Uptake Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Brad Keywell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing perks (snacks, drinks, unlimited PTO, etc (in 12 reviews)

• Uptake brings together smart people from various backgrounds (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • But as time went on, there is a lack of transparency and trust (in 5 reviews)

• I was also told there was good work/life balance, but I usually see people working during the evening and on weekends (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful work environment, great culture"

Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uptake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here over 4 months and I can definitely say that your work and opinion is valued, there are many opportunities to learn about something completely new, people are engaged, there are opportunities for professional growth, and there is a good work/life balance through wfh flexibility, flex hours, and unlimited PTO.

Cons

As with any company this size, working with IT can be quite frustrating when you've got a creative tech idea and a deadline to hit.

May 15, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for taking the time to post this feedback. We appreciate it.

2. "Software Engineering Intern"

Pros

Very interesting work, growing insanely fast, awesome people and relaxed culture. They let me directly join a team as an intern which was a great learning experience

Cons

Internship could be a little hectic with the fast paced growing. Need more resources to manage the internship

Advice to Management

I think management did a good job. I felt like i was heard and was able to contribute my own ideas even as an intern

Dec 21, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks so much for this feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your internship experience and felt you were an immersed part of the team. That's a primary goal for our internship program -- to... More

"Changes"

I worked at Uptake full-time

Pros

You'll meet the brightest, kindest, funniest and most open-hearted people.

Cons

Uptake is a cautionary tale of a company that grew too fast, got ahead of themselves and spent money in a capricious manner. Uptake was truly wonderful in it's nascent phases... But as time went on, there is a lack of transparency and trust. It hurts me to write this, but Uptake is not headed in a great direction if it continues at this pace.

Advice to Management

Admit any problems the company may be facing, rather than throwing suprises at people. You are not invisible. Stop leading people to thinking everything is running smoothly when they are not.

"Great company with bleak future if things don't change fast. I hope it does."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uptake full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Perks: food coupons daily, beer on tap, frequent free lunch, free goodies and lot of parties and get together. Unlimited Leaves.

Good People: People are very friendly and helpful. But a lot of smart people have already left the company.

Good Learning Opportunity: The technology stack that we work on is awesome. Our resume looks awesome with just 1-2 years of experience at Uptake.

Cons

Where shall I start?

No Core Working Product: Uptake is almost 3 years old but still has no stable, working product. We advertise ourselves as a SAAS company which provides a platform for predictive analysis but all we have is a web app which does not predict much. Hopefully, it will get better over time.

No People With Experience: Uptake is a company with a lot of young people. They are all smart but lack experience. Software Engineers become managers in a span of 1 year. There is no proper Architect who oversees things in a project. There are a lot of smart people but not wise people. This led us to fail fast but the problem is we have failed at things so many times that we still do not have a stable product. This too will hopefully get better over time.

Not able to hold on to Clients/ customers: Because of the sub-par product the customers are unhappy and eventually stop using Uptakes product. In this three years, many customers left and there is still no returning customers.

A lot of bad Contractors: Uptake has hired a lot of incompetent Contractors who do not care about the product. They write bad code which leads to a lot of bugs. All they care about is showing how many stories they have finished so that they get a chance to convert to full time.

Advice to Management

Hire people with experience, make sure to put a smart and capable Architect to each project who can see the big picture. Managers are not good Architects. Please have the same interview process for Contractors as full-timers or at least make sure they are smart and passionate about the product. Be clear about priorities and listen to what the end users of the product have to say. Because we build the product for customers, not strategy teams. I know we are working hard to be the best and I hope we be the best in the near future.

Dec 26, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for your feedback on both the pros and cons of working at Uptake. We take this input seriously.

There are a few things in your cons that we'd like to add clarity around:

- At nearly... More

"Terrible Company; Terrible CEO"

I worked at Uptake full-time

Pros

Many of the rank-and-file are quite good.

Cons

CEO lost his composure at an all hands; how can we trust him to run a company when he can't even give a decent speech?

"Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Uptake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of freebies, nice people but extroverted.

Cons

Lack of communication, no transparency.
    Lack of management in hiring and staffing predictions
    Non professionalism in terming employees- not separate as lacking privacy and professionalism in the communication

Jan 11, 2018 – People Project Manager

Thank you for providing this feedback. There's a lot of time and thought that goes into both how we hire and exit our employees and we are saddened to hear this was your experience.

In regards to... More

"Uptake is full of hot air"

I worked at Uptake full-time

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Tons of learning opportunities
    - A good place to work if you're considered "indispensable" (that can change very quickly, though!)
    - Many smart, thoughtful, creative people work at Uptake.

Cons

- Classic Lightbank problems: overly confident, hires too quickly, can't imagine inevitable business fluctuations. In fact, I notice in another glassdoor review that Uptake responded to a review saying, they're currently planning on "aggressively" hire in areas that will support the future growth. I do not believe Uptake truly understands where it is going or growing and can foresee what it needs. Take a breather and learn from your mistakes.
    - Changes definition of self every 2 months - I understand Uptake is a young company, but Uptake brings someone new into leadership with a new shift/spin and can't really even decide what the product is. (Insert canned Uptake response here about how the products are great and super clear and well defined.. we swear!) This is in line with the recent layoffs as well - someone is considered "key talent" one day, and the next day isn't considered "part of the vision moving forward." Uptake is grasping at straws.
    - Staff have been forced into inside sales roles when hired in completely different roles - marketing, product, office of CEO to name a few -- watch out, you could be next!
    - While there are some experienced managers, Uptake is full of people managing huge teams for the first time, and all the manager training in the world can't really give them credibility. Because of rapid growth, managers not able to also able to grow their skills over time, expected to manage huge teams with ease and navigate rough waters - huge challenge and not particularly successful.

Advice to Management

1. Values shouldn't be something you demonstrate only when the going is good.
    2. Values shouldn't be something you demonstrate only when the going is good.
    3. Values shouldn't be something you demonstrate only when the going is good.

- Don't get into yelling matches at All Hands meetings with staff, not a great way to demonstrate trust or respect.

"Software Engineer"

I worked at Uptake full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-snacks
    -drinks
    -can occassionally work from home

Cons

stressful environment (yelling and swearing occurs frequently)

9. "Good Learning Experience"

I have been working at Uptake full-time

Pros

Best Practices Followed
    Smart Peer Group

Cons

Competitive Work Environment can sometimes be taxing

Advice to Management

Better Work Life Balance

Nov 17, 2017 – Uptake

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear you acknowledge we follow best practices and have smart people on our team. Both are important to us!

While Uptake is a fast pace, high energy... More

"Great snacks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Uptake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great snacks
    - Flexible working time
    - Nice work-life balance

Cons

- Unlimited PTO, flexible but the same as other big companies
    - Your work would be under-assessed.
    - Smart guys have left, sometimes if you have problems that cannot be solved, they will stay there for a long time.
    - Can hardly see the future of the company even the CEO has talked about this in many situations
    - Don't have a core product
    - Lack of transparency, in terms of products and managements.

Advice to Management

Need to restructure the company, if not, just keep doing what you are doing.

Oct 13, 2017 – Uptake

Thank you for providing this feedback. We respect your thoughts but don't believe they accurately represent Uptake or the efforts we've made to develop a clear product roadmap and vision for the... More