Systems & Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Systems & Software Reviews

3.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A little big company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Systems & Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, Pretty decent benefits (although helath insurance is a bit high) but 401k and other perks are great. Seemed intenet on keeping good people around. Supportive management. Customers were loyal. PTO was increadable and I had a hard time using it all.

Cons

- Some longtime employees feel too comfortable and seem to slack on actual work.
    - Lontime employees seemed to be regular bottlenecks for issue resolution as there was only 1 person that could fix certin issues.
    - Travel, although warned about it upfront and the % they thought would happen was correct, it still sucks to be gone so much and I really don't think the "face time" was as valuable as they did.

Advice to Management

Provide more cross training. Provide more support for employees that want to grow and succeed. Add some additional code writing staff and increase knowledge sharing.

2. "where to begin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williston, VT

I worked at Systems & Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

spacious parking lot
    $25 soda
    friday breakfast in earlier times. occasional cookouts

Cons

lack of training on all levels- including mid-level managers promoted from within with no management training
    high employee turnover
    loyalty is not a valued commodity, nor is it reciprocated

Advice to Management

Train the mid-level managers. Work to engender trust.

3. "Established company that's having trouble keeping pace with the Modern workforce"

I worked at Systems & Software full-time

Pros

- It's a small, friendly company
    - They have decent benefits (PTO, Medical); Medical is expensive though.
    - Reasonably modern office space
    - Good, friendly people
    - Free Coffee

Cons

- Many roles do not build experience other local companies are looking for
    - Lagging technologies
    - No training, high expectations
    - Limited opportunities for advancement
    - Annual Salary increases for good employees fall below cost-of-living, may not even cover cost of Healthcare premium increases.
    - No one cares about Utility Software; you will not feel like you're saving world supporting/installing/developing Utility software
    - Culture is not a priority; morale has steadily declined for a number of years

Advice to Management

Too many people got (and are getting) frustrated with the stagnation and know there are better opportunities in the area. Satisfied employees do better work. If as much attention was paid to the employees and the culture as was paid to ratios, revenue forecasts, and timesheets, this would be one of the best places in the area to work.

4. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Williston, VT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Williston, VT

I have been working at Systems & Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are open positions at every level, Opportunities come often, flexible work schedule, travel, never bored

Cons

Some people would say "Change". Company often does adjustments with Management and their structure. I prefer change, so this isn't much of a problem with me.

Advice to Management

Help your team to prioritize, and communicate with them often.

5. "Talented, dedicated coworkers"

Pros

The best thing about Systems & Software are the people that I work with. With only 85 people, we all know each other and spend a lot of time working on projects together. Many of us also spend time together outside of work.
    The employees are also giving. We have participated in marathons as a team, supported various Relay For Life events, hosted a Dragonboat team for the past three years, and have been a long time supporter of the Special Olympics through the Penguin Plunge and other activities.
    S&S hires dedicated, hard working, smart people who care about doing an excellent job.
    Our software is large and complex, giving you lots of opportunities to learn new things!

Cons

There is weekend and evening work involved because of the nature of our software, west coast customers, and fixes needing to be put in place at customer sites after normal business hours. It's usually planned in advance, but there are occasional after hours calls for issue resolution depending on your job role.

6. "Decent"

I worked at Systems & Software full-time

Pros

Great people, great location, flexible work schedules. Tons of responsibilities available to be taken over.

Cons

The uppers are more concerned about bottom line than quality, but times are tough so it's justified. Corporate ownership makes raises/promotions difficult. Product is old and slow.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training managers, work on better time management, developers are constantly overworked, supplying breakfast every friday isn't going to buy loyalty, actually listen to your employees and aid in work/life balance.

"Good people, but management structure needs work"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Burlington, VT

I worked at Systems & Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people for the most part.
    Some managers will go out of their way to help you.
    Opportunities in a mission critical niche industry

Cons

The bonus/increases are very arbitrary.
    Little to no room for career progression
    Management plays favorites
    Some over the top personalities.
    Culture took a hit after company acquired.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage by means instead of manage by objective.