Upland Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Upland Software Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jack McDonald
Jack McDonald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, wonderful work environment, opportunity for growth, choice to work from home or the office and Unlimited PTO with Management approval" (in 9 reviews)

• "Along with that comes a good work/life balance and flexibility like other reviewers have noted" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No 401k match or cell phone reimbursements" (in 5 reviews)

• "A complete mess of recently acquired companies that have no central theme or unity" (in 4 reviews)

"Generous company with exceptional staff"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Upland Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great energy about it and overall very friendly. It is a competitive environment, but overall I felt it was a great place to work. Management is involved, as well as the executive staff. Also, I would say the culture and desire to succeed is exceptional here. I honestly only have good things to say about Upland Software and they were very generous in many ways. Great company to work for and I would definitely do so again.

Cons

Demanding (not really a con)
    Commission is a bit low

Advice to Management

Provide staff with more tools to succeed. Upland already does to some degree, and does an even better job with customers, but there is room for improvement. Ensure staff is clearly trained and have the tools to succeed in their roles.

2. "Sr QA Engineer"

I have been working at Upland Software full-time

Pros

Good learning, nice work environment

Cons

None as far I know

"They don't understand what type of company they are"

I worked at Upland Software full-time

Pros

They are constantly acquiring new companies and if you are in the core of the company, you may have opportunities.

Cons

They focus too much on products or solutions for employment. I person may actually be a better fit for another product if they took the time to look.

Advice to Management

Since you are an M&A company, the best thing you could do to increase revenue is to create a Solution Lab where customers can bring their needs/goals and solution specialists could craft solutions with the multiple products Upland has to create front-office, mid-office, and back-office solutions

"Great teams, enjoyable projects"

I have been working at Upland Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Team has excellent work ethic and goes above and beyond to help all. I feel my department as well as other departments value my work. I love the product I work with so most projects are fun.

Cons

Sometimes I get assigned things that really don’t seem in scope of my job. This can be good practice for new skills but sometimes it’s because of churn of another dept. that things fall onto my plate.

In theory, I think the company is open to flex hours but at least for my dept this just means that sometimes due to a deadline or client location you work outside normal 9-5 day and so you may work some longer days. I am not sure if some people have worked out schedules where they can take a fitness class early evening or take an hour lunch break some days. Usually there’s just work to do that you need to get done. It’s hard to balance life outside work but this may be just me not turning off my laptop when I should.

Job security?

No match for 401K

Advice to Management

Please offer match for 401K

"meh."

Former Employee - Specialist in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Andover, MA

I worked at Upland Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

unlimited TO and pretty flexible workday schedules

Cons

Local office has excellent working atmosphere, supportive, collaborative staff. Distant corporate-level seems much less connected, focused only on bottom-line and expansion, less regard for quality of product than they want you to think. little room for advancement, salary under-par.

"Good for your product, probably not as good for you"

I have been working at Upland Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was not hired by Upland, but was part of an acquisition (as is true of many Upland employees.) When it acquires your company Upland consolidates as many shared services as possible, then to some extent leaves you alone. The corporate culture of your business unit remains much the same as it was at the time of the acquisition. The shared services can give you some tremendous new resources for product development.

Unlimited PTO, though it's between you and your manager how much you can really take. It could be more or less than you'd take otherwise. It's a benefit to Upland because they don't have to carry accrued vacation time, and they don't have to pay you out of it if you leave.

Remote work is encouraged, though it's not for everyone. It's clearly a cost-saving measure for the company. They'll provide equipment, but you'll have to pay for your own Internet and cell phone, even if you're a road warrior.

They know how acquisitions work - it's what they do. It will go pretty smoothly and quickly, because they'll have to get ready for the next one.

Everyone I've been in direct contact with is just as nice as can be.

Cons

Many of the acquired companies were small and not doing very well. As a result they bring immature processes, and that's reflected in the company as a whole.

Policies are thoroughly anti-employee. On day 1 of your acquisition, you'll hear lots about how Upland will take care of your customers. You'll hear almost nothing about how they'll take care of you. You're not a priority. The employment documents you'll be forced to sign will make that very clear. Benefits are mediocre and travel policies are a disgrace. The bonus plan is weak.

The business model is just weird. Growth is intended to be through acquisition and expansion in existing accounts, and not new business. That doesn't feel very sustainable. Management stated earlier this year that they're ready to start looking at organic growth, so that may change.

"Senior Software Engineer"

I worked at Upland Software full-time

Pros

If you like the team you end up with then it might be a good experience.

Cons

Essentially a conglomeration of acquired companies grouped together to form a suite of products. However there is little technological synergy between the products.

Attempts by management to globally define how different groups/products should manage their software development life-cycles, when the products are clearly so different and not easily able to adjust to these changes.

Advice to Management

Allow individual groups to succeed on their own terms.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Upland Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not really anything to mention.

Cons

-poor management
    -is not open to suggestions from the bottom
    -"we have always done it this way" mentality
    -Open vacation policy, but extremely hard to take off time
    -middle management are not leaders

Advice to Management

Stop looking at your people as expenses, but an asset.

"Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Upland Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Upland is excellent to their employee's, and has the tools to do your job efficiently.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any. If I had to say something it would be having the All Hands On meeting semi-annual rather than quarterly.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the great work with your employees, and providing feedback.

"Great co-workers, corporate structure out of touch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Upland Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty to learn
    Great collaborative team
    Middle management stays engaged

Cons

Corporate mostly interacts with each other to make decisions between departments
    Policies don't jive with company direction
    Pay well below national and local averages
    On-call hours 7-days a week