Trading Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick Lane

Pros
  • Flexible work environment (work from home, plenty of PTO) which encourages health (discount to gym in building, in-house fitness clubs) (in 15 reviews)

• The work/life balance was good and you have plenty of vacation days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • TT is pushing the marketing envelope really hard, but the adoption of their new platform is disappointing as of today (in 7 reviews)

• Also management (not really upper management) can play favorites in some departments (in 7 reviews)

"Forward Thinking Co."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

TT is a forward thinking progressive company. The management team cares as much about the employees and the work environment as it does about the direction of the company.

Cons

Seeking out directions can be difficult because the company is constantly treading in new areas.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Awesome company to work with"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right above the train station.
    Flexible working hour.
    Technology driven.
    Cool kitchen layout.
    Less micro management.

Cons

Metropolitan syndrome: cold, self-centered people, including management team.
    401 match only max 1.5% of salary.

"Seriously Underappreciated"

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

The people at TT are incredibly cordial, hardworking and personable. Teamwork isn't something that we strive to do well, it's the baseline. We count on each other, we communicate, we acknowledge when miscommunications happen and we recognize when we fall short. I've been pushed to do better and gain new skills mostly because I don't want to say no or let down my colleagues. I can't say that's always been comfortable, but I get it. As anywhere, some days are longer than others.

No, we don't all sing Kumbaya all the time, but as a baseline we see each other as human beings and that's a pretty good place to start. My team has changed in the time I've been at TT, and sure, there has been some frustrations occasionally, but those generally ease up before too long. I generally feel empowered and trusted to fulfill my duties in the way I see fit, and to reach out and grab new opportunities.

Cons

Yes, the company has been undergoing changes – but, c'mon it's now partially a SaaS company and pivoting is kind of the point – and it's always uncomfortable to see things change, even when you want them to. I've lived through personnel changes, perk amendments, and product pivots, but I always feel informed as to why things are changing and given the information to back it up. Sure, not as quickly as I'd always like, but I haven't worried endlessly about why a change is happening either before a company-wide answer has been provided.

And, of course, the bonuses could always be better.

Advice to Management

I've never expected much interaction with a CEO or to hear from one on a routine basis outside of your typical company-wide newsletter, but Rick has surprised me. He is a solid, open advocate for the company and reaches out. He holds an ear to the ground and adapts. He has a buck-stops-here attitude, and has been incredibly open with the company about where we are at technologically, financially, and otherwise, and why he's making the decisions he is making. He's not given me any reason to question whether his forthrightness and approachable nature are anything other than genuine. He's, without a doubt, one of the good guys.

"Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In engineering, the technologies being worked with on a daily basis are cutting edge and great for a future career in the tech industry. Working with AWS as the cloud provider gives ample opportunity to take advantage of honing skills with working in the cloud. The people here are incredibly smart and really passionate about the future of this company. The vision of the company is grand, but that is what makes it exciting. Industry renovating ideas are being built, so Googling for that cut and paste answer doesn't always work.

Cons

A prior con was visibility into upper management decision making. They listened, and they addressed. It's clear what goal is being worked towards. The trading industry as a whole requires longer hours. Rarely, but sometimes, longer hours are needed. In the experience I have had, my manager has stepped up every time and acknowledged the work with corresponding time off without needing to record it.

Advice to Management

It's great being reminded, like we have been recently, the end goal we are working towards. Painting that picture to all the different teams that make up this company reminds us that it will take all of us to achieve that goal.

"Great potential, huge upside"

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- quality and dedication of people & teams
    - genuine care and stewardship from senior management
    - modern & progressive work environment
    - strong external and internal communications
    - very challenging and innovative product work going on
    - small but global company, market leader

Cons

- in small niche industry, but looking to expand
    - (not really a con but reality) internal changes & challenges of transforming company (into start-up mentality) takes some growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep pushing strategy and culture - results will come

Trading Technologies Response

Dec 27, 2016 – CTO

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. What you’ve written resonates with me. The people, environment, level of communication, and challenging and innovative product are what I love most ... More

"Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits. company is loyal and rewards good work. employees get options so can participate in upside. great home office.

Cons

chicago is a bit cold if warm weather is your thing.

"Most innovative fintech company I've worked for"

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, ability to work from home, modern web technologies, free craft beer & snacks, management that codes, cool office, and challenging work every day. Safe to say, my friends are jealous of my job.

Cons

High performance expectations, modest bonuses, and not enough technical staff. It seems like there is more ambition than ability to do all the things we say we want to do.

Advice to Management

Have better planning for new features and components while explaining more clearly why those features make sense to work on. Also, give us more time to check our work.

"Great place to work, bright future"

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot has been happening at TT over the past several years. As a former customer, I have been a fan of TT for a long time. They set out on an ambitious remaking of their entire product, which at the time seemed questionable to a lot of people, myself included. After using the new product, it very quickly became clear that they had made the right choice. I knew they were on to something significant, that I wanted to be a part of.

Since joining TT, I have met and worked with some of the hardest working and most dedicated people I have ever met. The office is focused and collaborative. Having the opportunity to tackle new challenges keeps things interesting and ensures people are always learning.

Cons

Some teams feel under water more often than should be expected of them

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward

"Disruptive technologies have fluid futures"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We're all owners and take pride in that. Each employee @ TT is granted options and / or shares.
    We're and industry leader and building software that will change some of the key processes of an very large and important industry (trading / capital markets).
    We're in an industry ripe for disruptions and we're leading that change; distancing ourselves from our peers.
    Flexible work environment (work from home, plenty of PTO) which encourages health (discount to gym in building, in-house fitness clubs).
    Trying new things is encouraged and innovation is expected.
    Generally upbeat office with most people thankful for being here.
    Location (Union Station).
    The coffer is wonderful.

Cons

It's not easy. We're not shooting for singles and doubles here and are instead aiming to crush the ball out of the park. Not a "con" in my book but perhaps for some.
    Change is what we do and if you're not flexible enough to adapt; you'll suffer. What you're doing today may be redundant in six months and you must be able to evolve. Again, not a "con" in my book but is for others.
    Our customer base is active from Sunday afternoon through Friday evening non-stop. You may be required to work some odd hours.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing and lever our edge. Promote from within. Promote TT pride internally and externally.

Trading Technologies Response

Dec 28, 2016 – Chief Marketing Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. When I read your posting, it really struck a chord with me as I feel very similar. It is great to see the pride in the work that has help build ... More

"Good company"

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is Technology driven, high IQ technologist and have helpful colleagues.
    Overall environment is positive and moving towards common goal

Cons

Many a times we undertake way more then we can finish. Its not all bad, but it can be improvized with keeping project / product management alignment /expectations with available resources

Advice to Management

Stay on course to improve the financial health of the firm. Keep doing that without compromising on technology innovation, which you have been able to do it so far.