Tuition Management Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Daniel Meyers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Education Advisor"

I have been working at Tuition Management Systems part-time

Pros

great staff, equal oppertunity for everyone, you can move up in the job if you're serious

Cons

some of the callers are very rude

2. "Great work-life balance and culture"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Tuition Management Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The IT department of TMS highly respects work-life balance for its employees by offering flexible work hours (while still making yourself available during main business hours) and arrangements to work from home when necessary (for appointments, childcare, inclement weather, etc.). TMS itself places high value on the well-being of its employees, as well. The people create a welcoming atmosphere and have launched a few initiatives towards employee wellness and community—currently, we have a group growing herbs and vegetables in the break room to later disseminate to workers on site, we have a Wellness Wednesday where wellness tips are emailed company-wide and fresh fruit is provided in the break room, and we also have periodic events geared towards career-building and just plain having fun with your coworkers (like the occasional silly competitions and air hockey tournament).

As far as the work culture, people in IT are respectful, professional, warm, and funny. Also, there's something to be said about the colorful diversity of our group and how well we all get along. As far as worker satisfaction, I can only attest to my personal experience, but I know I've seen myself and others be recognized and praised by management for a job well done. I feel immensely supported and driven to succeed and greatly enjoy working and interacting with people on this team on a daily basis. This has been a wonderful place to learn and grow, everyone is extremely helpful. They say you should work at a job which makes you happy, and I believe I have found that here. On a board in the hallway, we have a display of names of employees who have worked at TMS for 5, 10, and even 20 years! It's a well-populated list. Employee retention at this rate is so rare these days, and these people's track records can only be evident that TMS must be doing something right.

Cons

TMS has recently gone private, and there are some shifts occuring in the company. Unfortunately, there is a salary freeze in place for the next year or so until things stabilize.

3. "Education Payment Advisor"

Former Employee - Education Payment Advisor in Warwick, RI

I worked at Tuition Management Systems part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked part time at TMS during the summer and fall semester of my junior year of college. There is a lot to learn but once you get the general idea of how to set up a payment plan and process a payment you can become proficient. Management is always walking around the call floor so if you are unsure of how to handle a call its easy to find help.

Cons

If a customer isn't calling to make a payment or set up a plan they are usually disgruntled. If you have a temper this is not the job for you, a lot of callers will be rude. There is not much down time between making calls. If you work an 8 hour day you get two 15 minute breaks and 30 mins for lunch which are subtracted from your pay.

4. "Application Developer"

I have been working at Tuition Management Systems full-time

Pros

Great environment, great team, lots of collaboration, plenty of room for growth

Cons

A bit more guidance by architecture group

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Tuition Management Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very willing to onboard a tech professional that has not worked in the financial sector before.

Cons

Worst prepared company to onboard a new employee I've ever seen. It took over a month to get a laptop that worked, and an additional month to get access to all the systems and servers I needed. My job description changed three times in about a year. They had litterally no training itinerary, as it was part of their culture. They train you by "throwing you to the wolves"... their words. Also, they had almost no recorded SOP, and what they did have was years out of date.

Advice to Management

Get your business together from the back end and support, so that your employees don't constantly feel the pressure to support code that no one knows and those that did quit a decade ago. Get an onboarding process together for those outside of the call center. Shameful.

6. "Application Developer Intern"

Current Employee - Applications Developer Intern in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Intern in Providence, RI

I have been working at Tuition Management Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are very helpful. They are there always whenever needed.

Cons

Everything is well-organized for a new hire to learn and get used with the environment. There are no downside.

"FULL TIME IT"

Former Employee - FULL TIME IT STAFF in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - FULL TIME IT STAFF in Warwick, RI

I worked at Tuition Management Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They bring in breakfast on mondays and have a decent break room. They keep the call center employees as happy as they can since it is a thankless and mind-numbing job compared to many other interesting parts of the company.

Cons

Management is an "old boys club" where you get promoted if you've been around long enough and just constantly put up with company changes, job description changes, lack of raises, cyclical layoffs, and even worse the further up you go (crazy gossipy/clicky culture like highschool). Basically, an endurance trial. No real training outside of the callcenter, you learn in the job and must ask everything. No one will offer up help. No one will tell you that you did a great job by management because they are all overwhelmed for the roles they have. They just don't have time to manage properly. Did I mention poor management?

Advice to Management

Have a clear SOP for every job role, clear expectations before hiring, treat men just as well as the women in the office are treated, and be a LOT more professional if you want to be taken seriously.

8. "Education Payment Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI

I worked at Tuition Management Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people who train you well

Cons

Call-center environment, high-volume of calls

Advice to Management

Implement more hands-on training rather than just a classroom setting

9. "Education Payment Advisor"

Former Employee - Education Payment Advisor in Warwick, RI

I worked at Tuition Management Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, enjoyable work environment. Employees are rewarded based on performance on a monthly basis. Flexible hours, management and supervisors are extremely helpful.

Cons

Slightly understaffed in busy season. TMS was a great experience my only real complaint is the office is always extremely cold!

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a great job I would just recommend having hiring more temporary call center reps during the busy season to meet customer demand

"Contact Management"

Former Employee - Education Payment Advisor in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Education Payment Advisor in Providence, RI

I worked at Tuition Management Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Parent Company FMD is organized pretty well
    Monday lunches in summer (sick of pizza get some salad so your employees don't get heart conditions)

Cons

Becoming permanent takes years and the raise received when becoming permanent is a measly dollar. Permanent employees in the call center have not gotten raises in over 5 years and are not valued. There is no career path or opportunity to move up unless there is an opening in another department and management in the call center will convince the other department not to hire you because they need people. The software is a joke as well as the IT department. The system is down several times a week which causes angry customers. The customers are very rude and their word is always taken over the representative. Management is the biggest problem. They pick on certain people, usually those who have gone on medical or stress leave and make it unbearable for them to come back to work in a calm environment. Changing one's schedule for family or education reasons is almost impossible unless you are related or friends with management. If one does not do lots of overtime because they have a life outside of work they are singled out and treated horribly.

Advice to Management

New call center management needed immediately. Employees are treated as less than human and expected to be perfect. Your employees are people and deserve to be treated as such.