Telephonics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Telephonics President Kevin McSweeney
Kevin McSweeney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 4 1/2 work week other than that nothing (in 13 reviews)

• Half Day Fridays and great engineering talent (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • People are treated with little to no respect the upper management is borderline insane HR are beyond incompetent (in 8 reviews)

• Too many to describe but main issue is corrosive culture driven by senior management behaviors (in 5 reviews)

"The best days are yet to come.. and they will soon!"

Current Employee - Chief Scientist in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Chief Scientist in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company has lots of potentials, and many ideas in the pipeline. It is exciting to work here. The CEO is energetic, visionary and very supportive. My direct managers do listen to advices and comments, and are easy to reach. What I ask is usually approved, and what I suggest is usually taken seriously into consideration.

The company pays for IEEE Membership and is supportive of IEEE activities.

Cons

Too much focus on charge numbers, paperwork, process. Sometimes Telephonics behaves more like a manufacturing house rather than an engineering company. But it's changing... and the leadership is aware of it, and wants more R&D, innovation and growth of the portfolio. Changes take time, but will happen!

Advice to Management

Believe in Telephonics and be optimistic. Accept changes and new ideas. Improve products and invent new ones. Relax processes. Invest in, train and mentor engineers. Believe in the people we have. Improve communications between executives, business development, engineering, and program management.

2. "Good place to start"

I worked at Telephonics full-time

Pros

The people really make this place. Work environment is conducive for progress depending on the people leading.

Cons

Some of the practices are antiquated and should be updated.

"Company in general"

I worked at Telephonics full-time

Pros

Very strong Engineering support team

Cons

Expected to work long hours rather than focus on efficiency and effeciveness, decreased benefits

Advice to Management

There are occasions of micro management

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Had some exciting products

Cons

Company is owned by Griffon and contributes a lot of cash to them. Griffon is basically a housing market company that doesn't understand the importance of R&D money to keep up with the technical advances necessary to stay competitive the the Defense market space.

Advice to Management

Griffon - Learn more about technology and its business model. Invest a lot more into Telephonics. The Farmingdale facility has an competative advantage in being on the runway so flight testing is easy. Also,has an advantage in being able to test radar from the roof top with real targets aircraft and ship targets.

Telephonics - Brain storm with the employees (engineers) , what to spend the IRAD on to over come the stigma of "woe are us, we can't be competitive because we are so far behind". In particular no one has solved the Drone threat problem. Maybe acquisition is a path. Kevin has a tough job to over come all the business as well as the personal issues. He is definitely trying. Get out of the box, think really big.

5. "Look forward to 2018"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

4-1/2 day week, great talented people, good benefits

Cons

New interesting work is needed

Advice to Management

Be more interactive with employees, praise their accomplishments and embrace their failures as teachable moments. Keep a positive attitude.

"Repair manager II"

Current Employee - Repair Manager II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Repair Manager II in New York, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

$25 gift card every year.

Cons

I am at this place more than 30 years. Upper management change their nonsense rules every day and they don’t work. After few months, they realized those rules didn’t work and went back to how was initially. Because of that, they laid off a repair director who was my boss for two years. In May, 2016, a new repair director got hired with no skills to do this job. I know this director is looking for different place. I guess this one got hired for upper management to blame on him. Upper management told me to offer my techs more than 10 % increase salary. When the time came, I was forced to find an excuse for them. Few of my techs got 3 % increase and most of them got minimal. I recommended bonuses few times to the best techs and they got rejected. I understand why my techs get angry but I don’t want to lose my job. I cannot find a job to get pay about $100K. Lays off few times a year. When the lays off came, upper management told us that we cannot lay off to people who are in the military reserve who get deployed. I am here for my paycheck. I don’t recommend to get a job in telephonics.

"Tired of the negative comments"

Current Employee - Administrative in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people
    4.5 day workweek
    4 weeks vacation / 12 paid holidays
    winter break

Cons

Heavy workload and long hours.

Advice to Management

I’m tired of sitting back and reading all the negative comments about the company I work for. Did we have a layoff – yes – but what company hasn’t in today’s business environment? Are some of our managers in need of managerial skills – yes – but the company is offering training to help correct that. Is the workload heavy – yes – but we support each other and feel proud knowing not everyone can do what we do. I am impressed by the products we design and manufacture, I am committed to the military personnel those products support and protect and I consider myself fortunate to work with some of the hardest working and dedicated people in the defense industry.

"Positive changes"

Current Employee - Management in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Management in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable workforce, interesting work. New CEO is bringing positive changes to the company.

Cons

Culture change will take time but is moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the employees and grow the company.

"Stop Training people that are not Trainable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no Pros anymore.

Cons

Okay, so there are training sessions now and classes to improve morale. Sorry, but this is not going to work. Bully’s cannot be trained to be anything different. They may change their ways and improve for a short while, but they will be back with a vengeance. Advice to HR would be, get rid of the people that cause all the problems and replace them with Managers that want to work with and help the people in the company. Stop wasting money on trying to train them. You know who they are, Look at the numerous complaints. Why is Griffon backing up bullying management, they should be ashamed of themselves.
    All the negative reviews will stop if you do the right thing. We will be a much happier company with new Management in the Huntington facility. Get rid of the guy at the top and his henchmen.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be replaced, we have the worst group of imcompenent Management. Maybe the CAR’s from the Government will stop. Could it be that they are written against an individual and not the company. Good food for thought !,

"Unbelievable"

I have been working at Telephonics full-time

Pros

Really good people to work with, a great many people that are outstanding in their field. 4 hour work day on Friday.

Cons

Hire individuals that actually understand the task at hand. Too many individuals hired that are friends with someone in the company. A large portion of people have left the company because of this. HR is incompetent. Giving people ice cream and a cheap rendition of a barbeque. There is no team work and never will be. Everyone is out for themselves, so people lie and cheat to move up the ladder. There isn't anything at the top but lies, so no point moving up the ladder. Company in a downward spiral and with all the recent hires that don't know what to do. This company will fail.

Advice to Management

There isn't any advice to give. There isn't anyone that can hear or listen so the company will implode. Poor management. VPs that have never been VPs. It is truly a horror show. January get ready for a large exodus of people. Those that know not what they do have overtaxed those that do.