Swoon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 2, 2019

4.7
Michelle Baker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would highly recommend Swoon to future candidates" (in 8 reviews)

• "This is the most transparent and fun company I have ever worked for" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance (depending on how you look at it)" (in 11 reviews)

• "Staffing is not for everyone but if you have the passion there are no cons with Swoon" (in 8 reviews)

"(San Diego Office) Great people, awesome work location"

Pros

Starting pay is really competitive, leadership is top notch, located right in the heart of downtown, opportunities to have quick and prolonged success.

Cons

No local market so you can’t meet up with local candidates and “Swoon” them.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, create a local market.

Jan 22, 2019 – HR Specialist

Swoon is continuing to grow, and we look forward to breaking into local markets. Thanks for your feedback!

2. "A facade"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Swoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Solid initiatives that make up the company culture (i.e. “First Fridays”)

-Decent incentives for high performers

Cons

-work/life balance

-closed off upper management

-lack of support and coaching for first-time recruiters

-superficial interactions between leadership and employees

Advice to Management

If Swoon cares about retaining talent, management needs to be realistic about how to truly support and empower recruiters to stay. Pipe dreams about what “can be” doesn’t help recruiters do better and succeed.

Be more transparent consistently and not when it’s in the company’s best interest or word has already gotten out through the grapevine

Feb 4, 2019 – HR Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback! One of Swoon's values is transparency, and we encourage all of our employees to be open and honest in sharing their thoughts and opinions. It is our hope that... More

"Top notch Staffing Firm"

I have been working at Swoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an exciting time to be at Swoon! Tons of growth and advancement opportunities. Swoon truly values their employees. They work hard and have fun while doing it. They have some of the most talented and hardworking people I've ever encountered!

Cons

Staffing is hard work, but comes with great rewards.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The leadership, especially on the Recruiting team, is top notch.

Jan 22, 2019 – HR Specialist

Continued feedback from our employees is what helps create those top notch leaders, keep it coming!

"Professional Recruiter"

I have been working at Swoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity and room for growth.
    Amazing people to work with and always willing to help you grow.

Cons

Work/Life balance but is typical of the staffing industry.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and looking to improve/grow the company

Jan 22, 2019 – HR Specialist

Thank you! We are looking forward to 2019 as we continue to grow, thanks to the help of our amazing employees!

"Swoon Cares"

Current Employee - Contractor
    Current Employee - Contractor

I have been working at Swoon full-time

Pros

Justine is AMAZING! She has worked with me over the last few months to place my in my dream company. Strong follow-up. Great listeners. Empathy. Humor. Proactive in pay negotiation and communication. First time I've ever felt like a recruiter/agency really has my success at heart

Cons

I'm in CA, and Swoon is in IL, and I can't come into the office to thank them in person

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Hire more people like Justine.

Nov 26, 2018 – HR Specialist

We are so happy to hear you are enjoying your role, and we agree, Justine is an amazing recruiter!

"Direct Hire Recruiter"

I have been working at Swoon full-time

Pros

Lot's of opportunity, great team, fun environment.

Cons

none at this point in time

Advice to Management

keep it up!

Nov 26, 2018 – HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback!

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Swoon full-time

Pros

Hire great people
    Can easily shift direction to support client needs
    Transparent CEO and President
    My experience has been fair compensation for all employees
    Fun company outings
    Leadership listens to employees even if they don't necessarily want to
    A good amount of vacation time

Cons

Tough industry
    Work/life balance (depending on how you look at it)

Advice to Management

Thanks. Keep it going.

Nov 26, 2018 – HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! Swoon has a very open and transparent culture where all employee feedback is welcomed and valued.

"Professional Recruiter"

Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Swoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Swoon is an amazing company to work for! Wonderful benefits, people, and opportunity to make lots of money. I love that I have the opportunity to speak with leadership and speak freely... you can't do that at most staffing agencies. They understand the challenges and aren't afraid to hit them dead on. I am looking forward to my future and to see what Swoon has in store!

Cons

Work life balance but that's with any staffing agency.

Nov 26, 2018 – HR Specialist

We are looking forward to your future at Swoon as well! Thank you for the feedback, and please... keep it coming!

"Great opportunity for growth"

I have been working at Swoon full-time

Pros

Great culture, opportunity for growth, commission structure, and incentives!

Cons

Hard to say, but always busy (which means business is great) and a lot of competition

Nov 26, 2018 – HR Specialist

Thank you for the review!

