Switchfast Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Switchfast Technologies CEO Jim Anderson
Jim Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company, great people, different and overall amazing place to work"

Current Employee - A Skilled Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - A Skilled Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your knowledge will constantly grow as things are ever changing.
    The co-workers actually work with each other instead of against each other.
    There is opportunity to grow.
    You are not stuck in a cubicle but rather a really beautiful office with an open floor plan and exposed brick.
    You get to go on client sites rather than just stay in the office 100% of the time.
    They are very understanding with scheduling conflicts or if you have kids/pets
    You get to bring your dog to work
    Work activities that encourage interaction outside of work
    Beer and beverages are supplied for free
    Management staff is very helpful and participates with employees versus just sitting behind a desk
    You can have a desk where you stand or sit; it is your choice
    Overtime is allowed and accepted

Cons

If you don't like on call work this is not the place for you. There are rotating on call shifts for techs.
    Very structured in how documentation is performed but that is not necessarily a Con per say but if you are the type to want to do you own thing when it comes to documentation please do not apply.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing.
    Helping techs out when problems occur is amazing
    Keep up the positive feedback and reward the techs for hard work

Sep 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughtful and extensive feedback! I'm so happy to hear you are learning and growing in your career here. Your advice about positive feedback and rewards are excellent - in our... More

2. "Great People serving Great Clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging
    - Plenty of Opportunity to grow
    - Pay for development, certification and training
    - Supportive and collaborative
    - Smart co-workers
    - Plenty of tools to help me be successful

Cons

- Challenging
    - Hard work - we earn our money
    - We have 4 offices and several remote team members. Sometimes it feels a bit disjointed.

Advice to Management

-Continued investment in our workplace
    -More communication top-down / company-wide

"great people here and a very positive experience overall"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First off, I've worked for Switchfast nearly 8 years. You can take that as a positive review in itself.

Any job is going to have its share of pros and cons. And each of those pros and cons carry varying degrees of importance for different individual people. I have to say that the greatest pro I can list for Switchfast is the quality of character in the people it employs and in management.

I recently had a friend ask me what I liked most about my job. I said it was the people. They responded to say, "That's like 95...96...maybe 99 percent of what matters." And I certainly agreed. My peers are by and large hardworking, intelligent, helpful, and fun to be around. And I have a great deal of respect for Switchfast's ownership and management. They're honest, transparent, fair, and caring for all those employed here.

On a lesser note, it's really great not to commute and work downtown. We're situated in North Center, on the north side.

I'm giving Switchfast 5 out of 5 stars, not to say it's perfect. A 5-star system is just not the most precise way to judge your place of work. It's not a very three-dimensional way of looking at things.

I am giving 5 stars because if were to take all the pros and cons (large and small), then average it out on a scale of 100%, it comes pretty damn close to the top of that range. So, I say 5 out of 5 is a truly appropriate rating.

Cons

I guess I would like to see a little bit more organization from the top down when we're presented with new policies and sales with new clientele. This could go a ways to ease some ongoing frustrations. And for the future, I would like to see the average annual raise percentage go up.

I'm not interested in cataloging every little negative. These review sites make it easy to anonymously air petty grievances. They're fertile ground for inaccurate characterizations and unfair judgments on a business. (Take an earlier review where the author notes their own issue with alcoholism then casts aspersions on Switchfast for keeping beer on hand. That's a joke. It should not be considered the employer's responsibility to coddle and pander to you for your own personal demons.)

My overall experience here is very positive. See specifically the last two paragraphs in the pro section above.

"Bigger companies don't always offer better opportunities"

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time

Pros

Working at big corporations I realized that there really wasn't a culture, except for rewarding people for who they knew instead of the work they did, and where 20% of the people did 80% of the work. At Switchfast, I'm on a team where everyone works hard, and willingly helps each other to get the work done. Managers want your input and want you to succeed, which makes the company succeed. In that order. And we're growing.

