TV Azteca Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mario San Román

1. "Great if you're up for the challenge"

I worked at TV Azteca full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, moves fast and it offers great opportunities for learning about the industry

Cons

Reorganizations are very common, turn-over is also very high. It has an either adapt or leave kind of culture

2. "Tough place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TV Azteca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At any job, there is something positive to learn. Something to take out of. I appreciated my boss, he was understanding and tried when he could or wanted to lol. Lucky for me, I did have a healthy work/life balance but that is largely based on the individual. Don't let people take advantage of you, don't be too nice! But there are great people here, smart people who I believe deserve to be acknowledged and rewarded.

Cons

The people here aren't happy. Pass through the halls and you will likely be presented with somber faces and a dissatisfied energy that bounces of the old dark and drab hospital-like walls. Say "good morning" or "hello" and you'll be lucky to get a response, people seem to avoid wasting their energy on someone who may be slightly chipper or simply a happy person in general. I judged those people for a while, not understanding how one could carry such a clouded mindset and aura about them, until I slowly realized why.

Months will pass without a note of appreciation for your hard work then soon years, for those of us who choose to go the extra mile--may that be answering the phones on your lunch, staying a while longer to finish a project for someone or simply push your limit for the betterment of the role/company.

Soon you will note that close to ALL upper management find themselves too important to acknowledge who you are or greet you with a "hello" or "how are you". However, heaven forbid you make a mistake and you will be yelled at or spoken to in such a condescending matter it will make you question why you would choose to spend your time here. Raises, highly unlikely. Perks? What are those? "I have to work on Christmas Eve?" You betcha! Don't expect much but the minimum--if that.

This is how it goes: First you'll feel like a ghost, no one cares who you are or why you're there (unless they need something from you). Then you become a slave to the system (no room for growth, "it's not in the budget"--get used to hearing that), then a zombie (you stop caring, roaming the halls with the expectation of being laid off ) and lastly a monster (one of those dissatisfied/unhappy people I spoke of before who cares less than to smile at a new person who is thrilled & ready to make a difference). That's when I knew it was time to go, that isn't the person I wanted to be.

Just don't do it, if you can help it.

Advice to Management

Read my cons ^. Also, reward and acknowledge your employees. I get it, its not in the budget. But you have great people working there, people that won't stay if you continue treating them like nobody's. You're only as strong as your weakest link, and your links are getting weaker because you aren't heightening the morale.

3. "Production intern"

Pros

Get to do some field production, editing, teleprompter, and assist production of recording live programs.

Cons

It is not clear even after the internship whether they will have an opening for you. They keep a very tight production and it's not the perfect environment to grow in if you want a place to work up in.

Advice to Management

Be clear with interns before hiring them. Let them know what kind of environment you're running, that the company is in start up mode, and when the company is hiring a production assistant.

"Old school management"

Pros

OK healthcare benefits. I honestly cannot think of any pros.

Cons

Salary, PTO, Management, old school mentality + still use lotus notes as email!

Advice to Management

Train your people and offer better salaries.

6. "Little room for growth"

I worked at TV Azteca full-time

Pros

Work/life balance, friendly work environment

Cons

Salary on the low side

7. "Azteca America"

Pros

Ok learning experience and average compensation. Some team members are willing to train you and help you learn about the job and the company.

Cons

It is hard to work when there is so much internal conflict among team members. Not much opportunity for career advancement.

"Many Chief Indian commanders and very few warrior Indians."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Glendale, CA

Pros

It used to be a good and nice work environment within a friendly atmosphere of co-workers. Used to have good benefits such as a good healthcare, 401 K and severance. In paper they care about human values & charities. In real life I have my doubts. The main and only interest seem to be profit with out basic integrity. Functional Heads personal self interest which makes it even worst and without integrity to the company.

Cons

Unorganized work. Last minute calls. Everybody have a scapegoat in case they do something wrong, but if someone with less hierarchy does an error then you are the only one to blame, even if they help or silenced the error. Very good people with lots of talents were once in Azteca America, but the organization and the director get rid of them. People with lesser value but with sharp tongues are close to the functional head and ripping apart the organization with short term profits and speculative views. Unofficially I had two bosses. Just to cover the main one in case the other screw up.

Advice to Management

Stop producing junk that has been over and over the different spanish Networks. All the savings from ripping apart the organization structure is doubled by producing and airing junk programs that nobody watch. Sometimes I have my doubts that the saving is such because what they are doing is compromising the real assets of the company. People of high value have been fired and only the worst is the remanent. Stop looking for the near, closer and easier dollar , that could bring the total collapse of the company.

9. "Interesting, but flawed"

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Mexico City (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Mexico City (Mexico)

I worked at TV Azteca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with big brands, and a bunch of creative people. Demanding, but reasonable in regards to workload. You get to meet TV stars, many of who are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Internal political squabbles, rotating leadership, myopic view of their own strengths and weaknesses. Some people at upper level are there because they've been there forever, not because they are talented.

10. "Sales Executive"

I worked at TV Azteca full-time

Pros

You can learn a lot, it is a good school to create a career.

Cons

Hard work, too many hours in the office.

11. "Treasury"

Former Employee - Treasury Manager in Benito Juárez, Veracruz (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Treasury Manager in Benito Juárez, Veracruz (Mexico)

I worked at TV Azteca (More than a year)

Pros

Nice sector and interesting challenges

Cons

Not an employee focused company

Advice to Management

Hope to be more focused with employees