Tekserve Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Brennan

1. "Service Advisor - 1 year"

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in New York, NY

I worked at Tekserve full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Good benefits. Excellent managers. The company was run like the biggest mom and pop store you've ever seen. Internal promotions were quite common. Apple training was free. I felt my career finally had a trajectory. Very diverse workplace.

Cons

Well, it was run like the biggest mom and pop store you've ever seen, which could also have negatives. Some people were just kept around since they had been there a long time and it showed. There was a bit of "grooming" going on too among my fellow new hires.

Advice to Management

It's a different kind of company now that the store closed and a different business model. Hopefully there will always be that bit of community there amongst what's left of the company. Would have appreciated more forthrightness about plans (or lack there of) to keep service alive. For those of us who stuck around I felt it was quite fair in the end.

2. "Great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Tekserve full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The knowledgeable staff. They make sure that you learn the proper ways to repair computers and iPods. And you can take that knowledge with you after you're done there

Cons

I don't really have any cons to speak of, it was a pretty good place to work all together. It's closed down now, however.

3. "Good place to work at (or was)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tekserve full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work with your schedule, 99.9 percent of everyone was nice. No uniform, closed on holidays or paid holidays, they understand you have a life, speak to you like your human, my manager was absolutely amazing.

Cons

This might not be a con to some, the place is male dominate, there are/were about 4 girls working there and i was one, the place is open on saturdays, not really too much negative things to say about it.

5. "Apple Computer Service Advisor"

Current Employee - Apple Computer Service Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Apple Computer Service Advisor in New York, NY

Pros

Tekserve is possibly the best place in the world to get help with your Mac or Apple products. A truly unique 30 year NYC institution. There is lots of love from customers daily.
    The team is so generous with their knowledge and there's a friendly culture. From the employees that have been around over a decade or more, to new hires.
    The opportunity to learn more about Apple products and general computing technology for that matter, presents itself everyday. Study material to get certified in multiple aspects of the Apple ecosystem is accessible as soon as you're hired.

The same goes for providing world class customer service at every point in the customer experience. The management knows what they're doing when it comes to people and will pass on their skills that work, on to you. Skills that transcend Retail and into relationships in everyday life.

Cons

Glassdoor made me do it

Advice to Management

None

"Good place to work, but not a lot of opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tekserve full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. Cool people. Cool technology.

Cons

Getting things done there feels like moving the Titanic. Change is slow, but there seems to be a new plan every few weeks.

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead weight employees that have either been there for too long or don't add real value to the organization.

7. "Fulfillment Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Tekserve full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location working with a lot of interesting and creative people. A lot of interesting technology available to try out and play with.

Cons

Management usually seemed to be working against each other and against the interests of their employees. I'm not sure they actually want to make money.

Advice to Management

Actually promote people with strengths that compliment a position, stop supporting cronies and favoritism. Most people find this very counter productive.

8. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Technical Support in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support in New York, NY

I worked at Tekserve (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to 30 years of history in NYC
    Advertisement to customer
    Work/Life balance

Cons

Terrible management
    Terrible employee care
    Terrible compensation
    Terrible employee development

Advice to Management

My advice is the same as other reviews regarding to management
    You lose the key of keeping value employees in this way

"I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemies"

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

Pros

When I left, basically none. You get a fairly good discount on the products they sell.

Cons

Working here felt like working with a bunch of Jr. High school girls. And that was the management, no my co-workers. There's so much drama, politics, backstabbing, passive-aggressive threats and actions towards employees among management; it's so appalling to see what they are allowed to get away with. I watched multiple managers sabotage their employee's jobs, and then lie to HR in order to get them fired, and at different times make up false claims to write up employees that they didn't like. When they traded out all the tech's desk chairs for stools, one employee with back problems was told by a manager that he wasn't allowed to have a chair, and that he should "just work out his back more". Most of the managers cause more problems then they solve, and in the 2 years I worked there, I watched all the decent employees leave due to the incompetent management. I started in Retail (which was a step down from my previous position as a lead tech at a smaller repair shop), where I was promised multiple promotions and raises that never happened, and finally after a year got promoted to a tech (without a raise) and stayed in that position until it was too stressful to deal with the drama, and the absolutely horrendous treatment of the employees.
    The HR department is a joke; it is comprised of a single person who has stated that it's their job to "look out for the interest of the company first" and has told multiple employees, when dealing with taking money out of their paycheck due to a payroll error (which is illegal, according to NY state law) that it's "not her problem" if that causes them significant financial problems; one of these employees even had a family to support. Don't work here.

Advice to Management

Stop letting managers behave in such a childish and horrendous manner towards their employees. Pay people what they're worth. Have a real HR department.

10. "I don"

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Tekserve (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only thing I have learned from this place is that a business is made by the employees not the customers or the money. So if you want your customer to be "Happy" then you should take care of the employee... Not a pro because Tekserve does not have any

Cons

I worked six years in that place with many titles under my belt and wasn't able to afford to live off the salary they paid me. Stop treating grown people like kids

Advice to Management

I can't give advice to people that think everything is okay.. I can give advice to Tekserve owners get rid of your managers.. Value the good employees. They are worth it

"Technician and Intake"

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Tekserve full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Social atmosphere, ability to learn from indivuduals about OS X and iOS devices, as well as get certified as an ACMT

Cons

Over the course of my 3+ years I saw employee perks disappear, morale drop, and many employees mistreated. Wages are lower than the Apple Store for similar positions.