Time Out Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Julio Bruno

Pros
  • It's a cool office space/environment (in 3 reviews)

• Exciting industry and some really great staff (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Email is huge here, and you find your self constantly responding to emails hours which cuts into the work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• You can either choose to work long hours or learn how to take your work home constantly (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Pros

See how a large magazine company operates

Cons

Work environment can be too relaxed sometimes

Advice to Management

Implement more strict work procedure

"Cool people, terrible company"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Time Out Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Interesting content
    - Cool people
    - Brand recognition, which can potentially be leveraged into a better job once you leave

Cons

- Badly run company
    - Constant changes in management and strategy
    - Terrible pay, even by industry standards
    - Sacrificing quality to chase traffic goals

3. "Cool, but Lost, Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Time Out Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The editorial teams are second to none. Business Development teams come up with some amazing ideas. You will absolutely learn new things working here.

Cons

Leadership is a complete loss. Company changes direction every few months, and emphasizes by hiring and firing people with in months. I can't count the number of managers I've had in my time here.

Advice to Management

Pick one focus, any focus, and stick to it.

5. "Misleading"

Pros

Cool people, cool office space

Cons

Was told I could get more hours than I could

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your employees

6. "Good Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Time Out Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with lots of fun people, super hip place to work and lots of fun events all the time. It will impress your friends and acquaintances when you tell them you work there. Always be the first to know about all the great new restaurants, shows, and concerts in town.

Cons

Weekly publication workflow can be a bit brisk... it never slows down. Office location is a bit out-of-the-way over on Tenth. Being a local publication, compensation tends to be a bit lower than other (national) publications in New York City.

Advice to Management

Remain ever sensitive to the ever-changing media landscape.

"Stay Away"

I worked at Time Out Group full-time

Pros

Working here has some perks. You might get free tickets, to show, get to go to an event and oh yeah, they have a bar. Other than that, nothing impressive

Cons

Where do I start. Management stinks. They take advantage of the employees and expect them to work crazy hours with low pay. They are in a money crunch so the vibe is terrifying as you don't know if you will be fired or the company is going to fold. Everyone is miserable and looking for the door, but the job market sucks so they just suck it up. Sales are a bunch of phoney, catty women who will back stab you or throw you under the bus in a heart beat. Did I mention salary? be prepared to live check to check.

Advice to Management

Invest in your product and staff. Bring the tools up to date. Be all inclusive and not just protective of sales since they make the money.

8. "Good place for entry level"

Pros

There's a ton of upward mobility essentially because there are no resources. If you're someone who is young and eager, it's a great place to get your career started and gain a ton of experience in a short amount of time.

Cons

You'll easily get burnt out, taken advantage of. There's basically no structure and you're always left wondering "who's in charge here"?

Advice to Management

Staff up, pay up, invest in the product, and be on the look-out for the next big thing

"Decent Job"

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Time Out Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good gig, pretty easy, lets you self-manage.

Cons

Low pay, corporate structure is always in crisis as they aren't making enough money; often seems like they hire writers and editors who lack actual expertise in their vertical.

"Worst professional experience of my life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Time Out Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be an amazing and reputable brand

Cons

Be warned—the positive reviews aren't really reflective of the company. HR coerces new hires into writing those.

You will be expected to work nights, weekends and holidays for no compensation. When you question this, your manager will tell you “this is the nature of publishing." There's a ton of pressure to stay at work late each and every day, and you are expected to still be able to function and show up to work on time every day. It wasn't uncommon to get scolding emails from bosses for not showing up on the dot (after constantly and consistently being overworked.)

Don't expect a raise. Ever. When presenting the case for a raise you'll be told the company is on a "pay freeze." I was told this more than once by various higher ups, even after I was encouraged to ask for a raise by HR. Most employees (editorial, photo/art and digital sections) struggle, making 30k-40k annually while select execs make near six-figure salaries. We used to at least get a cost of living raise yearly at about 1% a year. As of a few years ago we don't even get that anymore.

There was more than one instance while I worked here of employees being fired simply because HR or a boss didn't like them on a personal level. Not something Time Out can really afford with the extremely high turnover rate they have, but it happened. Most employees last less than a year due to the insane hours, unrealistic demands of their job, unqualified management or simply layoffs.

Layoffs have been occurring annually for the past few years in an effort to cut costs. More and more weight of the company is carried by freelancers who are rarely paid on time due to budget issues. Editors will be fired and then offered roles as freelancers as cost cutting measures, the company won’t have to pay benefits that way or as high a salary.

Whenever a layoff occurs or someone quits, Time Out usually doesn't hire anyone to replace them. If they do, they’ll hire maybe one new person to do the job of three. This is a cost cutting measure. As a result my job duties went up ten fold over the course of a few years with no additional compensation or assistance.

You will be required to attend an annual Summit a.k.a. Week long conference each year. The meetings that are a part of this conference are the most pointless use of time ever. The bulk of the required meetings take place during the work day and we are still expected to get everything done and in on time. One of the meetings we had this past year was around five hours long. In these meetings you will be told by the CEO, VP, Chairman etc. about how amazing the company is and nothing but positive information is relayed. It's like the execs think if they repeat lies long enough employees will believe that the company is really doing well, despite financial losses since 2006 (Google it.) We’re also floating 200mil worth of stocks starting this month, and if that isn’t a huge red flag I don’t know what is.

The company budget is so stingy and the office is managed so poorly that it wasn't uncommon for us to run out of paper towels, plastic cutlery, paper cups etc. in the office. This includes running out of toilet paper. I started carrying extra napkin/tissue in my bag just in case we ran out, which happened from time to time. I’m not kidding.

Totally thankless job. Everyone is so stressed out and overworked that you’ll never ever hear a “Thank You.” TOXIC work environment. I would walk into the office, which was usually silent aside from frenzied typing and swearing, and feel the stress levels and anxiety. It’s obvious nearly everyone there is miserable. I’m not someone who needs constant praise or anything, but manners and professionalism should exist in the workplace.

In conclusion, run. Do not walk away from a position at this company.

"Not what it use to be, avoid unless it's a stopgap for your career"

Former Employee - Editor
    Former Employee - Editor

Pros

Cool brand, lots of parties and drinking, some nice people on staff (including some wonderful writers), neat office, trip to NYC every year if you aren't based out of that office, decent pay for the industry, looks cool on your resume, really great health benefits.

Cons

Catty environment, horrible work/life balance, forced to live the lifestyle 24/7 or get left in the dust, poor management, lack of organization and future agenda, not transparent about content that is influenced by ads, very cliquey, horrible scheduling of deadlines and management, talks so much crap about others in the industry, bad reputation for hiring and laying off or firing people SUPER quickly.

I was warned by multiple people in the industry to NOT work for Time Out, that the brand has changed over the past 5 years and the environment and lifestyle wasn't what it use to be. I should have listened to all of them. I don't care if they promise you the moon, don't believe it. I left a wonderful job I loved because they reached out to me, was shut down and kept from doing my job well because I wasn't chummy with the boss, then laid off. The most unprofessional, horrible experience I've had in media, and that's saying a lot for an industry that sadly treats a lot of people like crap. I learned a lot from the experience, but I would tell people to run from this company. It's sad, I use to love the brand but it's a shell of itself, which is a shame because they really do have some quality people on staff. But a few bad apples can in this case spoil the whole bunch.

Advice to Management

Hire new management, stop promoting people that want to run the business like their personal social circle. Aaron David was lovely to work with, but a lot of people at the top are not people I'd ever want to work for again. The worst job experience I have EVER had.