Wiley Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wiley President & CEO Mark Allin
Mark Allin

Pros
  • Work Life balance of a 35 hour full time work week is great (in 139 reviews)

• Good benefits and smart employees (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement and a sense that there is no support from senior management (in 16 reviews)

• Especially credibility of upper management (in 33 reviews)

1. "Good working atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Low-key place to work. People are very nice. Generous bonus program (for publishing).

Cons

Struggling to find themselves. Constant reorgs over the last few years.

"Digital Learning Consultant"

Current Employee - Digital Learning Consultant in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Digital Learning Consultant in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family owned, small company feel for the size of the company.

Cons

The leadership of the company is not prepared for the digital transformation of the industry.

3. "Good, Important Work, great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Wiley full-time

Pros

Honestly, I don't understand the negative reviews except to say that the job and opportunities are based on what you deliver, along with a positive attitude. There are a few people in the office that just won't ever be happy, and it has nothing to do with the company - and I feel sorry for them.. The work is very interesting, and there are lots of opportunities to get involved in projects, collaboration or community events.. The people are fantastic (and most love their job), the wage is solid, and the benefits are great (based on experience with many other companies). There are plenty of opportunities to meet people and get involved in community service or fun days.

Cons

There's a lot of change happening. Work loads feel heavy right now. Promotions don't come as often as they did in the past. Location (Oak Brook) isn't great for people who live in Chicago.

Advice to Management

Management is always listening and interested in hearing ideas on how things can improve, then they implement when they can. That says a lot, and should continue.

5. "Metamorphosis"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Wiley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous time off. High quality content/products.

Cons

Going through many cycles of restructuring.

"Not the worst, but if you have other options take them"

Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some fun and creative people. I am paid competitively. In fact it's been hard to get interviews elsewhere because of the great salary.

Cons

Management and leadership are lacking. People that are great leaders end up finding other work. The company takes it as a point of pride not to backfill the position.

Project management? Nonexistent. Teams are expected to report up to PDs who require task dates, contingencies, escalation paths, etc. yet the company does not provide us with software to track our work. We are using EXCEL.

Management says they want the team to have more time to be creative and do new things. Then they overload you with projects. As far as I can tell, there is no system in place to determine who gets which project--it's a matter of knowing when to say "no" when asked to work on projects. Which is bad management if you ask me, especially if you're not staffed up to deal with attrition.

The department had a reorg but everyone is unclear on how it's supposed to work in practice. Systems are put in place without evaluating how people can/will use them which results in more confusion and additional work.

I could go on but it's exhausting. I think you get the gist.

Advice to Management

Get better leaders in place. Fill some of those specialist positions that were left open when the awesome people left.

""WAS" a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Above average benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Poor management.
    Poor product quality.
    The company is a shell of what it use to be.

Advice to Management

Very sad to see how the company changed from being a fun and energetic place to work to being a very stressful and empty job.

"Wonderful Wiley!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Awesome benefits (especially if you're in a grade 10 and above level). Pleasant atmosphere and great products. Focus is on digital but company is based on being in the publishing industry for over 200 years. 7th generation family owned...not a lot of companies can say that today! Work Life balance of a 35 hour full time work week is great.

Cons

Most in indy office report to managers at corporate level in Hoboken. Day-to-Day interactions are not seen by those managers which takes away from building camaraderie and isolates teams more.

Advice to Management

Keep the Digital progress moving forward but listen to ALL employee feedback. Don't forget our books history. Books will be around forever.

"Senior management is flawed and lacks integrity, transparency, and cannot innovate."

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart colleagues. I love the people I work with at my my department and enjoy the community events. But a company is not just about events and fun days. Having a sundae bar is not a replacement for actually investing in your employees and giving them things like professional development.

My immediate manager/manager above is great. However, they they have little power to do much. Beyond that, it's is a sea of individuals with little integrity and ability to lead.

Wiley is governed by people of very little integrity, poor leadership skills, and people who lead in a reactionary way without communicating their true intentions.

Cons

Cheapest employer I have ever worked for. And I have worked for nonprofits. Wiley will not reimburse for software that I need to do my job. The best people are overloaded with work. The mediocre workers aren't.

They are trying to be innovative but they will never succeed in being innovative. The key to being innovative is by actually caring about your people and investing in them and giving time to innovative. Oh, and give them tools to innovative. Not turning everything into some productivity/efficiency circus. Also hiring people who can create things that are innovative.

Wiley will never say no to the requests of the partner schools. If you are ok in this set up (without the tools, resources, and people to the job), you'll like it here.

Advice to Management

Invest in professional development and training. - don't make them compete for mentors or regular PD. just provide it to the.
    Don't treat people like they are disposable.
    Give your employees the tools they need to succeed
    Many of your best employees will leave in 2017. Give them the resources to succeed.
    Don't set employees up to fail.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the benefits, PTO,

Cons

Stress level, lack of clear communication

Advice to Management

Wiley has the potential of being an amazing place to work. Unfortunately, management does not communicate with clear expectations and expectations are not aligned company wide for the same position. Training is inconsistent or non-existent depending on when you begin.

"Senior Program Manager"

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, 100% tuition reimbursement, casual dress code

Cons

Limited employee growth opportunities, increased competition, limited investment in technology and resources