TranscribeMe Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2021

3.7
TranscribeMe CEO Yuri Pikover
Yuri Pikover
Pros
  • "This is just one of the ways TranscribeMe recognizes, values and rewards its transcribers(in 30 reviews)

• "I can work from home, flexible hours, and even let them know if I'll be unavailable for a few weeks for any reason without any issue(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some of the machine generated work offers low pay and lots of editing(in 22 reviews)

• "Transcribe me is good for an trancriptive(in 22 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Be prepared to work hard to earn your pay.

Jun 9, 2020 - Worker
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to learn. The community is very supportive.

Cons

There aren't many opportunities for team building as the work is all remote.

3 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you so much for your feedback! We really appreciate it. Team-building in person is definitely hard when most of the company works remotely, but we do have the Yammer network where you can interact with other workers and admin personnel. There's always someone there if you have questions or just want to have a chat. If you haven't signed up for Yammer, it's highly recommended you do so, and that way you can get the full experience of our community. Again, thanks for your comments!

2. 3.0

Working for TranscribeMe

Jan 3, 2021 - Freelancer in East Meadow, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work from home - Easy work

Cons

- Not enough jobs for everyone - Constantly waiting for work

Be the first to find this review helpful

Recruitment Coordinator

Hi and thank you for your feedback. Holidays, especially the end-of-year holidays ,are typically slow seasons as many people focus their attention away from work. However, once the holiday season passes it usually picks up again. If you haven't done so yet, try taking the accent exams or joining the First Draft or TME teams. This will open up a wider variety of files that you can work on compared to the general transcription pool that all transcriptionists start out in.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Flex work

Oct 11, 2020 - Transcriptionist in Amsterdam, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great flexibility, Self managed, Ideal for a digital nomad

Cons

Nothing. The flexibility is great

1 person found this review helpful

Recruitment Coordinator

Thanks for your opinion! We appreciate that you took the time to post this review. Thank you!

4. 3.0

Convenient, not enough jobs

Oct 10, 2020 - Transcriptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can work whenever is convenient for you, easy to apply, good support system from other transcriptionists

Cons

Pay is horrible until you get good at it, not enough jobs so even if you want to be working you might not be able to

Recruitment Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. Remember that as a company TM depends on our clients to upload the files they want transcribed. TM has no control over when or how often they do that, so the workload will always be variable. At the beginning you're learning new skills and learning how to follow the style guide correctly on your files, so it's more like paid training. The pay rate increases once you've demonstrated (by taking an passing exams so you can move on to other teams) that you know how to apply the guide correctly and that you have a certain level of accuracy. Some people move on to other teams faster than others. It depends on how much time and effort each individual wants to put into it.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Work from Home Job!!

Nov 14, 2018 - General Transcriptionist in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Okay, I was definitely hesitant about this at first. I have been looking into different side jobs that I can do from my house or from my college campus and I've found a Lot of scams that try to present themselves as real opportunities. I really like doing transcription work and thought I'd give Transcribeme a chance, and they are actually legit! They don't ask for a lot of personal info unless you want to move up in the job (and even then it's just a photo, birth name and DOB). There's not any type of interview process, which is why I was hesitant, but you take two exams: one to qualify for the job and one to prove you understand English grammar and the style of transcribing that they want. Once you pass you can start taking jobs that are usually about 2-4 min long and for the most part it's easy, simple, and fun. Great for when you're bored at school between classes or have some extra free time at home. What really proved to me that this was something legitimate and was also just really helpful, was Yammer, which is the social media platform they use. They'll send you an invite when you're hired and all of the employees of TM are signed up and there are groups you can join to talk to each other about questions you have or just general fun or interesting things. Seeing my actual "coworkers" was really cool and any questions you may have about the job can be answered there.

