The Learning Lab Reviews

Updated May 19, 2020

The Learning Lab Chief Executive Officer Hamilton Lau (no image)
Hamilton Lau
Pros
  • "It was much more like family than a working environment(in 22 reviews)

• "Good starting pay for fresh graduates who cannot find a teaching option elsewhere(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Last minute covers (the planning and management team will come and knock on your classroom door and tell you to cover a class in 20 minutes)(in 26 reviews)

• "The last-minute covers can be a pain(in 18 reviews)

"Good experience"

5.0

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

Professional and nice colleagues. Office environment is well designed. Curriculum is structured and well crafted. Pay is comfortable. Observations and feedbacks to help you grow and improve.

Cons

Have to work on weekends, and 2 late days (till 930) Hard to schedule meetup with friends when your hours are not in sync. Last minute cover classes are quite common. sometimes have to cover classes back to back @ two different venues. Students can be quite a handful sometimes.

The Learning Lab2016-07-14

"Great teaching experience"

I worked at The Learning Lab

Pros

The company provides various workshops to train newcomers, curriculum teams are willing to openly consider teachers' opinions, nice working environment overall.

Cons

Last minute covers can be rather stressful.

The Learning Lab2015-07-29

"Intern"

I worked at The Learning Lab

Pros

High salary, flexible work schedule

Cons

Work you dry as much as they can

The Learning Lab2014-03-04

"Intern"

I worked at The Learning Lab

Pros

Good pay compared to other student intern jobs in Singapore. Nice working environment, everything is well designed and clean Most students are courteous and fun to be around. Managers are welcoming and approachable. Young workforce.

Cons

Front desk work and managing relationship with parents can be stressful. Expect to get screamed at alot. As it is in the service industry, expect to work on either Saturday or Sunday.

The Learning Lab2013-04-04

"Great Colleagues. Horrible Management and Curriculum"

2.0
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. I love my colleagues - they feel like a family and we meet outside of work because we genuinely like each other 2. Pay is competitive

Cons

1. Last minute covers (the planning and management team will come and knock on your classroom door and tell you to cover a class in 20 minutes) 2. Straddling across locations (In my first year, I had to work in west, east and central branches for my regular classes - not to mention having to cover Ts in other branches - i think i went to tampines, CCK, mountbatten, USQ and rochester in one week) 3. Our weekday classes are 3-5, 5-7. 730-930. (7-730 should be for dinner right? No. We are expected to shuttle from centre to centre across the island during peak hour traffic without dinner to cover classes) 3. Secondary school curriculum team refuses to take feedback from teachers. We let them know how the curriculum is not suitable and they come up with a long list of reasons as how we can 'sell' the lessons to the students. But come on la, students KNOW when we are smoking them 4. Bad management - during COVID we switched to HBL. Primary school colleagues are complaining that they have had to change platform 3 times (teachers are expected to learn and adapt in a very short time - it's not effective for student learning)

The Learning Lab2020-05-20
  6. "TLL teaching associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

mentors allocated to bring you up to speed

Cons

stradling of classes across locations

The Learning Lab2020-03-27
  7. "Educator"

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

Really depends on where you are posted

Cons

last minute cover classes, parents with sky high expectation for the premiums they paid

The Learning Lab2020-03-24
  8. "Warm and friendly work environment"

2.0
    Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly colleagues, a joy to work with Ts and other colleagues

Cons

Takes long for changes (system, processes) to take effect, opportunities for growth take a long time to come, and seem to stagnate after that

The Learning Lab2020-03-21
  9. "Teaching Associate - English"

Former Employee - Specialist Teaching Associate in Singapore

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers, positive working environment

Cons

Last minute class substitutions, etc

The Learning Lab2020-03-01

"Come in with a positive attitude."

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

Relatively good starting pay for new teachers. It is better compared to most other teaching-related jobs available to fresh grads. But the trade-off is that you have to work on weekends so if you have a lot of weekend commitments or if you don’t want to spend your weekends working, DON’T apply to work here. Higher pay also means higher expectations of you to do your job well professionally. Excellent work culture. Supportive and friendly colleagues. As with any other company, people here expect you to show good EQ and be a responsible employee. One caveat here is that the work culture may vary across the different centres and across the various departments too. I am a teaching staff so I cannot speak for the non-teaching staff. Training and mentoring provided in the probation period to help new teachers fit in nicely. Even after you clear your probation, you can still attend training sessions as refreshers and you can still approach your mentor for guidance.

Cons

Steep learning curve for people with little or no experience teaching large groups (12 or more students). But the learning curve can be overcome if you have an open mind and a strong willingness to learn. Once you get through the first year, things will become easier. Workload (marking) can be very heavy at times but you can still manage if you are disciplined enough. Bratty kids can be a handful to deal with if you are teaching at primary school level. As you gain more experience and the kids know you better, things will eventually take a better turn. Key takeaway: be firm but caring towards your students. Communications with parents can be a problem sometimes, especially when you have to deal with parents who think they are entitled to make unreasonable demands just because they have paid “premium fees” to send their kids here for tuition. But don’t worry, such parents form only a (tiny) minority of our customer base. The occasional last-minute covers can be a real pain, especially if you need to straddle from one centre to another within 30 minutes. The bottom line is, as with any other job, you can’t expect everything to be perfect so just take this job with a positive attitude and you will do fine.

The Learning Lab2020-01-17