TriCore Reference Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Michael Crossey, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No raises, high turnover in upper management (CEO, CFO, etc), employees are valued for their time with the company, not how hard they work" (in 5 reviews)

• "Senior leaders always seem to be behind closed doors" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Admin"

I have been working at TriCore Reference Laboratories full-time

Pros

new ideas and improved culture - exciting place to be

Cons

Healthcare is difficult with uncertain future

Advice to Management

stick with it

"Defender of Health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at TriCore Reference Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our contribution to healthcare in the region. Top notch lab.

Cons

Employees are allowed to treat anyone and everyone with utter unprofessionalism and hostility. This is true in projects, meetings, email, phone or in person. Once reported which we are encouraged to do, it's swept under the rug.

Advice to Management

The old toxic culture is cultivating. Do something about it

3. "Good entry level work"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at TriCore Reference Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work day is always different and my coworkers were well-trained and respectful. Supervisor feedback during monthly meetings was helpful and genuine. The benefits are also very convenient.

Cons

Pay raises are nonexistent, so it's hard to grow into a livable wage.

"Executive destruction"

I have been working at TriCore Reference Laboratories full-time

Pros

Good people, challenging work, new horizons and goals beyond those of a normal clinical lab

Cons

We have all been following a strategy and vision laid by a visionary and cohesive executive team that was suddenly and inexplicably fired by the board. Now it is back to old business ways. The culture is returning from one of hope to one of fear and distrust.

Advice to Management

We don’t know who to trust and whether our jobs are stable. We need to have some stability at the top.

"TLA"

I have been working at TriCore Reference Laboratories (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits if you can afford them. Generous time off.

Cons

Not paid appropriately for the work you are expected to perform. TriCore pays about 26% less than the average for the job titles they employ. Extremely understaffed, with a high turnover rate. Over the last several months most of the top executives have quit. The remaining management announced they were cutting costs by cutting all merit raises this year and by eliminating the employee survey, which is the only anonymous way to give feedback about the company. Now they use a system that has you sit face to face with your supervisor. Most people are too afraid of losing their jobs to give feedback in that situation. But it seems like that is the position the company wants you in; afraid to talk back.

Advice to Management

Good luck, you've managed to demoralize and degrade your staff. You have a high turnover rate that will probably get worse. Executives put on a good show, but that is all it is, a show.

"A shiny turd"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Technician I in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Technician I in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

They encourage employees to live a healthy lifestyle

Cons

No raises, high turnover in upper management (CEO, CFO, etc), employees are valued for their time with the company, not how hard they work. Even though we do ~80% of all medical testing in the state they still had a 3.5 million dollar deficit last year. The company is chronically mismanaged and it seems like it grew faster than they were capable of handling.

Advice to Management

Even if there is not much you can do to help a situation, do not tell your employees there is nothing you can do for them.

"Could be great"

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at TriCore Reference Laboratories part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive if you have a degree and national certification in your specialized area

Cons

Unable to use your skills as this lab is monitored by computer applications from the main lab. Mostly just a button pusher.

Advice to Management

None

"TriCore facing lots of challenges now...especially with senior leadership."

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at TriCore Reference Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a healthcare lab, we are helping people and (usually) that comes first. Coworkers are amazing under stressful conditions and usually have good team spirit. Most people are here to help people and care for them in spite of low pay and leadership challenges.

Cons

C-Suite is in disarray, CIO left 9 months and wasn’t replaced, CEO “resigned”, senior leaders are very reluctant to make the tough decisions. Integration of acquired company 3 years ago has been a disaster financially and culturally.

Advice to Management

Start Org Health surveys again, allow employees to provide anonymous feedback to managers and leadership, seek the truth from employees at lower levels instead of relying on sanitized truth from managers. Stop wasting money trying to become a software company and stay focused on the laboratory business.

"The Working Environment I've Ever Been In"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at TriCore Reference Laboratories part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro, is that they have a broad range of position available.

Cons

Low pay, mediocre benefits, poor technical infrastructure, poor project management.

Advice to Management

Perfect the current line of business before spreading resources too thin to effectively carry out necessary services. Consult, and regard input from the operations side of processes BEFORE implementing something new.

"Used to be a great local lab."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Sometimes you still find pockets in Tricore that give you that "we are a local, not for profit, lab" feel. Many great people throughout Tricore. Working with patients gives you real purpose to your job.

Cons

Very poor management, company has made bad financial decisions and is too top heavy. If you are a phlebotomist, expect very poor training and not being valued by the company. All focus is given to analytical staff.

Advice to Management

Communicate, value the little guy and provide more quality, standardized training to your front end staff.