Cover image for YipitData

93% Approve of CEO

Found 122 of over 125 reviews

YipitData Co-Founder and CEO Vinicius Vacanti
Vinicius Vacanti

What people are saying about YipitData

Join the conversation on

Tech

473K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=YipitData~423131
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture focused on impact and ownership and not on micro(in 35 reviews)
  • "This company truly hires best out of best professionals, who are also just great people to be around.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Amazing team.(in 6 reviews)
  • "up environment where employees are encouraged to take ownership(in 5 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Great culture | Potential for growth | Ownership and Impact

Oct 13, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

YipitData has great culture which provides support for growth and lets you own and make an impact to your team as well as the entire organization. You can voice your opinion and put in your ideas and eventually execute them, without hesitating.

Cons

Rapid growth can make some nervous, however the transparency assures things are well

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good hours but bad pay and career structure

Nov 4, 2022 - Equity Research
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good wfh policy, some nice co workers

Cons

My views below only pertain to my experience and might not be representative of how others feel. 1. I think your experience heavily depends on what team you are on because some managers are good and some bad. My manager had very narrow minded definition for what being “good” means so if you can’t meet that standard then tough luck. Even if you are really good at say 4 out of the 5 things, you won’t be recognized unless you check all the boxes. I think this is why I’ve seen a lot of people moving around internally or asking to move into different roles. 2. I also feel like some people are being promoted because they have a good relationship with their manager even though that person might not have met all the requirements. 3. The company is hiring a lot more junior people because the salary is not very competitive and the stock option is laughable. As the company grows it will just be a bunch of senior people, who got a lot of equity because they joined early, at the top and junior/less experienced people at the bottom, who are not as competent or financially motivated.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the YipitData team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Incredible Workplace

Sep 29, 2022 - Data Specialist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The job is a very intriguing blend of finance and technical knowledge and is a really fantastic opportunity to manage products and gain significant responsibility straight out of school. Job security is pretty strong because once you've been here for a few months, you're responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue, and the company is still focused on growing quickly despite the financial environment. The company is very serious about its values in an extremely positive way; both the data team and the company give out awards for "efficiency" and "ownership," and the company gives out awards for transparency and other demonstrations of positive values. There is a focus on self-improvement and owning up to mistakes, but without long-term animosity or judgement. Work-life balance is also huge; I'm encouraged to take time off when I'm not feeling well or dealing with the emergency, and everyone is encouraged to take vacations even when they're right out of training (we had a new hire in March take 2 weeks off in July). Everyone here works on different schedules, some people start early, others come into the office around 10, and it's very easy to log off when you need to during the day. I'd say on average I work 35-40 hours a week, never more than 45, and can run errands or just take some time to relax when I need it. I think if someone is struggling with work hours they're probably having trouble with coding and are not being transparent about the challenges they're facing, as plenty of training projects and other timelines were adjusted when I faced challenges (including spending > 25 hours on a client request we decided to "bill" 8 hours for). Also, the management is awesome. If you can snag a 1:1 with Jordan (VP of Product), he's super insightful about improvements, problem-solving, and general business philosophy. There's a strong culture of challenging people to learn and do their best without toxicity, and the management chain embodies that well (it is entirely possible that some people with bad experiences do have bad managers, as the only person who has left my team this year did so for a promotion and pay raise at a competitor). Promotions and responsibility increases happen quickly and stakeholders are incredibly fair about them (no strict timelines, backpay is common, etc.). That being said, every posted experience here is real and mine is just one. This type of role and company is clearly not a fit for everyone.

Cons

Training is challenging if you haven't had practical experience in SQL and Python, or working with databases more generally (I had R experience), and the first 2 weeks of training are at least 50 hours of work. However, there is a strong amount of screening via the projects in the application process. Part of "ownership" can also mean working late when a report needs to go out, or a system needs to be urgently fixed. It can be easy to stay connected to work when you're supposed to be on vacation. The current pay structure has been in place for a couple years, and rent/salaries more broadly have gone up since then. I'm hoping it gets adjusted in the next year or two.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0

Great Company Culture

Aug 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive work environment; smart, driven co-workers

