X-Rite Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron Voight

1. "Post Danaher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at X-Rite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very focused, strong management, deep pockets. After struggling after two major acquisitions both finanancially and operationally being purchased by Danaher has helped the company in many ways

Cons

The con of the Danaher acquisition is its all about DBS their distinct implementation of the Toyota way. Unfortunately this doesn't always work so smoothly.

Apr 11, 2016 – VP HR

Continuously improving our skills in DBS is key to using it more smoothly. We've made great progress in the past 3 years of being a Danaher company. For others reading this, you can see a brief ... More

2. "Not worth it..."

I worked at X-Rite full-time

Pros

Easy going Sales Reps!
    Cafeteria!
    Interesting "industry"

Cons

Too many "clock watching" employees.
    People in management/leadership positions lacking experience.
    Lack of training, devlopment and mentorship.

Advice to Management

I would suggest cleaning house and hiring people who are qualified, but also hiring management/supervisory staff with previous management experience. I would also recommend providing your employees with reviews (30, 60, and 90 days) to see their progress, and find areas to work on/improve.

Jun 5, 2017 – VP HR

Hi - thanks for the feedback, I'd like to understand more of the specifics behind your comments if you would like to share, please email HR. In our associate engagement survey, people give high ... More

"Ex employee after 17.5 years."

Former Employee - Service Technician in Greenville, MI
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Greenville, MI

I worked at X-Rite (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a good company to work for before the Danaher merger. Most people were good to work with and for.

Cons

All employees being treated as a number. If you have a high income be prepared to be laid off. Only the people in there 20's are being promoted to higher positions. Management not willing to do mentor ships to advance with the company.

Advice to Management

Start treating people as people with dignity and respect. If someone is willing to move up in the company there needs to be a formal training plan for this to happen.

Sep 14, 2016 – VP HR

Not quite sure how to respond to this one, this just isn't factual. I encourage candidates to apply and check us out for yourself. Being part of Danaher allows us to have exceptional career ... More

4. "Friendly and nice people"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at X-Rite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company based in Grand Rapids has some of the nicest people you will ever meet that work there. Coworkers are very loyal and there is a good work ethic with management.

Cons

As the company got larger there were a lot of chiefs and not a lot of people that could make things happen with out going through a lot of bureaucracy. Slow moving not able to shift on a dime.

Advice to Management

Less meetings where nothing is accomplished and more doing!

Apr 11, 2016 – VP HR

Thanks for the review. The collaborative, problem solving culture helps us work together to make things happen. Continually working on make sure that people have input and involvement in ... More

"Kentwood Engineering"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Kentwood, MI

I worked at X-Rite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work is technically challenging and can provide you with some great satisfaction in making some pretty cool products, You can choose to work your tail off for this company or you can simply coast through you career there. And you'll be rewarded with exactly the same advancement opportunities and mediocre raises either way!

Cons

Front line management doesn't have the ability to initiate or make necessary changes or enforce current rules. Most managers above that level don't have the time or concern to help. Just make the Danaher-initiated numbers; it's a common theme. But when we made the numbers, the company didn't share (enough) with the employees. I took a greater than 20% raise to go to my new company and perform almost the same tasks as X-Rite was unwilling to pay me for.

Advice to Management

Stop posting that , "it's a high performance culture that pays for performance," and actually reward the employees who put forth the extraordinary efforts. Pay a competitive wage and get rid of the driftwood. They're the ones floating with the stream. ;) There were so many rounds of layoffs over the past seven years that had me shaking my head and frequently asking, "How did (s)he make it when they let go of <_____>?" Notice that I said "they" as it never felt like (as a producer in this company) I was a member of the collective team; that's sad.

Jan 5, 2016 – VP HR

Congratulations on your new opportunity. Without knowing the specifics of your situation it's hard to comment, but overall it really is a high performance culture with rewards that correlate with ... More

"Engineering"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caledonia, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caledonia, MI

I worked at X-Rite (More than 8 years)

Pros

it was close to home, for the most part there were talented, skilled workers

Cons

in some cases management did not care about the employees, although they would say they do.

Jan 5, 2016 – VP HR

The people are very talented and skilled. We do an annual employee survey and the feedback on managers is generally very good. Management engages in action planning and improvements in any areas ... More

"Engineering Director"

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at X-Rite (More than 5 years)

Pros

High Tech color instrumentation company. Leverages technology to generate new growth.
    People are good to work with.

Cons

As with any mid/large sized company, decisions are made strictly to the numbers. In some instances could adversely affect great performing associates.

Advice to Management

Develop staff, go after strategic long term objectives.

Jul 29, 2015 – VP HR

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Our technology and people are top notch.

"Great company going through transition under new ownership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Training and business processes are well known and documented. Company encourages innovation and follows TPS/Lean Manufacturing principles.

Cons

Significant employee turnover during last three years since new ownership - many key middle management positions Eliminated. Company is driven by metrics - KPI.

"Suggestions not heard"

Former Employee - Electronic Assembler in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Electronic Assembler in Kentwood, MI

I worked at X-Rite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hourly employees are all friendly and helpful. Good group of people

Cons

Management doesn't listen to the employees working on the products. Used to be one of the best places to work but since going public and being sold this company has gone down hill. Employees not treated with respect or listened to.All about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees have to say and reward them more not only in wages but respect. they are not trained monkeys.

"painful experience"

Former Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at X-Rite full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some great people employed there.

Cons

Senior leadership is all about the bottom line and nothing else.

Advice to Management

Start investing in your culture and your people and the returns will come.