"BEWARE"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Swoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good. Be wary though, you’ll never use all the PTO because the goals are unattainable and vacation is secretly discouraged (unless you're a favorite).
    Young culture can be fun at times (Lolla), but ends up resulting in unprofessional behaviors - leadership included.
    90% of the people here are pretty cool/down to earth, but cool does not equal good to work with.

Cons

* Turnover. Do a quick search on LinkedIn of everyone who only stayed for 1-2 years. They will scapegoat and say that people needed to leave, which may be true in some cases, but definitely not most. Then, they will try some half-hearted attempt at accepting turnover and claim they are 'continuously changing and improving,' but they aren't. There are a few people in leadership who have been there for awhile due to obvious favoritism and the Founder's inability and unwillingness to hold those people accountable. They have no reason to leave a cushy job. Outside of leadership, there is no one that has been there for any real length of time. See for yourself.
        * Take positive reviews with a grain of salt, and pay attention to the tenure of those 'reviewers' as most of those people haven’t worked there for longer than 6 months. They essentially force new hires to write reviews while they are in the honeymoon phase. Also, contractors are encouraged to write reviews, so that skews the data on Glassdoor greatly.
        * Refusal to accept any feedback, whatsoever. If you are struggling, they tell you that you'll be able to contribute to change when you're a top performer. Then, when you do become a top performer, they'll tell you that the challenges you face clearly don't matter because you were able to overcome the obstacles before, and the under performers just need to 'work harder.' It's a Catch 22 that keeps them from reaching the next level as a business.
        * Lack of direction of any sort: Every 6 months the founder changes his mind and, in turn, the entire direction and structure of the organization. They will make a drastic change on a whim, but not plan out any actual implementation and then to everyone’s 'surprise,' it doesn’t work and he will change everything again.
        * Lack of professional development. They don’t take anyone's career seriously, even if you work your butt off for them. They believe that they are doing you a favor by letting you work there.
        * Overall, Swoon has a very negative environment. Its 100% the fault of leadership. They emphasize how open and transparent they are, but I witnessed firsthand the level of gossip that happens at the leadership level. When the leaders do those things, how do they expect everyone else to hold themselves to a higher standard? Leadership takes no fault for anything and claim that employees are negative or were “bad apples” that needed to leave, but those “bad apples” happened to be some of the best people they had.
        * The only people that are happy at Swoon are people that are either brand new, and don’t know any better, or the 'favorites'. You will very quickly learn that certain practices are enforced for the “regular employee” versus a favorite. If you are a favorite and unsuccessful at hitting your goal, they will literally just create a new job for you that never existed. If you are not one of the chosen few, they will put you on an unobtainable Performance Improvement Plan based on goals that no one else has ever achieved, rendering you with nothing else to do but search for a new job.
        * It’s all very fake. I worked there too hard for too long. I was someone that came in early and stayed late. It gets you nowhere, honestly. There are too many other great companies to explore. Swoon has nothing to offer except a cool office space, and kegs in the kitchen. Its all cool at first, but not worth the headaches that come with working there.

Advice to Management

I gave quality advice while I worked there that went absolutely nowhere, so this will fall on deaf ears for sure. Can't wait to read their response.

* Invest in Authentic Leaders. Your ineffective, immature leaders push out good people. If any company should know 'people quit their boss not the job', its a staffing company. Swoon does hire good people who really work hard and want to be successful but then they squander those people by having them report to inexperienced leads.
        * I honestly think the founder needs to step back from his involvement in the day to day. He's a 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants' guy and is charismatic enough that people will just blindly follow him. They lack actual leadership and direction and no one in Senior Leadership has the guts to disagree with the founder to create change. His random whims and ideas just exhaust everyone and results in the entire company chasing their tails. He has already made himself very successful and has no desire in helping high performers reach a similar level of success. Its all talk.
        * Pay more, have better hours, provide more training, treat your employees like adults. The best thing they can do for their business would be to hire better leaders and actually hold them accountable. The existing leaders don't have what it takes to build their business or to lead others. None have been in a leadership role anywhere else, and lack any formal management training. They are all just winging it. If Swoon wants to be more profitable, they will need to think years down the road, not 3 months. Ask what their 5 year goals are, guaranteed they say they don't know, but will try to pretty it up by saying you can be part of building what the company looks like.

Jul 17, 2018 – HR Specialist

We were very disappointed and surprised to read this review because our founders and the leadership team encourage our employees to speak up whenever they have concerns. Swoon has an amazingly... More