Viewpoint Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Manolis Kotzabasakis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Sometimes managers will buy kegs of beer, we have fun parties once in awhile, and work/life balance is great (in 10 reviews)

• I feel that the benefits package is excellent, and the work environment is very enjoyable (in 10 reviews)

"Software Consultant"

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New management listens, delivers on promises. Growth is smart, not just for the sake of growing or selling the company. Products are mostly excellent, customers believe in us. Nice facilities and benefits, many team members who care and work hard to deliver great service.

Cons

Growing pains began before Bain acquired us and peaked in the 2 years following. Typical of such changes, there was much attrition...but the new guard gives me plenty to be excited about and look forward to regardless of who owns us. So yes, much pain...but I believe we are emerging on the other side and it's all (OK, mostly) winning from here on out.

Advice to Management

Never skimp on transparency and COMMUNICATION with employees. Allow middle managers to consider the human factor when making business decisions, not just pure policy and profitability. Promote leaders, not just managers, and make sure they know those they lead.

2. "Transition"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are excellent people and great to work with.

Cons

Large amount of ongoing turnover in the management layer.

Advice to Management

Figure out what direction you want to go.

"Care"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, Vision perspective direction work smart

Cons

Leadership changes are too often

"Software Development Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Maker/Abstraction Architect in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Maker/Abstraction Architect in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had full ownership of a large project. Folks that don't know any better seem to think highly of employment here, go-go PR/Marketing rangers. Tom knew the score, and stood up for decency. I miss Tom a bit. I worked with some great individual contributors. Got a professional worldview changing lesson on organizational psychology. It was amusing to watch a couple individuals thwart the push for cultural change by working very hard at doing anything but their actual job conniving their way to more and more influence with less and less actual responsibilities, via misdirection, opaque communication, intimidation, and other behavior resembling some sort of personality disorder. I modified my career path in order to make sure these risks are assessed, and eliminated. Gave me all sorts of strategic/management related insight and soft skills I lacked prior to being a Viewpoint employee. It is what we make of it.

Cons

Said ownership was because they laid off the other two people on my team about three months after hiring me (they had over 30 years experience with the company combined). Management was.... well, literally absent for the most part. When a manager was finally brought in suggesting we needed to work together and my primary concern was getting work done I was told it was more important to him to 'have fun'. Never noticed 'Product Ownership' owned nothing and blatantly used employees as pawns. Hmmm... I could go on and on. I think my first sentence sums it up. Funniest professional moment ever: "We seem to point fingers every time something goes wrong. Wouldn't it make sense to empower someone with ownership of individual pieces of the workflow such that the actual root problems get solved instead of the continued issues and finger pointing." As 'the team' owned things, it was obvious I wasn't a 'team' player and the looks I got were... Pretty funny.

Advice to Management

Sometimes your business outgrows your business processes. When this happens and processes need to modernize, aptly managing the cultural misalignment is a difficult and slow process that requires some sort of actual planning and skill. Often times it calls for complex non-intuitive solutions for seemingly simple problems. People don't like change. And incompetent people will eliminate those more aligned to the new business model. Who am I kidding though, they have beer and popcorn, and metrics to count. That sure sounds fun! And EVERYONE's my friend yay! Hint: that's not what managers do, and you are not doing any organization a service if this is your line of thought. I'd seriously advise you to move out of management. You shouldn't have been placed their to begin with.

In addition, management left a critical Application Development Manager position open for nearly a year. The monkeys took over wearing their clown shoes and no one noticed. The one or two decent one's didn't last over a year The M&A strategy of (creating the appearance) of change rapidly appears to be on track. It was bad enough that I decided to move in to management after leaving, and my experiences there put me above my peers in regards to the subtle side of people management. The younger folks they hire are too naive to see the writing on the wall and more experienced staff don't have the courage to stand up and change things, and just keep their heads down hoping it will be like it was before the Bain acquisition. Good luck with that. If you are considering working on a legacy team there, and think that anything I've written seems somewhat coherent I would advise you to look elsewhere or plan or leveraging a year experience for other opportunities. Significant change needs to occur to make Viewpoint a decent place to work unless you have no other option. If you are an employee and stop accepting the lack of management as acceptable you might be able to save a bit of dignity.

"Sad Changes"

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the team I worked with in Client Services. Everyone worked hard for each other and for our clients. Flexible schedules/work from home.

Cons

Once the company was sold to Bain Capital everything changed. Lay offs were constant. You really became just a number at the company. No explanation of why people were laid off or even WHO was laid off. You would email the person and get a bounce back and that's how you would find out. Horrible communication. Constant turnover of management.

Advice to Management

Get back to being customer focused and caring about your employees. Take a step back and realize that only looking at numbers does you no good if your employees don't believe in you or your product any more.

"Long time employee"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice office, although I did not prefer all the "openness". In reality that set up creates a lot of noise and unnecessary interruptions.

Cons

After Bain Capital took over, the company hit rock bottom. So many great people laid off for made-up reasons. The company was a brilliant and enjoyable place to work when it was privately owned, but after Bain Capitol took over, Viewpoint has become a desert of talent, a sad place to work, and those who are here are simply looking for a new job. The software product has really suffered, although the public would never know it through the use of good PR and fake awards.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who wants it to thrive.

7. "Great place to work and a great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So many pros: the location, benefits, family-friendly, good people, strong leadership team... There is no shortage of opportunity at Viewpoint. If you take initiative, work hard, take a collaborative approach, and go the extra mile, you are rewarded.

Cons

Since the last owner sold to Bain, there has been a lot of change and that has at times been difficult to adjust and adapt to, but with the new leadership team in place, improvements are really noticeable and it's an exciting place to be.

Advice to Management

Remember there's no such thing as too much communication.

"Layoffs"

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, good work life balance

Cons

Layoffs happen just about every quarter since being sold off to Bain. People now are constantly looking over their shoulders. CEO will talk about how great the company is doing one day and turn around a slash a department the next.

Advice to Management

Be more open and honest about how the products are actually doing.

"Hope it gets better"

I worked at Viewpoint (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company still has good bones

Cons

Not knowing the direction of the company

Advice to Management

Provide some stability.

"What happened?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Front line workers try hard. Decent pay and benefits. Nice facilities. Great customers.

Cons

Company no longers seems to care about customer needs. The number of people providing direct support to customers is decreasing. Primary interest seems to be to make the company look profitable. The company has too many products in too many geographies to doing any one thing well. The old guard that made the company great has almost all left as they couldn't stomach the changes being driven by the new ownership.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots and practice what you preached for years - Put customer and employee needs first, and profits will come as a result. By making profitability the driving force, you are forgetting what made VIewpoint successful.