Viewpoint Reviews | Glassdoor

Viewpoint Reviews

Updated Sep 14, 2019

Viewpoint CEO Manolis Kotzabasakis (no image)
Manolis Kotzabasakis
Pros
  • "I feel that Viewpoint works hard to promote a great work environment(in 15 reviews)

• "competitive salary and very good benefits(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "poor middle and upper management(in 7 reviews)

• "Portland traffic, and not enough parking around the offices(in 7 reviews)

1. "Love this company!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Viewpoint has a fantastic work culture! They care about their employees and it shows. They have good salaries and even better benefits packages. The employees are professional and overall a good group of people!

Cons

At times there is a high level of turnover.

Advice to Management

Try and retain sales employees, turnover can cause a disconnect with customers.

Viewpoint2019-08-30

"Leave & they will (threaten or) sue you for non-compete - even if you are not competing in any way."

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some really wonderful long-timers there. The SE team is amazing. The customers (and prospects) are great to work with.

Cons

The way they treat their customers and employees is upsetting. If you resign, you better be going to work for a grocery store or they will be sue you. Oh, and make sure the grocery store doesn’t do any construction, or run any software -they might consider that a competitor! Comp plans decrease by 25-30% year over year while they boast of profitability increases year over year. Ouch.

Advice to Management

Hey, here’s an idea - Take half the money you spend suing people that leave Viewpoint to better their lives, invest it into your existing employees (to better their lives). As a result, you might be able to start retaining quality talent. Also karma is a thing. It’s never too late to turn that train around. You could start being nice today. It might hurt a little at first but once you see that profitability... going back up, the pain will subside. Trust me.

Viewpoint2019-09-15

"Great place to work on cool products and make a difference"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time

Pros

Viewpoint is doing some really neat things with its products and has fully embraced the SaaS company mindset. The downtown office is in a great location and has become a hub for the Portland tech community. The benefits are really very good and the company is now part of a large global technology leader.

Cons

Not a con, but their are high expectations for delivery of results, and this may not be for everyone.

Viewpoint2019-03-19

"Would not recommend- no job security"

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

worked remotely and I was not involved in the home office politics

Cons

Management was constantly changing, no culture, stressful with ridiculous productivity requirements

Advice to Management

stop changing focus, stop changing the rules, stop threatening job security

Viewpoint2019-05-02

"The best company I have worked for."

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture. Sales people that help each other and get along. Management that cares about customers and employees. No shady sales non-sense or politics. Cool tech vibe, lots of games, gym, free food, etc. High end backing, but also profitable, so it's not going anywhere.

Cons

To be successful on the sales side you can't be lazy, and you also need to be very smart. Cons for some, but a plus for others. It can be a little demanding if you let it.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on a personal touch and empathy with your people.

Viewpoint2019-03-22

"Inside Sales - Mid Market Role"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time

Pros

- Straight forward and open interview process - Excellent training program - Industry leading technology - Huge opportunity for growth

Cons

- Must be adaptable and flexible with the amount of growth that is targeted

Viewpoint2019-03-07

"Headed in the Wrong Direction"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friends, paid time off, gym.

Cons

Poorly trained managers, paid parking, no career development.

Advice to Management

Let me be honest. Viewpoint used to be a good place to work. They had managers that cared about people, encouraged self development, and worked hard to build a culture. Unfortunately all of that ended 5+ years ago. Viewpoint has evolved and not for the better. They have been sold multiple times, received large cash investments, had processes tweaked from the top down, and lost their identity. Pressure from both... outside and inside the organization has created a very bad culture. Here is an engineering perspective. Years ago, they implemented a rule that he would only hire managers with a technical background. That resulted in the on boarding of managers who are not only bad with people, but some with zero empathy or social skills. Instead we have process managers who constantly push to release software and never stop to ask if employees are happy in their work or what they would like to learn and how management can help. This is not a place for growth. Raises are stingy and those in charge play favorites. A 3% allotment is given to each team. If a team is high performing, some high performing individuals will suffer so that others can thrive. But wait, that doesn't make sense. Management actually agrees with that but does not have the power to affect change. These policies are pushed down from above and management does very little to go to bat for individuals. Let me be clear. These are not leaders, these are managers. Viewpoint does not attract high end talent. I've debated the why on this topic many times. It's a toss up between, below industry pay and the hiring strategy they implore. A few years ago I stopped seeing senior engineers come in for interviews. The best that they could manage were junior and mid level, and even that is shaky. Now they spend a lot of effort recruiting college graduates as interns. Interns make less money and have no experience. They are easy to manipulate and mold. They are often less confident in their skills and don't know what they want in their career. But let's be honest, the making less money part is what the corporate managers are after. Hiring inexperienced developers causes more work for senior developers by adding teaching, code reviews, and other mentor type responsibilities onto their plate. Management does not reward or even recognize the added effort and stress this puts on our engineers. Viewpoint will probably respond to this review with some corporate nonsense. They would love to bury this review 6 feet under. But this is all honest and it is all factual. The only positive step that they can take after reading this is to pull their managers aside and teach them good leadership skills. Things like empathy, trust, recognition, personal development. Don't try to sweep this under the rug, face the facts and be a positive force for change.

Viewpoint2019-04-21

"Mid Market Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time for more than a year

Pros

VP has a great product second to none, the support that you receive from day one is fantastic. Our team leaders are helpful and willing to go above and beyond to help you succeed. The training curriculum is the best that I have experienced in my sales career. We are part of Trimble now, which is super exciting.

Cons

With growth, you experience many growing pains but it’s the same with all other successful software companies in town.

Advice to Management

Put the people that work for you and our customers first and the success of the company will follow.

Viewpoint2019-03-01

"Great culture, great opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture. A lot of smart, driven people that you like to be around. Industry's best products with loads of investment in R&D and fast delivery of updates. The market is poised for massive technology adoption and investment. Plenty of cross-functional support. Opportunity for advancement. Some of the best onboarding/sales training I've ever seen. The company is very invested in your success and the company... has a positive, winning environment. Feels like we're all pulling on the same rope. Solid corporate alignment. Definitely a fast-paced and exciting place. Top notch professional organization. Issues of the past are left in the past, and we are moving forward in a great way! It's great to see. We are having record growth and success. Being part of Trimble has been a good experience. I have referred friends who have been hired here and they like it as well. Has transformed into one of the best technology places to be in Portland.

Cons

With fast growth comes change, but this should be something expected in software. There have been a lot of changes as we continue to grow at an aggressive pace. You have to be able to adapt quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in happy employees and great products.

Viewpoint2019-02-28

"Great Company with Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great on-boarding, very supportive and open environment, leadership genuinely cares about your career growth. Culture is warm and has a family feel.,Not what I'm used to!!

Cons

None so far. I read other reviews that badmouth this company and quite frankly its laughable. These are obviously prospects that would right negative reviews about every place they would work

Advice to Management

Continue to boost moral and keep doing what your doing!!!

Viewpoint2019-02-28