Telephonics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Telephonics President Kevin McSweeney
Kevin McSweeney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "4 1/2 work week other than that nothing" (in 13 reviews)

• "Half Day Fridays and great engineering talent" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "People are treated with little to no respect the upper management is borderline insane HR are beyond incompetent" (in 8 reviews)

• "Expected to work long hours rather than focus on efficiency and effeciveness, decreased benefits" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Aerospace Engineer"

Pros

Great Atmosphere for the staff.

Cons

Not enough coffee for the staff.

"Good people, rough environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great department leads in some departments
    4 1/2 day work week ( Get to leave at 12pm all year round)

Cons

Most department heads are no good
    Poor communication between departments and within departments
    Low pay scale
    Hard to progress or get promoted

"Barely a stepping stone on the way to a better job."

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Huntington, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half day Fridays - but comes at a cost of 10 hour work days.

Cons

Management all the way up from the CEO's and down to the Supervisors are only out to benefit and protect themselves. They will over promise to the customer and under deliver due to unrealistic goals. When it's close to the end of the month they will ask you to work overtime in order to fulfill their unrealistic goals.

There is no cross training. It's very typical for only one person to know how to do a specific job so, when that person is out the department the program suffers which in the end means the customer and company suffer.

Management will (AND HAS) throw you under the bus for not being able to meet a delivery date. They did it to me when they never even checked with me before the project was started or to see how it was going along to ensure on-time delivery. When management asked why the unit wasn't going to be delivered on the promised date my supervisor told them "Well, the tech isn't up to speed yet, he still needs more training" instead of telling them the truth – that the unit was not working as they were told it was, and was started late due to insufficient test equipment.

The company has an Employee of the Month award (called Top Award) that you won't be entered into unless you're a pawn to management and supervisors or if your boss just doesn't want to be bothered. The program was active for over a year and cancelled shortly before I left because a few specific employees scammed the system by always submitting each other every month to lock in the title and monetary benefit (you got money for being elected employee of the month and so did the person who nominated you). My boss told me since the beginning of the program that he would put my and a coworker of mine in for it, but never did and instead he laughed about it when they cancelled it.

Management is INCREDIBLY afraid of conflict. The place literally has people that seek out hiding spots to sleep during work hours. Not only has this been brought up to them multiple times, management has even SEEN it and done nothing about it. This is a waste of a paycheck and unfair to the customer. A lot of tests are done on semi-automated test sets that need to be watched for inconsistencies that relay on human-inputs or visual checks. A sleeping employees can and have passed equipment along as having passed testing, only to be returned immediately after being delivered to the customer because it failed their preliminary checks or testing.

You are not safe from layoffs if you’re a good employee. Shortly before I left the company had yet another layoff and it was obvious that the company was doing it to save money (despite having recently benefited from the tax reform of 2018). It was obvious because a lot of VERY good employees (many engineers and even supervisors) were let go, while the “sleeping employees” or “dead wood” that they knew about were left alone. This not only puts more pressure on the remaining good employees to pick up the slack, but solidifies job security for those that do nothing but waste the company’s money due to their department now being understaffed.

Advice to Management

Retire. Step Down. Let newer fresher ideas direct the company. You hold on so dearly to your old ways because "it's always worked this way". You're only getting left behind at an exponential rate of speed and you do no one any good by coasting along into retirement. You do not care about anyone but yourselves and EVERYONE knows it.

4. "Human Resources"

I have been working at Telephonics full-time

Pros

Love the company and my job!

Cons

Do not like my commute from home.

5. "Shipping and receiving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for a warehouse

Cons

Big volume not enough employees.
    Strict on breaks

Advice to Management

Step it up

"Optimistic Manager"

Pros

Great talent and products. Lots of good hard working people. Some products are industry leading while others need a refresh.

Cons

A non-cooperative culture from years of neglect that will take a long time to change. There are some draconian HR policies that need to be updated as well as inefficient processes that need to be streamlined. It will take time but the future looks promising.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect across the board and recognize the extra effort.

"The best days are yet to come.. and they will soon!"

Current Employee - Chief Scientist in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Chief Scientist in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company has lots of potentials, and many ideas in the pipeline. It is exciting to work here. The CEO is energetic, visionary and very supportive. My direct managers do listen to advices and comments, and are easy to reach. What I ask is usually approved, and what I suggest is usually taken seriously into consideration.

The company pays for IEEE Membership and is supportive of IEEE activities.

Cons

Too much focus on charge numbers, paperwork, process. Sometimes Telephonics behaves more like a manufacturing house rather than an engineering company. But it's changing... and the leadership is aware of it, and wants more R&D, innovation and growth of the portfolio. Changes take time, but will happen!

Advice to Management

Believe in Telephonics and be optimistic. Accept changes and new ideas. Improve products and invent new ones. Relax processes. Invest in, train and mentor engineers. Believe in the people we have. Improve communications between executives, business development, engineering, and program management.

"SENIOR REPAIR TECH farmingdale 10 years"

Current Employee - Senior Repair Tech in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Repair Tech in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free coffee once a while

Cons

We had laid-offs few times every year. They laid-off talented people and hired new people with no skills. I don’t recommend to get a job at Telephonics. Telephonics does not care regular employees.

"Good place to start"

I worked at Telephonics full-time

Pros

The people really make this place. Work environment is conducive for progress depending on the people leading.

Cons

Some of the practices are antiquated and should be updated.

"Company in general"

I worked at Telephonics full-time

Pros

Very strong Engineering support team

Cons

Advice to Management

There are occasions of micro management