Toolots Reviews

1. 5.0

Lots of growth!

Jul 25, 2019 - Social Media Manager in Cerritos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being a newer company, there is a ton of growth and opportunities to expand your career and skills. You learn a lot very quickly in a very short time. New projects and directions are brought up to keep you on your toes.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but you're responsible for your own career growth and finding the right groove to do the stuff you want to do.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible, dishonest leadership. Avoid.

Jan 27, 2021 - Business Development Representative in Cerritos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free parking, orange walls, nice people around. Not a lot to say here.

Cons

This is one of the worst companies to work at. I know that we are practically bankrupt, but CEO is doing nothing to fix this. He just fires people who disagree with him. He just fired the CFO, who was brought in to turn things around and wasn't given a chance. I am Chinese so he complains about other people all the time to me. His English is terrible (even after 20 years here), so trusts only those people who speak Mandarin. No strategy for the company. All he is focused on are SOPs and KPIs and doesn't give a crap about culture and morale. Oh, the bathrooms are filthy with urine on floors and roaches and they only clean offices once a week. I'm looking for another job and everyone in my department is as well.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0

Yikes

Aug 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have to write 5 words minimum here.

Cons

To cut to the chase: do not work here. I will do my best to describe why, but I encourage you to read other reviews from employees on Indeed and glassdoor. You should also read the reviews on facebook, google, and the better business bureau; take notice of many reviews that seem to be doctored. Be aware that managers were forced to write good employee reviews that are VERY easy to spot. Most of those managers are no longer with the company anymore. The turnover has been tremendously high. People are either fired from the ceo or leave for better opportunities. Many people have been fired over the public company messaging system; sometimes announced to the whole company before the person even knew themselves. One person was fired while on vacation. All of this toxic culture ultimately trickles down from the ceo. He is not interested in collaborating with employees and hates when people who have contextual knowledge try to steer him in the right direction. Communication is a crucial issue. Both because of a language barrier and because goals, plans, interdepartmental communications are not distributed. Most things are told abruptly, and without counsel from those it affects who have more insight. There is no real direction of the company. They are constantly pivoting and heading whichever way the CEO is thinking that month.  Vacation is 2 weeks earned throughout the year. The company took away personal days, does not pay out sick time (3 days), and does not have any floating holidays. The only holidays given are the ones that UPS is closed. Pay is extremely low. They often fill key roles with people from overseas who are willing to work for much less. Any bonuses that exist have been changed and decreased multiple times to make sure people do not make too much. The CEO has said that salaries for employees and managers will “never go up”, and believes that the incentive of bonuses is the only way toolots will ever operate. But he also continues to decrease the bonuses he himself has suggested for every department.  Many promises are made by management. They offer stock options that they promise will make you rich, that are based on outlandish goals claiming the company will be worth billions. The CEO justifies the low pay by promising these stocks fill in the gap. The stocks are only worth anything if the company goes public. The company is nowhere close to reaching those goals.  The individual medical/dental benefits are the one good thing about the company. They offer kaiser/metlife at a great price.  The company mostly sells imported cheap products from china. Many of these products are of supremely poor quality and it is a disaster to deal with for customers who buy these poor products.  Corners are cut all the time. The company just refuses to address huge problems within the organization that affect efficiency, morale, customer satisfaction, and operations. There is no IT manager, only a team of developers. Anything related to the office, wifi, your computer, is up to a team of people to fix who simply do not care and have no sense of urgency to help with. There is no receptionist or office manager to make sure supplies are there, restrooms stay stocked, or customers are helped when they come in. This means you will constantly be interrupted to do office duties usually done by someone else.  HR is outsourced, so any employee problems/complaints, issues with benefits, issues with time cards, etc. All are dealt through the CTO, or you have to go to the outsourced company yourself.  Beware their job descriptions. Many people have taken jobs here and then had the role be changed immediately to be something completely different. Many people have been hired into roles that were described inaccurately in the job posting; all because the language barrier or lack of oversight.

