X-Rite Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 7, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Ron Voigt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It's all about the people and culture"

I have been working at X-Rite full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and culture at X-Rite are great. The focus on continuous improvement and problem solving provides the opportunity for employees to really make a positive difference. Good work/life balance where we are encouraged to "disconnect" on evenings, weekends and vacations.

Cons

Occasional high stress. Positive atmosphere is inconsistent.

2. "Lab Tech"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at X-Rite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent. Benefits are good. HR seems to do alot to keep employees happy (life isn't all about work after all).

Cons

Boring position. Not advertised by HR properly. Slow training process.

Advice to Management

Adjust training schedule per employee.

Aug 15, 2017

Thank you for the 4-star review!
    We encourage all associates to keep their manager informed of specific training needs and progress during weekly and/or monthly 1:1 meetings. We also suggest... More

3. "Great company, great team"

I have been working at X-Rite full-time

Pros

Nice environment. I've worked at 8 different companies during a 30 year career, and X-Rite has been the best. The vast majority of the people across the company care deeply about their customers and the company. There is a lot of focus on continuous improvement that is employee led (as opposed to a pushed down from the top). Management really believes in the company's mission, vision and values.

Cons

Communication between teams in the company has gotten better over the years, but can still be improved.

Jul 20, 2017 – VP HR

Thanks for the review!

"Not worth it..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at X-Rite full-time

Pros

Easy going Sales Reps!
    Cafeteria!
    Interesting "industry"

Cons

Too many "clock watching" employees.
    People in management/leadership positions lacking experience.
    Lack of training, devlopment and mentorship.

Advice to Management

I would suggest cleaning house and hiring people who are qualified, but also hiring management/supervisory staff with previous management experience. I would also recommend providing your employees with reviews (30, 60, and 90 days) to see their progress, and find areas to work on/improve.

Jun 5, 2017 – VP HR

Hi - thanks for the feedback, I'd like to understand more of the specifics behind your comments if you would like to share, please email HR.

In our associate engagement survey, people give high... More

"I like it here right now"

I have been working at X-Rite full-time

Pros

The people I work with.

Cons

None right now to mention

Mar 13, 2017 – VP HR

Thank you for posting!

"No Work/life balance, and cliquish groups"

I have been working at X-Rite full-time

Pros

It's a salary and a job.

Cons

No work/life balance, and not enough hours in the day to get it all done. I worked 10+ hours and weekends yet it wasn't enough or appreciated. Upper management was highly demanding however the metrics their tracking are not achievable. Company is all about the $, not people. A good tip, keep to yourself as the company culture is very unstable with throwing people under the bus, and slander to HR. This seemed to be the norm to involve HR, and I was told by several that had been in the company for years - don't trust anyone as there are no real friends there. X-Rite is not who they used to be years back 10 years ago. You will notice cliquish groups gossiping and not working however this is very normal to X-Rite however unprofessional and misguided.

Advice to Management

Focus on work/life balance, company culture, treat people as more than just how much you can get out of them.

Mar 28, 2017 – VP HR

We're a hard working organization, but the continuous improvement culture is one that focuses on finding ways to improve processes which means that we're usually looking for ways to work smarter, not... More

"Ex employee after 17.5 years."

Former Employee - Service Technician in Greenville, MI
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Greenville, MI

I worked at X-Rite (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a good company to work for before the Danaher merger. Most people were good to work with and for.

Cons

All employees being treated as a number. If you have a high income be prepared to be laid off. Only the people in there 20's are being promoted to higher positions. Management not willing to do mentor ships to advance with the company.

Advice to Management

Start treating people as people with dignity and respect. If someone is willing to move up in the company there needs to be a formal training plan for this to happen.

Sep 14, 2016 – VP HR

Not quite sure how to respond to this one, this just isn't factual. I encourage candidates to apply and check us out for yourself.

Being part of Danaher allows us to have exceptional career... More

"Post Danaher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at X-Rite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very focused, strong management, deep pockets. After struggling after two major acquisitions both finanancially and operationally being purchased by Danaher has helped the company in many ways

Cons

The con of the Danaher acquisition is its all about DBS their distinct implementation of the Toyota way. Unfortunately this doesn't always work so smoothly.

Apr 11, 2016 – VP HR

Continuously improving our skills in DBS is key to using it more smoothly. We've made great progress in the past 3 years of being a Danaher company. For others reading this, you can see a brief... More

"Friendly and nice people"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at X-Rite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company based in Grand Rapids has some of the nicest people you will ever meet that work there. Coworkers are very loyal and there is a good work ethic with management.

Cons

As the company got larger there were a lot of chiefs and not a lot of people that could make things happen with out going through a lot of bureaucracy. Slow moving not able to shift on a dime.

Advice to Management

Less meetings where nothing is accomplished and more doing!

Apr 11, 2016 – VP HR

Thanks for the review. The collaborative, problem solving culture helps us work together to make things happen. Continually working on make sure that people have input and involvement in... More

"Kentwood Engineering"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Kentwood, MI

I worked at X-Rite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work is technically challenging and can provide you with some great satisfaction in making some pretty cool products, You can choose to work your tail off for this company or you can simply coast through you career there. And you'll be rewarded with exactly the same advancement opportunities and mediocre raises either way!

Cons

Front line management doesn't have the ability to initiate or make necessary changes or enforce current rules. Most managers above that level don't have the time or concern to help. Just make the Danaher-initiated numbers; it's a common theme. But when we made the numbers, the company didn't share (enough) with the employees. I took a greater than 20% raise to go to my new company and perform almost the same tasks as X-Rite was unwilling to pay me for.

Advice to Management

Stop posting that , "it's a high performance culture that pays for performance," and actually reward the employees who put forth the extraordinary efforts. Pay a competitive wage and get rid of the driftwood. They're the ones floating with the stream. ;) There were so many rounds of layoffs over the past seven years that had me shaking my head and frequently asking, "How did (s)he make it when they let go of <_____>?" Notice that I said "they" as it never felt like (as a producer in this company) I was a member of the collective team; that's sad.

Jan 5, 2016 – VP HR

Congratulations on your new opportunity. Without knowing the specifics of your situation it's hard to comment, but overall it really is a high performance culture with rewards that correlate with... More