TakeLessons Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox
Steven Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I can turn my profile off when I'm not accepting new students (in 5 reviews)

• The company supports teachers by advertising, customer service, providing the online website/platform/scheduling and general assistance in any way (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are just starting you have no way to get new students (in 8 reviews)

• There are no benefits, and don't offer bonus's (in 6 reviews)

"Long time teacher 7 years"

Current Employee - Music Teacher Various Instruments in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Music Teacher Various Instruments in Portland, OR

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't have to lift a finger! My job is being a teacher. Last thing I want to do is be a bill collector. Take Lessons advertises for students and sets up billing and as far as I know has nothing but good things to say about each teacher that they represent. Yes they make money off of the teachers. But as a contract teacher myself, I have been able to keep some of my students five years, so I don't lose anything. I get a lot of reviews because I do a good job. And I'm sorry that other teachers do not feel good about Take Lessons. They have done so much for me and I'm loyal and grateful in return. I have only a few students with them right now, but I have had up to 25 at a time. The only reason is because I have 35 in my own business. It might take certain type of mindset to work for this company. I trust them completely, they have my back. If a client is upset for any reason they don't take it out on me. If you look at the big picture, you can see the company can help you get a start if you are new to the music teaching business.

Cons

If I had to say there were any cons at all, it would just be that there are too many teachers working there now. And unfortunately, I think that's why some of them are not getting enough students. But if you work well with The students you get, those students refer you to others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and communicating with your teachers. Web tutorials and reaching out to customers are great. Thanks for everything.

"Theft-Style Commission Rates"

Former Employee - Instructor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at TakeLessons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's nice and easy to find teachers of a wide variety subjects and skills and to browse their profiles. It's easy update one's own profile and its easy to remove.

Cons

They take 40% commission off the first 5 lessons of EACH and EVERY student that an instructor takes on. It takes teaching of TEN SESSIONS to finally pay the only legitimate commission rate - 10% with -again- each and every new student!

FYI
    Professional talent agents who are legit and successful receive 10% of their actors' income. Professional managers of talent - who are legit & successful - receive 15% of their actors' income (because they market and speak IN PERSON on the behalf of their talent)... both work FOR the talent. Professional sales people make between 10% and 20% commission... 20% is for the well seasoned and highly successful salesperson... SOMETIMES 25% can be negotiated by & for the EXTRAORDINARILY talented salesperson. Take Lessons is a passive "agency"... even talent agents (who receive 10%) make direct calls and submissions on behalf of the actors they represent. Teachers here create their entire profiles. 10% is the only legitimate and all-around respectable amount of commission for Take Lessons Corp to receive from their hosted teachers. If that were so, this would be the ideal company to link up with.

Advice to Management

Without teachers you have no business. If you continue to take these outrageous percentages from your teachers, as you know, you WILL profit off of teacher desperation for some time. But that's not a successful long-term business plan. Bad news spreads like wild fire and if you continue to overly profit off the backs of teachers you'll run it into the ground. Maybe you don't care. Maybe you'll get all the desperate-naive-unhealthy-teacher money you can and then "close the box" and walk on to your next scam venture.... or maybe you do care, and do want this to be a long-term and highly successful venture for both you AND the instructors whom you host and will make a dramatic shift that will positively impact your company for the long term and take 10% of your instructor's pay (and NOTHING from THEIR travel expenses). Through the latter you will sustain AND grow substantially with happy teachers and students. Continuation of the former will burn out the instructors you host and burn your company right out along with them. Choices.

FYI (although I'm sure you're well aware)
    Professional talent agents who are legit and successful receive 10% of their actors' income. Professional managers of talent - who are legit & successful - receive 15% of their actors' income (because they market and speak IN PERSON on the behalf of their talent)... both work FOR the talent. Professional sales people make between 10% and 20% commission... 20% is for the well seasoned and highly successful salesperson... SOMETIMES 25% can be negotiated by & for the EXTRAORDINARILY talented salesperson. You are a passive "agency"... even talent agents make direct calls and submissions on behalf of the actors they represent. Your teachers create their entire profiles. 10% is the only legitimate and all-around respectable amount for your company to receive from the teachers you host on your site.

