Cover image for TakeLessons

69% Recommend to a Friend
61% Approve of CEO

Found 86 of over 125 reviews

3.6
TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox (no image)
Steven Cox

70 Comments

Tech

457.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=TakeLessons~341025
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and community.(in 11 reviews)
  • "The pay is fair and you can live off of it.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Great work environment, friendly people, great company.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Everyone is friendly and they truly care about your success and wellbeing.(in 3 reviews)
  • "The culture and management at TakeLessons are why we work here.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "There are no benefits.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Professional sales people make between 10% and 20% commission... 20% is for the well seasoned and highly successful salesperson... SOMETIMES 25% can be negotiated by & for the EXTRAORDINARILY talented salesperson.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

English

Aug 26, 2021 - Lesson Writer in Pflugerville, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Creative, Funny, Attractive, Excellent, Peaceful

Cons

Boring, too long with no point

2. 4.0

Has it’s pros and cons

Sep 25, 2022 - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love teaching and having the freedom to create my own schedule well doing a job that I love. It’s also great that Take Lessons finds students for you. I created my profile and within days had my first student.

Cons

For private students it’s easy to understand how much you will make. Take Lessons is very straight forward about the percentage they will take from your pay per lesson. But, that are not straight forward about live classes and you have no idea what you are even making. All they will tell you is it’s based on an algorithm that they will not share . It’s also listed on there website that for live classes you get a flat rate even if no students show up but they won’t tell you what that flat rate is either.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the TakeLessons team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0

Shady with Zero Transparency

Oct 12, 2022 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Private Lessons are okay bc you know a range of what you'll be paid.

Cons

This company hides what their teachers will make per live class, saying it's based on an algorithm but not offering what that is, or any sort of range of pay. So they want you to work for them, and put all of your time and energy into teaching live classes - but they don't want you to know what they'll be paying you for it! What they've told me over and over again is that I need to wait until the next MONTH to see what I'll be paid for all the classes I've taught in this current month. This does not seem legal at all. "Work for us, and get a completely surprise pay!"

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great way to find students

Feb 19, 2022 - Private Teacher/Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

TakeLessons manages recruitment, reminders, payments, and tax forms for you. You set your own schedule.

Cons

TakeLessons takes a percentage and I mostly get new students during promotional periods, which means I get less.

6. 5.0

Excellent work culture!

Jun 22, 2021 - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing, and the CEO is extremely involved. It is a tight-knit team and the work culture is unlike any other I've experienced.

Cons

Currently pretty all remote, but other than that I love it!

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Former Teacher

Apr 28, 2021 - Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

freedom of schedule, fairly high tech website

Cons

limited student base in some areas, many students get coupons and only take a couple lessons and never plan on being full time students

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company and great culture

Feb 25, 2021 - Management in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

TakeLessons is a great, amazing team and amazing leadership. * Team has done well working remote, very collaborative and everyone seems to be responsible. * Leadership is transparent with where the business is * good opportunity due to growth

Cons

* every business has cons, as people are involved. I personally don't have any suggestions for improvements

9. 5.0

Frees me up to do what I love - teach

Feb 11, 2021 - Fiber Arts Instructor in Hartford, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Scheduling, Marketing, Customer support, Easy to use

Cons

Takes part of my pay (but worth it)

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good company to work for

Dec 24, 2020 - Trumpet Player in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Allows you to set your own rates - Payscale increases the longer you retain students

Cons

- Can be difficult to find students

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Great place to work!

Dec 20, 2020 - Content Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome company culture, organized and efficient processes, work for a company that makes a positive impact, fully remote.

Cons

I haven't found any cons thus far.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 86 Reviews
</>Embed

TakeLessons Reviews FAQs

TakeLessons has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 125 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at TakeLessons to a friend and 51% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, TakeLessons employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at TakeLessons. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

69% of TakeLessons employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated TakeLessons 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at TakeLessons to be career development, coworkers, culture and the cons to be management, benefits, compensation.