Swoon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Michelle Baker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would highly recommend Swoon to future candidates" (in 8 reviews)

• "This is the most transparent and fun company I have ever worked for" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be difficult to have a work-life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Staffing is not for everyone but if you have the passion there are no cons with Swoon" (in 8 reviews)

"-"

Pros

Temporary work frees up your schedule

Cons

The waiting for an assignment.

"BEWARE"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Swoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good. Be wary though, you’ll never use all the PTO because the goals are unattainable and vacation is secretly discouraged (unless you're a favorite).
    Young culture can be fun at times (Lolla), but ends up resulting in unprofessional behaviors - leadership included.
    90% of the people here are pretty cool/down to earth, but cool does not equal good to work with.

Cons

* Turnover. Do a quick search on LinkedIn of everyone who only stayed for 1-2 years. They will scapegoat and say that people needed to leave, which may be true in some cases, but definitely not most. Then, they will try some half-hearted attempt at accepting turnover and claim they are 'continuously changing and improving,' but they aren't. There are a few people in leadership who have been there for awhile due to obvious favoritism and the Founder's inability and unwillingness to hold those people accountable. They have no reason to leave a cushy job. Outside of leadership, there is no one that has been there for any real length of time. See for yourself.
        * Take positive reviews with a grain of salt, and pay attention to the tenure of those 'reviewers' as most of those people haven’t worked there for longer than 6 months. They essentially force new hires to write reviews while they are in the honeymoon phase. Also, contractors are encouraged to write reviews, so that skews the data on Glassdoor greatly.
        * Refusal to accept any feedback, whatsoever. If you are struggling, they tell you that you'll be able to contribute to change when you're a top performer. Then, when you do become a top performer, they'll tell you that the challenges you face clearly don't matter because you were able to overcome the obstacles before, and the under performers just need to 'work harder.' It's a Catch 22 that keeps them from reaching the next level as a business.
        * Lack of direction of any sort: Every 6 months the founder changes his mind and, in turn, the entire direction and structure of the organization. They will make a drastic change on a whim, but not plan out any actual implementation and then to everyone’s 'surprise,' it doesn’t work and he will change everything again.
        * Lack of professional development. They don’t take anyone's career seriously, even if you work your butt off for them. They believe that they are doing you a favor by letting you work there.
        * Overall, Swoon has a very negative environment. Its 100% the fault of leadership. They emphasize how open and transparent they are, but I witnessed firsthand the level of gossip that happens at the leadership level. When the leaders do those things, how do they expect everyone else to hold themselves to a higher standard? Leadership takes no fault for anything and claim that employees are negative or were “bad apples” that needed to leave, but those “bad apples” happened to be some of the best people they had.
        * The only people that are happy at Swoon are people that are either brand new, and don’t know any better, or the 'favorites'. You will very quickly learn that certain practices are enforced for the “regular employee” versus a favorite. If you are a favorite and unsuccessful at hitting your goal, they will literally just create a new job for you that never existed. If you are not one of the chosen few, they will put you on an unobtainable Performance Improvement Plan based on goals that no one else has ever achieved, rendering you with nothing else to do but search for a new job.
        * It’s all very fake. I worked there too hard for too long. I was someone that came in early and stayed late. It gets you nowhere, honestly. There are too many other great companies to explore. Swoon has nothing to offer except a cool office space, and kegs in the kitchen. Its all cool at first, but not worth the headaches that come with working there.

Advice to Management

I gave quality advice while I worked there that went absolutely nowhere, so this will fall on deaf ears for sure. Can't wait to read their response.

* Invest in Authentic Leaders. Your ineffective, immature leaders push out good people. If any company should know 'people quit their boss not the job', its a staffing company. Swoon does hire good people who really work hard and want to be successful but then they squander those people by having them report to inexperienced leads.
        * I honestly think the founder needs to step back from his involvement in the day to day. He's a 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants' guy and is charismatic enough that people will just blindly follow him. They lack actual leadership and direction and no one in Senior Leadership has the guts to disagree with the founder to create change. His random whims and ideas just exhaust everyone and results in the entire company chasing their tails. He has already made himself very successful and has no desire in helping high performers reach a similar level of success. Its all talk.
        * Pay more, have better hours, provide more training, treat your employees like adults. The best thing they can do for their business would be to hire better leaders and actually hold them accountable. The existing leaders don't have what it takes to build their business or to lead others. None have been in a leadership role anywhere else, and lack any formal management training. They are all just winging it. If Swoon wants to be more profitable, they will need to think years down the road, not 3 months. Ask what their 5 year goals are, guaranteed they say they don't know, but will try to pretty it up by saying you can be part of building what the company looks like.

Jul 17, 2018 – HR Specialist

We were very disappointed and surprised to read this review because our founders and the leadership team encourage our employees to speak up whenever they have concerns. Swoon has an amazingly... More

"Extraordinary Experience!"

I have been working at Swoon full-time

Pros

Transparency, communication and the constant positive energy!

Cons

None at this time!!

Apr 17, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

Welcome to the team! We are glad to have you and thrilled to hear you are having a positive experience with us.

"Very Disappointing Company Culture"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Swoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work there are pretty great excluding leadership. The recruiting and sales teams are genuine, hard-working people that truly care about their success. The perks (not to be confused with culture) are great. Tons of happy hours, beer in the kitchen, snacks, occasional WFH days (that come with a price), and a pretty solid benefit package. Going to Lollapalooza is fun.

