UCLA Reviews

Updated Jun 14, 2021

4.4
UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block
Pros
  • "great benefits for employees at current time(in 134 reviews)

• "Great work environment with good people(in 132 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It is really expensive for graduate students(in 41 reviews)

• "Standing for long hours (over 5 hours)(in 40 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of UCLA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great for students

Jun 13, 2021 - Lab Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well for part-time jobs Very understanding of student's schedules

Cons

Can be competitive to get a job

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Does UCLA truly embrace EEOC hiring guidelines?

Jun 7, 2021 - Development Officer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

(Some) talented and diligent department work colleagues. The professors. The alums.

Cons

I invite readers of these Glassdoor reviews to access the websites of UCLA colleges and their development (i.e., fundraising) departments. "Surface" the names and job titles of the fundraisers. (You might even get head shots.) Then ask yourself: do you see gender parity among their fundraisers? The fundraisers skew heavily female. In a contemporary workplace world of college graduates that is closer to a 50:50 gender ratio. Next, look up their Linkedin profiles. Access their educational attainment. Do you see a diversity of colleges and universities as their alma maters? No. UCLA disproportionately hires its own alums into their development departments. Where's the EEOC hiring diversity? The lack of hiring discrimination? "Alums hire alums." As a consequence, fresh thinking and new ideas and new practices never germinate. Groupthink and mediocrity are allowed to grow like kudzu.

Continue reading
    3. 1.0

Horrible bureaucracy

Jun 14, 2021 - Events Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not really any outside of name recognition on your resume.

Cons

As an administrative position, you constantly feel like you're working in quicksand. HR doesn't care about you and the system is just too big to function well within. Most people within the school I worked in were miserable and I've formed lasting friendships based in the collective trauma we experienced working there. Experiences could be different based on which school you work at vs working for central UCLA, but it doesn't change the fact that you just feel like a cog in the machine. One of the worst places I've ever worked.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company does not value employees.

Jun 11, 2021 - Administrative Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule and doesn't require a lot of brain work.

Cons

Very disorganized, low pay, company does not value employees and work life balance. During COVID, we didn't get a merit raise and no one knew why until we found out a year later that the University had a salary freeze. During this time, the vice Chancellor did not take even a second to explain to us about the salary freeze, better yet, she never even brought it up. She stayed quiet the whole year and till this day still did not explain to us why we didn't get our merit raise the previous year. She's a terrible leader. When the pandemic first hit, she only looked out for herself. She had started working from home a few days prior to lockdown but didn't let anyone in the office know that she was working from home nor did she allow the whole department to work from home. It was only until the City announced that anyone 65+ had to stay home because they are high risk for COVID. She then sent our Director home because she was 65 at the time and was retiring that June. The Vice Chancellor also does not care about her employee at all. She pretended to care by giving us a survey to ask if we prefer to work from home or not and the results came back with 90%+ employees prefer work from home 100%. However, the Vice Chancellor was super upset that they surveys didn't have the outcome she wanted because majority of us prefer work from home because she wants to go back to office. Right now she's working on pulling us all back in office knowing full well we prefer to work from home, so i'm not sure why she even offered that survey. Some other UC's have implemented permanent work from home so i'm not sure why UCLA has such a hard time allowing that as well. Our Vice Chancellor know full well that a lot of us have to commute 4+ hours a day just to get to work which is why we prefer work from home but she gives zero care. Overall, I just don't think they care about their employees at all and they don't pay well and there's no room to grow here at UCLA.

Continue reading
    5. 5.0

good place to work

Jun 13, 2021 - Medical Doctor in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

good place to work every

Cons

not much cons as such

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good

Jun 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- allows flexibility for your student schedule

Cons

- no cons at the moment for the role

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to do research

Jun 12, 2021 - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great dining hall, Great environment.

Cons

Not so much cons in my mind

8. 5.0

Great environment to grow

Jun 1, 2021 - Research Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

During my time at UCLA, my superiors have given me the space to learn and grow. I had the opportunity to go in with my current skill set while expanding my research skills in a collaborative environment.

Cons

I can't think of a downside. I am a Bruin and chose to stay stick with UCLA after graduation. It has been the best opportunity i've had.

9. 5.0

Peds Resident

Jun 10, 2021 - Pediatric Dental Resident in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

great opportunities for growth at UCLA

Cons

you have to pay for your own parking

10. 5.0

Great

Jun 9, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tuition discount, Great team, Good dining hall food

Cons

Schedule, salary, no overtime, responsibilities out of job description

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,015 Reviews