Yell Reviews | Glassdoor

Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Daily Expectations of you are increased every day so if you want a work life balance I would steer clear" (in 10 reviews)

• "You work long hours, the market constantly changes and you are expected to keep apace with market changes" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. "Web Support Specialist"

I worked at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Higher pay than other employers

Cons

No work life balance and lots of management transfers

Dec 10, 2017 – Head of Customer Onboarding

Hi,

Thank you for the review, it isn’t clear from the review when you left the business, but we are pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one.

In terms of your feedback one of... More

3. "Good enough firm"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

"Great until this final year"

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

Advice to Management

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

5. "Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Advice to Management

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

6. "Inconsistent management"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

Advice to Management

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

7. "A little less than satisfactory"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Advice to Management

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Call Centre Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Call Centre Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The senior management team truly strive to create a great environmwnt. The company now has a clear vision it os working towards. Excellent development opportunities. Extremely rewarding pay structure in sales.

Cons

It's hard work at times but if you a prepared to push yourself the reward and opportunity to develop is more than worth it!

Sep 14, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review.

Its great to see you're feeling truly supported by your management team and are feeling the benefits from our development opportunities and pay... More

9. "Fantastic Opportunities at Yell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Yell has a great atmosphere with passionate and driven people in every area of the business. It is a great company for progression with a number of job opportunities available as well as internal training and development programmes to help people succeed in the business.
    I've had fantastic progression within Yell over the years and have always felt supported by my managers and senior managers when I've wanted to develop.
    Yell also has one of the best groups of people that I've ever had the pleasure to work with. I love coming into work and being surrounded by people that want to do the best possible job and see the company succeed.

Cons

The nature of working in the digital world means that there are a lot of changes that have to happen very quickly so this isn't the most suitable industry for people who are resistant to fast-paced change.

Sep 14, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks for the wonderful review.

Its so good to hear that you are enjoying your work with your colleagues and feeling the advantages of our progression routes!

I wish you a long and happy... More

10. "Great company that needed to change and are doing that well!"

Current Employee - Digital Specialist in Scarborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Specialist in Scarborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the location and the job, the wage is great, especially after an uplift in salary and a new bonus scheme. The office is relaxed and has a good atmosphere. Events are held and ran well with no expenses spared. Fun in the office is also arranged for charity days and sporting events. Great management that support the staff in work and personal circumstances. Training is always held to ensure staff can perform to their best ability in order to hit KPIs for bonuses. Feedback and development is always shared and staff are always aware what is expected of them. The nature of the job is relevant for this digital age we live in and the daily work is rather easy and varied. Opportunities for job role changes or progression is available along with the opportunity to travel at company expense. Working hours are perfect office hours and overtime is paid at double. This is salaried employment with the requirement to work a certain amount of hours per year and if you go over that amount, you can take time and a half pay or days back. You won’t get a better national recognised company to work for!

Cons

Employees work on an inbound and outbound schedule for taking/making calls. The office could benefit from the schedules coming out well in advance so staff can plan better

Advice to Management

Keep doing what they are doing in the support during the transistion to make Yell even better!

Sep 14, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for this lovely response!

I know there are some great engagement activities going on within the Scarborough site so its great to see you are taking full advantage of these! Its also... More