TranscribeMe Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 14, 2018

3.7
Alexei Dunayev

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home, or anywhere you have reliable internet and the ability to concentrate on your audio" (in 13 reviews)

• "Transcribme crowd workers have very flexible hours" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "20 per Audio Hour, so how much you make depends on how fast you can work" (in 8 reviews)

• "But since the summer time ended the amount of work has been steady and really I've only noticed lulls on holidays" (in 5 reviews)

"Great Work from Home Job!!"

Current Employee - General Transcriptionist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - General Transcriptionist in Portland, OR

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Okay, I was definitely hesitant about this at first. I have been looking into different side jobs that I can do from my house or from my college campus and I've found a Lot of scams that try to present themselves as real opportunities. I really like doing transcription work and thought I'd give Transcribeme a chance, and they are actually legit! They don't ask for a lot of personal info unless you want to move up in the job (and even then it's just a photo, birth name and DOB). There's not any type of interview process, which is why I was hesitant, but you take two exams: one to qualify for the job and one to prove you understand English grammar and the style of transcribing that they want. Once you pass you can start taking jobs that are usually about 2-4 min long and for the most part it's easy, simple, and fun. Great for when you're bored at school between classes or have some extra free time at home.
    What really proved to me that this was something legitimate and was also just really helpful, was Yammer, which is the social media platform they use. They'll send you an invite when you're hired and all of the employees of TM are signed up and there are groups you can join to talk to each other about questions you have or just general fun or interesting things. Seeing my actual "coworkers" was really cool and any questions you may have about the job can be answered there.

Cons

Many times when I have free time and want to do some work there won't actually be anything available. You just have to keep refreshing the page and hope to get something. Sometimes that takes a few minutes, but sometimes can be hours or days long. This job is not super steady when doing general transcription because of this. But you can take exams and move up to other positions that give you more work.
    Also, the pay rate is per audio hour, like a lot of other reviewers said. This can for sure add up, but depending on how slow you are (which you probably will be if you're new. I spent 40 min on a 2 minute audio clip in my first few days), the pay may actually average to around $1 or $2/hour, which is not going to sustain you or your family. I've heard of people making a living out of this but it takes a lot of work and a lot of time.

Advice to Management

I would love for the pay to be per hour. I love this job so far but having a base rate of even $5/hr would make spending 40 minutes on a single file feel a lot better.

"remote"

I worked at TranscribeMe full-time

Pros

remote, work at home, flexible

Cons

not enough work and pay is low

"Transcriptionist"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Front Royal, VA
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Front Royal, VA

I have been working at TranscribeMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great environment, room to grow

Cons

Low pay AT FIRST, need the motivation to get great pay

"Low pay/ Job unavailability"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Glen Ayre, NC
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Glen Ayre, NC

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work at your own pace
    Payment is prompt

Cons

Very low pay ($20/audio hour)
    Jobs don't come in often. You can stay for days without getting a single job to do.
    Most jobs come with a horrible audio quality, which might lead to rejection if you do it.

Advice to Management

Increase pay.
    Improve your adverts/ connections so you get more available jobs

"It is what it is"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

Work at home...great for family

Cons

Do it as you go.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

"Look Before You LEAP!!!!!!!"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

Found a company unashamed or abashed to take total advantage of people.

Cons

I spent 26+ hours of my time on two audios and received $40 in pay. The pay is per AUDIO hour but the specifications they have can easily take you HOURS to complete per file. This basically a bait-and-switch. You receive all English files - if you chose US English - for the Exams. Once approved, that ends. Now you have foreign speakers and extremely poor audio quality. You spend hours of your time trying to figure out what these people are saying and hours online researching terms. And for what? Why, for $1.57 -$1.66 per hour. If you want a job that takes 200% of your effort and time and pays .07 of a viable pay rate, then this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

Pay your transcriptionists per their work hour.

"Great Work From Home Opportunity"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

The TM team is very professional, quite helpful, and extremely encouraging. There is a great online forum where virtually every question can be asked and/or answered. The TM management staff have created a team environment which was VERY helpful to me when I was starting out, learning the ropes. Once you have familiarized yourself with their Style Guide, it's smooth sailing. I've been with TM since January of 2017 and I'm so glad that I took the chance. The pay is decent and you're in control of how much or how little time you put in. Opportunities for advancement to higher pay rates are also readily available.

Compared to some other transcription services with which I've worked, TM is TOP-NOTCH. I'm sticking with this one!!

Cons

I have no complaints. If you're not successful, it's not because they haven't given you the tools to do so.

"Fabulous Work from Home Opportunity"

Current Employee - Transcriber
    Current Employee - Transcriber

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a stay-at-home parent, and this job is absolutely perfect for me. I get to put my copyediting skills and writing degree to use, and the hours are completely flexible. The admins offer so much positive support and feedback, and I have been able to advance quickly to a position of better pay and wider opportunities. I adore working here. If you're a grammar nerd like me, this is the perfect way to make some side money.

Cons

It's true that there are sometimes lulls in available work during the summer months and over the weekends. However, since I advanced to special teams, that has rarely been a problem for me.
    It does start slowly as you begin to learn the ropes. Since you are paid for audio hour and not working hour, this has been discouraging to some newbies. I found that the more you work, the faster and more accurate you become, and the more money you will make.

"TranscribeMe"

Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Griffin, GA
    Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Griffin, GA

I worked at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only 2 exams that you have to pass

Cons

Very picky about format and have to make perfect scores on exams

Advice to Management

80% should be good enough to join

"Transcription"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Very professional, pay is good, and the people are very helpful and there is always somewhere go to get answers. I think this is an A+ company in the transcription field.

Cons

Strict reviewing of work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!