Tefen Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tefen CEO Aaron Lichtenstein
Aaron Lichtenstein

"If you want to know the realities of New York office, read this little essay"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Tefen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will start with a disclaimer: everything I say here is my experience and is applicable to the New York office. Perhaps, this will shed some light for you guys checking Tefen out.

If you’re looking for a place that provides real, hands-on client experience from day 1 (not data crunching in the corner and letting a PM present your analysis – but a real client interaction), supports you with training and mentors along the way (including company COO calling you monthly just to see how you’re doing and if you need any advice) and lets you try the waters of higher responsibility and grow really fast. If you want to be doing something meaningful all while serving some of the most interesting and largest companies in the world (Johnson & Johnson, Merck, AmerisourceBergen, Sandoz and others are on the list of our clients in the last 2 months, as an example). If you want to work with some really talented, dedicated folks like yourself that also enjoy their lives and travel outside work (or outside our cool Chelsea office). If you want to see the world at the end of the day (our projects last year: China, India, Australia, all over Europe and the US). Then, my friend, you’ve come to the right place.

We’re basically a start-up with over 30 years of experience. Which means we have a family-spirited small team of really smart people that are constantly on the move: either getting trained up (on new methodologies such as TOC, latest capacity modeling tools or Six Sigma Black Belts), exploring local foodie places while travelling for projects or simply doing something fun together. Which also means clients such as Merck and Pfizer know our work and come to us for projects. You will be surprised how much a little fish can get in a big sea if it really knows the ropes. Lastly, it means that if Consultants need specific advice for a project, we immediately connect them with an SME, Partner or anyone who’s an expert in that field within our global organization, and they provide the help required – something that would never happen in a big firm where everyone is for him/herself.

What is also important to understand is that in such a small, vibrant company, you get what YOU make out of it. With a times 10 ROI though, because it’s a school of life that is probably the most valuable benefit you will get from this experience. After succeeding here, you can really do anything.

So how does it all work, you might be thinking: the fast growth, caring for employees, world travel, and cool clients? Is it all true? If I read other reviews, I don’t think so. So let me answer that with my personal example. Doesn’t get truer than that. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I just invested all my time and energy to it – you decide.

I started in London as a Consultant, straight after my Master’s (let’s skip the schools, titles and degrees – it’s irrelevant for this discussion). On day 3 of work I was sent to France to consult Merck on re-designing their financial processes. In French. It gets better: in 3 months I was implementing a PMO and training PMs of one of the largest transport companies in the UK (red buses and Gatwick express sound familiar?). It goes on and on in this manner, in a little over a year I was promoted to Senior Consultant. In two I decided to move to New York. Why? Mostly personal reasons (plus – man, it’s New York! When will I ever get an opportunity to live and work in New York? - I thought). So what did our company COO do – he got me a really difficult-to-get company transferee visa, paid for my relocation and moved me to the Big Apple. All within 2 months since I approached the management with my idea. I came to New York – not with 1 suitcase like in all immigrant stories – but with 1 container of stuff (I could not possibly leave all those books and china behind). And guess what, our office had 4 people, including me (and including only 1 Consultant). And there I was - signed, sealed, delivered to drive the growth (not realizing how exactly I was supposed to drive it with 1 person on the team). Those times were obviously not easy, but getting some amazing people on-board (or staying with us) we drove it all together - and we're now a strong team of 15 and growing.

We have seen incredible transformation and growth in the last year. We got a new office in Chelsea that we’ve decorated ourselves and that has this young start-up feel to it (we have a sticker “good vibes only” on the wall and photography prints done by our team members – do I need to say more?). We got latest equipment, sorted our internal processes and Finance, and try to keep improving every day (far from perfect, but getting more structured which is always a challenge for a small company).

Now about caring for employees. After 1 year in New York I had a bad injury and wasn't able to walk - a bit of an issue for a travelling consultant. Especially if you know US healthcare system. So what did my company do? Supported me in every possible way. Allowed me to work from home for as long as I needed (and that lasted for a couple of months), freed me up from travel after I had a spine surgery, paid for my disability leave when I had to take some more time off to fully recover. Can you name any other consulting company that would do all this without any hint of frowning upon you when you're in trouble, but actually providing meaningful and material support? Again - true story.

Finally, back to trusting employees with responsibility. Within my first year in New York, I became a PM and started playing an even more active role in selling projects (yes, even when I was injured and working from home). Knock on wood, in a year I was a Director - in bigger firms there is no way PMs would be ever working on actually selling projects to clients and then being promoted so quickly. One of our talented PMs joined just 2 years ago as a Consultant. If I look back now how far we’ve come – and WE is the most important word here – I see how incredibly we have transformed ourselves. And the greatest thing about it – it’s just a beginning. We continue growing our talent and looking for more talented people to join our team and share our values. We gather people from different backgrounds and countries, with different yet inspiring interests and talents - and we're very proud of it. So if you’d like to learn more about us, just come meet us and decide for yourself.

Cons

Of course, consulting is challenging on its own, of course travelling can get tiring, of course lots of responsibility or working autonomously at times can be stressful, of course at some point you will start missing your friends or family. That's no news to anyone thinking of working in consulting. But on the other hand, while you travel, you can have a laser focus on your performance and your project, you can have a much more qualitative time with your close ones when you're back (or take them on travels with you on the week-ends using the perks of alternative travel), you can go see the world (literally), and you can grow professionally much quicker than in any other industry.

So as regards to all the ultra negative reviews, I have only one comment to add here. You know who always blames the tools? Exactly.

