Yell Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

3.9
Yell UK CEO  Claire Miles
Claire Miles
Pros
  • "They are very flexible, and a good work life balance(in 35 reviews)

• "fantastic working hours that allows me to balance my work and family life perfectly(in 27 reviews)

• Cons
  • "long hours relative to other companies(in 23 reviews)

• "Absolutely zero work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Jul 28, 2014 - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN, Optional[IN]
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Inconsistent management

Mar 24, 2013 - Sales Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership

Nov 4, 2013 - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Here are some of the good things: Good work/life balance High quality co-workers who care about the business Nice office park Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things: Print advertising is dead No faith in new company direction Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people Secretive about future changes Did not leverage people to improve company

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

A little less than satisfactory

May 22, 2012 - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Web Support Specialist

Nov 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Higher pay than other employers

Cons

No work life balance and lots of management transfers

Head of Customer Onboarding

Hi, Thank you for the review, it isn’t clear from the review when you left the business, but we are pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one. In terms of your feedback one of our key focuses this year has been on facilitating employee’s with managing their work- life balance and where possible we now offer agile-working and home-working across the business. Thank you again for leaving your feedback.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee

Great until this final year

Aug 13, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities. Team spirit reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good enough firm

Jan 29, 2015 - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

8. 5.0

What a Company!

Feb 11, 2021 - Telesales Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and ever greater support from the business in terms of metal health, home working, flexi working and much more. I have had nothing but great support and coaching since my time with Yell. Real team feeling and the banter in the office and online is always making you laugh and feel connected with your colleagues. Excellent pay rates, bonus schemes and incentives. Managers always want you to hit your target. if you need support they are always willing to offer it. SLT are more open and involve everyone in updates regularly and take ideas and feedback from anyone in the company seriously and always adapt to ensure employees and customers are receiving the most out of Yell. Trialing new product offers and employee pay amendments in favour for the employee when and where possible.

Cons

Honestly working at yell may not be for everyone. There are targets and ever evolving product ranges to learn about and sell in an ever evolving market. There is a comradeship in the building but the banter again may not be for everyone. If you take yourself seriously it might not be for you. The employees are funny, smart and driven, Making sure that everyone is supported, however, there is no filter and for the pressure of the job at times it brings laughter but it could be at your expense.

Head of Recruitment

Thank you for leaving us a review, it is great to hear you have had a great experience with us and are enjoying your role.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Really enjoy working for Yell

Apr 4, 2021 - Digital Marketing Consultant in Cardiff, Wales, Wales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great to work from home, manager is great as are team mates. Incentives are good as is pay.

Cons

Targets are high and ever increasing, they don’t adjust monthly target if you have Holidays. If you have had time off, you’re still expected to hit the full time target. Can be encouraged to work when off on holiday. Almost feel bad taking holiday to be with kids knowing it will be a struggle to get to my target ... that’s not good at all. Lead volumes last month have been very low and poor quality making it hard to hit target.

Head of Recruitment

Thanks for leaving us a review we appreciate your feedback. Really pleased you are enjoying the flexibility of working from home and also enjoy the culture. We take our employees well being very seriously at Yell and you should not feel bad for taking holiday. If you wish to discuss further with us please do contact us at recruitment@yell.com or alternatively we advise you speak to your line manager about this matter.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Interview

May 5, 2021 - Telesales Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Positive interview process and I look forward to starting.

Cons

Not yet started the role.

Head of Recruitment

Thank you for leaving us a review it is really appreciated. We are really pleased you enjoyed the interview process, we pride ourselves on delivering an exceptional candidate experience at all times. We hope you enjoy your career with us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 629 Reviews