Yell Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good transport links to office; advocates for work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Really good company to work for and really flexible working hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You work long hours, the market constantly changes and you are expected to keep apace with market changes (in 12 reviews)

• Pressure to hit targets and long hours which affects work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. "Good enough firm"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

"Great until this final year"

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

Advice to Management

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

4. "Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Advice to Management

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

5. "Inconsistent management"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

Advice to Management

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

6. "A little less than satisfactory"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Advice to Management

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

7. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time

Pros

The people, the office and the facilities

Cons

Didn't see a long term future at the company

8. "Digital Account Manager"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great commission - you can really earn a lot of money here! Also Yell have fantastic managers and constant training in place.

Cons

No cons working at Yell

9. "Fantastic company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work life balance is great and the pay & bonus structure is fair.
    A much more streamlined business focused on putting the customer at the heart of everything we do.

Cons

Career progression is quite limited but this is something that the management team are addressing which is good to see.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work.

10. "Digital Marketing consultant"

Current Employee - Digial Marketing in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Digial Marketing in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, great bonuses, we are a big family on the 7th floor, love my team & management are great too.
    If you want a good job with great benefits then Yell is the place to work.

Cons

can be stressful, but we are here to work & make loads of money & make yell great again