Universal Laser Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Yefim Sukhman

"Generally a Good Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting projects
    Casual work environment
    Opportunity to use laser engravers in personal time.

Cons

Insufficient feedback on performance
    Variable pay for 1 check per month, can be lower than expected
    Software not a priority

Advice to Management

Continue the move to a more formal methodology.
    Development should be more incremental and less "all at once"
    Sometimes it's better to buy a technology then develop it in-house.

2. "Don't bother"

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Universal is a place to get your foot in the door but most people leave within 1-2yrs. If you really need a job this is the place to go as they are constantly hiring due to high turnover.

Cons

Universal typically doesn't hire from within. Nor do they promote workers even if they are high achievers. Management tends to micromanage their best workers while allowing other people to completely slack off. For example, they would consistently get on certain ppl with upper level positions to be on time and chastise them for being 2 minutes late to their desks. All the while, coworkers in lower level positions could come in 30min to 3 hours late to work (or not at all), 3 timrs a week with no problems. This leads to low employee morale. Oftentimes those in upper positions would have to pick up the slack for underperformers. Management would constantly pile work onto their high achievers, but wouldn't allow raises, even while adding responsibilities due to turnover. Management also frequently placed vacation freezes on those in the saled department. There were times when no one could take vacation for 5months at a time, or were required to work more than 8hr days in order to make up for the lack of staff. This company typically works off of a skeleton crew. So if you like being micromanaged and underpaid/ unpromoted this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Stop posting false positive reviews on glassdoor. Hire more from within. Promote those who are working hard, or even acknowledge their hard work. Listen to your employees ideas on how to make the company or product better. Listen to your customers instead of developing products that they either don't want or aren't as effective as the competition

3. "Either you're in or out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

steady, bonuses monthly, nice office

Cons

does not promote from within, extreme favoritism, base pay does not change - no raises, more interested in rules than selling lasers, going beyond is frowned upon

Advice to Management

focus on customer service, gives raises

"The Company is run more like a Hobby than a Business"

I have been working at Universal Laser Systems full-time

Pros

It's a job.
    Health care for employee is covered by the company, Health, Dental, Vision Short Term Disability.
    There are some quality co-workers.

Cons

Low pay.
    Old and dated technology.
    Company refuses at times to make technology upgrades or embrace new technologies.
    Lack of integrity.
    Expensive health care when adding family members.
    Little or no chance of advancement.

Advice to Management

The Owner needs to get more involved in the company, don't believe the reports from those who report to you, many of them are wrong. Quality is not a priority. If and when the economy turns you will loose good employees if things don't radically change. Embrace technologies and upgrade.

6. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a lot of solid, well rounded employees who only want to see the company succeed. This is partly due to the fact that they are paid in the company index as opposed to full salary. This essentially means that you get paid based on company performance. In theory this is a fantastic way to pay employees, but only if each and every one understands how their specific job tasks effect the performance matrix.

Cons

The products are fantastic. The constant improvement was always a source of pride in working there, but I always felt we could do better in the market. directly compete with the competition.

Advice to Management

Covet good leaders when they cross your path and let them lead your teams to greatness.

7. "Universal Laser Systems"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Universal Laser Systems (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company allowed me to do my job. I had all the back up I needed. The departments worked closely.The company couldnot have done more for me during my illness. I would have no problem recommending a friend working there.

Cons

The laser production area needs expansion. As the bonus scheme is a large proportion of salery it needs tobe more transparent.

Advice to Management

The owner is the owner, he didnot become successful by chance and not knowing the business.

8. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I always enjoyed my time at Universal Laser. I would go back to work there in a second. Compared to other companies for whom I have worked, the environment was laid back. I found the senior management pretty approachable on a one to one basis and always felt like my ideas would at least be considered. I realize I can't always be right, but I never thought it fair for others to play armchair quarterback and dispute every decision made at the company. I read the company started in a garage and has grown pretty well since then and seems to have glowingly survived the economic crash. I think a few bad decisions will happen, but by and large it is obvious some pretty good decisions have been made as well.

