WestPoint Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greg McRoberts

"Good place to start and learn"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WestPoint Financial full-time

Pros

The training program that they put you through is top notch.

Cons

You are assigned to a sales team and depending on who you are assigned to it can have a positive or negative impact on your development and experience there.

"Not a formula for success."

Former Employee - Advisor in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Advisor in Peoria, IL

I worked at WestPoint Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MassMutual is very solid financial institution.

Cons

Success is always just out of reach.

Advice to Management

Develop new advisors. Lead.

"High Level Training and Mentorship"

Current Employee - Financial Planner
    Current Employee - Financial Planner

Pros

WestPoint Financial Group offers a quality training and mentorship program. Team work and readiness of the staff to help each other succeed is top of the line. Each person in the office shows respect to one another creating an enjoyable and professional work environment.

Cons

Location of the office isn't ideal, but as the construction wraps up over the years it will become a prime spot.

"An organization that treats you as family"

I have been working at WestPoint Financial full-time

Pros

This organization treats every employee as a part of a family. That is what I love about coming to work, everyone has fun, gets along and treats everyone with respect and as a part of a collective team. Recognition is given when earned and everyone is always in a positive and happy mood around the office. The family environment that is at WPFG would be hard to recreate anywhere else.

Cons

At times, the break room can be hard to find a seat to for lunch with the large number of staff and employees looking to catch up and hang out for a midday break.

"Great people to work with"

I have been working at WestPoint Financial full-time

Pros

The culture and those I work with is what I enjoy the most. It truly is the people that make WestPoint what it is.

Cons

Afraid as we grow that some of the positive culture aspects will decline.

7. "Voted "Best Places to Work" in Indiana, for good reason"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WestPoint Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structured, continuous training program. Training is the best in the business. If you truly take advantage of all that's in place to get started, you will likely succeed. Tough industry to break into, but if you're a good fit for the industry, this is the company you want to be with. 100% open door policy, joint-work is very helpful, especially for the inexperienced, tons of growth opportunities, and the company culture makes everyday fun coming into work. Managers are easily accessible and more than willing to stop what they're doing to help. Couldn't ask for a better place to start my practice straight out of college.

Cons

Industry in general can be challenging if it's not the right career path for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Not an easy business to get into"

Pros

Upper-management is willing to help and guide you for quite some time. If you sell insurance, and lots of it, then you will make good money. Allows you to make your own schedule.

Cons

If you don't have a lot of connections that need life insurance, you will go without making money for weeks. In the end, if you hate it and leave, it doesn't affect the company because they'll make money off of whoever you brought into the company circle through your initial sales.

Advice to Management

Find better ways of helping new professionals to grow their network of potential clients instead of just relying on family referrals.

"The Highest Highs, but Mostly the Lowest Lows"

Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WestPoint Financial (Less than a year)

Pros

-The information that is offered to you is extremely beneficial in the sales world and your personal life.
    -The opportunity to make a lot of money is there.
    -The office is relaxed, fun, and the people that work here are always full of energy and fun to be around.
    -The sales commission makes it so there is no cap as to how much money you can make
    -Talking and meeting with people everyday while trying to help them with their financial needs is a nice aspect for those who want to help people, but don't want to go into health care.

Cons

-As far as the internship goes, the day consists of mostly meetings in the morning that usually do not pertain to you individually. This time could be better used for prospecting, meeting with potential clients, and calling to set up appointments with prospects.
    -This job is commission only, for interns there is a stipend of $1,200 for 12 weeks ($100/week). The $100 dollars/week barely pays for gas and food, let alone any social activities like going to the bars or going golfing. Needless to say, even with me sometimes saving $20/week, I am living farther and farther below the poverty line.
    -This industry is difficult and requires a lot of luck and timing for the most part. If the timing isn't right for the summer that you intern here, then there is a high chance you won't make any money at all. If the time isn't right you'll hear, "This isn't a good time" a thousand times. If you're lucky, you'll be timed just right where you will be successful early.
    -For being a business that thrives for client to advisor relations, they don't do a very good job of developing good relations for interns considering the rate at which people quit is relatively high and the majority, except one or two out of 20 interns a summer, do not actually enjoy working for this company because of the money that isn't there.
    -WestPoint does not compensate or assist with housing if you're not from the area. So, along with paying for gas, food, an other social activities, you also have to pay for and find your own housing. After this internship I was in actually more debt than I was when I started because in order to pay for things I found that I needed to use my credit card instead of my debit card because the money just wasn't there. The idea behind the $1,200 stipend is to motivate the interns to go out and bring on clients. However, I found that this had the opposite effect because I was so focused on my money issues that I found myself being unproductive in terms of my business.

Advice to Management

You have to increase the stipend. Some may think that the $1,200 stipend is motivating us to make money, in contrast, it's actually discourages our efforts if we see that there is no business to be had with anyone that we know. The reason companies have internships is to show off their business and build employee-employer relations. However, this internship had the opposite effect on most people. This internship actually hurt me instead of helping.

10. "Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WestPoint Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice swanky hip office.

Cons

Everything else. A full ninety percent that are recruited in will fail. They do not really care because they will make money off whatever you do sell and when you leave due to making almost nothing, they will replace you. They have eight full time recruiters who sole jobs is to bring in live bodies. It is non stop. Management and very few others make big bucks, everyone thrives on the false idea that they will make it to the big bucks but wind up starving, only after they exhausted all their savings. No real training to speak of, zero help with market development, no leads for anyone but the long established. Run, run very fast away from this model, there are better ones out there you just have to do the research.

Advice to Management

Try truly caring about every person you bring in. Talk is cheap, actions and results illustrates true concern for your people.

11. "Westpoint"

Pros

Very good if you are very motivated and willing to step out of your comfort zone to make sales to your clients.

Cons

As an account executive your income is strictly commission based, no base salary guaranteed, thus making income in the first couple of years is rather difficult

Advice to Management

Make training and partnerships with new employees and senior management last longer so that the new employees can start on and have better footing.