Very few of us would go online and post a review if they’re OK (or even happy) with their job. I’m a good example – it is a really challenging job, but I’m happy and it still took me like 4 months to sit down and put it on paper. But when people are unhappy, they want to express their frustration somewhere, which is understandable. And we should all respect that. However, we do need to take those reviews with a pinch of salt. Because they never show WHY actually people left – or were made to leave. Perhaps, they under-delivered (and that’s hell of a painful moment for one’s ego that needs to be healed – and why not with a negative review?). Perhaps, they got tired of travels. We will never know what really happened. We only know they were unhappy. And it’s amazing that there is a service where community provides a free platform to share and inform each other – but let’s not forget. This platform is here to help us make a rightly weighted decision which employer and which team to join. This platform is not for venting.

Also, some of the reviews are simply not true and we, as an employer, can’t do anything about it. US office for example has NEVER had anyone in management for 5 years and review was posted this April. Or some reviews do not specify the office location and then experiences from other offices are impacting us. My favorite example is a review allegedly about London office which says there was no milk in the kitchen (you better give Brits their milk for the afternoon tea). But seriously? At a time, before we got a new amazing Partner leading London operations and were in between moving offices, we technically had NO office for a while. So not having milk would be the least of my concerns.

So if you can do me a favor and take the outdated/ self-pitiful/ masterfully subjective reviews with a pinch of salt, you will actually do a favor to yourself – because perhaps then you will join our team and see what we meant. :)

"terrible"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Tefen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smart co workers, great learning opportunities

Cons

poor management, office, little to no room for advancement, VERY under-paid, long working hours, very high turnover rate, good stepping stone though, sometimes management isn't been honest, and put you in a ongoing project where you have to learn everything from scratch, minimum new hiring trainings, lots of self learning, lack social activities and outings.

Advice to Management

pay your consultants more and treat them with more respect please

"Leadership doesn't mean creating followers, it means creating leaders"

I have been working at Tefen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly I would like to back the extremely anonymous review by the Director from the New York office.

You are given more than a chance in this company; you are handed the responsibility to break barriers and reach uncharted territory, both professionally and in a personal sense. You get so much space - but then there is always someone who makes sure you don't float out into it and grounds you. At the highest level, the direction and feedback you will get (and you will get it) is an often surprising mix of open-mindedness and very blunt, pointed directness. If you can take constructive criticism for what it is, and at the same time maintain patience with some of the administrative hurdles that can come along the way, you are bound to develop both personally and professionally. They key factor, though, is that success or failure depends on you - not entirely, but to a very large extent. You will have a real say and will make a real impact. To me, that fact alone merits Tefen 5 stars.

Cons

Tefen is a family, and like any family it is imperfect. Still, though, I can not imagine a better place to grow.

5. "A Elite Team Growing Fast!"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Working with extremely smart (yet very friendly and humble) people.
    International experience (clients all over the world, including Australia, Europe, China, India etc.)
    Full client exposure (very critical but pretty rare for entry level consultant)
    Deep learning curve (Hands on in field practice that no textbook can beat)
    Work-life balance (They are very flexible with your schedule, as long as you get jobs done)

Cons

Work can be challenging, but which consulting job is not?

"Management"

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at Tefen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

US division hired very smart, creative critical thinkers who were adaptable and fun with.

Diverse work environment where you can get exposure to many different industries.

Cons

Too much involvement from corporate (Israel) to run business as it is run there vs. how a US company runs. Ultimately it ran off all the good people and tanked the business. Corporate leadership very confrontational.

Salaries are not competitive

Advice to Management

Too late, you killed the goose who laid the golden egg.

"DO NOT WORK HERE - Tefen Does NOT PAY It's Employees"

I worked at Tefen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Maybe you get lucky and meet people at other places to work.
    - The other consultants in the office and people that do the day-to-day work are all bright and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

- Salary is paid monthly, not twice/month like most other consulting firms.
    - Salary is often paid in the WRONG amount.
    - Expenses are often late and wrong; in some cases expenses NEVER get reimbursed.
    - Internal systems don't exist to support expense management, time reporting, and other HR practices that are standard at other firms.
    - In the U.S., the company pails in comparison to other consulting firms. Pursuits are not 'sold' on the work of the company but rather falsely led to believe the company is capable of work it is not. The company is desperate for any and all business and struggles to get even that.
    - Management is not interested in the growth of it's employees, just about making sales and farming out consultants.
    - The company does not have a proper office, it's essentially a closet in another company's office. There are no windows, and two small rooms to work in. This is no place to work.
    - Management if of the opinion they can BS their way through any project. They have no integrity as a consulting firm and represent everything wrong with the industry.

Advice to Management

Maybe in Israel you can operate this way, but in New York, drastic changes need to be made to...
    1) Retain employees and make it an exciting place to work
    2) Get new business and sustain an operation in New York

"Not a great environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tefen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work hours, great boss, location

Cons

senior management - get on par with what is really going on in the workforce now

Advice to Management

change your recruiting methods

"Bad company going wrong direction"

I worked at Tefen full-time

Pros

different job, nice co-workers, travel

Cons

bad pay, long hours, no future

10. "Great experience, tough during bad economic times"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Partners are aggressive at Sales and getting new projects

Cons

Salaries and bonuses is slightly below average

11. "Tefen... some good, some not so good"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

The experience was great, the clients were big names and the problems were interesting and exciting to solve. The people at the lower level were also amazing and very fun to spend lots of time with.

Cons

The salary was low and management would fight between themselves. There is a lot of office politics and if you were not one of there "good consultants" you were put on projects half way through. Also partners would fight for people and lie to the president to mask when projects ended in order to keep consultants working with them.

Advice to Management

Show employees that you care about them through little things like recognition, small bonuses and a fair transparent compensation structure.