Switchfast Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Anderson

"Great company, great people, different and overall amazing place to work"

Current Employee - A Skilled Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - A Skilled Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your knowledge will constantly grow as things are ever changing.
    The co-workers actually work with each other instead of against each other.
    There is opportunity to grow.
    You are not stuck in a cubicle but rather a really beautiful office with an open floor plan and exposed brick.
    You get to go on client sites rather than just stay in the office 100% of the time.
    They are very understanding with scheduling conflicts or if you have kids/pets
    You get to bring your dog to work
    Work activities that encourage interaction outside of work
    Beer and beverages are supplied for free
    Management staff is very helpful and participates with employees versus just sitting behind a desk
    You can have a desk where you stand or sit; it is your choice
    Overtime is allowed and accepted

Cons

If you don't like on call work this is not the place for you. There are rotating on call shifts for techs.
    Very structured in how documentation is performed but that is not necessarily a Con per say but if you are the type to want to do you own thing when it comes to documentation please do not apply.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing.
    Helping techs out when problems occur is amazing
    Keep up the positive feedback and reward the techs for hard work

"I love my co-workers, is that weird?"

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time

Pros

- Great team members that collaborate and support one another
    - Pay for certification and professional development
    - Encourage you expand your comfort zone
    - Lots of career advancement and new job opportunities right now. Seems like they can't hire fast enuf.

Cons

- while rewarding, the work can be difficult / challenging. I haven't found a job that is rewarding AND easy. Let me know if you do ;)
    - dealing with clients in a crisis takes a special touch, not everyone has what it takes

Advice to Management

More Ping Pong and xbox Tournaments

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for the feedback and positive thoughts. I appreciate the effort everyone here puts in to challenge themselves with their work and growing their careers. Thanks! - Jim

"You get out what you put in."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Switchfast Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of growth and learning opportunities if you are willing to put in the time and push yourself a little outside of your comfort zone. Most environments are standardized in virtualization and certain networking hardware but there are still several environments that don't fit the mold and have unique more complex configurations. Certifications and other training are encouraged and will generally carry incentives beyond just personal growth.

Management maintains an open door policy and it generally feels like you're heard when you approach management and C-levels with ideas, concerns, etc. They are often very flexible and are willing to work with people on most issues but they do expect a balanced outcome, so there is some give and take which, in my opinion, is a good thing.

Just like most things, you get out what you put in. Switchfast is a great place to work if you are willing to keep your nose to the grindstone and always be pushing yourself.

Cons

Despite standardization of hardware, virtualization, etc, the environments are often configured and supported in an inconsistent manner. Work/life balance can feel like it is pretty bad at times but that is generally the case in the IT field and especially with MSPs. The team structure works out to be 6-7 person silos which creates invisible walls and makes it difficult to feel like you're part of something bigger.

Overall it felt like there was a lack of ownership across the operations team and sometimes interdepartmentally as well.

Advice to Management

Push for more accountability among leadership, management, and operations. Be more aggressive in identifying areas where active management and/or training is needed. Re-evaluate the team structuring to determine if the silo effect is a detriment to company culture.

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful feedback. I very much appreciate the hard work you and your teammates have put in to growing our company - and I recognize the effort it has taken. I am ... More

"People care"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great team. Everyone is committed to doing quality work and most will go out of their way to help out a peer.
    - My manager is committed to my success in and out of work. He cares about how my family is doing, checks in on my work/life balance, and is always available to help me through a difficult or frustrating task or situation.
    - Professional development is very important here. On the clock training time, training materials, and cert reimbursement are all offered and your progress is encouraged.

Cons

- Lean to a fault. Meeting client expectations can be difficult when someone has a day off. We operate with small teams. One person on PTO or engaged with a client emergency means that the service team's capacity is down by 25%.

Advice to Management

I think that improving visibility and communication between departments to keep everyone on the same page would be very helpful. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing.

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear you enjoy the team and you feel supported by management. Your feedback on improving communication between departments is really valuable, and this year ... More

"Support Technician II"

Former Employee - Support Technician II in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Support Technician II in Chicago, IL

I worked at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture they use to vet out others is great and generally speaking you'll like most people you work with.

Cons

Low pay and not very competitive
    They are constantly under staffed
    Everything is pretty chaotic due to poor management skills (CTO will use ultimatums instead of compromise, Switchfast will always try to be in the positive light I.e. Blame the employee)
    Very menial rewards for going above and beyond

Ultimately you feel overworked and replacable 95% of the time.

