WIT Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Luís Moura e Silva

"Definitely the worst job experience ever"

I worked at WIT Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very imaginative, hard working staff.
    Occasionally a brilliant mind or two within the product development teams.
    Very good facilities in Lisbon.

Cons

Awful facilities at the headquarters.
    No sense of professional management whatsoever.
    Completely egocentric management to cover own flaws and overall inferiority complex.
    Total lack of respect for the Human Resources.

Advice to Management

Stop believing you're the most qualified for every position (Administrative, Legal, HR, Finance, Sales, Product Development, Business Development, SW Engineering, etc.)
    Stop micromanaging every aspect of the company and start trusting employees.

"Growing is almost impossible in this company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)

I worked at WIT Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working conditions, good offices and a decent laptop.

I had the luck to work in some great projects and had the opportunity to learn new things and tackle large complex problems.

Cons

HR is under pressure to hire and hire, so the quality of people hired varies from under average to good. This is technical and soft skills.
    This makes it hard to have a base line when you get people on a team. One other very perilous side effect is that HR starts treating people as "Codding monkey" instead of engineers.

The gap between Upper/Middle management and the teams is enormous in terms of salary and benefits, this makes middle management present results up as:
    -This project went great because I was here to save it.
    -This project went awfully because the team sucked.

Talking of benefits. The possible benefits and bonus should be clear. They are not. There are benefits that are not public and only offered to some workers and the bonus guidelines have so many grey points that getting a bonus or not is 100% discretionary.

Advice to Management

At the anual meeting you keep telling that:
    - Company has grown with no dept only with hard work
    - Profits keep going up and up

Start sharing those profits with the ones that worked for them to happen. This will tackle the gap mentioned and make you grow.

Stop acting like Trump and fearing critics and labeling them as dissidents. There are more and more companies out there each day and if someone speaks instead of going away cherish them.

"Meh, might be good might not"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I worked at WIT Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Average salary
    - International projects

Cons

- If you end up on the wrong team, your project manager could be a pain
    - CEO doesn't reinvest enough in the company

"This could be a great place to work... But it isn't."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)

I worked at WIT Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Medical benefits;
    - game-zone (if you have time to use it);
    - nice facilities
    - free fruit

Cons

- Ridiculous time-schedules for the majority of tasks they give you. You will need many (MANY) extra-hours to get the job done in time;
    - In-existing team-spirit. Everyone will do what they can to stay above you and stay "clean" in the picture, including sabotage you (happened to me);
    - Hard to grow inside the company.

"Good conditions to work"

I have been working at WIT Software full-time

Pros

Good conditions, possible carreer, solid company, good enviorment

Cons

Depending on projects, some technologies are not up to date

"Good place to learn, but that's about it"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I worked at WIT Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with very skilled people in different areas and you get to learn a lot from them. Flexible work scheduled is a big plus, as being able to work from home from time to time.
    The team building activities were great, from soccer to cooking all the way to the snow trip.
    Good office space with free coffee and fresh fruit.

Cons

From the conversations I had with my colleagues your experience at WIT depends on what project you're in and who's your Project Manager. It can range from good place to learn and do cool things, to all the way painfull that you'd wish you'd never taken the job.
    Luckily for me, I got good projects and project managers, that's why it was a good experince where I could learn and do cool stuff.

WIT is a very hierarchical company, as many in Portugal are. If the guy at the top says "No" for whatever reason, it's "No" all the way down.
    Transparency is as clear as bottle bottom glasses lens, although they're transparent it doesn't mean you can see anything. No matter how much you make a point or express the need for change, ultimately that decision will be made by one person, which isn't directly affected by those problems, so you better get used to those types of problems not getting solved.
    HR work at the whim of the management, so their power is very much limited, although they do work hard. Wouldn't want to be them.

Raises are usually all around but the amount depends on a very non-cientifical equation, i.e., it's relative. Bonus are mythical creatures for some, reality for others, the only way you'll know is if your salary is higher than usual, but usually in those cases you'll get a phone call where someone gives you the good news. To bad no one will explain you why you didn't get one.
    Evaluations are written in stone, like the ten commandements, even if you agree with your PM some points are wrong, they won't be changed.

