Testmasters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "LSAT Instructor Review"

Current Employee - LSAT Instructor
    Current Employee - LSAT Instructor

I have been working at Testmasters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This position is great as a part time job. Classes are typically taught on the weekends or weekday nights so there aren't many conflicts. The work is enjoyable. Teaching and tutoring students is valuable, challenging, and fulfilling.

The pay is generous and is broken down into three tiers of hourly rates. The lowest tier is for answering students questions online. Instructors can login whenever from wherever, i.e. from your living room in your sweatpants, to answer these questions when they are available. The second tier of pay is for actually teaching lessons. This is about twice as much as answering questions online. The last tier is for individual tutoring which is about three times as much as answering questions online. The online questions and tutoring are wholly dependent on student demand. There are no guaranteed hours. I've been in a larger market and so I have had a steady supply of students to tutor. The online questions can disappear for weeks between seasons.

You also get paid a paltry sum for prep hours, hours that you devote to preparing the lessons. These could be the most hours that you have in a pay period. If you have to travel a certain distance to the job site the reimbursements for gas and parking are nice and the administration is easy to deal with.

The personnel that I've dealt with in the company, the administration and other instructors, are for the most part supportive and friendly. There is no one looking over your shoulder at your work, but this can also make you feel isolated.

Cons

The "training" session was brutal. I applied for the job and got a quick response. I was given an LSAT question and 24 hours to prepare a response in a phone interview to teach the question to the interviewer. I didn't find it too difficult but I found out later that something like 500 people had gone through the phone interviewer. Many don't get the question right or can't explain the right answer correctly. From there I was offered a place in the training program. It took place a week in a hotel near LAX. They fly you out and get you a room. The scheduled events for the training take up about 12 hours a day. They offer you a stipend for your time. I was told that nearly everyone makes it through the training, but that's not true at all. Only 12 people attended my training session. Half of them were cut. Some were cut and sent home the first day and some were cut on the very last day. It's not rare for people to attend training and not receive a job offer. In addition the days are long. Even if only 12 hours are scheduled, more time is needed to prepare for the mock class sessions. Most people in my training sessions were spending 16-20 hours each day total. Forget meals or consistent sleep. The training consists of lessons where training instructors teach you the material and mock classes. After the mock classes they give you feedback. Some of this is helpful, but other times it is contradictory and confusing. One training instructor will tell you that a certain trait is a strength and another training instructor will tell you that same trait is a weakness. The training instructors say they are available for additional support but they really aren't as they have their own scheduled meetings to attend. All in all the training week was hell. If you make it through then then the company party at the end and the job offer is really nice.

The hours can be really inconsistent. If you have a class to teach then a single class is 8 hours a week. Some seasons you won't have a class. Classes are offered based on seniority and some seasons there aren't enough classes for all of the instructors so the senior instructors take up all of the classes. In addition to that inconsistency there is inconsistency in tutoring hours and online question hours. It adds up to an income source you cannot rely on.

There is also a culture of working more hours than you bill. At first I was consistently preparing for twice as long as I said I was and I needed to in order to give the students a quality product.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the training session, its difficulty, and the selective nature of your hiring method. Be available during the session to help trainees outside of the regularly scheduled hours. Allow new instructors to have more hours for preparation and pay them more for it.

"Testmasters"

I worked at Testmasters full-time

Pros

Good pay, Good people, Decent hours

Cons

no regard for time off

3. "High hourly rate, but the unprofessional nature explains why there is high turnover within the office."

I worked at Testmasters full-time

Pros

High hourly rate for administrative employees. Opportunities to work in multiple areas outside of just what you were hired to do - not necessarily for more money however.

Cons

A challenge of working here is that if you're great at what you do, you get a huge increase in responsibility without an increase in pay. There is a huge opportunity for the leadership to communicate effectively. Sometimes you only learn about a new policy based on overhearing half of a conversation. The office setting while nice, is unprofessional. There are children running around playing - with an expectation to engage/watch them, aquatic life that creates a terrible smell and most importantly, no HR department. Staff can be let go at any time without formal warning. Emergency contacts are used to contact you outside of your scheduled working hours (including weekends).

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect. Respect their time outside of their scheduled shifts. Consider adjusting the manner in which you communicate with your staff.

4. "LSAT instructor"

I worked at Testmasters part-time

Pros

good hourly pay, good course materials

Cons

Teaching a class with students of all different levels of ability and preparation is hard. Some people are always going to be either bored or lost.

"Easy work, but difficult people"

Pros

Job was fairly easy and straightfoward
    Good for a college grad as a transitional gig

Cons

No room for advancement
    Poor management
    Customers were often rude and entitled
    No benefits

6. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

This is a great company to work at. They offer lots of opportunities to get involved in many different departments. Lots of room for advancement. Team environment with great management.

Cons

No real benefits for hourly workers. They offer sick leave and vacation for salaried people. No health insurance or 401k program.

Advice to Management

Lots of attention is paid to the teachers of the classes and their pay rates are very high. I'd recommend investing more in the administrative staff. We are the people selling the products. It would be great to have some perks like sales people have at other companies.

7. "Good Pay for Workload"

I have been working at Testmasters full-time

Pros

Not difficult to understand the material that you must know in order to prove why TestMasters is better than other companies.

Cons

Sometimes the work is just not there, so it gets very boring. Also, the training period does not really matter and the pay during training is a lot less.

Advice to Management

I don't have advice to give to the management. The owner and founder is very involved and everyone seems fairly nice thus far.

"Instructor"

I have been working at Testmasters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for the industry
    They treat you honestly and respectfully
    Very flexible, you can opt out of a term and come back later, no problems

Cons

Very little work available outside of major markets
    Pay has gone down since the height of the LSAT boom
    They're kind of disorganized, not much happens except last minute
    Not much opportunity for growth

9. "A well-paying teaching gig with an administration that is mostly responsive to employee concerns."

Current Employee - LSAT Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - LSAT Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Testmasters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great base salary ($40- teaching, $50- tutoring, $10-prep, $20- online support)
    - Room for a raise after around 2 years
    - Mostly excellent communication between employer and employee
    - There is oversight, but not too much; allows for a nice amount of independence

Cons

- Limited tutoring opportunities if you're not in a large city
    - Very restrictive non-compete agreement
    - Obsessive company culture encourages work for more than what is logged (ie: prep hours are limited, yet prep takes longer than what is allotted)
    - Long periods of virtually zero employment and some cycles where classes might not run at all if enrollment isn't met
    - No benefits, even if working full-time

Advice to Management

Offer benefits.

10. "Great pay, flexible hours"

Former Employee - LSAT Instructor
    Former Employee - LSAT Instructor

I worked at Testmasters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hourly rate, flexible hours, quality product, good training and materials.

Cons

Sometimes hard to get classes.