KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

1. 5.0

Favorite place I've ever worked

Feb 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

By far, my biggest pro working at Very is the people. I am surrounded by individuals who are excellent at what they do, incredibly intelligent and interesting to talk to, and who genuinely care about each other. Very also does "remote work" incredibly well, to the point that I have developed closer relationships with people I've never met in person than I ever did with people I worked side-by-side with in a traditional office setting. When it becomes safe to travel again, I fully anticipate that our upcoming annual company retreat will be one of the highlights of my year.

Cons

Everyone pushes really hard here, which could be a con for someone who's not looking for that kind of environment. Personally, I thrive on it.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Great Team

Feb 25, 2021 - Technical Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really enjoy working with the other PM team, engineering team, the client base we have. If you like to do challenging work this is the place for you

Cons

Not a con but the team is growing fast, hard to really get to know everyone.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Remote culture done right

Feb 25, 2021 - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very was set up to be remote and distributed long before COVID and it shows.

Cons

Feeling connected without retreats are tough, the company seems to be doing their best

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fully remote, fast-growing company with strong culture

Feb 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong, positive culture (particularly for a remote company) and great employee benefits. Fast growth presents lots of opportunities. Glad to be along for the ride.

Cons

Fast growth also presents some growing pains as roles and procedures are being figured out and changing often. All part of the process.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great, Professional, Remote Workspace

Feb 25, 2021 - Senior Data Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a developer, they have high standards and it results in a great environment and culture.

Cons

They generally have a good fully-remote culture, but maintaining connections with co-workers still requires considerable effort

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

The place to go for well-rounded data science

Feb 2, 2021 - Senior Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The common complaint about data scientists is that they don't know how to work outside a Jupyter notebook. Very is the place for anyone who wants to work on the full cycle for analysis pipelines instead. Working with a consultancy means figuring out new projects regularly, and building them from the ground up. Not just the models, but everything about data processing and storage. Model training, model management. CI/CD, infrastructure as code. The only way to be a full-stack data scientist is to actually build the full stack, over and over. How many companies can provide that sort of exposure? One of the central concerns of management is how to train more people to be better at all the parts of this business. What are the best practices, and how can more people become better at them? This is the place to become stronger at your craft. It also makes a big difference to work for a remote-first company like Very. You know how much learning everyone had to do when regular companies all went remote in March 2020? If that was a nightmare at your old company, then you can appreciate how much of a difference it makes to work at a place where everyone is remote and always will be. This is a job that you can take wherever your life is. Very has a better work-life-learning balance than I've seen anywhere else, by a wide margin. People have lots of control and ownership over their work and their lives. It's also nice that their salaries are competitive with most of the country, and fully transparent to all employees. Really, though, the reason to be here is for the quality of work and life, not for outrageous compensation. This is the sort of place where you'll badger your best friends to apply for a job. And there'll be space, considering the staggering growth of the company even during 2020.

Cons

Very is a distributed company, with employees throughout the US and Latin America. So you'll work closely with lots of people and develop strong friendships, but you may not be able to see them in person more than once per year, at our annual retreat.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Transparent, focused, and full of integrity

Feb 1, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Providence, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Responsibilities and processes are documented. Expectations are clear and upfront. Every person is treated with dignity and respect. Highly engaged employee base to maintain a very fun remote culture. First place that has made the remote culture better than any in person office culture I've seen.

Cons

Mindset shift to remote only work can be difficult for some.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Makes Work Worth It

Jan 22, 2021 - Director of Engineering in Chattanooga, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

We spend about 1/3 of our waking hours working. This place makes me feel like those hours are well spent. I constantly re-evaluate whether or not this is true for my time spent working, and I've been here 5 years, with no interest in leaving at this point. * Everyone cares about being excellent at their job. * There is a tight sense of community with respect to both work-related matters, and personal hobbies/interests. * Everyone is held accountable for producing high quality work. This rubs some people the wrong way, but it's probably because they care more about other things besides producing high quality work. * There is a high degree of transparency regarding both daily work within teams, and management decisions. Everyone is willing to "show their work", in any situation. This really showed strong in the COVID pandemic where management proposed pay cuts (of which they took the heaviest), and we made it through with no layoffs. * There are very few companies in the world that are trying to tackle the types of multi-disciplinary technical problems that are being tackled by Very.

Cons

* Consulting is not for everyone. It lends itself to individuals who are highly motivated by the prospect of finely honing their craft (I call this meta-engineering), as opposed to the prospect of finely honing a single output of their craft (e.g. a single system).

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Really great place to work

Oct 9, 2019 - Senior Developer in Chattanooga, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome benefits. Work anywhere. Super smart people. I love working here.

Cons

The pay is relatively low for my experience level, although it is high by the standards of my town.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Aug 7, 2019 - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Amazing benefits (healthcare, 401k, stipends, gym reimbursement, etc) -Remote-first! Work from anywhere you want (I moved to the mountains after accepting) -Cool work, cool people -A profitable tech company!! (No VC's, no fund raising, no outside pressure)

Cons

-Working for a services company isnt for everyone -The company pays 75% of big market salaries -There is pressure to live up to your full potential

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews