Thresholds Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Mark Ishaug

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They help lots of people with mental illness (in 6 reviews)

• Work life balance is good, at least for the program I'm in - you can't beat an 8:30 - 5 schedule (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance because of BILLING REQUIREMENTS - Almost ALL of the direct service staff is bringing work home every night (in 8 reviews)

• Very low pay and impossible bonus requirements, no other non-monetary incentives and poor employee safety measures (in 13 reviews)

1. "Thresholds has its pros and cons"

I have been working at Thresholds full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Member focused, fantastic clinical staff, fun work, community based

Cons

Nepotism, lack of transparency regarding hiring and promotions, poor salaries, disconnected leadership

Advice to Management

Allow the agency to unionize. Right now the agency is trying to unionize and the leadership is cracking down hard.

2. "Community Support Specialist"

I have been working at Thresholds full-time

Pros

The work done by Thresholds' employees significantly helps individuals living with serious mental illness and substance use disorders.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Employees are put in risky situations: Going into people's homes, working in dangerous areas, and transporting clients.

Advice to Management

Better pay.

"The Potential of Thresholds"

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Thresholds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1 . Clientele needs your help and working in direct service was very personally rewarding.
    2. Flexibility, but it's so needed with this type of work.
    3. Benefits are good, as well.

Cons

There's a reason why Thresholds employees are now trying to form a Union...

1. The pay is awful! (you can make more at McDonalds and the majority of staff possess either a Bachelors or Masters degree.. that's just NOT OKAY)
    2. The work conditions can be a dangerous/unpredictable (extra security measures, this is an easy fix.. but when employees ask for a security camera they are told it's "too expensive") hmm.. so does Thresholds really value the lives of their clients and staff?

3. No work/life balance because of BILLING REQUIREMENTS - Almost ALL of the direct service staff is bringing work home every night.

Advice to Management

1. Listen and validate your employees on the front lines! Stop focusing so much on numbers/appearances and start focusing on the people who are doing the grunt work and maybe you'll have less turn over. Use your employees to help implement positive changes that will in the long run help the lives of clients!

2. Also, majority of Team Leaders are incompetent and in return are overworked and undervalued and often project that frustration onto their team... this needs to be addressed...asap

"Great work, shady administration...but isn't that every NPO?"

Former Employee - Case Manager/Outreach Worker
    Former Employee - Case Manager/Outreach Worker

I worked at Thresholds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The actual work is wonderful--the clientele are a hoot to work with, the job varies drastically day-to-day, working with in a team setting provides support and joy.

Cons

Higher-ups were disconnected--unclear if they were incompetent or oblivious. In contrast to the professed "person-first" ethos, they are much more concerned about funding, partners with important landlords, etc. Every so often they would exert pressure on staff to do illegal or unethical things.

5. "Good days & bad days"

Current Employee - Community Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Community Support Specialist

I have been working at Thresholds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really like my coworkers and the members I work with. I generally feel supported by my coworkers and supervisors. The days vary a lot and it's great to work out in the community.

Cons

Exhausting and I spend an extra ~5 hours/week writing casenotes. I get the sense Thresholds has less turnover than other community mental health agencies, but there's still a lot of turnover.

"Elements of truth in every review about Thresholds"

Current Employee - CSS in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSS in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thresholds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to know members, helping members and their families find resolutions, getting to see actual DSM diagnoses every day, experiencing real world issues first hand

Cons

Substantial turnover-people rarely stay longer than 2 years, and that includes team leads. Not only does this translate to an ongoing lack of experience and know how in addressing or problem solving complex mental health issues with members but it also interferes with getting insightful and knowledgeable supervision from team leads.

Chasing down members who truly don't want to maintain appointments takes away from those who really do care to have appointments to work on issues. And, due to the quotas that are enforced, many of us feel like chauffeurs driving all over town, ramping up the mileage on our cars and the hours that we bill for. It is more about obtaining quantity over providing quality.

The company lacks diversity because most staff are under 30, recently graduated, hetero, white females. Much groupthink, with very little emphasis on critical thinking to solve problems.

Advice to Management

With the plethora of reviews available on this site for quite some time, there's been nothing done by management to alleviate any issues described. That said, not exactly sure what to write here.

7. "Community support specialist"

I have been working at Thresholds full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and great work environment

Cons

The pay is very low

"Therapist"

I have been working at Thresholds full-time

Pros

Training, mission, inter-office support and shared compassion from co-workers

Cons

Advice to Management

More transparency, more reasonable opportunities for bonuses or non-monetary incentives.

"Thresholds"

I worked at Thresholds full-time

Pros

The mission is inspiring and most of the people are terrific.

Cons

Very hierarchical, no room to move.

10. "Community Support Specialist"

Former Employee - ACT Community Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - ACT Community Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Thresholds (More than a year)

Pros

Great Team Work and Supervision opportunities; My team leaders were always available to offer support or direction when needed.

Cons

Spend quite a bit of personal time completing tasks including written notes and offering support to clients with severe mental health needs.