Viking Collection Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gene Kloeckner & Cory Kloeckner

1. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Debt Collector in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

Flexible schedule. Nice management. Accommodating to requests. Clean work environment. Decent training. Helpful staff. And overall decent place to work at.

Cons

gossipy employees off the bat

2. "Account Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Viking Collection Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set your own schedule, rewarded when team makes goals. Base plus commission.

Cons

People on the phone treat your poorly, if is difficult to commission,

Advice to Management

Support the workers,

"Horrible company to work for"

Current Employee - Debt Collector in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Viking Collection Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro about working at Viking is its a job

Cons

I've worked viking for 5+yrs. lots has changed. No collector makes any money, avg is about 30-35kyr

The starting base pay is 2k a month. Experienced maybe 3k if you can prove you are good. This is a commission job. If you are not meeting your goal that they make up as thry go. They will drop your base pay with no prior warning. After a while you will build up accounts that pay you every month via post dated checks. As your post dated checks increase so does your goal. They do not want to pay you for going over your goal the make it hard to commission

Management cares only about management, they do not trust there collectors, they are always watching over your should, monitoring your internet, recording personal calls. the make your own schedule is a joke, they force certain days without much prior notice that must be worked..unless you are one of the lucky few who have brown nosed long enough.

401k is a joke, only management makes enough to use it. It does have a company match of pennies on the dollar. Life insurance if you buy it dental is ok

Medical insurance is very expensive and avg at best

Vacation time--you earn 2weeks after one yr--3 weeks after 5yrs. Vacation time is a joke, if you think you can use it when you want. You have another thing coming. If you do get approval for time off. They make you feel so bad about taking time off. They will also open up your unit of collection accounts and allow other collectors to call your accounts and take them from you and being commission job that hurts

The day you decide to move on and get a better job. You will not be able to use Viking as past reference as they will not do that even if you leave on good terms

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as humans

5. "Questionable leadership"

Former Employee - Debt Collector in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Debt Collector in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Viking Collection Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clean, newer office building near I-17.

Cons

Office politics. Suck ups are favored, talent is overlooked.

Advice to Management

Management overhaul needed.

6. "A good company with high standards."

Former Employee - Account Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

Collections has come a long ways and continues to change. I saw a lot of changes at VCS even though I only worked there for a year. They treated their employees fairly and if anyone was let go they knew the reasoning behind the decisions that were being made. The managers there communicated well with employees and provided feedback. They offered base plus commission and it seemed reasonable when compared to other companies. The best part about working at VCS was that you could set your own schedule as long as you worked your required nights/weekends. The people I worked with were great, I learned a lot and now I can cross "collections" off the list of jobs that I would be fine never working again.

Cons

I was not a natural born collector so I found collections to be very challenging. When I worked there it was a base plus commission pay scheme. I guess if you had more experience your base was better, but I was new to collections and really just needed a job. I never commissioned but the goals that were set for me were attainable.. Well, a lot of people made their goals and I think I only made mine a couple times, so they weren't impossible. People swore at me a lot but that wasn't anyone's fault at Viking.

Advice to Management

I liked working for all of my managers, I thought they did a good job. They had good communication and did their best to motivate and encourage people. The Senior Leadership seemed to be friendly and fair. I was never called into the big guy's office but he knew everyone's name and was willing to talk to you.

7. "Account Representative"

Pros

- Set your own schedule.
    - Get your own cubicle.

Cons

- Lots of gossip amongst employees.
    - Rude and impatient attitude from management during training class.
    - The bonus incentives make it very difficult to achieve a decent bonus check.
    - Rude people yelling at you on the phone.
    - Horrible vacation benefits until you've been there a full year.
    - Low pay
    - Lunchroom is not up to par. Two vending machines and one coffee machine (you have to pay for your coffee every day)
    - Unfriendly work environment overall

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings, not like high school students.

8. "Terrible; Stay Away!"

I worked at Viking Collection Service full-time

Pros

When I worked here I thought it would be decent place to work. I was wrong. We treated our customer like scums, taunted them, told them they would have to pay or we would come after them. It was truly terrible, thats when I realized this place; is no place for work to be done, but to scam people.

Cons

Honestly, one of the worst places I have been too. A lot of shady business practices. Just look at our BBA complaints.

Advice to Management

Either fix your business practices or get out of business. They way you treat your customers by telling them lies is no place for returning customers, or employees.

9. "Just OK"

Former Employee - Collector
    Former Employee - Collector

Pros

Opportunity to earn 50-60 thousand. Flex schedule. Lot's of people (social opps). Health bens. Decent work environment . And decent training.

Cons

Incompetent unit managers and an antiquated relationship model with employee / employer.
    You will be treated like a criminal. Constant feeling of being watched. Management behaves as though you are an enemy to be watched, monitored and harassed.

Advice to Management

Step into the 21st century. Treat your employees like people and value their contributions. There is a reason the best collectors in the TC area are not at Viking anymore. How thickheaded do you need to be when all of your top talent leaves and goes to the same competitor.