Valorem Reply Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 15, 2019

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life Balance - In the 6 months, I can count on 1 hand how many times I've had to go over 40 hours" (in 5 reviews)

• "Remote work on occasion; snacks and drinks available for free and nice offices" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is fuzzy when chasing the dollar" (in 6 reviews)

• "Constant growing pains while company is not growing" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Valorem Reply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay; great work-life balance; nice environment

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thanks for the great feedback!

2. "Lies"

I worked at Valorem Reply full-time

Pros

Free snacks, works with you on life/ job balance but they have to sunce you will work 60 hours a week

Cons

Lies lies lies. Asks for questions anonymously but tap dances around any hard answers.

Advice to Management

Be as transparent as you claim to be

Feb 19, 2019 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thank you for providing constructive feedback regarding your time with Valorem Reply. I am sorry to hear your experience was not what we strive for with all of our employees.

We are continually... More

"Fun Culture"

I have been working at Valorem Reply full-time

Pros

This place has a great culture and the Seattle office is in a cool location. There is a training budget & have the latest software. Snacks and drinks are there. There is a wfh policy

Cons

Must like working on a Microsoft project and expected to put in long hours. Others have nothing to do. CEO believes he is better than everyone. Benefits are average at best but this year they are trying different health insurance. We will need to see. Huge pay differences. Kansas City is were you need to be for promotions. Bonus is tied to billable hours so too much PTO (which is "unlimited ") or screw ups in sales can cost you.

Advice to Management

Get away from Microsoft.

Feb 5, 2019 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thanks for taking the time to provide us feedback.

We agree that the Seattle office has a fantastic culture and they have been working hard to improve upon their success. We are constantly... More

"UX Designer"

Pros

Access to big name companies. Projects can vary.

Cons

Leadership communication is sorely lacking. Culture feels almost hostile with everyone working under high stress from management. No room for growth.

"Valorem Employee (KC Office)"

I worked at Valorem Reply full-time

Pros

Good project team members to work with.

Cons

The organization pulls bait and switches to get people on-boarded. They will tell prospects what they want to hear to get them in the door but not follow through (once an employees in the door the pressures off). As many others have indicated management acts like they want input but for the most part it gets filed in the waste basket - really just a ploy to make employees *feel* like they are being listened to in order to attempt to curve turnover. Project teams typically don't run lean as there isn't trust by management for teams to deliver which leads to micro-management and a lot of noise on projects.

Advice to Management

Be honest up front starting with hiring and on-boarding. Trust those you hire to deliver to do just that. If they aren't maybe it's a bad hire or other factors beyond their control but adding layers of micro-management equals turnover.

Dec 17, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thank you for your candid feedback. Valorem has made massive efforts over the past year to ensure more timely and actionable feedback is given to and taken from our employees. Recently, we have... More

"Leaves Much to be desired!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Valorem Reply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have bikes you can ride, but no one really does.
    They have a designated parking lot not far from the office.
    Some 401K match, not great but not awful.
    You will work multiple 60 hour weeks with out any kind of recognition because that is normal.
    They talk up their unlimited PTO, but you can only put in a request 60 days out and you have to work around your project times. The busy seasons are in the Spring, Summer, and Fall, I hope you like winter holidays if you and all the other employees can fit in time off and not leave the office empty.
    There is a keg, but it is on lock down unless your are a few select people including management.
    They boast about having tickets to the Sprint Arena in downtown KC, but very few tickets are ever offered because they most always goes to Management and the people who are best buds with the CEO and Management team.

Cons

Management. Constant growing pains while company is not growing. Extended periods with out one on one manager interactions. A lot of constant turnover. Uninterested managers, insincere management. Recently we were guaranteed job safety, now they are letting multiple people go. Very "click' like, If you aren't best friends don't expect to be welcomed. Culture is based around drinking. CEO is a bad example to employees and has a huge temper. They boast education but have no structure, plans, or support for employees. No one will have time to mentor you because they are too busy being worked to death. Don't bother thinking outside the box, because they already know how they want things done. There is no real room for advancement. Salary is low compared to KC average. Don't be expect to be viewed as a person, you are a pack animal. You are expected to work 60 or more hours weekly and weekends, this is not uncommon though it should be. Be aware that as a consulting firm their amount of business intake fluctuates.. A LOT.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they say they aren't being heard. Don't ask employees to jump through hoops only to let them go because you don't have any incoming projects. Could have prevented a lot of problems with improved communication and better management. Revise your guide. I don't think it bothered anyone to let go multiple people prior to the Holidays.

