ZipRealty Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ZipRealty President, CEO, and Director Charles C. (Lanny) Baker
Charles C. (Lanny) Baker

Pros
  • I loved being able to work from home (in 3 reviews)

• Have a great training system, great management, very supportive when it comes to working with clients (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low commission splits for agents (supposed to be an offset of the quality leads promised) (in 7 reviews)

• Commission structure changed 3 times in 2 years, changing the way agents do business too quickly (in 5 reviews)

1. "Real Estate Consultant"

Current Employee - Real Estate Consultant in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Real Estate Consultant in Henderson, NV

I have been working at ZipRealty (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work on my own

Cons

No pay check if you don't work

"Favoritism and demoralizing"

Former Employee - Realtor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Realtor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teaches you how to look out for people who don't have your best interests disguised as professional mentors. Makes you appreciate ultimately any other brokerage you have ever encountered.

Cons

Quality Leads go to their favorite fellow vodka party agents. Countless hours wasted following dead low income leads. Weekly phone 'check up' meetings to let you know how awful you're doing compared to fellow vodka party agents. Basement commission split makes this seem like charity work.

Advice to Management

Don't let local zip management be in control of who gets what leads. Make the distribution programming automatic and based on agent home office location. Integrate a system where active agents get more leads however do not let management determine this.

3. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Sacramento, CA

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great lead followup dashboard for agents to communicate with potential clients.

That being said, the company requirements for documentation of conversations, showings, etc. is extreme and time consuming. It's not intended to benefit the agent - clearly intended to benefit the company and wastes agent's time.

Cons

High turnover of agents so a majority of the leads assigned aren't fresh quality leads.

Low commission splits for agents (supposed to be an offset of the quality leads promised).

They treat agents like employees without paying base salaries. Too many company requirements (such as stated above) that are not appropriate for an independent contractor paid solely on commission.

I wouldn't work there again.

Advice to Management

None. The business model just doesn't work.

"You can do better"

Former Employee - Real Estate Broker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Real Estate Broker in Chicago, IL

I worked at ZipRealty full-time

Pros

You get "leads" and software to manage your clients.

Cons

You will be harangued to work with unqualified low priced leads. You will get very little support and expect to wait days for return calls and email replies. You will rarely see management. You will pay $1,455 for every referral lead you convert. You will only get a 50% commission split on your sales and you will have to earn at least $1,600,000 in sales every year just to get a larger commission split. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the so-called "Chicago" office @ 2 Mid America Plz Ste 120,Oakbrook Terrace, IL and merge it with an office in Chicago. Not suburbs, Chicago. Hire a management team that understands the Chicago real estate market and culture. Provide better support in terms of training and mentorship. Get off the harassing and condescending style of treating real estate professionals.

"Choose another realtor to work for"

Former Employee - Realtor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Realtor in Houston, TX

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hand you a secured data base of leads... however, the leads are most certainly not hot or even warm.

Cons

Work from home, so if you like isolationism, you will like this set up. I prefer working in an office with a team. Favoritism and politics run rampant. Play by the rules, don't miss any meetings, learn to priortize and say, "no."

Advice to Management

Qualify the leads that go into the data base. I spent hours chasing "leads" that had already decided to buy, or had a bad taste from previous Zip Realtors before I came on board.

"Awful. Stay away."

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much...unless you count the bogus leads they provide. Even those aren't reachable by phone and they never respond to email. What sort of lead program (where they take 50% of your commission) allows the "leads" to register with a valid phone or email. Stay away...

Cons

Where do I start. Bogus leads. Dishonest management that seem to funnel any real leads to the same 4-5 agents in the office...that's how the Las Vegas office seems to operate. Worst management ever...avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to potential agents that your lead system is fair and doesn't favor the same 4-5 agents in the office. Shame on you ZipRealty.

"Wasted time and was duped in the Interview"

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Everything turned out to be not true at all

Cons

I was surprised at the Lies I was told to get me to join, could have chosen to go elsewhere, but it was my choice based on what I was told.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people that you interview

9. "Loved the company"

Former Employee - Realtor in Port Orchard, WA
    Former Employee - Realtor in Port Orchard, WA

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved being able to work from home. The client leads were at my finger tips 24/7. Support was only a phone call away.

Cons

Not very many cons working for ZipRealty. Sometimes my schedule would conflict with team meetings and I wish there was multiple meeting so you could choose which one.

10. "Think Result-Orientated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at ZipRealty (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of smart and driven people here. Fun, energetic and supportive team members make the day worthwhile. The goals and vision of the company are definitely challenging as well as promising.

Cons

Comp is not as competitive but they are striving to meet the industry standard.

"Great place for a new agent"

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at ZipRealty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zip was a good place to get my feet wet but income opportunity was pretty limited. Leads not all they're cracked up to be, but better than nothing. Was good to have marketing and business cards and signs paid for.

Cons

I understand getting the tiny cut of commission since the marketing is ostensibly taken care of for us by the company, but then that means you need to actually provide a decent amount of leads. Splitting them over and over again with more and more agents just means nobody makes money. The few agents that were making decent money were getting most of their business from their own efforts or referrals from past business. Most people when they get to that point, though, have the sense to leave and get 80-100% commission.

Advice to Management

Give agents enough leads to succeed if they're working hard. They are your bread and butter.