Universum Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Universum Global CEO Petter Nylander
Petter Nylander

Pros
  • You are given a lot of autonomy and responsibility (in 4 reviews)

• nice people, nice work environment, your colleagues and superiors trust you from day one (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Creative, dynamic workplace with opportunities for growth and advancement"

I have been working at Universum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

start-up like environment that encourages and acts on new ideas
    very smart, confident, likeable colleagues
    clients are the best companies in the world
    client-centered teams focus on continuous improvement
    data /insights is core product and in high demand
    vast and expanding global footprint
    opportunities for international travel
    advancement opportunities for top performers
    25+ years of historical success
    company founder involved, visible and very accessible
    exciting new product developments underscore the future focus of the business

Cons

annual growth and expansion yields change and sometimes uncertainty
    need to hit the ground running and not depend on structure and formal training
    need to be comfortable with ambiguity
    infrastructure is lean and some work long hours
    frequent leadership changes

"Office Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

You get the opportunity to travel to Sweden (HQ is there) to meet colleagues and have fun.

Cons

Everyone works in vast, open spaces, crammed next to one another like seamstresses in Bangladeshi shirt factories, only instead of being hunched over sewing machines people are hunched over laptops. NO training. POOR pay. Leadership is a joke, literally there is this guy who is the managing director who likes to tell jokes. the product is a scam.

"Senior Employer Branding Analyst"

Former Employee - Special Events Manager in Coronado, CA
    Former Employee - Special Events Manager in Coronado, CA

I worked at Universum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to learn about B2B sales.

Cons

Pay was poor as was the training.

Advice to Management

Increase base pay, have a clearer trajectory for growth and opportunity for staff.

"Think global, make an impact, and grow everyday."

Pros

Employees are exposed to many different opportunities from the get-go at Universum. You have the autonomy to dive into what interests you, and get involved in much more than your designated scope. It feels good to be a part of a team of energetic professionals who are passionate about fostering an innovative and creative space. You'll be challenged everyday and will collaborate to achieve more than you realized you could. Accelerate your professional development alongside peers who care about your growth -- both inside and outside of the office.

Cons

If your looking for a work experience with more structured hand-holding, then the fast-paced and dynamic environment at Universum may not be the right fit.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the level of innovation within the Employer Branding space, and continue to empower employees in all regions by being the visionaries of a rapidly growing industry.

Apr 30, 2015 – Global HR Director

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Universum. It's great to hear that you feel you're growing within the innovative, collaborative and challenging environment.

6. "Leadership listens. They empowered me to make ideas real and encouraged a global team to help."

Current Employee - Global Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Global Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Universum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Regularly I get up far too early to jump on calls with colleagues in Australia, Sweden, Italy, the UK and a number of other countries. For many of these calls (honestly) I'm in my pajamas, but I don't mind getting up as I know that stuff actually gets done when we have these calls. The teams I work with are global, smart and want to get stuff done.

In the short 10 months that I've been at Universum, I've regularly met with leadership across the globe and they have supported my ideas and initiatives - this doesn't mean that they've been lazy in their analysis and critique of these ideas - far from it actually. I'm regularly put on the spot to sense-check progress and thinking. But I think this is good as I can see that the ideas and products have got better because of it. And once these ideas have passed this executive gauntlet I've got immediate support - from a budgetary perspective, but also and more importantly they have been vocal in their support on these ideas and products through the organization.

I feel empowered that the work that I'm doing will actually make our clients smarter and will foster better communication with talent and employers. Although I've not been in the mix for that long, I feel like I've sped up rather than slowed down; and that's perfectly alright for me.

I'll keep taking those calls in my pajamas.

Cons

There's a lot of opportunity, so there's a lot going on every day. All of the colleagues that I've met have been great so far, but the biggest challenge that I've experienced is competing priorities. Being able to rank these and marshal everyone to move in unison will keep surprise projects at bay. As such, if you're looking for a 9 to 5, stay away from Universum.

Advice to Management

The company is growing fast and moving towards being a technology company. Making this vision clear and continually communicating it to everyone will decrease the number of internal questions and friction.

Apr 30, 2015 – Global HR Director

Thank you so much for the candid view into your everyday life at Universum. We really appreciate your dedication and feedback.

