The NPD Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Karyn Schoenbart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Balance and opportunity for the right person"

I have been working at The NPD Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Flexible working environments and time
    Family like atmosphere in the right group
    Mentor like relationships with executive management
    Incredible learning experience for the right individual
    Moving around the company to become well rounded is encouraged

Cons

Bonuses are not great
    Each group is run very separately so it feels as if you are working for a separate company within each group
    Promotions are hard won and not easy with particular senior management individuals and easier with others

Advice to Management

Make Senior leadership more available to manger levels and below. Summer hours without having to work additional time (this is the ONLY company that I have ever worked at that makes you pay into summer hours with your time). Grant promotions based on effort and not politics.

"N/A"

I worked at The NPD Group full-time

Pros

A great place to work with excellent opportunity to advance

Cons

Nothing negative to say about NPD. Loved the people and the place.

"Solid Company with growth potential"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at The NPD Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative company with interesting work. Good culture where the people genuinely care about the work they do and are willing to help one another to achieve individual, team, and overall company success.

Not a company culture of clock-watchers. Flexibility when needed, just get the work done. Summer hours available, where other companies I have worked for wouldn't even entertain the idea, even if you put in the extra hours elsewhere in the week. Opportunity to work from home or remote office is possible if it makes sense.

If you work hard, show initiative, and can adapt quickly to changing environments, you can develop and grow your career.

Cons

Nothing glaring to speak of or that you wouldn't find everywhere else in Corporate America.

"How to outdate your career"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The NPD Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is all

Cons

Data technology is grossly outdated, NPD does not look good on your resume. HR has an inexplicable amount of power and is a constant road block to securing and maintaining valuable Human Resources. Accept a job at NPD and prepare to surround yourself with a number of under performers, NPD fails to recognize and compensate strong talent. It is very common to have a direct report with a higher salary. Executive management is Solely focused on sales, however they have yet to learn that sales positions usually go hand in hand with cash incentives.

Advice to Management

People are your most
    Valuable resource

"Aggressive growth using outdated methods"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The NPD Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Private company allows for longer term strategic management

Cons

Reliance on outdated consumer data methodology.

"Executive Directors are self interest and careless about the success and growth of you."

Current Employee - Director in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at The NPD Group full-time

Pros

Cons

Very disappointed in the politics and favoritism which is obvious with some senior executives. The atmosphere is often very tense due to the lying and poor leadership of mid-level management. Check Out was an area I was hoping to see potential growth and leadership. Especially with the fact that this is an innovative concept that is seen as the future of NPD. but to my surprise, the management team made it hard to see growth with this company. Upper leaders such as Jermey Allen, Tom Puolao, CFO Tom are simply true leaders that make the American dream looks possible for the youth and young adults in the early stage of their career growth. IF ONLY THESE LEADERS CHOOSE LEADERS as THEM SELFS in selecting Exec Dir's... Checkout will be the best place to work at.

Advice to Management

Select your leadership management carefully. Their old mind set and lack of flexibility to embrace idea is the barrier that will delay the progress of Checkout at its best. Too much power struggles, too much petty issues and gossip.

7. "Operations support"

Pros

Great culture
    Friendly people
    Great cafe

Cons

None I could think of

"Good Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The NPD Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NPD offers good training and a good work life balance. If you are passionate about your job it is a good fit. Many people stay for a long time

Cons

Pay is not competitive. Management is egotistical and does not take interest in employees. Many products are antiquated or not exciting to clients.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and focus time retaining talent rather than churning through good people like an assembly line. It is discouraging to focus your energy on a job with little reward

"Used To Be Great. Going Downhill So Fast."

I have been working at The NPD Group full-time

Pros

Still a market leader with certain industries but position is increasingly threatened by a series of competitors launching stellar products.

Cons

When I joined the organization the work environment was like that of a close-knit family with coworkers supporting each other and senior management always working hard to ensure employee satisfaction and providing them room to grow. Unfortunately, over time the business unit I belong to has become overly revenue- obsessed and the revenue goals have become increasingly unrealistic. An individual with a CPG background took over the leadership recently and started cutting seasoned staff to help make the numbers (as growth could not be done organically), treating the division as if the products were more important than the staff and the client relationship they had built and maintained. Sadly, management in the C suite and HR are in support of this unwise move. As a result, a few key players have left the organization involuntarily and morale is at an all-time low as everyone remaining is worried if his/her number will be called next.

Advice to Management

Cutting staff (especially those with years of experience) to make numbers is a short-term solution and will cause irreversible damages to the business in the long run, especially if competition is ramping up with stellar products and offering client service staff that clients have grown familiar with and trust. NPD is not a CPG company. People here (with their skills, knowledge and client relationships) are a bigger asset than its products. They help bring the products to life and build relationships that facilitate seamless adoption of the products by the clients.

"Direction unclear"

I worked at The NPD Group (More than a year)

Pros

+Pay was fine for my experience level and role
    +Work-life balance is good. Bosses are super understanding about things like working remotely, not wanting a lot of overtime, and so on.
    +It's not super interesting stuff, but it's a living.

Cons

-NPD doesn't seem to know what it wants right now. The team I was on was restructured twice in the just-under-two years I was there (not counting the total restructuring that happened right before I was hired, which was part of why I had 11 interview calls and meetings beforehand).

At one point, about half the team was laid off with no notice-even managers were caught by surprise. The company didn't address it until months later when directly asked at a townhall, at which point they gave the old "We thought we did this okay, but we're sorry if any of you had a problem" excuse.

Management assured the team it wouldn't happen again, then laid off more people a few months later after giving out raises for taking on extra work in the face of the first layoffs. Meanwhile, only two hires to replace the first round of layoffs had occurred, one of whom was to fill a position that had already been open for six months, and the other of whom was hired by accident(!) and let go after just two weeks (which we only found out later, of course; I was tasked by a supervisor with finding out where he was and filling him in on new information for a project when I found him, only to be told by a coworker that he had been laid off).

-Also, HR is generally unhelpful, unorganized, entirely out of the New York office (meaning other offices are kind of flying blind).