9 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Waste of life - No Opportunity

Aug 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the people here are great to work with

Cons

Everyone else here is selfish, the accounting team does not want to do their job, unless it's entering one or two numbers and clicking a button. You are lucky to pay your invoices within a net term. Accounting has you make the payout, collect and inventory the invoices and reach out to customers regarding their payments. Warehouse is too busy smoking and drinking to really do much of anything. The guys are great guys, it is no fault outside of the CEO who constantly walks around berating them belittling them and everyone else in the company. Warehouse does not make what every other warehouse in the state makes and it's completely unsafe. You are told you are never good enough, the CEO is in charge of your promotions, your changes, so if you don't prove yourself to a man who doesn't pay attention to anyone outside of his investors good luck. If you are a female trying to work here, good luck unless you are of the asian look and culture. Most of our managers were FIRED and replaced with someone who was from China or whos family was with a high record of work work work slave slave slave. I watched managers get hired and fired within their first month. I have seen more turn over at this company than any company I have ever worked for. The stress of having to wake up and go to a company where the owner doesn't care that you don't make even half of what someone else in your position anywhere else in the country makes, with FOUR TIMES the work as them, and barely able to afford your living. loans to pay bills....but wait it's better. Do you need supplies? Buy them yourself not from the company money. Customer Service are 18 - 19 year olds who have no experience in the Industrial world and are selling machines that come from China which are labeled as already in the warehouse. Just look at Facebook.....like allll of their facebook. that should say more than you need to know. In any position here you will be yelled at, screamed at, belittled, told you are worthless and it's not just the customers. The cockroaches get more respect in this place than a human being.

11 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A busy company

Jul 17, 2020 - Warehouse Worker in Cerritos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The working environment is relatively relaxed.

Cons

There's a bit of a mess in management, and wages aren't competitive.

6. 1.0

Lacking

Oct 22, 2020 - Technical Support Engineer in Cerritos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not many, but bonuses is one

Cons

Systems in place, managers, no quality control

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

An Adventure to Be Had

Jul 25, 2019 - Client Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family style environment, new and different skills to learn daily, cross-training available. The ability to watch a company grow is incredible, but to be apart of that growth is on another planet. Everyone here is passionate about what they do, and for me, I love the ability to learn about how things are made, starting with the machines. Parties and Holidays are always a blast, great atmosphere, and amazing people make it a never ending fun time!

Cons

We do share some responsibilities as a start-up, which of course can lead to being "burnt out" or rather tired, and on occasion in need of a day off, but for those who are still here, we are glad to do it for the future of progress.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Almost surreal

Jan 9, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The initial demeanor of the employees is as to be expected: professional, kind, helpful and welcoming. I felt like I was on my way to embarking on a new career which was quite a confidence boost. Communication (when convenient to those whom you seek assistance from) is above average, some people here really take their position seriously, mainly those who were there from the start / early on. Health benefits are quite a package deal, establishment is quite clean, but only a couple employees make a point to promote overall cleanliness. Nobody here abuses their workstation. Warehouse has a showroom which is quite exciting to tour, being able to go back there at any time (as an employee of course) allows for one to see some machines up close. Support among coworkers is fair, perhaps would be much greater with a higher employee count and overall understanding of direction. I was acknowledged for some of the growth I had made during my time there, this was crucial for me to know I was valued and I will say that when you are acknowledged for getting more and more accustomed to your job, it can really help newcomers feel confident to continue learning. You "have the ability" to learn about these machines, I personally was somewhat able to learn how a couple products work based on the few videos available (and trying to make sense of the owners manual when videos weren't there).