Cons

A lot of responsibility; Fast paced

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Really enjoy YD

Aug 17, 2022 - Research Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good to work place overall

Cons

No cons - really enjoy YD

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible

Sep 8, 2022 - Data Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote or Hybrid work (Hybrid if you want to be taxed at your home state rates, remote means you get NY income tax). Trained to use SQL, some python and spark as well

Cons

Very intense training, had travel plans the month before joining and they refused to share training materials prior to my travel (which made it harder to prepare for the intense training). They fired me while I was still in training. I had no prior pro coding experience, and I was able to do all the work that was asked of me, told I had a good conceptual understanding of what needed to be done, as well as good understanding of problems that can arise, trends in data etc. but that I needed too much feedback (I maybe got an hour of feedback a day at most, usually just 15 mins, managers were generally far too busy to talk to me) and that I wasn't as fast as my cohort, who all had more coding experience, which they already knew going in, so they chucked me. I was working 12-14 hour days, sometimes more, and it made no difference. Also, they told me it was impossible to drop from "great" to "below minimum" performance in a day during training, but it turned out this was a lie, as that's exactly what happened to me. I was never told I was dropping in performance standing until it felt like it was already too late. Maybe poor revenue performance had something to do with that?

9 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good company, growing too fast

Aug 2, 2022 - Client Strategy Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great values Good people and benefits

Cons

Lack of transparency sometimes Growing too fast and lacks consistency lately

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great People, Inclusive Environment

Jul 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

To start, YD has great people. Each employee is thoughtful, intelligent and open-minded. There is a culture of inclusivity and I've never felt like I couldn't openly share ideas or be myself. As for the positions, it's really what you make of your role, and what you put in is what you get out. If you are willing to work hard you will be recognized for that.

Cons

It's important to get comfortable with change, and understand that in order to adapt and become a larger company, you can't keep doing things how you always have.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible Company, Even Worse Culture

Aug 9, 2022 - Research Specialist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible work from home / in the office options - Some nice people

Cons

- Terrible work life balance - Management spends very little time on training and developing talent - they don't care about people in the least - Compensation is way below what you can get at other similar firms - Constantly putting out fires rather than having a well though out strategy in place that could prevent a ton of unnecessary stress - Overall horrible job

10 people found this review helpful
  11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic PIP culture

Jun 29, 2022 - Data Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. unlimited time off ( I doubt you will use more than 15 days per year because if anything goes wrong, that will fall on you even when you are OOO, that is the expectation) 2. opportunities for promotion - I know people get promoted pretty fast if they are the superstar of the cohort and their salary will grow pretty fast 3. Get a full month of training on SQL python and database. 4. Get exposure to alternative data and how institutional investors use them

Cons

1.No work-life balance and extremely long hours. Your salary doesn't match your working hours. The company is very good at branding itself for its diversity and humanized culture and it allows unlimited paid time off. The review used to be straight 5.0 because of its cult-style culture and it would be so easy to identify who wrote the bad review, but I am glad to see more real comments coming out. In fact, you will find burnout so common across the company and people only complain under the table because of peer pressure. I didn't even get a chance to take a whole week off when I was still at the company and I still have to work 50% of the time while I was on vacation, and my friends find it ridiculous. This is because everyone / your manager is so occupied with his/her own plate of sh*t and no time to cover yours. 2. Toxic culture and expected 0 human errors. A lot of people are forced to quit jobs because they are considered underperforming, just because of one or two data errors. Almost no time and room for improvements from a lower bar. As one review mentioned, the company hired crazy but also fired a lot. 3. Lot of young managers who have barely any experience of managing other people. Don't expect a lot of help or advice from your manager. They are there to judge you and give you a rating. All the more experienced/older managers are promoted to high senior levels and the company is lacking appropriate training on how to be a good manager for the newbies. If you are not the top performer, you will find yourself at a minimum rating one day and forced to leave.

12 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 122 Reviews
</>Embed

YipitData Reviews FAQs

YipitData has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 125 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at YipitData to a friend and 87% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, YipitData employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at YipitData. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

86% of YipitData employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated YipitData 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at YipitData to be management, benefits, career development and the cons to be work life balance, workplace.

Popular Careers with YipitData Job Seekers