Wiley Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Brian Napack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance and salary" (in 160 reviews)

• "Good benefits and smart employees" (in 45 reviews)

1. "great experience"

Pros

Great work environment, wonderful people

Cons

Was going through restructuring, was there at a transitionary time

"Fake it until you make it."

I worked at Wiley full-time

Pros

If you are committed, creative with both soft and technical skills, you can succeed. You must be able to do more, with less.

Cons

Top to bottom re-orgs 3 years running. The Leadership Team is not investing in strengthening the sales division. They are elusive as to the direction of the company and the finance team is not able to accurately track sales.
    They spend 2.5 months finalizing sales numbers and do not provide sales goals until the 11th hour. Meanwhile, they are investing in our ratings. Are they preparing to
    sell the College division?

Advice to Management

Provide a vision, and a solid foundation for success.
    Take more accountability for your lack of competence.

Jul 16, 2018 – Director

You point out something that I think is worth stressing; that there area lot of opportunities to succeed, especially for those with a combination of skills and creativity. However, I'm sorry that you... More

"No longer "the place to be""

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of vacation days and management is accommodating to needing personal time off. Good comradery and effective management in my department (but certainly not all departments).

Cons

Constant downsizing and outsourcing, plus the lack of raises last year, have killed morale. Managers were moved from a 35-hour work week to a normal 40-hour work week (and expected to be available at home) with NO compensation for the extra hours and NO raise. Wiley is more interested in saving money by outsourcing and axing employees than ensuring quality and efficiency. Trimming the fat is understandable, but getting rid of qualified employees and sending their jobs to poorly trained temps and contractors (who have absolutely no loyalty to Wiley) or lesser qualified employees is shooting ourselves in the foot. Meanwhile, there is no shortage of VPs around here. Recent changes to procedures have made many processes more convoluted and time-consuming. I spend most of my day being frustrated and aggravated. In an effort to be more "modern," upper management rushes to embrace new technologies and processes without properly testing them or getting user input. The latest brainstorm is to post critical information for employees on a Facebook-like site. I feel like I work for a social club instead of a corporation. Maybe I'm just a grumpy baby-boomer, but that's another issue -- many people here over 50 don't feel valued or feel like we fit in anymore. But that's OK, because our severance papers are on their way.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to employees and make QUALITY a priority.

Jun 21, 2018 – Director

There is a lot going on in this review and no way for me to address it all but I want to thank you for taking a moment to try and express your frustration. One thing I would like to stress is that... More

"Quality Products, Good Culture, but needs to take it to the next level."

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working at Wiley and hope to retire here one day. This job is what you make of it. I love the ability to be creative and use my strengths without being micro-managed. Personally, I have an amazing team of people I work with and we inspire and motivate each other to be great at our job and impact the world we live in. We are real, genuine and hardworking.

Cons

Things can move to slow and top leadership is not as communicative. Sales could do such much more but sometimes the leadership from above is very quiet and the right people are not hired for critical positions.

Advice to Management

To trust your sales teams and be involved with developing the vision and listening to what our competition is doing and take into consideration what resources we need to be successful.

Jul 2, 2018 – Director

You're right! Having the right team, and the right leadership, is a critical part of what makes the workplace effective and satisfying. Sounds like you have a great team! We'll do our best to keep... More

"Good culture, decent benefits, great quality of life, and a great mission"

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We're in the business of knowledge and learning - what could be more important than that. Great quality of life. Decent-enough benefits. Kind people. Feels like good momentum with new CEO. Steady business performance and steady compensation.

Cons

Performance is mixed, strategy is a bit unclear, feels like management team is disconnected, feels like they can do a better job fostering community. A bit of a passive aggressive culture.

Advice to Management

Connect with the average employee. Memorize as many names as you can. Celebrate more. More events, more connection. It's not about communication...it's about authentic connection. Communication on its own is insincere. Want to communicate...start talking in the elevator. Don't lose the quality of life benefit. That goes much further towards retention and hiring than people realize. Give senior execs 3 stars (below) but they can get to 4-5 if they can connect much better within the organization and bring more sincerity and candor to the mix.

Jun 21, 2018 – Director

This is fantastic and not enough can be said about our mission; helping people all over the world develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed! That's worth remembering. In the meantime... More

6. "Professional and Team-Oriented"

Current Employee - Trademark Administrator in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Trademark Administrator in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a current part-time employee at Wiley and I can only report good things. My supervisor, superiors, coworkers and support staff are all extremely professional, hard-working and courteous, and there's a strong sense of camaraderie on our team and in our department. The benefits I receive for part-time work are excellent. No complaints.

Cons

I don't have any valid "cons" to post.

Jul 2, 2018 – Director

What a great review! Thanks! We tend to think that they people that work at Wiley are everything you just said as well!

"Great company with room to grow"

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, generous vacation time, super supportive of work-life balance, great colleagues, lots of opportunity for career development.

The company is making a shift toward being more transparent on it's strategy and improving internal communication, which is helping the company gain real traction to achieving those strategies. While there are still some silos, they're breaking down, fast.