Cons

Inconsistency in almost every field imaginable. Misinformation on roles and responsibilities was my introduction to the company, I applied for a position that I was informed was available and needed filling "immediately". Months later (yes, months later, on a position they needed filled "immediately") I'm finally contacted again and after more consideration had been made regarding my skills by the hiring manager, I was offered a different position and this was not only noted via email exchanges, but on the official paperwork I was to sign as well prior to starting, including a different starting pay amount (I was actually paid somewhat less). So I ended up in a position I wasn't hired for, and to make this even more upsetting, not even a couple months in and the position I was hired for was just given to someone else in my department, whom had transferred quietly. Every day until my last I got to see this person working under the title I was hired for. Honesty is selective, the higher up on the chain you are / more liked you are will enable you to learn things about other employees, such as their faults as described by others, the truth about the situations currently at hand. I was also not aware until a few days into my job here that I was going to be managing hundreds of orders for not one, not two, but FIVE companies, thats not including orders from eBay and Amazon either which I was never trained to handle, not to mention I had no opportunities to even learn much about the machines or really any of the products we carry to learn unless I watched a video we had on the product on our website because I was told we can't be in the Warehouse much since we need to be at our phones (including me, there was only 4 people total in my department), I even got told I can't be wandering the WH too much, then not even a month or so later the CEO himself berates our management via group chat asking why we don't go into the WH to learn about our products. Nothing is clear to us until the last minute and its always followed by some sort of consequence. A couple weeks before the end, the manager posted some document into the group chat, tagged all the department managers and its essentially a long-winded letter further pushing "Management must be result-oriented". Stress levels are present among too many people, its far too high for so many of the employees, especially a newcomer. I felt like I was going to lose it on most days simply because I had little direction and knowledge on how to move forward. Even some department management has expressed frustration on several occasions about the work day, making small comments about "things falling apart", "not gonna survive", "whats happening??" and a other similar gestures that could easily cause worry to those listening nearby. This hit my confidence quite hard as an employee, how can I trust my future at a company if the higher ups are displaying fear and uncertainty in their body language. To see the those working longer than most (especially in higher spots) act this way makes it pretty clear that its been an ongoing situation for some time and further prompts one asking themselves, "is this really where I need to be?". Assistance on tasks that I need help with at that moment comes at a terrible inconsistency as well, to the point where I felt like I was a burden for seeking assistance, I'd get looked at as if I was unwelcome for even needing help, as if I should have already been at their level and all I was doing was annoying someone. At times I get talked to like they were already finished speaking to me before the conversation started. You never talk to a newcomer this way, especially when you offer yourself as a point of assistance to them. Doesn't help that there was only one manager in my department and the next best employee in that field has a habit of venting over what is and isn't their job to both coworkers and customers whenever they complain to them, which has even lead to notes being left on orders by this rep who has no problem stating they does not wish to continue bothering with the situation, which leads to me or someone else taking the call and getting all the heat from the customer because they were given false information by that rep, or were never given a follow up as promised to them and over the duration of my time there, this rep would only seem to answer on their own accord if the call went to their phone first or if the rep was told that the customer specifically asked to speak to that rep. I noticed another change in my department not too long after I started where suddenly all the calls were coming in on my line first, I even had this confirmed and I thought this was a simply outrageous because now not only was I new and still undergoing training, but now I had an even harder time keeping up with even more calls, and keeping up with notes, follow ups, inquiries that customers wanted answered THAT SAME DAY, sometimes within the hour and in many cases I was unable to give some customers an actual answer (this was far too often and ended up in routine disappointment because I was unable to get an answer to them in a "timely" manner from whom I had reached out to, but the blame was placed onto me anyways, go figure). I was told training happens on a weekly basis, but this was not true either and while I had most of the basics covered, I still had to learn most of them through trial and error that, on quite a few occasions, felt like a grand mistake because I would get a lot of curveballs I was not prepared for at all. To get training on a task, I would ask how a certain procedure works, I won't get much of an answer on where to click and what to write or whom to speak to unless it was clear to everyone else nearby, it was like nobody really had time to stop what they were doing to assist/train me because it would mean falling behind on work they were already behind on. Its not efficient for someone to learn their way around the company through constant slip ups and error that would essentially affect your longevity at a company regardless of you being new and depending on who I asked and when, it seemed to be at their expense to bother explaining something to me. I'm the one who is new and assumes I must rely on those within my own department to understand what is required of me. If I'm being talked to like you can't make time to take care of something that is work related, then I find it a bit difficult to see you as reliable down the line. HR was practically nonexistent, roles among many were switched several times within my duration here, it was like trying to solve a never ending puzzle. I was laid off by someone in the IT department, which was, at the very least, shocking and unsettling. I thought I had seen it all up until this point, which was, to me, far more mind blowing than me being let go, which is saying a lot.

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Product management

Nov 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teamwork, Friendly and open environment, growth through an amazing experience. You have the chance to learn something new and discover a new interest and career, with such a friendly environment that only gets better through the months. As a start up we had many issues as all companies suffer; we had loss and we had gain, though all have helped build us to the greatness we're becoming. I've been here close to a year and we recently received full benefits in which we're extremely happy for. Along with new arrivals who have helped develop and grow our departments. I foresee us to be as great as Amazon when it comes to industries! If you have an interest in being apart of something great, look no further! I have held many a position and none compare to the joy I feel each day as I look forward to the start of my day almost as much if not more than the end of it, and I never thought that was possible. I am a believer.

Cons

Can be a bit cold inside. Sometimes bad days happen. That's all I can think of

10. 4.0

Don't Give Up!

Jul 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Toolots is a relatively new company with a progressive business model. It’s a large challenge and will take a little time to master but there are a lot of growth opportunities for the company and the team running it. One of the benefits of working at a startup like Toolots is that you have more of a direct impact on the operations of the company and its culture. Due to the nature of a startup, you get to wear multiple hats and support departments that you normally would not have the opportunity to do at other companies. The CEO has made it clear that there are incredible opportunities for those who deliver and are high performers. The current team is great and shares the same vision of the CEO. Toolots is positioning itself to be a major player in the industry and if they can execute the vision, they will be around for decades.

Cons

Understaffed. Because most everyone is taking on multiple responsibilities, there is a high risk of getting burnt out and not executing on time.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews