TakeLessons Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TakeLessons CEO & Founder Steven Cox
Steven Cox

Pros
  • The company supports teachers by advertising, customer service, providing the online website/platform/scheduling and general assistance in any way (in 4 reviews)

• I can turn my profile off when I'm not accepting new students (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are just starting you have no way to get new students (in 7 reviews)

• No benefits for contractor (teachers), charged 40% from the first 1 (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I have been with Takelessons for almost 1 year as an independent contractor. I work off of the website as an online teacher. I am responsible for setting my rate, schedule and materials. The company supports teachers by advertising, customer service, providing the online website/platform/scheduling and general assistance in any way.

+ Very helpful customer service.
    + The online teacher/student platform sight that actually gets you students.
    + They are always looking to improve the teacher's experience and asking for feedback and ideas.
    + Teach from home.
    + Make your own schedule.
    + No dealing with bosses or other people telling you what to do.
    + Even with the website's fees, you will get a higher hourly rate than many other platform sites.
    + Students must purchase a minimum of 5 lessons to begin with you and all lessons are prepaid.
    + Students can pay with a credit card and TL handles all billing.

Cons

- When a student begins with you, the website takes 40% of your hourly rate. It is phased out to only 10% by the 15th class. Depending on the student, it can take 4 months to be making your full rate potential.
    -As an independent contractor, you are responsible for taxes and you are not an official employee.
    -No benefits/sick days/vacation.
    -Being self employed is much riskier than working for a company as an employee.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

TakeLessons Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent and Culture Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate you!

"Independent Contractor"

Current Employee - Teacher in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Teacher in Remote, OR

Pros

They connect me with students from all over. I don't need to advertise or market.

Cons

Poor user interface and poor customer service. High service fees.

Advice to Management

Treat good teachers well. Lower the fees you charge; you'll make more on volume.

TakeLessons Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent and Culture Manager

We offer a unique service that allows students to find and sign up with teachers across the United States in hundreds of different subjects. We try to keep our service low cost to teachers and as a ... More

"Strange management"

Pros

A platform that works and you can get students here. Get paid on time.

Cons

I was away on vacation for 1 month so my students didn't purchase more lessons from me during the time I was away. The management people thus stopped me from publicly listing my subject so no new students would see me. I got back, student continued lessons with me, still subject unlisted. And during this time they got rid of me from their Facebook group. Will stop using them.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and treat the teachers right.

"Terrible."

Pros

Helpful assistance, as needed over the phone, plus they pay on-time.

Cons

I go on vacation and they cut the cord. Cryin' shame!

Advice to Management

please manage your teachers better and stop being so paranoid!

"Piano Intructor contractor"

Former Employee - Piano Teacher in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Piano Teacher in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Recruiting new students if you are a new teacher in the area.
    Collect five lessons package tuition in advance.

Cons

No benefits for contractor (teachers), charged 40% from the first 1~5 lessons and break down to 10% until the 20th lesson!!!! Be aware, most students who look for teachers from Takelessons usually don't stay for more than 3 months, some even only had 3 lessons due to TLs offer charged trial lesson for new students in order to get their money!

This company is very suspicious about teachers stealing students or potentional clients. For teachers you may think TLs is a good way to advertise yourself, but keep in mind they will close your profile without awareness all depends on they suspect you steal students. TLs expect teacher will retain students for more than three months and once you lose students they will blamed on you and shot down you profile!

They rarely bring you new students but lots of Q&A which teachers have to answer by ourselves. (So where is the customer service????)

About background check, it's all lie, they charged teacher a $20 for background check and immediately put on a parent trust local next to your profile. So, what's it for?

Advice to Management

Show respect to your teachers, remember students are there because of the teachers not because of you agent which barely provide customer service. Takelessons administration rarely offere customer service once they booked a new student! Teachers have to deal with the students' issue and cost without any benefit from TLs charging!

"Poor company to work with"

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Online marketing tool to get new customers

Cons

If you are just starting you have no way to get new students. Customers generally see the people with the MOST reviews and they get business. Also, takelessons takes 40% of your initial charging price and phases it out to 10% but not until the 14th lesson!!! How absurd

On top of that, you have no way of communicating with your customers in a helpful manner. You have to check your profile regularly and hope someone messaged you. But more often then not, people wanna call or email you, but you can't cuz take lessons is afraid you will get money without their knowing. And to make matters worse, they don't even bother providing you with a w-2. But your earnings are still reported to the government. I lost way to many custermors due to their counter intuitive software. Don't bother, you will have more luck utilizing care.com

Advice to Management

Stop stealing from your customer base, stop taking advantage of people. Your buisness approach is petty. And make it easier for people to communicate with one another

"Awesome startup with opportunity for growth"

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time

Pros

Relaxed and casual culture/environment, Opportunity to move vertically/horizontally, Attention to individual workers and their needs and desires, Transparency, One on one meetings with manager at least every month, Monthly company meetings

Cons

Open office (if you mind-- I don't really have a preference), Downtown (so parking is a pain), Perhaps too relaxed (to the point of offensive-ness), People tend to be forgetful

Advice to Management

Keep being personal and open with workers, Committing to inclusion and cultural awareness, Keep making workers feel genuinely part of the team

"Sr. Student Counselor"

Current Employee - Senior Student Counselor & QA Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Student Counselor & QA Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, company culture is amazing to say the least. Good place to grow and learn, and plenty of opportunities for the right individuals. No cold calling, all leads are warm and generated by people interested in the services offered.

Cons

Commission structure has changed at least 5 or 6 times in the past 3 years, a lot of repetitive work. Could use an actual training program to assist with the development of employees.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable. Sometimes people let their friendships with others cloud their judgement on business ethics.

"Teacher"

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time

Pros

Ability to work from home.

Cons

The company does not care about its teachers. I had a student post a negative review on my account about their experience with take lessons (not me), and the company refuses to take it down. It takes them weeks to return emails.

Advice to Management

Quicker turn around on replying to emails.

11. "Piano Instructor Seeks More Students"

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time

Pros

It is a pretty good way to connect with new piano students.

Cons

They take a 40% cut off the top to start.

Advice to Management

Give me 100%!