Ty Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
H. Ty Warner

1. "good"

Pros

i love ty. keep up the good work

Cons

there are no cons to this

"account executive"

I worked at Ty full-time

Pros

cute and well made product with great brand recognition, variety of accounts to sell to, product is priced well and sells well

Cons

no pay for training, very little time to work with customers or set appointments, structure is very difficult and stressful to call on 8 required accounts a day, very impatient trainer who is overworked and stressed and insulting, sarcastic and rude...taking pictures and stressing over getting to several accounts in a day takes precedence over doing a good job and establishing relationships with accounts...

Advice to Management

be patient and not rude and insulting of new sales people learning your system, be open minded to new ideas and different ways of approaching an account or a situation, look at all of the talented managers and sales people that have left...and continue to leave your organization...several employees have left due to micro managing and constant monitoring of sales people.

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cute plush when they have in stock

Cons

product always out of stock, poor management with high turn over in management , more than 1/2 expenses will come out of your won pocket, , pay is minimum wage as commission no longer due to them losing so much space & poor management can't seam to work with buyers to recapture that space back so stuck at a bit better than minimum wag and management does not care.

Advice to Management

Management expect their employees to pay for too much of the expenses we encounter. Pay more of their expenses there are much better companies to work for and at the rate your folks are leaving you have to see that.

"Territory Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Westmont, IL

I worked at Ty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product recognition, Child friendly, Easily recognized. Quality of product that stands behind the name TY. Child safety tests adhered to. New product introduction biannually.

Cons

Poorly managed. Communications with corporate office and sales force weak. Owner micromanages at all hours of the night. Owner and management was not interested in sales growth or shipping, The most important part of management was to see pictures of displays and what time pictures came in. The management team never wanted sales managers to do other required work just take pictures and place displays.

Advice to Management

Restructure and get Ty Warner away from Micromanaging. Let the sales force and corporate office run the company. I increased sales and shipping more than 28% in 9 months and they let me go because my server wasn't sending in my pictures in on their network. This company paid on commission only. If you don't ship goods you don't get paid. I was never paid the 20% on any new accounts. Why would a sales person take a risk on themselves to be paid on straight commission if they didn't plan on working. Obviously the owner wasn't as ethical or honest in his past sales to have such a distrust of his whole sales team

6. "Benefits"

Pros

Benefits great and insurance help alot

Cons

Work pay and hours are struggle

7. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Ty (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, independent Account Management position

Cons

Mileage reimbursement not sufficient for travel expenses to successfully perform job

8. "Account Executive"

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, but that was always subject to change.

Cons

Horribly unorganized company. You never knew what to expect day to day. What was implied to you in your contract could change at the drop of a hat, without any notice. Never met my boss and he would talk over you and not listen to your concerns. Reimbursement for mileage is extremely low. Straight commission. Territories were always changing, and when questioned about it, management could never provide an adequate answer.

Advice to Management

Learn to speak to your employees politely. Answer questions. Motivate them and be positive.

"DO NOT WORK FOR TY!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Nice products to sell and nice customers to sell too

Cons

no management support, unrealistic pay $9.61..really? No incentive programs even though told we would make more money. I lost money in the last three years as Ty took away every opportunity to make money. No trust in employees, no opportunity for advancement, was told not to prospect new customers. You would better of in fast food

Advice to Management

SELL SELL SELL Ty Warner is a cheap man, he is untrusting(tax scam), and cares for nobody who works for him. All of you at corporate get out now the boat is sinking fast.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Territory Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Territory Representative in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Enjoyed working independently until the micromanaging started. Good product
    New product introduction each month

Cons

Where do I start? At first my territory did well because I introduced beanies into the grocery store chains. Once I started to make too much $ they started to change quotas, play mental games, micro manage and then the management team starting selling unwanted product over my head into my store accounts without my permission and knowledge. DO NOT BELIEVE the potential the territory can generate. Smoke & Mirrors. Rep turnover is unbelievable. It's too bad because they have good product but wayyyyyy to many puppets at the management level. Everyone is scared of the owner - if you question him, he'll fire you on the spot. The owner is stuck in the 90's and needs the reps to run their business the way they know how. If your a YES person then this job is for you. If you want to get phone calls and unrealistic demands at all hours of the days/holidays then this jobs for you. This place/job was a headache, stress and unbelievable miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice because they'll do whatever TY wants them to do. Maybe, get a new job because I know TY pays well for managers (suckers) but trust me when you quit and find a new job your life is less stressful and your much happier.

"account manager"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Ty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great quality products
    Brand recognition

Cons

owner micromanages every single employee
    owner thinks sales people steeling from him so pays less and less
    owner has reps check in every min of day on a phone app with pictures
    owner wont pay ANY fees for sales reps to attend shows and if a regional show is in town and reps want to participate they must pay for entire show on their own and owner invoices them for products to put on display.
    Owner is worth 2.3 Billion so he clearly could afford to by reps a lunch or provide free samples for a show in which he rakes in several hundred thousands in orders.

Advice to Management

Owner needs to hire a real proven Sales Manager to hire new team and run sales team with owners interference!! Invest in his people in order to retain top sales team, make realistic sales goal and then actually pay bonuses and sales reps expenses.