7. "Ability to Make a Difference"

I have been working at Universum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Universum is a great place to accelerate a career. It may not come in the form of classroom training and structured programs, but you are given a lot of autonomy and all employees are encouraged to share ideas and drive them forward. Rather than spoon-feeding you, the company encourages you to challenge yourself and learn as you go. If you work hard and show your potential, you'll be rewarded with more responsibility and quick progression!

Cons

Things at Universum move very quickly and change rapidly - this is important to stay at the forefront of the fast-growing employer branding industry. As too much structure would inhibit agility, Universum won't be the right fit for people who crave structure and predictability. I personally enjoy this dynamic environment as it allows you to constantly step up, take on new challenges and feel that you're actually making a difference.

Apr 30, 2015 – Global HR Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your perspective. I'm so glad you feel you're able to make a difference at Universum!

"Good place to gain experience, poor place to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Universum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are given a lot of autonomy and responsibility.
    For the most part, the people are great to work with.

Cons

There is absolutely no focus on career growth or development (Ironic for a company that sells this)
    If you don't "buy-in" to management's way of doing things, you won't last long
    Management showed a consistent unwillingness to divert from the path and listen to it's employees opinions

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. You can attract talent to your company, but you will never retain anyone worth retaining without a clear path for development and advancement. Don't play favorites and keep an open mind to those who question and challenge the wisdom of certain decisions. Do not sacrifice longterm goals for short term profits. Understand that universities are the foundation of your research and should be treated accordingly.

9. "Tackling the biggest issues in the war for talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Universum full-time

Pros

There's nothing more important right now for multi-national companies than winning the war for talent. Universum's dedication to employer branding and what drives the decisions to attract and retain employees is unmatched with data-driven insights and phenomenal creative skills. The people are curious, energetic, and believe in the cause. It feels like we are working on one of the most important challenges facing major corporations today. The backing of the most comprehensive data sets along with the new addition of digital and social media activation offer makes the range of services we can provide our clients unmatched.

Cons

It's a work hard, play hard culture, so be prepared to work, learn, and challenge. The decision-making of MNCs can be quite complex, and for individuals to succeed they need to be equally curious, dedicated, and smart.

Advice to Management

With many offices around the world, this is truly an international company. Consider ways to share the global client successes as well as integrating the cultural experience of employees.

Apr 30, 2015 – Global HR Director

Thank you so much for sharing your perspective and passion in Universum's mission!

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Employer Branding Associate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Employer Branding Associate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I worked at Universum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Universum (both the company and the group) is a small and friendly organization that allows you to meet awesome people
    - It is a very dynamic company where you get to learn and practice new skills
    - With data regarding more than 60 companies, it allows you to travel around the globe frequently
    I had an amazing experience at Universum, where I was part of their graduate trainee program. I worked in Stockholm and in one of their other regional offices

Cons

- With change comes uncertainty, so if you are not comfortable with it, Universum might not be the best fit for you

Advice to Management

- Keep engaging with employees the way you have done in the past

11. "Simply the best!"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Universum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with Universum is simply, the best. I have NO idea what the negative people are talking about on this forum. I have NEVER experienced anything bad with Universum. Sure, there are some flaws, like with all companies, but MAJORITY is AMAZING

- The people are AWESOME. They are like a family, all my best friends are here, I have found mentors that I would even call . After not knowing ANYONE in Stockholm, I found a second home.

- The culture is very relaxed and everything is so flexible. You can dress any way you want, talk any way you want, and everyone is VERY open and WILLING TO TEACH.

- You will learn SO MUCH. Just in 3 years I've made a whole career out of Universum. Take some initiative and you will be able to develop EVEN MORE than your peers. Most of my friends know about 10% of the things I know. That's not because I'm awesome, it's because UNIVERSUM is.

- They build LEADERSHIP by allowing a lot of responsibility to their staff. From the get-go you are accountable for a variety of tasks with LIMITED micromanagement. This build leaders all around. Majority of people that leave Universum go on to be great influensors.

- The products are fantastic and very relevant to improve the gap between employers and students.

OVERALL, a dream job for the young 20s-30s to develop, grow leadership, travel, and of course, have an AMAZING TIME!

Cons

Unfortunately, you need to be comfortable to get close to colleagues, be adaptive to learn new things, and sometimes you have to be able to work in a flexible environment where it

It's not for all (clearly according to some of the the other comments....)

Advice to Management

Keep developing new, innovative products and services, focusing on the people primarily, and in general, keep up the great work!