Cons

It's a competitive industry undergoing serious changes and Wiley is a large company trying to move in a fast-paced world.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and keep it real. Remember that it's not just about you being there for us; it's also about letting us be there for you.

Jul 2, 2018 – Director

You're right, having a good work-life balance is such an important part of creating a supportive work environment. I'm glad you find that Wiley does a good job at helping people maintain that... More

"Manager, HR"

I have been working at Wiley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wiley has a great "family" kind of culture. I've been a consultant for a lot of large Fortune 500 companies, and for a public, global company this kind of culture is very rare. It is warm, unassuming, welcoming. Room to grow, lots of good development programs on the horizon.

Some people say it's no longer what it used to be - and that's great! If a hundred-year old company is always "what it used to be", then the business will fall behind. We will no longer be relevant. People will no longer have jobs, let alone a good bonus.

The industry is changing, and so is Wiley. We are holding people to higher levels of performance, and rightfully so. But there is also good reward. Wiley has one of the most comprehensive healthcare benefits I've ever seen. Personally I have 31 vacation days a year. So many discounts offered to employees - including free entry all year round to MoMA and the Frick Collection. Great 401K match. We offer "flex dollars" to count towards our healthcare premium. Amazing chef for lunch (discounted for emplyees at 8%) in our cafeteria every day (ex- Jimmy Fallon show and SNL).

We care about the younger folks - Generation Wiley is a group that hosts talks, events throughout the year. Whether you're a millennial or just wants to share thoughts, you're welcome.

Cons

A company in transformation. As everything moves to be more digital, publishing needs to now "pivot" to stay relevant. That means new skill sets, changes in leadership, new ways of working that sometimes may feel uncomfortable. Nobody likes change, but those who can adapt to change are the ones who will succeed in the future of work. It takes an open mind and a willingness to get your hands dirty, to succeed in this kind of environment. If you're up to this challenge, and want to learn a lot in the process, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing the bigger vision. Find powerful ways to tell the story and our journey. Over communicate, over communicate, over communicate. This is the most important way to bring people along. Don't just "check the box" when it comes to your announcements and town halls. Put yourself into the shoes of the "user" - what do our colleagues really want to know? what really is the elephant in the room? There is one thing to be measured, but another to be candid.

Jul 2, 2018 – Director

You are right about the need for transformation and the potential discomfort that can create. However, as you said, it's ultimately positive for the company and the people. Which is why maintaining... More

"Poised for takeoff - but let's make sure the landing gear is excellent!"

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Wiley is determined to evolve in order to be a competitive company for another 100 years. A strong balance sheet and continued Wiley family involvement mean it is likely to survive where smaller and less stable businesses will fail.
    - Wiley is experimenting and so a good place to share ideas and try new things.
    - Wiley attracts smart people, many with an academic bent, which matches well with our customers. In general, Wiley employees work hard and are almost all are interested in creating a sustainable future that meets market needs.
    - The people here, on the whole, are also nice to work with and kind. We do not generally suffer self-interested egos.

Cons

- Changes in executive leadership - coupled with frequent restructuring across the business as Wiley tries to define its future - leave many staff confused about priorities and struggling to stay motivated.
    - Many departments are arguably understaffed, which means core services suffer and employees have trouble taking the time to stay abreast of policy decisions, workflow changes, and strategic initiatives. This problem also contributes to the lack of resource needed to manage programs well and experiment soundly.

Advice to Management

- We have a great likelihood of being market and thought leaders for the next generation. The current leadership and Board of Directors have made smart decisions and I expect will bear out as prescient. Stay the course and keep investing in the people who will help make our future!
    - It is increasingly difficult to defend the frequent cuts in benefits, particularly when companies in adjacent businesses provide more progressive perks. While health care in the US (as an example) is not a problem for Wiley to solve alone, Wiley should be doing more to help US employees better manage costs and services for this critical benefit. As a whole, the benefit and talent management systems and processes globally are significantly less well managed now and a frequent source of pain and trouble for employees (that takes time and attention away from their jobs and directs their anger - fair or not - at Wiley).

Jul 2, 2018 – Director

I couldn't agree more! The people here at Wiley are smart, nice to work with, and interested in creating a sustainable future. Wiley employees are one of the companies greatest assets! Thanks for the... More

"Welcoming working environment that values professional growth"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wiley encourages employee collaboration and continued professional learning with competitive compensation and benefits. Pleasant working conditions offering products with integrity and respected customer service.

Cons

This is a very competitive business requiring creative business strategies. This in turn requires employees to embrace change and constantly learning new things. These are precipitated by ever changing market needs and the challenges of evolving technologies.

Advice to Management

Be aware of the importance of keeping Wiley a well known and trusted company to new and upcoming generations.

Jun 21, 2018 – Director

You're ten+ years in and still feeling strong! High five! You're advice is perfect, the importance of keeping Wiley a known, respected, and trusted company is of the utmost importance!