Cons

It sickens me to see that people have taken to this forum to tell a one sided, jaded story with what seems like little understanding of what the work force is like. I see one person complaining about paying $950 a month for insurance. Welcome to the post “Obama care” world. I have teacher friends, who we all know make very little, that pay more for their families per month. These programs are less comprehensive and cost more out of pocket. Insurance is expensive now, as well as required. Get over it.

If you have worked somewhere more than a year and never had a review or evaluation by your immediate manager, you should ask for one. Everyone manages differently. I got a review when I asked for it. I had my pay reviewed as well because I asked for it. It was like this at two other companies I worked for. Sometimes the process just isn't in place yet. Universal Laser is like any other company. They don’t want to lose valuable employees and will work to keep you. The only reason I left is because the offer I received somewhere else was not capable of being matched. My manger certainly made offers to get me stay.

Advice to Management

Make the best decisions you can and keep the company growing. Some day I may want to come back and I want to see the company in better shape than when I left. There are good people working there and great products being developed. Always remember good people are worth holding onto.

"Universal Laser Systems is a great company with great people and is one of the best places I have ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Sounds to me like the same person posted over and over. I want to set the record straight. I work for this company and could not be happier.

In fact, I am excited about going to work every day. The people who work for this company are some of the smartest, most gifted people around. They have the patents to prove it. They invented most of the advanced technology in their systems. So my first "pro" is that I go to work everyday with people operating on an advance level. These people are the best at what they do and that is very interesting to me. It is not just the Engineers who are brilliant. Sales, Marketing, HR, Operations, Manufacturing, Service, Accounting, Facilities - everyone is deeply talented and operating on an amazing level. Obviously, I am reacting to a reviewer who repeatedly criticized the competency of several people. Just not true.

Second, the owner of the company is not only brilliant in the field of laser technology, he is an amazing businessman. He genuinely cares about his employees. He stops to talk to everyone and ask how they are doing. He listens. He provides real leadership and has earned the genuine respect of the people who work for him.

Third, the senior management team is brilliant. Again, genuinely nice people who care about other people who are doing amazing things in business and technology because they know what is going on.

Fourth, I am heard. I have always been able to voice an idea or share a thought. Obviously, not all of my ideas are winners. I am not broken hearted if my idea is rejected. That is one of the great things about respecting the people who make the decisions. I trust them. They have no hidden agendas. They are doing what is best for the company. Sometimes what is best for the company is saying no to my ideas. I can live with that because I had the opportunity to share my idea.

Fifth, it is a fun place to work. Did I mention that they company is filled with extremely intelligent and caring people?

If you want to be part of a team that is doing it, this is a fantastic company. I think that might be the key. If you want to be part of a team and support the play on the field, this is a great place. If you want to be the superstar lone-wolf and question every play and wonder why you aren't earning more perks, this might not be the best place for you.

Honestly, I could not be happier. I wholeheartedly recommend this place if you are a team player with skills to contribute.

Cons

I guess if you think a business exists to listen to your ideas and provide you with a career path and a lucrative 401k, stock options and covered parking then maybe you could find some fault with ULS. I want to know what color the sky is in your world because it is not blue. In my reality, we are a team listening to the plays being called by the management and executing the plays with 100% effort. I like that. I like being part of this team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and stay the course.

"Sales Professional"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean lunch rooms. Mostly pleasant people.

Cons

LEADERSHIP: The leadership, if it can be called that, believe that only they have all the answers to all the challenges and any alternate viewpoints are invalid by default. The owner seems to be a decent guy, but is constantly tripping over his ego, and his decisions show it. Funny thing as that their brilliant courses of action will usually be scrapped before long and a new, often more bizarre direction will be decided on. Notice the word "direction". They have the words PLAN and GOAL confused. They establish a GOAL, which sets up a DIRECTION, but an actual PLAN is either half-baked or never formed. This is why little is accomplished, and the downward spiral continues. Of course they will blame their underlings for failure to reach their brilliant goals and heads will roll. As an example of a bizarre decision: They launched a security division, aka the KGB. How is this going to contribute to the company's sagging bottom line? What will they do for 8hrs/day in a small company like this? Listen to the bugs in our offices? Read through our emails? Review video footage? Monitor internet usage? How paranoid has the owner become? We need SALES, not SURVEILLANCE!

