Uptake Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Brad Keywell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing perks (snacks, drinks, unlimited PTO, etc (in 12 reviews)

• work life balance: most engineers work 30 hour weeks because there isn't a product (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many silos and lack of transparency (in 4 reviews)

• I was also told there was good work/life balance, but I usually see people working during the evening and on weekends (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful work environment, great culture"

Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uptake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here over 4 months and I can definitely say that your work and opinion is valued, there are many opportunities to learn about something completely new, people are engaged, there are opportunities for professional growth, and there is a good work/life balance through wfh flexibility, flex hours, and unlimited PTO.

Cons

As with any company this size, working with IT can be quite frustrating when you've got a creative tech idea and a deadline to hit.

May 15, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for taking the time to post this feedback. We appreciate it.

2. "Software Engineering Intern"

Pros

Very interesting work, growing insanely fast, awesome people and relaxed culture. They let me directly join a team as an intern which was a great learning experience

Cons

Internship could be a little hectic with the fast paced growing. Need more resources to manage the internship

Advice to Management

I think management did a good job. I felt like i was heard and was able to contribute my own ideas even as an intern

3. "Good Learning Experience"

I have been working at Uptake full-time

Pros

Best Practices Followed
    Smart Peer Group

Cons

Competitive Work Environment can sometimes be taxing

Advice to Management

Better Work Life Balance

Nov 17, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear you acknowledge we follow best practices and have smart people on our team. Both are important to us!

While Uptake is a fast pace, high energy... More

"Great snacks"

I have been working at Uptake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great snacks
    - Flexible working time
    - Nice work-life balance

Cons

- Unlimited PTO, flexible but the same as other big companies
    - Your work would be under-assessed.
    - Smart guys have left, sometimes if you have problems that cannot be solved, they will stay there for a long time.
    - Can hardly see the future of the company even the CEO has talked about this in many situations
    - Don't have a core product
    - Lack of transparency, in terms of products and managements.

Advice to Management

Need to restructure the company, if not, just keep doing what you are doing.

Oct 13, 2017 – Uptake

Thank you for providing this feedback. We respect your thoughts but don't believe they accurately represent Uptake or the efforts we've made to develop a clear product roadmap and vision for the... More

"Uptake is great a place to work!"

I have been working at Uptake full-time

Pros

Lots of very smart people. They have a special willingness to adapt to new ideas and better ways of doing things. I've constantly asked "why?" and never once been told "just because!". This means that when I see a problem, I have broad latitude to fix it. Also there is a surprising lack of politics and everyone seems to care a lot about WHAT work that is being done instead of HOW the work is being done. Fantastic at work benefits!

Cons

They will lowball you on salary. I've seen them offer about 80-70% of what the person is worth. I've seen some of our best talent quit because the salary was fairly low. Negotiate with them!

Advice to Management

Pay the very best more so that we don't lose them. Hire fewer people and fire more! Not all software engineers are created equal and often fewer, more competent engineers are better!

Sep 26, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're glad you're asking "why?"; that's the type of curiosity our culture thrives on.

Regarding your thoughts on compensation, we know... More

"large startup with a lot of younger, extroverted people..."

I have been working at Uptake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like everyone else said, free snacks, lunch credit, etc. If you know the right people, it seems like you can get ahead. Unlimited PTO. Lots of work events (for fun, learning, etc.) and clubs, and events are held during work hours sometimes, and there are a lot of common areas for meeting.

Cons

It's a huge startup, but still retains startup desk rows (in some areas), so it's hard to get things done if you're ADD and prone to distraction, especially if you dislike people walking up behind you. It also helps if you're an extrovert just overall in terms of the company--the layouts, the work events, the lack of documentation so you need to ask people who they are and what they do, even on your own project, etc.

During the interview, I was told it was a very flat organization, but my project has several layers of management, and even after 3 months, I do not know what they do or who they all are. Additionally, not a lot of communication comes down from management, and information has to trickle to the bottom. I was also told there was good work/life balance, but I usually see people working during the evening and on weekends.

After being hired, I sat and did nothing for a week and nobody trained me. I hear that is common. However, I am able to learn on my own and started talking to random people on my own to understand how everything works. Not everyone can do that.

Advice to Management

Some managers do not really seem to be managers--dealing with people, instituting processes, etc. Also, ensure teams are ready to handle new employees, and perhaps encourage training within the team in addition to basic formalities, such as introductions to other teams and members.

Oct 5, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're happy to hear you've enjoyed some of the perks. We like the events, snacks and community groups, too. We believe fostering community helps everyone's... More

"Awesome place to work"

I have been working at Uptake full-time

Pros

Big problem to solve involving huge amounts of data.

Cons

The work can be unstructured. Things change very fast.

Aug 29, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for your feedback. Love to hear you consider Uptake an awesome place to work.

As with any fast-growth company, change happens. With having a fine point on things like our strategic... More

8. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uptake full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, innovative product. Building something unlike anything I've worked on before.

Cons

It's a start-up so things can be crazy, but what else is to be expected of a company this young with this much success.

"Amazing Culture"

I have been working at Uptake full-time

Pros

Flat management structure on the data science side. Interesting projects.

Cons

Too many company wide meetings.

Aug 7, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate it and are glad you're pleased with our culture and the projects being worked on.

Regarding your point on having too many company-wide meetings, we’re... More

"A good place for software company experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uptake full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of good, fun people. Nice perks.

Cons

Hard to see impact of your work. Super high turnover of many talented people.

Aug 16, 2017 – Uptake

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest input. We are pleased to know you like the people and the perks.

Regarding your cons, we understand it may be difficult to see the impact of... More