UCLA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at UCLA

2.6

Sort:

Peer Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UCLA.

Interview

Very straightforward. First round interview was behavioral (why do you want this job, what's a defining leadership experience, etc.) Second round interview was to work with a team to create a presentation that would be given to a hypothetical group of students. That was a bit tough, because you want to stand out but not be too dominant.

Peer Mentor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Management was prompt and accurate with notifications via email and phone calls. I received both to schedule an interview for the next week. I was given a few days and times to choose from, which was nice since I had to mind my class times. The interview was not one on one, rather a group interview. I found it to be casual and not intimidating. The questions were broad and open to interpretation, but not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• The only surprising aspect of the interview was when the applicants had to work together for a role playing exercise. I'm assuming that the goal was to test adaptability, team work, and leadership.   1 Answer

Parking Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very simple. They mainly hire student workers. They ask about your work experience and how you react under pressure, and how you deal with difficult costumers. The ask about you availability. Based on your school schedule, they will either place you in the morning shift or afternoon.

Ph D Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2008.

Interview

My advisor in at OUHSC setup an interview for me with a mentor / collaborator at UCLA. I was pretty much in as long as I wasn't a terrible person

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations, it's indentured servitude

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had an in-person interview with 2 people. It lasted about half an hour. Pretty much all of the questions were behavioral ones. The next step was a coding data test. I completed the test and sent it in, but I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know what kind of quantifiable research I'd done in the past.   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online for a Policy Analyst position with World Policy Analysis Center. I received an email about a month later to schedule a phone or in-person email (nice to have the choice). I elected for an in-person and met with 3 team members at once. The interview was extremely dry, and all three seemed very intent on being as formal and serious as possible, even much more so than other interviews I've had in fields like management consulting. Most of the questions were about my experience with both qualitative and quantitative research, my experience using different statistical packages, my comfortability with writing and policy analysis etc., as well as questions about my language expertise. Some of the questions did not make sense to me, and they didn't seem to want to explain when I asked, but i believe some of them lacked experience interviewing.

After a few issues with communication, which they were very patient over, they sent me a timed assignment to complete at home. The work was fair and probably very similar to the job itself. I felt that I had done a decent if imperfect job, but I never received any feedback. I continued to contact the office for updates weekly, but I received a rejection email 2 months after the process began. As I usually do, I emailed back just to ask why I had been passed over, simply to help me in my job search, but they never responded (it's usually 50:50 anyway). While the process was extremely long and lacked transparency, that is probably to be expected at a large university, and the coordinator was always good at getting back to my calls and emails.

Interview Questions

• Explain the methodologies that you have used in your research.   Answer Question

Assistant Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Straightforward hiring process. Made contact with professor of similar skill and expertise, developed a relationship and communication channel with that person. Hiring process took extra long due to travel requirements of the various parties involved. Once in the door, many other researchers have made themselves available to develop personal and professional relationships, and other opportunities have arisen. It is a very fast-paced and output-based academic community. Excellent place to nurture a growing academic career, to make new connections, and to seek funding for your own projects and ideas.

Assistant Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

The interview process began with a short phone interview. This consisted of basic skill and qualification questions. The interviewer also asked about general areas of personal interest and gave a brief overview of the type of work the position entailed and what to expect in terms of the work schedule.
    The next interview was in person and more in depth.
    The entire interview process was a positive one. Most of the questions were fairly standard but necessary. There were some personality and cultural "fit" questions peppered in as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when it was difficult for you to admit you did not know something and ask for help. Would you have done anything differently?   Answer Question

Assistant Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Grueling: two interviews with 3-5 psychologists or doctors each time. Some of them were very nice and the interview questions were appropriate and thoughtful. Others were disrespectful and rude. Overall, it left a very distasteful feeling for me. I did get called back for a second interview, but never went for the background check because I decided I didn't want to work for a hunch of pretentious people lacking compassion. Ironically, they told me I was the runner up for the position.

Interview Questions

• Many, many questions. One question was why I had about a four month gap in work history. I answered the question honestly- that I had lost a pregnancy in my second trimester and needed time to recover. Interviewer did not like that answer. Also, they expected me to work long hours and required a master's, but then seemed put off that I didn't want a PhD.   1 Answer

Interview

Asked the professor for a position after taking the class. He gave me the job starting the next quarter after I finished his class and I spent a while working with the post-doc student on various projects.You do have to already be a student at UCLA for it to work