They have a ton of turnover and struggle through it as they don't have good management, training or standard operating procedure outlined in their service department.

Switchfast is like a lot of other MSPs in Chicago (core values, customer oriented, finding the "right" solutions, etc.) and there are more polished businesses out there.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more
    Give more PTO availability and make better contributions to your employees and they might stick around.

Jun 29, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad you liked the culture and the people you worked with. I take your feedback seriously as we work hard to provide a positive experience and long term career growth ... More

"Great Company, Great People."

Former Employee - Technical Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-You really have a voice. I can think of a number of suggestions I made regarding workplace environment, processes and personnel that were implemented over the years.
    -You get to see a lot of technology. Since the clients vary in size and vertical, you really learn how to troubleshoot and get a deep understanding of how everything works.
    -Management really cares about career advancement. Switchfast reimburses and provides training time for certifications.
    -Most importantly, they really care about their people. I've seen them work with people a number of times when "life" issues come up.

Cons

-A small but vocal minority of clients can be difficult, by either being rude, or forcing time consuming workarounds because they don't care to upgrade their infrastructure or use a business class solution.

Advice to Management

-Get rid of the troublesome clients and stand your ground when recommending upgrades and alternate solutions.
    -Keep up the good work.

Feb 23, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback, and I appreciate the 5+ years you invested in being a part of the team. I am happy to hear you learned a lot while here, and I am especially happy to know you felt heard ... More

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Systems Technician II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Technician II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open and relatively transparent operation
    Constantly evolving, once you have earned senority your opinion can be impactful
    Positive environment, management seems genuinely concerned with keeping it that way
    Upper management is some of the best I've dealt with. CEO/CTO/HR are all top notch and seem genuinely concerned with the well-being of everyone from the top to the bottom

Cons

Rapid changes and expansion have, as others have mentioned, led to some questionable hires/placement
    Reactive staffing has led to imbalanced workloads (saw this in another review and agree wholeheartedly)
    Also as a result of the rapid growth/expansion/evolution, processes often change faster then they can be completely implemented leading to poorly defined/communicated directives
    Benefits seem to be slowly whittling away - PTO policy changing to be more restrictive as well as losing a day in the upcoming year, 401k plan becoming less attractive, health premiums going up (although that's not entirely at the hands of the company)

Advice to Management

Actually have little that I can say negatively about how the company is managed. This is only a minor detail, but possibly try to pay more attention to the disparity in workload between the tech teams - some have teams that are regularly putting in overtime week after week, while some regularly have techs that are looking for work for hours at a time

Feb 4, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback. I appreciate your thoughts on staffing and advice on the workload. We have learned from feedback like yours, along with periods of rapid growth in our ... More

"Impactful, meaningful work with opportunities for growth"

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Small company where new ideas are encouraged, valued, and used.
    - Genuine concern for people, not just profit
    - Career maps help guide careers and how to get to the next levels
    - Plenty of room to learn if willing
    - High functioning team environment
    - Potential for annual raise
    - Clear accountability
    - Every position has a significant impact on the company and its clients
    - "Culture" goes beyond a ping-pong table and focuses on professional and personal growth that allows plenty of opportunity for enjoyment in the workplace.

Cons

- This can be tough work with long hours (some overtime available)

Feb 4, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. Our focus on developing career roadmaps and increasing 1:1 coaching sessions has had very positive results. I appreciate all the hard work our team members have put in over ... More

"Good place to start"

Current Employee - IT Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-get to see a lot of different technologies
    -generally good people to work with
    -will pay for certs and give raises when passed
    -generally organized enviornment

Cons

-reactive in terms of staffing, sometimes resulting in an uneven workload, some people are overworked while others have nothing to do
    -little room for growth after a couple years
    -some questionable new hires
    -generally low pay, increased my salary 20% by leaving
    -typical MSP, revolving door of new employees and people leaving

Advice to Management

Work on improving your hiring process

Feb 4, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback and advice. Throughout 2014, we invested in a proactive recruiting and staffing approach to help mitigate some of the challenges you mention. I take it seriously when an ... More

"Long time employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Switchfast Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to learn. Don't stay more than 3 years.

Cons

The pay is really low. You could make more waiting tables.

Advice to Management

I almost doubled my salary after leaving. Do not stay more than 3 years.

Feb 4, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback and I’m glad to hear you learned a lot while here. Our goal is to provide a competitive compensation package for every employee. Over the years, we have improved in this ... More