Cons

Many times when I have free time and want to do some work there won't actually be anything available. You just have to keep refreshing the page and hope to get something. Sometimes that takes a few minutes, but sometimes can be hours or days long. This job is not super steady when doing general transcription because of this. But you can take exams and move up to other positions that give you more work. Also, the pay rate is per audio hour, like a lot of other reviewers said. This can for sure add up, but depending on how slow you are (which you probably will be if you're new. I spent 40 min on a 2 minute audio clip in my first few days), the pay may actually average to around $1 or $2/hour, which is not going to sustain you or your family. I've heard of people making a living out of this but it takes a lot of work and a lot of time.

54 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good for working from home

Sep 3, 2020 - Transcriber in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can work at your own time and how much you like while staying with your parents taking no responsibilities in life.

Cons

They pay very, very low.

CFO

You can work as much or as little as you want/need to on any given day, as long as the minimum of one job a month is met. As for the pay, at the beginning, when you're learning how to apply the style guide and getting used to the platform and how things work, yes, the pay is US$15 per audio hour. TranscribeMe is very upfront with this rate. As you gain more practice and experience you can work towards joining special teams and or projects where the pay rate is higher. Also, how fast and how accurate you are when working will impact how much you earn.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

TranscribeMe is absolutely not a scam!

Sep 12, 2019 - Transcriptionist, Special Teams
      Business Outlook

Pros

I could go on forever about the wonderful atmosphere here, within TranscribeMe! They are some of the most helpful, encouraging, informative, and thoughtful people (employee and admin alike) that I've had the pleasure of working with. I have had many friends, but I've also grown so much as a transcriptionist and a person. I don't have a single negative thing to say about them. They genuinely put every effort into being equally fair to both clients and those working for them. Every concern is listened to and a big part of the company has been built collaboratively. As someone who works here, I can say that the tests absolutely are NOT done by the people here as a means for potential new contractors to do our work for us. That is absurd. TM is one of the most ethical, diverse, and understanding companies for people like me, who are sick, I have had EVER had the pleasure of coming across, and I am thank ful every single day that I had found them when looking for a legitimate and fair company to work for from home so that I could still contribute to my family's household finances. I love these people and that opinion is shared by all of us within the community and company.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I have received nothing but amazing experiences while working here and when things got hard, in my personal life, it was the people of this company who showed me that I can indeed keep going, and here I am. Still kickin'!

15 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros

Professional. Great training. Helpful Support. Community tips. WAH friendly.

Cons

Time limits. Competitive Assignment. QA issues. Poor Audio sometimes. Resource neglect.

9. 3.0

Pay Low

Feb 19, 2020 - Transcriber in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

little extra money and good to develop transciption job

Cons

very low payment for transcribers ! 0.25 dollar per hour it's insufficient !

7 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for your opinion! They pay rate for the general pool, which is where all transcribers start out, is US$15 per audio hour, and it is stated as such prominently on all the information available prior to signup. You'd get paid US$0.25 per hour only if it took you an hour to transcribe one minute of text. Normal industry standards are 4-8 minutes of typing per minute of audio, though it depends on the clarity of the audio and it takes practice to get to those speeds. Once you're in the general pool, it is up to you how slow or how fast you want to advance to other teams and projects with higher pay rates per audio hour, and the pay does increase the further you progress. You can find more information on Yammer or on the help desk's FAQ section about what other opportunities are available.

10. 5.0

Fabulous Work from Home Opportunity

Oct 12, 2017 - Transcriber
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm a stay-at-home parent, and this job is absolutely perfect for me. I get to put my copyediting skills and writing degree to use, and the hours are completely flexible. The admins offer so much positive support and feedback, and I have been able to advance quickly to a position of better pay and wider opportunities. I adore working here. If you're a grammar nerd like me, this is the perfect way to make some side money.

Cons

It's true that there are sometimes lulls in available work during the summer months and over the weekends. However, since I advanced to special teams, that has rarely been a problem for me. It does start slowly as you begin to learn the ropes. Since you are paid for audio hour and not working hour, this has been discouraging to some newbies. I found that the more you work, the faster and more accurate you become, and the more money you will make.

35 people found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 102 Reviews

Popular Careers with TranscribeMe Job Seekers

Transcriptionist/QA
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    First Draft and General Transcriptionist
    Learn About the Job
    Transcriptionist (General and Quick Step)