One of the upper tier is an arrogant, back-stabbing tool but he is the only one doing anything remotely productive at the executive level. Unfortunately when his output is handed off to sales & marketing, nothing happens. The other half of the equation is in charge of a large swath of the company. To put it kindly, incompetence rules there. Company performance has done nothing but stagnate and tank as a result, despite the owner ramming their "incredible insight, clear-vision, and brilliant thinking" down everyone's throat in a sad attempt to improve their credibility. Anyone else with this track record would be let go or moved to a position where they could be productive. Instead, for reasons beyond EVERYONE'S understanding he seems hell-bent on giving them control of the entire company. Once that happens, the END won't be far off. On the upside, after the implosion it will be easy for them to visit each other with their new million+ dollar house and mega mansion being in walking distance.

MANAGEMENT: They try to follow the conflicting and ever-changing directives from above. People that can project the image of working lots of hours are considered loyal subjects, regardless of their output. People that work 40-50 hrs are seen as slackers, even if their output exceeds people that (appear to) put in more hours. The owner has a clever way of "encouraging" people to work later. He waltzes into the office at a leisurely 11:30 and stays until 7 or 8. So while he works a sort-of 8 hour day, many people are compelled to stay late because he's there late and calls meetings etc. Of course everyone else has to be there at 8am.

PAY: Pay is low-to-average and they tie it to company performance. They dangle the carrot out in front of you that when the company grows, your pay will grow...the sky's the limit! In reality, they tightly control the pay scale. So don't expect any kind of windfall, or to be highly compensated. Unless, you're somehow promoted to director or VP level.

GROWTH: Promotions happen rarely, if ever, and make little sense. If you want to work in sales & marketing, having the same skin pigmentation as the top tier definitely seems to give you a leg up on the competition.

BENEFITS: While your own (terrible) health insurance is company paid, plan on paying over $900/month to insure a family. 401k is minimal and described elsewhere.

OTHER: If you haven't figured out that the 5-Star review on April 1st (appropriate day to post it) is an obvious propaganda piece made by upper management to improve company image, then I have a bridge to sell you. The only true bit in there is that there are very talented people in the lower tiers of the company, the ones that get the work done.

Advice to Management

Wake up before its too late.

"Conedy or Tragedy?"

Former Employee - Marketing in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment. Good neighborhood. Pay can be decent for the right people. The products are interesting as is the market. Eliminated the dyfunctional HR department.

Cons

Executive level management is: extreme micro-management and no leadership whatsoever. Sometimes the proletariat can still do useful things, but most of the time they are misdirected and re-directed to the point of being totally frustrated and unproductive. The thinking at the highest level appears to be: "Out with the old and in with the new." Change is important for a company to move forward, but what is working should not be discarded unless something better is PROVEN TO WORK. This type of thinking extends to both our sales network and the employees: Newcomers are the "golden cows", and longer-term employees & sales-reps are second-class. Almost always, the "golden cows" turn out to be better at grazing than producing.

Advice to Management

The formula for success at this company appears to be: 1-While accomplishing nothing, actually hurt the company. 2-Repeat the owner's ideas back to him in corporate-speak. This is interpreted as executive competence. 3-Have a computer science degree. This is how the newly-minted VP's achieved their success. One of them started by chasing & backstabbing many talented people out of the company, proceeded to have several failed attempts at major company implementations with zero successes, had an affair with one of his underlings and is now, finally, a VP. The other one rose up from lowly sales peon to VP in under 4 years. After a computer science degree somehow qualified her for directing the marketing department, marketing rapidly disintegrated with nearly everyone quitting under her watch. As a reward, she was promoted to VP and also controls the international offices. Company-wide explanations for this range from the scandalous to the absurd (mostly scandalous). It would be comical if it wasn't so harmful to company morale and productivity.