Getting promoted is also relative, usually you have to be really persistent and spend a few years trying to do achieve that.

For some reason you'll have to register tour work hours and if you do less than 40h a week you'll owe an explanation. No one will bother you if you do 60+ though.

Advice to Management

Saying Good Morning and Goodbye to the people in the office you visit a coupe of times a year isn't that difficult and makes all the difference. Making decisions for a company is hard, and not everyone involved will be happy, but being transparent and giving an actual reason for that decision goes a long way. Clear communication is a definite must, if people understand why decisions are made, you'll solve most of your problems.

"The worst professional experience ever"

Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)
    Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)

I worked at WIT Software (More than a year)

Pros

they give you a computer and a desk (nice!)

Cons

no established design process, no trust in the designers, no quality of work, long working hours, unnecessary pressure, tight deadlines, bulling, senior management don't have power, micro management from the CEO, HR team

Advice to Management

Encourage the CEO to go on a lifetime sabbatical

"12 reasons why you SHOULD NOT work at WIT!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coimbra, Coimbra (Portugal)

Pros

Hum... Please pay attention to the cons! It's better!
    Read them carefully!

Cons

1 - We have too many interesting projects to work on (It could be a very difficult task to choose only one.)
    2 - Our software is deployed all over the world (By the end of 2014, WIT had its software in 33 countries, working with some of the major telecommunications operators.)
    3 - We work with experts from several areas, using emerging technologies (Being part of amazing teams.)
    4 - The company has very nice facilities (Modern offices and attention to details… For example, in the beginning of Spring, we arrived at the office on Monday and found flowers on our open spaces...)
    5 - They care about you (On our birthday, they offer us a congratulations card; when we start working at the company, everyone receives an “welcome email”; we have available fresh fruit, coffee and tea at the office and labour fitness classes to avoid possible injuries in the future.)
    6 - There are many internal training courses that can fit our professional ambitions (Every month we have tech talks on interesting topics. These year they also promoted Web, Android and iOS courses.)
    7 - They organize a snow trip and other sports events like a football and volleyball competition on the beach or radical activities (Always on a very informal and funny environment, where team building really happens.)
    8 - The company shares relevant information and promotes some internal parties to celebrate our main achievements (Isn’t it important?)
    9 - At WIT, our ideas count! (We have specific events to present our ideas and personal projects.)
    10 - They challenge us everyday (“Impossible” is a forbidden word at WIT.)
    11 - The company tries to help us as much as possible (Even when we are talking about personal problems.)
    12 - They listen to us! (WIT asks for feedback in order to improve its processes.)

Advice to Management

Go on like that! WIT is not only a software company, it's also a place where we feel good and proud of what we do. There's no price for these feelings! Congrats!

"Top Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a dynamic, young spirited and highly qualified company. WIT works not only for the world but also for its employees! It's growying every day, but still has a cosy and friendly atmosphere. Everything here is about keeping employees and costumers happy. Coperation, quality and professionalism are the key words.

Cons

As confortable as it feels in the offices, we still have to work hard to keep up the company's growth! The goods news is that if you work well, you also have the opportunity to develop and grow professionally.

Advice to Management

I think it's ready to expand to other cities!

"The best 2 years of my Working Life"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WIT Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clients all over the world: Europe, Asia, Africa and USA. I know my code might be in the hands of people all over the world.
    I’ve been working at WIT Software for the last 2 years. Since then, I’ve worked with 2 different Project managers. I’ve learnt more in one month than one year in my previous company. From time to time, there are some tech talks given by us to our colleagues sharing the knowledge we have and we created at WIT. That’s just great!
    It's a cool environment, full of events and good people to work with!

Cons

Since we work for operators, Wit’s name is never in the news when a new product is launched. Sometimes I would like to see my products on the news.

Advice to Management

Keep up the speed. It's fantastic to go along with someone who knows where they're going to and what they're doing.