Yell Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is easy to manage and as much as you're encouraged to perform well there's also a clear focus on having fun at the same time" (in 24 reviews)

• "quality service well managed and great people to work with" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "finding time to have a healthy work life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Lots to juggle, Long hours and have to be committed to succeed" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, Tippecanoe, IN

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited earnings opportunity. Territory management is like running your own business.

Cons

Targets can be tough to hit. Particular focus on different products, focus shifts. Lots of admin work

2. "Web Support Specialist"

I worked at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Higher pay than other employers

Cons

No work life balance and lots of management transfers

Yell Response

Dec 10, 2017 – Head of Customer Onboarding

Hi,

Thank you for the review, it isn’t clear from the review when you left the business, but we are pleased to hear that your experience was a positive one.

In terms of your feedback one of... More

3. "Good enough firm"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, IN

Pros

Good training in house to date

Cons

Hard work at first ly

"Great until this final year"

Pros

Outside sales, freedom to work, live and enjoy family activities.
    Team spirit
    reward accomplishments

Cons

PRESSURE COOKER, moving objectives , management on fear

Advice to Management

consider the true reason for success....sales reps

5. "Quality co-workers sinking together at a company with no future and no leadership"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the good things:
    Good work/life balance
    High quality co-workers who care about the business
    Nice office park
    Lots of jokes can be made about working for the phone book

Cons

Here are some of the bad things:
    Print advertising is dead
    No faith in new company direction
    Leadership not innovative - their "new" direction is just copying other people
    Secretive about future changes
    Did not leverage people to improve company

Advice to Management

Try being innovative and give employees a vision that excites them, get a new name (I know you are hibu now and I can't believe you payed a branding company a ton of money for such a dumb name)

6. "Inconsistent management"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent opportunity to make money even if you do not have much experience in sales. The training is good and the resources available are enough to give anyone a chance at success.

Cons

Extensive travel keeps you on the road quite a bit. The changes in the industry make it difficult to sell their core product, print advertising. The negative stigma in the market place of the company makes it difficult to overcome when calling on clients. The charge back system is unfair because it makes you not only a salesperson but get involved in collections as well which hurts relationships.

Advice to Management

The several layers of management are quite inconsistent in that you never get the same story from anyone. There is little support from upper management either even when they say they are there for you.

7. "A little less than satisfactory"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

If Outside Sales Performance is good then company supports you. They do not pay enough bonus on your achievements as other like companies. However, being in outside sales gives you flexibility to manage your time, and if you are a natural over achiever you it can be gratifying to work here. The senior managers of our office are patient and flexible if you are doing your job, and try not to interfere as long as you are performing well with meeting your goals, and expectations of company. Bonuses are easily achieved if one works hard, and it can make up the lack of income on the CSR's average earnings. Great Benefits. Overall not a bad place to be employed.

Cons

If Sales performance is poor then serious Micro-Management gets involved which is to be expected. Salaries are under average as with other like companies in Outside Sales. Very little to NO mobility in upwards movement and growth with the company at least in our office. Challenges of income growth or loss are derived by individual performance strictly on sales ability in a downward overall usage trend in our Market or Industry by the belief of consumer's today. Since normal growth patterns of other similar advertising companies still remains positive and growing. Our company is undergoing many changes to effectively compete in the advertising industry of today's consumer needs that it is having a negative impact on any growth and opportunity for advancement in the company. You must work even harder to achieve better than average income, but that is as good as it gets. Plaques and Bonuses do not mean upwards mobility so that said in our industry today be ready to overcome those challenges if you are thinking to work here in outside sales. Be prepared for this Global Change, and with the changes coming into effect the "cons" may eventually work it's way out. But for now, and who knows exactly for how long I do not see any positive reinforcement of upwards mobility with this company. I do however believe the company is moving in the right direction from a Print Only company to an aggressive Online Advertising, and eMarketing Solutions Company.

Advice to Management

Recognize the achievers more, and offer opportunities for advancement and growth. Become more flexible in meeting Sales Challenges by putting into action more assistance for the Sales Team to perform their duties. Sales should stay focused only in selling. Corporate backing with support to the sales force is necessary for us to better achieve our goals and your expectations of us in sales. Fix the obstacles we face daily by always continuing your efforts on advancing the product lines we offer and investing more time, finance, and effort to aggressively compete in our industry in today's market. Support the sales team in their daily functions making our systems quicker and more efficient with continual plans to improve Sales Support, Systems Integration, Awards, Rewards, and Compensation Plans that recognize the over achiever's and leave plenty of room for advancement & growth opportunities. This I believe makes all the difference of a company that strives in excellence during times of expansion by overcoming those obstacles that we face daily and supporting the foundation that the success is built from.