Cons

It is sold as a fun culture, but there is a major difference between culture and perks, that is truly lost on Senior Leadership. Culture is about creating a feeling of ownership in your employees, and making them buy into the company's goals, because they feel they're being invested in. There is little to no opportunity for career growth, and this is largely because there is a core group of people that have been with the company from the start that receive opportunities with very little training or knowledge around the teams they're leading.

It is a culture of 'what have you done for me lately' and although they preach collaboration, they only really care about individual performance. If a team member next to you is struggling, they will tell you to 'worry about yourself, and will ultimately terminate that employee, and take 0% responsibility for it. They deem certain employees as 'bad apples' or 'bad hires' when in reality, this means 1 of 2 things. Either they are a staffing agency that is incapable of finding the right people for even themselves, calling into question the credibility of their business in general OR (more likely) their 200% turnover rate of their sales team, and 40% turnover rate of their recruiting team probably has something to do with the way the company is being run.

Managers don't have training in the areas they manage, or in management itself, so it really is up to the individual to attain the goals that are put in front of them. The goals are created based on the hopes and dreams of Senior Leadership, and are created with little to no thought around actual business analytics.

They are actually OBSESSED with Glassdoor, and instead of reading this and feeling any personal consequence whatsoever, they will instruct an army of new recruiters to write posts or make up profiles to talk about how this is 'the best place ever' in hopes of continuing to trick people into working there. Myself, and the nearly 25 other people that left last year wish I would have heeded the negative reviews prior to signing on.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to exit interview feedback, and stop excusing yourselves for negative feedback and the overall unhappiness of the senior members of the team. There is no such thing as 'positive attrition,' and it is alarming that after the amount of turnover you've suffered you continue to throw this term around. Take personal and professional responsibility for your mistakes and work to be better.

Finally, if you don't actually want feedback, then just don't ask for it. There is probably nothing more annoying or frustrating than being prompted to share feedback, and then being told that you are 'being negative' if you say something that doesn't align with the brainwashed opinion of leadership.

Apr 24, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

Swoon is a company where we have to remain agile and adjust as the business demands us to do so. Feedback from our team, including exit interviews, has been the catalyst for adjustments in... More

"Best Place I've Worked!"

I have been working at Swoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reading so many good reviews about a company can seem like it's almost too good to be true, but Swoon is truly a fantastic company to work for. We are growing fast and for a staffing group that's not even 10 years old, we've accomplished so much and have really cemented our place in this industry, competing with top agencies that have been around for over a decade. The best part about working for Swoon is that everyone genuinely wants to work hard for themselves and for the company. Coworkers are extremely encouraging. We celebrate the success (small or big) of everyone and have great leadership in all departments to learn from, but also keep us accountable.

Cons

The hours can be long, but with any position at Swoon, you are going to get out what you put in. Recruiters who choose to work a little extra on the weekends will come out ahead on a Monday morning. There's also lot of metrics driven in analyzing your performance. Is it everything? No. But numbers speak for themselves and we are still a business that needs to make sure our goals are being met. That said, there are so many great plans that leads put together to set you up for success. No one here wants to see you fail. An individual win is everyone's win. Honestly, this isn't a place for people that just want to coast by. Swoon is filled with hard working people that want to succeed. If you don't have that drive or motivation, it may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

We are growing fast and in different locations. Making sure we have the resources to grow out teams and to train is important.

Mar 5, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are happy to have you on our team!

"Great Company to Work for!"

I have been working at Swoon full-time

Pros

Super friendly people who want to help you succeed, like-minded & ambitious professionals, and fun company outings. If you are prepared to work hard and see the rewards of that then this place is for you!

Cons

Can be difficult to have a work-life balance

Mar 12, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We are glad to have you on our TEAM!

"Contract Recruiter...Great First Experience!"

Pros

A very good experience working with my Recruiter Julius. Julius was quite well versed with understanding my Resume and matching it with their major clients requirements.

Cons

None at this time. This seems like a Great Company to work with/for. It’s refreshing to know the staff is well trained and understand what their customers are really looking for.

Advice to Management

Recognize the people that represent Swoon... it’s evident by the awards you have received that you’re on the right track.

Feb 19, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had the 5-star experience with Julius! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us.

"Where has Swoon been all of my life??!"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Swoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best companies I have worked for!! Management is supportive, engaging and very motivating. They really care about their employees and are empathetic to our needs. They have given me the tools to succeed in this role. I love my job!

Cons

Get ready to work REALLY HARD! Hours are extensive but very well worth it :) #driven

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!

Feb 12, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

We are so pleased to have a hardworking, talented Swooner like you on our Sales Team!

"Great recruiting agency"

Current Employee - AML Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - AML Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Swoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My recruiter helped me tremendously for interview preparation among many other things. He continued to help me through my journey as a consultant for a large financial institution.

Cons

Limited benefits, ultimately a good staffing agency to work for that will help you grow your career and assist you in networking.

Feb 19, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We value your feedback and are glad your recruiter has continued to be hands-on!

"Recruiter"

I have been working at Swoon full-time

Pros

Swoon has an excellent company culture. Working here has been a great experience within the Staffing industry. The organization is fairly new but a lot of growth within the company. The internal employees treat everyone with respect and the senior leadership has an open policy. Would recommend anyone to Swoon for IT or Professional opportunities.

Cons

Work life balance could be better if there was a WFH option. This is the staffing industry, so money never sleeps.

Jan 29, 2018 – Marketing Communications Specialist

Thank you for your positive review. We pride ourselves on our company culture and transparent structure. We appreciate your feedback and are looking into options.