Vocollect Reviews | Glassdoor

Allen J. Lauer

1. "Human Resources"

Former Employee - Staffing Assistant in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Staffing Assistant in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Vocollect (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Work/life balance, Commute, Management, Co-workers

Cons

Got laid off due to buy out from Honeywell

"wrecked by Honeywell - stay away"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Vocollect full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers have been great, which is one reason I've been there a long time. The work has always been interesting, and you feel like you're really helping the end customer.

Cons

Honeywell's acquisition of the business has destroyed a very profitable, wonderful place to work.

The Monroeville manufacturing plant is closing down, with all work there being sent to Mexico or China. This, after being told they could achieve "Bronze" status under the Honeywell umbrella, which they worked toward for over a year. It was all a lie, and Honeywell simply did the same thing here as at their other acquired facilities - close them, or decimate them - to cut costs.

Engineering has been divided into groups distributed throughout the world, with no common tools, goals, management, or interests. Accounts payable is now in India, with terms extended out to Net 90, 180, 270, or even 365 days - what a way to treat your suppliers. Customer service has gone to Romania - what a way to treat your customers.

Half of the workforce is gone, with more leaving every week, including key people from every department.

Quality now takes a back seat to cost, schedule, and management politics. Actually, quality isn't even on the bus anymore. It's a matter of time before our biggest customers cry out about it.

Health care benefits have plummeted while cost have skyrocketed, but the CEO says it's OK because it's all legal under Obamacare.

Many people are expected to work 16 hours a day so they can support teams in China.

The Company preaches about integrity, but does not live by it.

Advice to Management

What's the point of giving advice to this management? CEO Dave Cote is too busy lecturing the news outlets with his vast knowledge of international economics and politics, to care.

3. "Great culture... if Honeywell does not ruin it"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, inventive engineers; "ownership" culture and one of the most honest cultures I have seen; great work/life balance; interesting work that leads its field; innovations funded by a large parent

Cons

Somewhat resistant to change; competitors catching up; parent company starting to make the culture stagnant and bureaucratic; lack of marketing resources; sub-standard incentive pay

Advice to Management

Focus on a growth area and pour more resources into innovation, including rewards and recognition for innovative engineering and product management

"The good old days are gone for good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Vocollect full-time

Pros

You are part of a multi-billion dollar global company, so chances for advancement are there if you look for them and are mobile. Honeywell (who purchased Vocollect in 2013) is a stable, profitable company, and is not likely to be purchased by anyone.

Cons

Work-life balance? There is none. Volume of work requires 60+ hours per week to complete, so forget seeing your family. We used to get bonuses...now they're gone. We used to get industry-leading healthcare benefits. Now, they are the worst healthcare plan we've ever had. We used to have intelligent, thoughtful, caring leadership. Now, a bunch of drones are running the ship. The only reason I am paid well is because Vocollect paid me well; if Honeywell chose my salary, I would likely be paid HALF of my wage.

Oh, and the ever-looming prospect of having our entire manufacturing operation moved to China is very real, so any job here is not guaranteed long-term.

DO NOT WORK HERE! There are far better opportunities with far better employers!

Advice to Management

First, look at the morale of your employees! It's in the toilet! Listen to your employees! Figure out how to balance the work so that people at least have a chance of working an 8 hour day. And for God's sake, GET SOME DECENT HEALTHCARE FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES!

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Computer Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The people of Vocollect are some of the best I have ever worked with

Cons

Honeywell seem to desire to get rid of all these people as a cost savings for them. They are not taking into consideration that these people are what made Vocollect and the software and devices they produce great.

Advice to Management

The higher power at Honeywell already decided that they value money over all us. There is not much Vocollect management can do to stop the bleeding now.

"Great Company In The Past, Has Lost It's Way"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, free parking, convenient location, comfortable work facilities

Cons

Terrible transition from Intermec buyout going into Honeywell. Lots of changes in policies with little communication. Low morale leading to many employees jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Communicate better! Not communicating only compounds the problem of lack of direction, tackling business practices, and employee morale.

"Stick a fork in it"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff III in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff III in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people left. Not much stress.

Cons

Company has gone down in flames the last few years. All perks have been stripped, and wages are at a stand still. Bonuses are gone. Can't even order a pizza for a team lunch anymore.

Over the last 3 years, companywide raise of 1.5% total. Given the 2% tax cut expiration, inflation, and loss of bonuses and other perks, salary has net decreased year over year. New Honeywell management has cut vacation time, as well.

Company sales have been weak, mostly because of stagnant products. The same management who refuses to change with the times continue to be promoted to new roles to offset failing to get bonuses. They prosper while everyone else suffers.

Advice to Management

Overhaul sales and product management and get some outside the box thinkers in charge. If you want to stop the massive defection of talent, bring back meaningful raises, bonuses, and perks.

9. "Some of the best people I have ever worked with."

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, leading edge technology, industry leader developing first-of-its-kind products, casual environment, little office politics, good work / life balance, involvement in the local community.

Cons

Product development stays within narrowly defined product families. There hasn't been a 'first-of-its-kind' of product in a long time. Acquisitions have changed the company culture.

Advice to Management

Take risks.

10. "Culture has changed after acquisition(s)"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Vocollect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers who work hard to deliver great products.

Cons

The culture has changed in the last couple years. No longer a privately held company and a great deal of the charm has been lost.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the what is left of the original Vocollect culture.

"Environment was fun, uncertaintity and leadership made work stressfull"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vocollect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work schedule for most, pay isn't bad, video games available during lunch

Cons

This is from the perspective of a former employee of the health care side of the company. Things may be different on the supply chain side. There is constant uncertainty due to buyouts and lack of transparency. The health care senior leadership was very tight lipped about the future and seemed to be out for their own interests and were not looking out for the company or its employees.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your employees. The senior leadership of Vocollect/Intermec/Honeywell needs to take a good, hard look at the group leading the health care team. If the business is going to be successful there needs to be more transparency and honesty starting at the top.