"Money hungry"

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time

Pros

Good way to get new students

Cons

They take way too much of the teachers' money (a whopping 40%) including travel fee when you drive to the student's house. That money is supposed to be for my time and gas, I really don't understand why they're so greedy. They also monitor all the messages like a hawk and I received a warning for offering a potential student a free trial lesson. They didn't register after I had to tell them I couldn't offer them a trial lesson, so whose loss is that really?

Advice to Management

Pay the teachers the amount they deserve.

"No help in finding students"

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time

Pros

Its a portal just to show cast your skills

Cons

as a link between teacher & student these people are not able to find students . they are just taking our data may be for some other use in future.

"40 percent finders fee"

Current Employee - Vocal Coach
    Current Employee - Vocal Coach

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had some great clients.

Cons

Working for takelessons is tough in someways because they take 40 percent of your lessons and slowly " reward you" with tiny increases until the students fulltime. There are no benefits, and don't offer bonus's.

Advice to Management

Your Teachers are the ones that make Takelessons possible. I think it would be great to recognize that.

"Independent Contractor"

Current Employee - Teacher in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Teacher in Remote, OR

Pros

They connect me with students from all over. I don't need to advertise or market.

Cons

Poor user interface and poor customer service. High service fees.

Advice to Management

Treat good teachers well. Lower the fees you charge; you'll make more on volume.

TakeLessons Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent and Culture Manager

We offer a unique service that allows students to find and sign up with teachers across the United States in hundreds of different subjects. We try to keep our service low cost to teachers and as a... More

"Strange management"

Pros

A platform that works and you can get students here. Get paid on time.

Cons

I was away on vacation for 1 month so my students didn't purchase more lessons from me during the time I was away. The management people thus stopped me from publicly listing my subject so no new students would see me. I got back, student continued lessons with me, still subject unlisted. And during this time they got rid of me from their Facebook group. Will stop using them.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and treat the teachers right.

"Terrible."

Pros

Helpful assistance, as needed over the phone, plus they pay on-time.

Cons

I go on vacation and they cut the cord. Cryin' shame!

Advice to Management

please manage your teachers better and stop being so paranoid!

"Piano Intructor contractor"

Former Employee - Piano Teacher in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Piano Teacher in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Recruiting new students if you are a new teacher in the area.
    Collect five lessons package tuition in advance.

Cons

No benefits for contractor (teachers), charged 40% from the first 1~5 lessons and break down to 10% until the 20th lesson!!!! Be aware, most students who look for teachers from Takelessons usually don't stay for more than 3 months, some even only had 3 lessons due to TLs offer charged trial lesson for new students in order to get their money!

This company is very suspicious about teachers stealing students or potentional clients. For teachers you may think TLs is a good way to advertise yourself, but keep in mind they will close your profile without awareness all depends on they suspect you steal students. TLs expect teacher will retain students for more than three months and once you lose students they will blamed on you and shot down you profile!

They rarely bring you new students but lots of Q&A which teachers have to answer by ourselves. (So where is the customer service????)

About background check, it's all lie, they charged teacher a $20 for background check and immediately put on a parent trust local next to your profile. So, what's it for?

Advice to Management

Show respect to your teachers, remember students are there because of the teachers not because of you agent which barely provide customer service. Takelessons administration rarely offere customer service once they booked a new student! Teachers have to deal with the students' issue and cost without any benefit from TLs charging!

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I have been with Takelessons for almost 1 year as an independent contractor. I work off of the website as an online teacher. I am responsible for setting my rate, schedule and materials. The company supports teachers by advertising, customer service, providing the online website/platform/scheduling and general assistance in any way.

+ Very helpful customer service.
    + The online teacher/student platform sight that actually gets you students.
    + They are always looking to improve the teacher's experience and asking for feedback and ideas.
    + Teach from home.
    + Make your own schedule.
    + No dealing with bosses or other people telling you what to do.
    + Even with the website's fees, you will get a higher hourly rate than many other platform sites.
    + Students must purchase a minimum of 5 lessons to begin with you and all lessons are prepaid.
    + Students can pay with a credit card and TL handles all billing.

Cons

- When a student begins with you, the website takes 40% of your hourly rate. It is phased out to only 10% by the 15th class. Depending on the student, it can take 4 months to be making your full rate potential.
    -As an independent contractor, you are responsible for taxes and you are not an official employee.
    -No benefits/sick days/vacation.
    -Being self employed is much riskier than working for a company as an employee.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

TakeLessons Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent and Culture Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate you!