8. "Excellent Company to work for"

I worked at Yell full-time

Pros

Good organisation, good bonuses, Excellent benefits

Cons

Figures come first, before your personal situations

Advice to Management

Don't make false promises

"In lieu of an exit interview"

Former Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Scarborough, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Increased incentives of late – genuine attempts being made to make the company look like it cares for its employees
    Decent pay for the area
    By and large my line manager has been great

Cons

The Quality Assurance role:
    In many ways the role is a truly Sisyphean task – no matter how much feedback and training and support we offer, the quality of the end-product never changes. Just when we think we’ve managed to get the writers/designers to do something right, that ol’ offshore boulder rolls right back down to where it started. And then we do it over, and over, and over…

At the risk of mixing metaphors, this really does create a downward spiral leading to a poor end-product for the customer. We’re given far too little time to fix the magnitude and multitude of errors that are created when a company insists on offshoring as many products and services as possible, which results in the customer on most occasions getting something at best underwhelming, and at worst completely wrong for them.

The team is generally under-utilised and frequently threatened with redundancy, which creates an unhappy work environment – nobody likes to feel as though their contribution means nothing.
    Personally, all of the above left me feeling fatigued and worn out, which is why I have found a new job elsewhere.

Yell as a whole:
    Upper management in Yell is seemingly at a loss with what to do with itself most of the time. Senior management positions are swapped and changed between a small number of people with what appears to be little thought about who actually has the right experience for each job – a case of blindly smashing different shaped blocks into different shaped holes until something fits.

This disjointed approach leads to a constant stream of poor choices, with the entire senior management team working in a reactive rather than proactive manner – what’s of vital importance one month is tossed thoughtlessly aside the next when a shiny new process/product/idea comes into view.

This shouldn’t be a huge issue – Yell is, after all, a company working in the digital marketplace, where fast decisions and changes are a matter of course. The problem begins, however, when the company has an approach to rolling out anything new which can be most kindly described as shambolic. There’s far too much ‘blue-sky thinking’ as they call it, and any attempts to discuss possible difficulties which could arise are often waved away as petulant naysaying. In my mind, when introducing a new product/process etc, a company should engage with the staff who will be using it day to day to get a better idea of any potential pitfalls, in order to tackle issues BEFORE they arise, rather than after.

Speaking of the staff working in the office – there are some very talented, very savvy people working here. Yell doesn’t even know what it’s got half the time, as there are resources untapped which could honestly make the company much better than it is. However, there’s little chance of advancement of any kind for all but a select few.

For example, there’s the way that anyone choosing to become a manager or trainer or coach will be put on one secondment after another, rather than being offered a concrete role following the initial bedding-in period. It’s a genuinely awful way to treat employees who want to exceed and give more to the company.

On the plus side, at least these roles are still onshore – Yell is unnecessarily zealous about offshoring EVERYTHING they think they can get away with. Large chunks of our customer service department? Offshored. Most of HR? Offshored. PPC creation? Offshored. Website design? Offshored. Copywriting? Oh you’d better believe that’s offshored. As mentioned above, this leads to Yell’s customers receiving subpar products across the board.

This, I feel, betrays a profound and flagrant misunderstanding of how to create satisfied customers – simply harping on about ‘great customer service’ while providing disappointing products isn’t going to lead to happy clients. For example, if I were to frequent a restaurant that served nothing but wasp-stinger sandwiches and nettle-juice, the fact that the serving staff were peppy and helpful wouldn’t be enough to make me rate the establishment, not to recommend it to anyone– the quality of the product should be of paramount importance.

Ignoring the customer-facing side of things, possibly the biggest issue that Yell has (and has always had) is a real issue with accurate data management and analysis. At no point do any of the figures reported in the office match up with the work put in – at some points, they cease to even display any sense of logic at all. As an example, there was at time when the entire quality team (in preparation for an incentive) was ranked as working -0.something jobs an hour. MINUS. To do that, we’d have had to create new work for ourselves, and then not do it. When this issue was raised, we were waved away with an attitude of ‘well, that’s what the stats say’. Logic has no place here.

Advice to Management

All in all, what’s most frustrating is that Yell could be a much better place to work, and a much better run company to boot. It just refuses to address some fundamental issues with its business practices, namely:
    • Fear of experts – instead of hiring people who know what they’re doing from outside the company, they just shuffle around the same handful of people internally
    • Offshoring – it’s relentless, it’s damaging, it’s short-term gain for long-term loss
    • Data management – hire some proper analysts; as above, it’ll cost more in the short term, but pay off in the long
    As mentioned, the pay really isn’t bad for the area, and if you settle into your rut you can get along alright. However, after 6 years of the same old thing, I really just needed to move on.

10. "Great Company with a strong focus on it's customers and people"

Current Employee - Selection and Induction in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Selection and Induction in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great earning and development opportunities, focused on customer satisfaction and development of it's people

Cons

Need an ability to be able to cope with high pressure at times

Advice to Management

Continue the great work of keeping the customer at the heart of everything and continue to invest in staff.