Nov 8, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

I understand the pain people feel when the company has to make tough choices to let someone go. While Glassdoor is a place where people can vent, internally we use an anonymous engagement tool where... More

"Good learning experience, toxic work environment and culture"

Current Employee - Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Valorem Reply full-time

Pros

Projects tend to work in the latest Microsoft technology
    Chance to work with lots of cutting edge cloud technology
    Lots of opportunity for moving up if you are a good worker

Cons

The culture can be very toxic - lots of gossip, disrespect, and negativity between teams and coworkers.

Advice to Management

Take strong action against people who have repeated toxic behavior.

The company has a lot of people who hoard knowledge and responsibility for job security. This encourages negative and toxic behavior when people refuse to share knowledge with co-workers because they think it will devalue their position. Please make it a priority to hire people who demonstrate a cooperative attitude, and encourage employees to share knowledge instead of using it as a weapon against each other.

Get rid of the keg. People drive home drunk from Valorem all the time. They drink way too much from the keg and immediately hop in their car. One day there's going to be a serious accident and Valorem does not want to be the company that encouraged their employee to drink before leaving work.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thank you for your feedback. We are continually committed to improving our knowledge sharing practices and I am sorry that you have encountered such a negative experience in your time here. Our... More

"Company has an Identity Crisis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Valorem Reply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is the people they hire. Recruiting does a great job at getting quality people in who truly care about their work.
    Valorem tries to maintain a start-up/techie vibe with free food, happy hours, ping pong table, and architectural design but that's where it ends.

Cons

Leadership talks a good game, but doesn't provide an employee-friendly environment. CEO creates an environment of intimidation and expect his leaders to manage the same way. Very arrogant for someone who doesn't have much experience outside of his own company.
    Unlimited PTO means they expect you to be available to take calls and work on your time off. Also, can't request PTO until you are close to the date, so makes it hard to book lodging and transportation.
    Employees are micro-managed and not given opportunity to grow their career past their expected daily duties. Promises broken about career path within the company. Not allowed to have original ideas because it only matters what the leadership team wants to do.
    When you do provide feedback to upper management, they listen but it's not heard. It's like they are playing the part to say they value feedback, when in reality they don't care.
    If you aren't billable, your position isn't valued.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you value work/life balance and be true to what you do. If you want to keep good employees, allow them to grow and show you what they can do. Value your talent. Don't hire people for their abilities and then prevent them from using them.

Sep 24, 2018

I am sorry you felt this way while here. We work hard to do the right thing and not just "talk a good game". We truly spend a lot of time trying to think about everyone here and live up to our... More

"Disappointing"

Pros

There are free snacks. Coworkers can be helpful. Projects are interesting.

Cons

Leadership is arrogant & untrustworthy. Positive culture appearances are a ruse. Managers have no experience & no training. PTO denied and workers called on vacation. Promises not kept. Work/life balance is fuzzy when chasing the dollar.

Advice to Management

There is more to leadership that negotiating with customers - advocate for employees.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

I apologize that you had a negative experience when you were with us.

We are committed to continually improving our culture and our overall employment experience. Our time off policy is in... More

"Weak pay, boring projects, low hiring bar"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Valorem Reply full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office is in a good location.

Cons

There are some good engineers, but a lot of bad ones too. Lots of ppl get let go for performance reasons.

Hiring process is a joke. They don’t do technical interviews. Anyone can get a job here.

Compensation and perks are bottom of the barrel for Seattle.

Long hours we often required.

No signing bonus or relocation provided

Advice to Management

Pay more. Evaluate people for technical ability, and determine their level based in their interview performance. There are SD3s who are less skilled than some SD1s.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback and we are sorry you had a negative experience while you were at Valorem.

We are very proud of our staff and we realize that people are at varying... More