ZipRealty Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ZipRealty President, CEO, and Director Charles C. (Lanny) Baker
Charles C. (Lanny) Baker

Pros
  • Working with ZipRealty would make sense for new agents to gain some experience (in 6 reviews)

• I loved being able to work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low commission splits for agents (supposed to be an offset of the quality leads promised) (in 7 reviews)

• For the amount of work and time required in today's real-estate environment, the commission structure needs to be more competitive (in 5 reviews)

1. "Real Estate Consultant"

Current Employee - Real Estate Consultant in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Real Estate Consultant in Henderson, NV

I have been working at ZipRealty (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work on my own

Cons

No pay check if you don't work

"Back off a little"

Current Employee - Salesperson in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time

Pros

Technology and flexibility. Potential to be a great company.

Cons

Constant directives and pressure to produce. Too many emails from management asking for lead updates. Low splits.

Advice to Management

Stop treating salespeople like like your personal employees. Allow your agents to work at their pace without having to answer the same constant questions from management. Stop threatening to take leads away.

"STOP the BULLYING, INTIMIDATION and CORRUPTION! Since you treat us like employees, pay us like it!"

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good web platform... good information to help new agents

Cons

As real estate agents, we are self-employed, meaning, we don't have a boss. At ZipRealty this is not the case... we are given orders on a daily basis and if we don't do what we are told, we are punished and kicked to the side of the curb. We are not given any quality leads and we are considered black sheep. This is not fair on any level, especially the level of being an actual human being. We are constantly walking on pins and needles for fear we will have our leads pulled if we do not do exactly what the directives are! Also, every day we get harassing emails that requires us to disclose how many opens we have to enter, how many offers we have out, how many clients did we contact, what were their names... next they will be asking for a doctor's report?! Also, there is a daily list posted to humiliate those that don't follow the directives. Moreover, we get emails saying we HAVE to do this or that or else... so we are threatened, intimidated and obviously bullied as well! As stated below... all of the top leads go to the top agents who were anointed to make others money, not because they work any harder than anyone else. This is very unfair to everyone. Many of us work harder than the top agents, which makes this whole set-up very corrupt. There is no accountability or oversight. Something needs to be done about this! Countless hours are wasted following bad leads, because (WE HAVE TOO) according to the orders we are given. We are further harassed with weekly phone "check up" meetings to let you know how awful you're doing compared to the teacher's pets. The favoritism that goes on here and the way we are treated is demoralizing and not right on any human level.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some oversight on lead distribution, because at this point it's very corrupt with no change coming soon. The prime leads (people who are pre-approved etc.) go to the top agents and gives no one else an opportunity. We pay on average $2,000 per each converted lead OFF THE TOP... and then a 50/50 split after that... so basically 65% gone before we get paid and guess who does all the work?! US! Every sale we make from our hard work goes to line the pockets of the lead distributor, who gets a cut of everything we sell. Since the leads are constantly going to the top agents... can you say... CORRUPTION! Not sure on what planet this is fair? Someone needs to change things and make this a fair place to work. Also the commission numbers are foul. Someone should make the lead distributor accountable! Make the lead distribution program automatic and based on agent home office location. Also, just because people don't send out 1,000 emails a day or log 200 calls a day doesn't mean they are not working as hard as everyone else! I Show a lot of property 20-30 a day sometimes and I make CMAs daily for listings. I also work several jobs to support my family, because we are not paid enough here! Please automate the leads, because if you don't, the corruption will only get worse! STOP THE BULLYING, INTIMIDATION AND STOP THE CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Favoritism and demoralizing"

Former Employee - Realtor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Realtor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teaches you how to look out for people who don't have your best interests disguised as professional mentors. Makes you appreciate ultimately any other brokerage you have ever encountered.

Cons

Quality Leads go to their favorite fellow vodka party agents. Countless hours wasted following dead low income leads. Weekly phone 'check up' meetings to let you know how awful you're doing compared to fellow vodka party agents. Basement commission split makes this seem like charity work.

Advice to Management

Don't let local zip management be in control of who gets what leads. Make the distribution programming automatic and based on agent home office location. Integrate a system where active agents get more leads however do not let management determine this.

6. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great lead followup dashboard for agents to communicate with potential clients.

That being said, the company requirements for documentation of conversations, showings, etc. is extreme and time consuming. It's not intended to benefit the agent - clearly intended to benefit the company and wastes agent's time.

Cons

High turnover of agents so a majority of the leads assigned aren't fresh quality leads.

Low commission splits for agents (supposed to be an offset of the quality leads promised).

They treat agents like employees without paying base salaries. Too many company requirements (such as stated above) that are not appropriate for an independent contractor paid solely on commission.

I wouldn't work there again.

Advice to Management

None. The business model just doesn't work.

"You can do better"

Former Employee - Real Estate Broker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Real Estate Broker in Chicago, IL

I worked at ZipRealty full-time

Pros

You get "leads" and software to manage your clients.

Cons

You will be harangued to work with unqualified low priced leads. You will get very little support and expect to wait days for return calls and email replies. You will rarely see management. You will pay $1,455 for every referral lead you convert. You will only get a 50% commission split on your sales and you will have to earn at least $1,600,000 in sales every year just to get a larger commission split. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the so-called "Chicago" office @ 2 Mid America Plz Ste 120,Oakbrook Terrace, IL and merge it with an office in Chicago. Not suburbs, Chicago. Hire a management team that understands the Chicago real estate market and culture. Provide better support in terms of training and mentorship. Get off the harassing and condescending style of treating real estate professionals.

"Choose another realtor to work for"

Former Employee - Realtor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Realtor in Houston, TX

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hand you a secured data base of leads... however, the leads are most certainly not hot or even warm.

Cons

Work from home, so if you like isolationism, you will like this set up. I prefer working in an office with a team. Favoritism and politics run rampant. Play by the rules, don't miss any meetings, learn to priortize and say, "no."

Advice to Management

Qualify the leads that go into the data base. I spent hours chasing "leads" that had already decided to buy, or had a bad taste from previous Zip Realtors before I came on board.

"Awful. Stay away."

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much...unless you count the bogus leads they provide. Even those aren't reachable by phone and they never respond to email. What sort of lead program (where they take 50% of your commission) allows the "leads" to register with a valid phone or email. Stay away...

Cons

Where do I start. Bogus leads. Dishonest management that seem to funnel any real leads to the same 4-5 agents in the office...that's how the Las Vegas office seems to operate. Worst management ever...avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to potential agents that your lead system is fair and doesn't favor the same 4-5 agents in the office. Shame on you ZipRealty.

"Wasted time and was duped in the Interview"

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Everything turned out to be not true at all

Cons

I was surprised at the Lies I was told to get me to join, could have chosen to go elsewhere, but it was my choice based on what I was told.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people that you interview

11. "Loved the company"

Former Employee - Realtor in Port Orchard, WA
    Former Employee - Realtor in Port Orchard, WA

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved being able to work from home. The client leads were at my finger tips 24/7. Support was only a phone call away.

Cons

Not very many cons working for ZipRealty. Sometimes my schedule would conflict with team meetings and I wish there was multiple meeting so you could choose which one.