Townsquare Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Tim Pirrone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture and work environment is very fun and always exciting (in 9 reviews)

• It would be a great job for someone just out of school or wanting to get into a fast paced digital marketing company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • ll have a massive (and I mean massive) book of business which is difficult to manage and a manager breathing down your neck to make sure you (in 5 reviews)

• Its a great place for younger professionals but not as much for more mature professionals (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"There's a reason TSI is ranked as a 'Best Place To Work'"

Current Employee - ISS Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - ISS Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uplifting, energetic, fast-pace environment. Every day is different, in a good way. Small, intimate teams where the managers and teammates are encouraging and inclusive. Individual and team contests are always in play, with the prizes ranging from $ to swag, to team outings, getting out of work early, etc. It's sales, so you get out of it what you put in. You can make a ton of commission. They pay 70% commission on every sale regardless of the dollar size of the deal. I haven't seen any other sales job out there that pays out uncapped commissions that high. They also have multiple promotion tiers where you can earn up to $10k added to your base that aren't based on tenure or how well you're liked, but strictly on your sales performance.

Cons

Non-applicable-I'm very happy with my job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! It's apparent that you truly care about each rep, and invest in everybody on a one-on-one basis, pertinent to how they need to be trained/managed.

2. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time

Pros

Room for growth. Great culture. Family feel

Cons

none that I can think of

3. "You'll be lucky to find a start up as good as this"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

environment, culture of in house promotions, chance to move up quickly, valued as a worker, amazing hands-on CEO

Cons

Little to none, unless you are a millennial that thinks they are above office work, this place really has everything you could ask for.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your employees and promoting change and vision within the company.

4. "Senior account executive"

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time

Pros

Great culture and great idea

Cons

No follow through , to focused on quotas and what you are doing wrong and not what you have done for them

Jun 26, 2017 – Head of Sales

Thanks for your feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our awesome culture during your time here at Townsquare Interactive. Our sales floor has recently eliminated quotas. We believe that the... More

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're just out of college, TSI is a great place to start for the first year or two of your career, but that's about it.

They do their best to provide a fun company culture and "inspire" their employees, but it's pretty obvious that management cares more about numbers than you as a person or your career growth

Your coworkers will keep you sane.

Cons

Pay is low - bonuses are nice, but once you really get into the role, they get harder to hit as your book of business grows.

What they call a "promotion" is really just adding the word Senior to your title and throwing more money at you. If you try to take on more responsibility within the company and your numbers slip for that quarter, you will lose that title and essentially be demoted.

Very high stress, very little reward. If you do your job well, chances are you're the most stressed out person there. Yes, you're making more money, but I didn't find any personal satisfaction within myself or my career by hitting numbers.

The management (with the exception of maybe 1 or 2) put on this facade that TSI is the greatest place to work and they actually care about you, but in actuality, you are just a number, required to hit your numbers. I definitely agree that having younger managers creates an unprofessional environment. The superiority complexes of most managers (who are just middle managers, basically liaisons between the president and directors to employees) is almost sickening.

They call the role "Digital Marketing Specialist" but in reality, it is a call center. Instead of working on your client’s campaigns, you're required to call each client to make sure they're happy so they'll stay on - then send off tickets to other departments that actually do the marketing of the campaign. I honestly felt lied to when I started the position and realized I was just a customer service rep with a better title.

If you're client decides to cancel on you, for whatever reason (closing the business, service is too costly, etc), you're required to try to "save" them, in which employees basically harass people into staying on, lying to them about what we can do, even lying about their positions (posing as managers or client retention reps) - just say or do whatever it takes to keep that client on - which, in my opinion, is unethical business practices.

The sales people convince business owners that TSI has the greatest product on the market, customized to their specific business/industry. But the product is all the same, which does not work for everyone, and in turn hurts the DMS's numbers when the client figures that out.

All in all, if you're just out of college, this is a great starting point, though it is very high stress. If you have previous work experience, don't waste your time. The micro management style is enough to drive a person mad. You aren't trusted to fulfill your job functions - they schedule out your day, telling you what to do and when to do it - rather than trust that the employee is responsible enough to manage their time/work load.

