TutorWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Tutor and Technology Specialist"

Former Employee - Student - Mechanical Engineering in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Student - Mechanical Engineering in Tampa, FL

I worked at TutorWorks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting and friendly work environment.

Cons

Work could be slow at times.

2. "Student Recruiter"

Former Employee - Student Recruiter in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Student Recruiter in Richmond, CA

I worked at TutorWorks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and manager were nice and cool.

Cons

Standing in the sun trying to recruit students after school.

3. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Not much work. It's fun to be around kids.

Cons

They pay us very less as compared to the amount of work that has to be done.

5. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at TutorWorks (Less than a year)

Pros

Great if you love working with kids.

Cons

Management is unorganized and very unstructured.

6. ""Waste of Federal and State Funds""

Former Employee - Administrative in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Burlingame, CA

Pros

They train staff well to recruit new families into the program, probably the longest and most productive training I attended during my time with them.

Few individuals from management team really did care for the students and their education.

Cons

More money was spent on hiring great student recruiters but when it came to hiring tutors they pretty much just liked to fill bodies. Tutors were not prepared well to tutor children, especially not while tutoring under the staff to student ratio. This is something that the managers had no control of as they received direct instruction from higher ends to start programs without being fully prepared.

Misrepresentation of tutoring effectiveness-many parents can petition on this one! A 12 hour program is not going to give students an academic push.

Underpaid employees-asked to work various sites at far distances and not willing to reimburse enough to cover the costs. A lot of work as a Scholastic Instructor yet not enough time granted.

Communication from higher management is terrible! Policies are set at owner's benefit changing at any time without previous notice-no communication of changes unless they are questioned.

HR is a mess-to start off it is located in the East coast making it impossible to get a hold of anyone. If you have issues with pay good luck trying to get it resolved in a timely manner.

The biggest CON affects the children-TECHNOLOGY. This program is a technology based program. They use a software that was built by their own staff however there are way too many glitches taking time away from tutoring. As a tutor not only were you asked to tutor the students but also troubleshoot their own technology problems. They promised to fix the software but it seems that the promise will never be delivered.

Advice to Management

Focus on building an actual tutoring program that will benefit the kids, that will get you the big bucks.

Get rid of Explode the Code! Or spend some bucks and hire actual professionals to make it work.

Put the State and Federal money that you took back into building a program that is what you are promising families when you are having them sign up for your service. Not other business ventures.

Lastly, appreciate staff that have committed to help students.

7. "This company does not care about these children...AT ALL."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Stockton, CA

I have been working at TutorWorks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The children get to keep the Nooks/Laptops at the end of the program.
    - Decent pay

Cons

- No communication between staff and management
    - Uses inconvenient Paychex system
    - Useless curriculum
    - Switched to nooks from laptops to cut costs, but the nooks are constantly freezing in the middle of lessons
    - Supervisors expect you to jump when they say jump
    - Micromanagement
    - Supervisors make you feel inferior if you don't do things there way
    - One tutor assigned to 6 children of different grade levels, making it difficult to assist them in the way they need
    - Hiring process doesn't make sense (One of my co-workers couldn't do basic math)
    - EXTREMELY understaffed
    - No training AT ALL...we were basically just thrown to the wolves
    - Children are constantly bored
    - Curriculum too difficult for upper levels, but too easy for lower levels.

Advice to Management

It's really unfortunate that the first priority is making money, and the second is hopefully impacting these children. Its been nothing but disorganization and chaos ever since i've started. Learn how to communicate with staff! There is no reason why staff should be confused on who to report to, because management failed to communicate that our supervisor was fired. Things started off great...but eventually fell off.

THIS COMPANY IS MERELY CAPITALIZING OFF OF THESE CHILDREN'S WEAKNESSES. We are understaffed, some of my coworkers are highly under qualified, they are having these kids sign off on days they have not completed yet, but somehow I'm suppose to be convinced that this company cares about these students? I'm not even an education major, but I took this job because i've been tutoring for about four years now, and there is no greater joy than seeing these kids gain confidence in school. So if i'm out here holding out my end of the bargain, why cant I get the support I need from upper management?

In the end it became less about the students, and more about hurrying to complete paperwork and hours so that the company can get paid...and push these students right out the door. So my biggest piece of advice to management? ...Stop faking like you care, because these parents/students believe you want to help. If these parents are going out of there way to provide assistance to their child, then they deserve the best. TutorWorks IS NOT the best.

8. "Needs Organization"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at TutorWorks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping k-12 graders succeed on Standardized Tests enhance their study skills
    Great demand for tutoring services offered

Cons

Low pay
    Low Morale
    Very unorganized
    Management treats you like crap! *honestly
    Nepotism among PT/FT workers

Advice to Management

Too much work for too little money! Up the pay and promote company events where all employees can be involved and feel appreciated!

"It's fulfilling, like any other tutoring job would be."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Pros

Not a boring day to day type of job, every day is different. Good communication between coworkers and supervisors. Organized meetings and events.

Cons

Sometimes school sites can be very understaffed due to academic coaches that cannot be counted on. Recruiting probably needs some improvement.

Advice to Management

Some supervisors are amazing, while others lack organization. Making sure that your supervisors are properly trained can probably greatly benefit the company.

10. "previous employee for Tutorworks"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

good team work, students are funny sometimes.

Cons

high staff turnover rate
    company financial, HR staff were really mess up

Advice to Management

hired someone who know how to do math well. make their promise come true instead of giving void promise.

11. "Fun"

Pros

I really loved meeting people

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

Nothing