Trading Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2018

4.0
Rick Lane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great work/life balance, really great work culture" (in 10 reviews)

• "Fully stocked snack room with bagels every day and they even have a bar in the office now with a game room upstairs" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "A prior con was visibility into upper management decision making" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Works at Trading Technologies Full-time. Great work environment."

Current Employee - Office Manager/Facilities Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager/Facilities Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome place to work. Every oriented and flexible. Great pay/bonus/benefits.

Cons

Seeing good working colleagues leave.

Advice to Management

Always be sure to check up on your team.

"Flexible and Great Perks"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The tech perks are the best compared to all my previous companies and compared to my friend's companies. A lot of nice smart people. Decent office space and a pretty cool cafeteria.

Cons

The leadership is pretty bad! They do not know how to utilize their employees, a lot of great people are leaving and they have a hard time filling positions. They are constantly rebuilding features because the people who take over do not understand the technology nor the product. So much wasted time and money on useless meetings and constant rebuilding of applications.

Advice to Management

No advice reaches management, seriously! All I can say is good luck, you will need it.

3. "Director"

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best technology available in our space. Team Focused, hard working group of talented people. Great perks.

Cons

Days can be long at times....

4. "Best Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Beer at work

Cons

Nothing, Nothing , Nothing Nothing and Nothing

"Company was going down hill"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office Location was great for commuters. Amenities in the office were good (snacks, drinks). Benefits were above average. Got to work with nice smart people.

Cons

Upper Management didn't seem to have clear direction of what they wanted. A lot of changes in leadership.

Advice to Management

Make sure you do the business research and know what you want before starting to build solutions.

6. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Full Stack Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a full stack software engineer. I have worked for Trading Technologies for one more year. The company has the wonderful work/life balance and my team does not have on call. The coworkers are friendly and knowledgable. The working is also interesting because I can use the most advanced technologies to work on the new project, like Angular 4 and ASP.NET Core. The company provides the breakfast and has the special breakfast and the fruit on Friday.

Cons

I hope the company can provide the fruit everyday. It is the only downside so far.

7. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trading Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent team of very intelligent, experienced engineers with diverse technical backgrounds. Continually focused on solving problems in the most efficient way and often going beyond. My team members are very helpful, professional and supportive of each other. The technical expectations and the business goals seem to be very well aligned. There are many developers here who have worked here for several years because they love what they're doing here and it's visible everyday.

Amazing health benefits, stock options, bonuses based on performance, 401K, very relaxed and cheerful culture. They provide an annual budget for electronics and gear, they also provide standing desks. They help you attend conferences by reimbursing your costs. They will also send you to school if it's justified. TT really cares about the happiness and well-being of every employee. They organize summer outings, parties, and fun events all year around to keep the morale up. They have a game room with video-games, pool-table, pinball, foosball etc.

They have a great kitchen with free bagels, pastries, fruits, beverages and beer on tap.

Cons

The salary is very low compared to most companies of this size. In fact there are many startups in Chicago that offer better salary.

The free snacks are great but they will probably make you obese and unhealthy if you're not careful.

The office space has a very sterile hospital-like feel. They're trying hard to make the space feel more habitable with the plants and green-colored walls and everything, but it is quite far from feeling like home. The "art" on the wall might make you want to stare at the concrete floor instead.

Advice to Management

Please have more healthier snacks. You could offer more fruits which are way more cheaper and healthier than the bagged-snacks full of bad sugars and carcinogens.

"company reeling on past reputation producing unreliable software."

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Few good and knowledgeable folks that truly care about the company are manning their posts. Sadly this may not stick very long.

Cons

CEO, CTO, CFO have good vision but the product and engineering heads, directors are nothing more than morons giving out crappy products with lots of issues. No coordination between different groups, they don't know what they want and how their end product is. Even the earlier stable product line is on the verge of a breakdown.
    Promotions are based on personal relationship with boss' rather than skills and experience, a pure favoritism game. There are some experienced, skilled and knowledgeable employees who deserves to be managing their teams or products but they are side lined and assigned more work while folks who put up working face with no management skills are promoted to managers, specially women in testing team, guys in development and clueless product managers.
    TT adapted a policy of stressing out employees in chicago to leave or laying off employees to hire cheap labor in India. Its time someone file a complaint with department of Labor and the company should be Audited.
    For Marketing team, Stop those crappy and useless marketing posters. If interested, invest in something real creativity.

Advice to Management

Cut the mid management crap, identify and promote the real talent, whatever is left of it. Unify your development, deployment and notify the firms and customers ahead of the impact not after the impact.

Trading Technologies Response

Sep 26, 2017 – CEO

Hey there -- first off, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I’m sorry in this case your experience at TT has not been a great one, but I want to clear a few things up. You know how to get... More

"Good company and amazing people"

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time

Pros

The people are awesome. Although I a few years ago, there are several people that I still keep in touch with to this day and consider life long friends. When I was there you had a lot of freedom to do your job and challenge the status quo. A lot of the leaders were top notch and it seems like people get rewarded for the right reasons. The engineers were some of the best I have seen.

Cons

It sounds like this changed since I left, but there were a lot of re-orgs when I was there and ambiguity. When you work in a startup type of environment this is a given but at the time, this was my first corporate job and I was not mature enough to deal with it.

The industry is consolidating which leads to job dissatisfaction for many people.

"Decent place to work if you're prepared. Not perfect at all. ."

I worked at Trading Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment and you're always able to master something new about the software. Some staff is awesome and helpful, others are the exact opposite. Social young atmosphere.

Cons

Managers playfavorites and Managing Directors are not helpful or supportive. Some old management left on from the "old TT days" that are horrible. At least they were smart enough to get a new EVP, but some of the old culture still exists. Horrible arrogant manager who shouldn't have his position. Very sexist environment. HR is a joke- complaints go directly to managers you have issues with.

Advice to Management

Make sure your managers support their teams or get rid of them. Nobody should be treated with disrespect at work- if you have an issue, speak up so it can be resolved. Get an HR team that takes matters seriously and treat your team with respect.