Cons

Hiring needs to keep up with growth.

Oct 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I am in agreement with you about small vs. big companies - and I'm glad to see you feel supported by your teammates and your manager here. I also agree with your feedback... More

"Perfect place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Strategic Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, fun social environment, lots of room for growth and advancement, open door management, teamwork approach, career roadmaps

Cons

None that I can think of

Oct 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to hear you have enjoyed the environment and felt supported while you've grown your career! Thanks, Jim

"Great company; warm culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Really fantastic team!
    - People are super helpful - even in the midst of their own work responsibilities. Have found that the team around me (leadership, techs, finance, marketing and HR is committed to delivering high quality work while being helpful.
    - Love that it's a process driven company - clear expectations and have been given the tools to succeed.
    - Leadership is caring and open to questions as well as being willing to collaborate on how best approach a challenge.
    - Have also found the company to be very flexible with work/life while keeping performance expectations high but attainable. Good challenge!
    - Lots of smart people - good environment overall.
    - Company provided lunches, snacks, breakfasts, beverages are a nice touch - good way to thank the team.

Cons

Super quiet office -- not a "con" -- just an observation.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Sep 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm really glad to hear you are enjoying your teammates and find them to be helpful - as one of our core values, Helpfulness is perhaps the most powerful. Everyone has a... More

"Great mid-tier IT company"

I worked at Switchfast Technologies part-time

Pros

Fast paced, great environment

Cons

disconnect between IT team and operations team, was on two separate offices, now I'm unsure.

Sep 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the environment and pace. With a few different offices in our HQ building and another in the suburbs, keeping the entire team in the loop and... More

"Great for experience, but jump ship when you got everything out of it."

I worked at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to gain wide range of experience quickly

Cons

Very little organizational focus
    Hard to move up

Advice to Management

Interact with your techs and promote internally

Sep 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear you gained a lot of experience while you were here and I hope it has been helpful for you.
    Regarding promotion paths, managers have ongoing dialogues... More

"Not worth the pizza"

Current Employee - Tech
    Current Employee - Tech

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, good neighborhood, cool office

Cons

Low salary, very overworked, and... recovering alcoholics or those with alcohol issues, beware - fridge stocked full of free beer on Fridays, everyone around you is drinking. Very difficult to manage for some of us. Wish they would have warned me.

Apr 4, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback and for your hard work. We do our best to create a welcoming, comfortable, and supportive environment for everyone. I’m glad you like the people on the team. I do too. It... More

"You get out what you put in."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Switchfast Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of growth and learning opportunities if you are willing to put in the time and push yourself a little outside of your comfort zone. Most environments are standardized in virtualization and certain networking hardware but there are still several environments that don't fit the mold and have unique more complex configurations. Certifications and other training are encouraged and will generally carry incentives beyond just personal growth.

Management maintains an open door policy and it generally feels like you're heard when you approach management and C-levels with ideas, concerns, etc. They are often very flexible and are willing to work with people on most issues but they do expect a balanced outcome, so there is some give and take which, in my opinion, is a good thing.

Just like most things, you get out what you put in. Switchfast is a great place to work if you are willing to keep your nose to the grindstone and always be pushing yourself.

Cons

Despite standardization of hardware, virtualization, etc, the environments are often configured and supported in an inconsistent manner. Work/life balance can feel like it is pretty bad at times but that is generally the case in the IT field and especially with MSPs. The team structure works out to be 6-7 person silos which creates invisible walls and makes it difficult to feel like you're part of something bigger.

Overall it felt like there was a lack of ownership across the operations team and sometimes interdepartmentally as well.

Advice to Management

Push for more accountability among leadership, management, and operations. Be more aggressive in identifying areas where active management and/or training is needed. Re-evaluate the team structuring to determine if the silo effect is a detriment to company culture.

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful feedback. I very much appreciate the hard work you and your teammates have put in to growing our company - and I recognize the effort it has taken. I am... More