Untangle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Devens

1. "Remember what brought you here"

Current Employee - California in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Untangle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.
    Engineering/Data driven company.

Cons

Has grown a lot in the last several years, doesn't always emphasize/reteach core values that brought it success.
    * Make it easy
    * Don't trick the customer
    * Do it, don't say it.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns. You know what you need to do, you've done it before, don't get detailed by the culture of the acquisitions.

"Outlook not so good"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Untangle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a good product. There are still (a few) execs to believe in, perhaps with a new CEO there is opportunity for change.

Cons

Unclear vision and fluffy PR moves have distracted from the bedrock of keeping customers happy and providing excellent service. Over the years the family-oriented atmosphere has given way to siloed teams, narcissism, finger pointing and big-company style office politics. Foundational issues are pushed aside in favor of chasing revenue.

Advice to Management

Untangle made a lot of money doing the right thing for its customers but got sidetracked by growth. Focus on what's important.

"Be very careful, these are fake reviews and the company is on the decline."

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Untangle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager was great but the leadership of this company is a joke. Seeing these fake reviews forced me to speak out.

Cons

Look at the tone and wording of these reviews: "Keep up the good work" or "Stick to your guns" or "Keep reaching for the stars" these are all reviews written by the same hr employee meant to make the company look good. The truth is this company just laid off a ton of it's support staff who have been with the company for years while it continues to hire VPs and Managers. It is disorganized and management is deceptive. I was brought on during an acquisition and was one of the few people left to support a legacy product then they fired everyone with any knowledge of the product. Untangle acquired a company called Total Defense and if you google reviews you will find dozens of complaints on BBB and ripoffreports, this is the acquisition that is sinking the company.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your staff, stop hiring Management, drop the Total Defense brand.

5. "Anonymous in San Jose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Untangle's culture is serious with a sprinkle of laughter. The departments respectfully work well together, while driving hard toward the goals. Pleasant atmosphere, great location, smart technology and even smarter employees.

Cons

Sometimes the projects have tight deadlines which demand extra hours. But, hey, you're working with great people!

Advice to Management

Keep up the team building, engagement, and approachability.

"great culture & great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

relatively small, but committed team. I have great access to everyone in the company; senior management is very involved and approachable and they work well together; I feel the managers really care about their teams and people here genuinely like each other. it's nice to be working for a company that's growing AND profitable. There's no "cliquishness" or animosity/tension between departments that I've experience in other jobs; company has really transformed in the past year with acquisitions, but hasn't lost it's great culture.

Cons

because we're a small team, we don't have a lot of extra or available resources which means I (and the rest of us) sometimes have to put in extra hours; in some areas we're still learning as we go.

Advice to Management

I like the direction the company is going. keep it up.

7. "Untangle is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Technical Support in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Denver, CO

I have been working at Untangle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Untangle has a great work environment. This is a great team to work with and everyone pulls their own weight.

Cons

I really can't think of any serious cons of working here. I really enjoy the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I can't think of anything that management could improve on or do better currently.

8. "Great benefits pkg"

I worked at Untangle (Less than a year)

Pros

3 weeks vacation during your 1st year. Plenty of Kaiser and PPO plans. HSA and FSA options, 401K, and the usual dental and vision.

Cons

None that i can think of.

9. "Almost dead - won't be around much longer"

I have been working at Untangle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tried really hard to make it work. New CEO and all, so we were hopeful. We really did have our fingers crossed that things would turn around.

Cons

This company is un-fixable, and is barely hanging on. Management lies to its staff so they don't all bail out, but the company is sinking. Management hides the status of the financials, and in the past has had severe layoffs, so you would think management would learn from this. This is a small company getting smaller. Don't be fooled by fake reviews - this company is teetering on the brink.

Advice to Management

Tell the team the truth, so they can go out and look for new jobs before its too late and the ship goes under. Don't hire people that you'll just have to lay off. Be honest.

"Mediocre"

I worked at Untangle (Less than a year)

Pros

A rich company culture with mid level managers that do have your best interest in mind, nice office space in a great location (heart of downtown San Jose), and standing desks! You get to learn A LOT at this company and you get to work with incredibly bright folks.

Cons

A company that was once driven by the passion for delivering great solutions to great customers is now driven by deadlines and people who can't make up their minds about where to take the company.

11. "Great People & Culture"

I have been working at Untangle full-time

Pros

Untangle has great people and the culture is awesome. The culture is upbeat, positive and everyone is always smiling and laughing every single day. Employees work hard towards the goals while having fun. There is tons of room for learning and growing.

Cons

There is not an unlimited supply of resources which is not a big deal since I knew what I was getting into.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.