TranscribeMe Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Alexei Dunayev

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home, or anywhere you have reliable internet and the ability to concentrate on your audio" (in 12 reviews)

• "Transcribme crowd workers have very flexible hours" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "20 per Audio Hour, so how much you make depends on how fast you can work" (in 8 reviews)

• "But since the summer time ended the amount of work has been steady and really I've only noticed lulls on holidays" (in 5 reviews)

"remote"

I worked at TranscribeMe full-time

Pros

remote, work at home, flexible

Cons

not enough work and pay is low

"Low pay/ Job unavailability"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Glen Ayre, NC
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Glen Ayre, NC

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work at your own pace
    Payment is prompt

Cons

Very low pay ($20/audio hour)
    Jobs don't come in often. You can stay for days without getting a single job to do.
    Most jobs come with a horrible audio quality, which might lead to rejection if you do it.

Advice to Management

Increase pay.
    Improve your adverts/ connections so you get more available jobs

"Transcriptionist"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Front Royal, VA
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Front Royal, VA

I have been working at TranscribeMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great environment, room to grow

Cons

Low pay AT FIRST, need the motivation to get great pay

"It is what it is"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

Work at home...great for family

Cons

Do it as you go.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

"Look Before You LEAP!!!!!!!"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

Found a company unashamed or abashed to take total advantage of people.

Cons

I spent 26+ hours of my time on two audios and received $40 in pay. The pay is per AUDIO hour but the specifications they have can easily take you HOURS to complete per file. This basically a bait-and-switch. You receive all English files - if you chose US English - for the Exams. Once approved, that ends. Now you have foreign speakers and extremely poor audio quality. You spend hours of your time trying to figure out what these people are saying and hours online researching terms. And for what? Why, for $1.57 -$1.66 per hour. If you want a job that takes 200% of your effort and time and pays .07 of a viable pay rate, then this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

Pay your transcriptionists per their work hour.

"Great Work From Home Opportunity"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

The TM team is very professional, quite helpful, and extremely encouraging. There is a great online forum where virtually every question can be asked and/or answered. The TM management staff have created a team environment which was VERY helpful to me when I was starting out, learning the ropes. Once you have familiarized yourself with their Style Guide, it's smooth sailing. I've been with TM since January of 2017 and I'm so glad that I took the chance. The pay is decent and you're in control of how much or how little time you put in. Opportunities for advancement to higher pay rates are also readily available.

Compared to some other transcription services with which I've worked, TM is TOP-NOTCH. I'm sticking with this one!!

Cons

I have no complaints. If you're not successful, it's not because they haven't given you the tools to do so.

"Fabulous Work from Home Opportunity"

Current Employee - Transcriber
    Current Employee - Transcriber

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a stay-at-home parent, and this job is absolutely perfect for me. I get to put my copyediting skills and writing degree to use, and the hours are completely flexible. The admins offer so much positive support and feedback, and I have been able to advance quickly to a position of better pay and wider opportunities. I adore working here. If you're a grammar nerd like me, this is the perfect way to make some side money.

Cons

It's true that there are sometimes lulls in available work during the summer months and over the weekends. However, since I advanced to special teams, that has rarely been a problem for me.
    It does start slowly as you begin to learn the ropes. Since you are paid for audio hour and not working hour, this has been discouraging to some newbies. I found that the more you work, the faster and more accurate you become, and the more money you will make.

"TranscribeMe"

Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Griffin, GA
    Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Griffin, GA

I worked at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only 2 exams that you have to pass

Cons

Very picky about format and have to make perfect scores on exams

Advice to Management

80% should be good enough to join

"Transcription"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Very professional, pay is good, and the people are very helpful and there is always somewhere go to get answers. I think this is an A+ company in the transcription field.

Cons

Strict reviewing of work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great For a Mom with a Family"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

TranscribeMe has been instructive and helpful since the beginning. Using the Yammer forums really helped me gain insight and education about the transcription world.
    I work full time as a scientist and was needing something that I could do whenever I had some time because I'm always on-call. I was just needing some extra pocket money. I never considered myself a great typist, but average. After watching the videos and taking the tests I felt it was something I could handle.
    I joined one other transcription company at the same time as TranscribeMe, and if it's any sign as to how welcoming and helpful TranscribeMe is; the other company fired me months ago because their criteria were almost unattainable. And they didn't offer any usable feedback to get better.
    TranscribeMe also has better audio files than the other company, way less feedback and fewer files that have multiple speakers.
    I started in July with the exams and was getting a few files a week for about a month. After about a month and a half one of the special teams reached out to me and since I've joined them I've been invited to other special teams. Now I can get all the files I need and I get paid different rates for the files. It's now the middle of October and I just passed my QA exam so I will start that adventure next. I probably could have gotten there sooner because I had more than enough logged hours, but I wanted to feel confident in my abilities as a Transcriber before testing for QA.
    The company has never made me feel inadequate even for files that I felt were poor. They are supportive and the Yammer communities are familial in nature.
    I look forward to doing this after a long day at work because it's something different. I also feel like my grammar and sentax are better than they used to be!

Cons

What I've noticed is there are lulls in the amount of work available. But since the summer time ended the amount of work has been steady and really I've only noticed lulls on holidays. Joining special teams has made the lack of work almost non-existent.

Yeah, the pay isn't great just starting out, but getting more and more files under your belt gives you more experience and you get faster over time. I've read that some stay-at-home parents are earning enough to support themselves by doing this, but I'm not at that level yet. This was always meant to be extra money in my pocket so however much I want to earn I can.