It was also evident that my manager hadn’t once looked at my resume to review my qualifications or experience. It was pretty insulting to be treated like I had no experience in the industry or otherwise.

Advice to Management

Reduce the amount of clients in an employees book of a business to a manageable amount. You boast about this "personalized" service with a "dedicated rep" but it's impossible to remember over 200 clients, let alone 250+. I feel if the BOB was reduced to 150-180, you'd see a happier, more productive staff because they can actually do the work they say they're going to do for the client.

Jun 19, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for your feedback! We put together our current compensation plan to ensure our Digital Marketing Specialists are well taken care of. On average, 75% of our DMS team meets or exceeds their... More

""Decent Place to Work"

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time

Pros

-fun and young company culture, great team of employees overall
    -encouraging managers
    -good experience for someone coming right out of college
    -not a really difficult job in terms of general responsibilities, great work/life balance
    -really great and thorough onboarding training process
    -things are always changing and new products are always being unveiled which is great for the business
    -company president, Tim Pirrone, is so accessible and a great leader

Cons

-the pay isn't that great and monthly bonuses are incredibly difficult to make and are based on churn which is the retention of your book of business month to month. Often the reason people cancel are for things out of your control and not based on your performance in your role such as not paying their bill or closing their business but they still affect your overall number
    -high turnover...I saw 3 people on my team quit within the first 2 months, enough said there
    -it is extremely rare to see people stick around for years due to the lack of career growth. There are "promotions" to different senior levels which come with more money however your senior status and subsequent increase in pay can be taken away if you do not hit your numbers the following quarters
    -this job is not one for someone who wants to truly use their marketing skills to develop a strong marketing strategy for a small business. The position feels more like a call center where you're required to make call after call each day and in reality maybe spend 15 minutes a month at most on majority of your established client's campaigns
    -the TSI product is solid overall but seems to only work about 2/3 of the time and unfortunately unrealistic expectations are set with clients and bad sales are made just to get more and more clients on board
    -lastly, because retention is the name of the game, you are required to "save" clients any time they request to cancel (this is pretty much a daily occurrence) which makes sense and helps your overall numbers but at the end of the day this isn't a good solution for every small business owner and it becomes draining trying to say whatever needs to be said (even if it's not true) to keep that client

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees and their professional growth. I felt like my manager cared about my work as well as me on a personal level which was great! I am grateful for my experience at TSI and the things that I learned. I will take a lot of that into my new position and career and encourage anyone looking to gain skills in the digital marketing space or for work in Charlotte in general to look into TSI.

Jun 14, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! We are happy to hear that you felt supported and developed by your manager and peers during your time here with Townsquare. We put together the... More

7. "TSI"

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time

Pros

Good people, great product, lucrative rewards, positive environment, exciting fast growing company...

Cons

No HR dept in office.

Advice to Management

Hire a lead gen dept. Ease off the high pressure sales cycle.

8. "High Call volume, High turnover"

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time

Pros

Fun environment. Games and meetings in the mornings and afternoons.

Cons

Management isn't the most helpful. Gotta hit those numbers or you're gone. It's not for everyone

Advice to Management

Help struggling employees better.

9. "Wolf of Wallstreet"

Pros

Great environment and laid back.

Cons

Cold Call all day and a lot of work

10. "Best Place to Work - Hands Down"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, great leadership, fantastic product and most importantly wonderful people in every department.

This place is my santuary. I get to come into work every day and be surrounded by people who actually care about my success. They spend the time and massive amounts of energy putting time and training into you, and if you ask for it, you will receive. There are more loving people in this company than I could express.

The president of this company literally walks around daily and hangs with his employees and knows them all by name. It is truly an amazing culture. There is tons of room for growth and with that growth comes lots of training.

The best part is the product. IT WORKS. I have helped countless business owners ramp up their business and bring in more work and do something that actually represents them and the business. I came from a company that sold a crappy product so I love giving business owners something that is actually beneficial for their company's growth.

Cons

Sure, some days the grind can get tough but this is sales and if you aren't ready to come in and bust your butt then this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You encourage and help shape your employees into amazing sales people. I am so thankful for this opportunity and hope I can continue to grow and flourish here.