Wiley Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Wiley President & CEO Mark Allin
Mark Allin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life balance of a 35 hour full time work week is great (in 141 reviews)

• Good benefits and smart employees (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement and a sense that there is no support from senior management (in 16 reviews)

• Especially credibility of upper management (in 33 reviews)

1. "Great experiece"

I have been working at Wiley full-time

Pros

Opportunity if you put yourself out there and prove your capable

Cons

Demanding pace but can balance work/life

Advice to Management

Walk the halls; hear what your employees have to say

2. "A great culture and a noble mission, threatened by change."

I have been working at Wiley full-time

Pros

Wiley loves its people and by and large treats them well. Good, compassionate leadership on the whole. Wiley has a clear vision of where they need to be as a digital knowledge and learning provider.

Cons

The disruption in higher ed and publishing has taken a toll, though Wiley has weathered the storm so far, layoff have been painful and technology transformation continues to pose challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the hard stuff you need to do, but don't forget what makes Wiley a great place to work and a leading global brand!

3. "Contact specialist"

I have been working at Wiley full-time

Pros

Generous time off and benefits

Cons

Difficult to promote from within

Advice to Management

Promote your employees instead of hiring from the outside.

4. "Lucked into a great team!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wiley has the same work week hours and days off when you first start as the people of Denmark. Denmark has been ranked as the happiest place on earth by several international polls, due to their work/life balance. In an American company, it is so refreshing to find a company that believes you need a personal life, and gives you the time off to have it.

I also have lucked into a team that has been so welcoming and supportive. I have a great supervisor and am excited about being part of my team.

Cons

I don't feel like there is enough collaboration within our team. Everyone works pretty independently. I feel more team reviews of work would encourage conversation and bring about even better and stronger ideas.

The office is located in a suburban office park out in a field. No walkability to anything. It would be so great to be located within the city.

Advice to Management

Wiley reimburses college tuition which is fantastic. I would love to see a policy that opens the doors to some of the code schools and boot camps that don't fall into the category of a college but are great training for these skills at a lower cost.

5. "Extraordinary Place to Work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Wiley's Partner Care team for over 15 years. Employees are treated with respect and dignity. The culture in the Minneapolis office is second to nowhere I have worked in my career. A great group of people and a fun place to work.

Cons

With a rapid pace for product development, it is somewhat of a challenge to keep customer facing employees up to speed.

Advice to Management

NA

6. "For instability, apply here. Lots of changes in leadership teams. No more performance-based raises."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits here are decent, and paid time off is great. The discount on books was nice. Very old company!

Cons

Lots of changes in leadership teams. No more performance-based raises. Not as transparent as they claim. Lack of training. Lack of follow-thru on career planning.

Advice to Management

Keep your people informed!

7. "It used to be the "place to be""

Current Employee - Account Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work - life balance
    Many nice and talented people

Cons

Too many changes in the last five years and we are now back at square one expecting the new change which seems like it would be return to where we were a few years ago.
    Disconnection between management and the rest of the company.
    No growth opportunity.
    No responsibility for actions.
    No rewards for hard working individuals
    Too complicated organizational structure with many, many VPs
    Most of the mid-managers should not be managers or the training should be provided to them
    HR implemented procedures and PA system so we can be paid based on performance and yet no pay based on performance
    Reduction of bonuses announced
    No salary increases or very minimal if any
    In the last few months, Wiley has turned into "policing" company

Advice to Management

I don't disagree that a big cleanup in needed at all levels, but especially management level as we have become very top heavy and another course needs to be taken. I am hopeful that the new management team will listen more and be able to execute what they say they would and not fail like the previous one did.
    Reward hard working individuals and give them more credit then what you do now or you will be seriously at lost as many of those talented hardworking colleagues are now looking for the new jobs as they are tired of hoping that things will get better. Make Wiley again place to be as this is what has set us apart from our competitors and help us grow in previous decades (and centuries)

8. "Just alright"

Pros

Free lunches, Laptops, fun office environment

Cons

Lack of direction, lack of communication with other offices, too much personal drama

"Great work-life balance, but no mobility and no longer the place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Production Editor in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Production Editor in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The hours are great and flexible, and they are encouraging us to work from home more. People are getting approvals to work remotely either part-time or exclusively. They are offering lots of online courses for professional development. Also we get lots of vacation time--about 30 days. Hoboken is also a great location to work, especially in the spring and summer because of the pier. They are giving out spot bonuses, but it seems that is only for really extraordinary accomplishments, which there are not many opportunities to achieve. (See cons below.)

Cons

They've downgraded our medical benefits, and the raise system is now based on your salary compared to the rest of the market rather than standard of living or performance. Also, for as many online courses they have for professional development, since they have outsourced a lot of the work to third parties, there are not many opportunities to learn on the job and promotions and moves into different departments seem hard to come by. Also in the research division, the organization is very hierarchical and the mid-level managers get to work on the influential projects whereas production editors are just paper pushers with no real influence. Lastly, when discussing the future of the company, a lot of the focus was on managers rather than all employees.

10. "Great benefits/ ongoing reorganization"

Former Employee - Editor
    Former Employee - Editor

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salaries, benefits, terrific colleagues for the most part

Cons

Going through a global reorganization and downsizing as they choose new core business focus

Advice to Management

Make certain systems are in place to support your clients before you reorganize. Clients/customers deserve more.