benefitsCONNECT Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"benefitsCONNECT"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant

I worked at benefitsCONNECT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel that bC has many pros such as friendships to be made, a good product, nice perks, room for advancement, people willing to help you, and many others. bC has so much potential with their product.

Cons

I did not come to this site to bad mouth anyone or anything at bC. I feel that it is a good place to work for someone that is passionate about software developing and/or benefits administration. We all have our own paths in life and maybe bC will be a portion of that path. I am appreciative for the opportunity that I was given and wish everyone much luck in the future.

Advice to Management

Try to be more open and communicative with your employees. In the short time that I was there, I saw so many individuals get left in the dark. When you would ask more than one person a question on how to do something, you would receive more than one answer. There seemed to be a lot of inconsistency. I am all for having multiple work groups, but everyone needs to work together (as a part of a large team) and not develop cliques that cause a divide between departments. Don't let stress ruin your life or your work days. Smile. Be happy. Be positive. Be supportive. Don't allow employees to speak ill of management or other employees. Negativity thrives on negativity and it breeds instability. Good luck!

"Unrealized potential"

I worked at benefitsCONNECT full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are fun to work with. Office location is convenient to restaurants.

Cons

Management is just awful. I mean, really awful. They are in the old school mindset of top down micromanaging. Any dissent or proposals to do things better are immediately crushed. There are also cliques among some managers and frontline staff. A very high school vibe. I think the root cause is that these people end up managers because they are the only ones willing to stick around long enough to have the opportunity. Management by default.

The support team was far too lean when I was there (probably still is). Also, though they are a software company, the development and EDI teams were also too lean. Yet marketing and sales had plenty of people, many of which seemed to be twiddling their thumbs most of the time. Sad.

There is a lot of critical talk here on Glassdoor regarding the CEO, Troy Underwood. Much of it is true, he is a narcissist with an odd sense of humor, but I actually think he means well. Problem is he is surrounded by "yes" men and women. This only fuels the ego.

Advice to Management

Hire more developers and support staff. Get rid of the dead weight elsewhere. The product is crumbling under the weight due to outdated, poor architecture that doesn't scale well.

Have you noticed a lot of your good people hitting the exits in the last couple of years? It's because their managers are horrible. Offering free snacks does not create a healthy office environment.

"A Good Gig"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at benefitsCONNECT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for several years now and feel like I've been given a huge opportunity in developing my career. I owe Troy and many members of the management team at bC a debt of gratitude for giving me this opportunity and experience. If you work hard, stay honest and sincere, you are guaranteed to succeed at benefitsCONNECT.

Cons

It's frustrating to see some of these reviews - I don't understand how people can have such a huge misinterpretation of bC. It's too bad Glassdoor gives the option to be anonymous - I somehow doubt there would be a third of these reviews if people didn't have something to hide behind.

Advice to Management

Stay strong and thank you!

4. "A Company in Major Growth Mode - benefitsCONNECT is One to Watch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

benefitsCONNECT has the energy of a start-up with the experience of a seasoned company. The atmosphere allows employees to take ownership and leadership within their role. What I love about this organization is the room for advancement and growth. Promotions and new opportunities are awarded from within the organization. If you want more responsibility or a new role, the transition is easy and welcomed with open arms. The employer healthcare industry is thriving and as a technology vendor, benefitsCONNECT is at the epicenter of it all.

The fully-stocked kitchen is such a nice and generous perk! We can connect with employees and make breakfast, lunch or a quick snack. We have monthly activities for team-building and corporate events for holidays and birthdays! Employees can work out during lunch breaks (with their gym membership benefit) and stay in our workout clothes. The culture promotes healthy lifestyles and the importance of working out to maintain positive attitudes and strong mental health.

The CEO is the biggest advocate for employee well-being and leads the charge for our wellness initiatives. He is experienced, talented and kind. He is a true leader and visionary. He is firm when he has to be - but always fair.

Cons

A fast growing company will encounter challenges. benefitsCONNECT is growing and needs strong, resilient and talented players along for the ride. A con is that we are outgrowing our current procedures, but the good news is that our leadership is working to enhance these processes for the benefit of our clients and employees.

Advice to Management

Remain committed and engaged. Continue to motivate, inspire and challenge your employees. Keep looking for creative and innovative ways to improve and enhance the entire operation.

"Beautiful home with a busted foundation"

I worked at benefitsCONNECT full-time

Pros

It is right off the freeway. Nice employees that work together with the belief that things will get better if they work harder.

Cons

Where to begin….? I was employed with bC for a number of years and I too thought that it could get better. Well, let me tell you, it never did, and by reading the reviews here I am not alone in this thinking. The CEO likes to act like he pays well and that you have great benefits, but really when you dig into the plans, they are garbage. The salary rates are about 50% lower than other business in the Sacramento area and you are expected to work 50 times harder. The CEO is a liar, a cheat, and knows not what the word ‘ethical or honorable’ mean. He degrades employees in front of others, and shows no restraint. If you say or do something he doesn’t like you will have a target on your back. It is like walking on rice paper in that place. You walk in the door and you instantly feel the pressure and stress of that place. All the employees work more efficiently and breath better when the CEO is gone or on a trip.
    The CEO is like that dog in the movie Up! You know, the one who gets distracted by a squirrel? Yeah, that’s him. He can’t leave well enough alone and let developers work on getting the product more SECURE and FUNCTIONAL. He sees something and thinks that it should be added to the product. . . benefitsCONNECT platform is an OLD RUSTY CAR with a fresh PAINTJOB on it. Looks pretty on the outside but inside it is garbage. RFI’s we are made to lie on. Code is broken and not clean. Security? HA! It scares me that employee data resides in those systems. Ever heard of PHI standards? Encrypted data at rest or Encrypted database information? Yeah…. That is overlooked because the CEO wants the platform to look pretty. Forget Functionality of the system. Brokers and sites don’t matter. As long as they sign on and pay the bill, that’s all that matters. Supporting a product that is broken at the core is like bailing water out of a sinking titanic!
    Oh, did I mention that in benefitsCONNECT the CEO can date an employee? Yeah you read it right. What other companies do you know of where the CEO can date an employee and get away with it? Talk about favoritism…
    The CEO is a womanizer and hires women not based on skill or ability to perform the task they are hired for. No, he hires them if they are pretty to look at. If you are a little overweight or not wearing low cut shirts, good luck getting hired. Many times you will see and hear of female employees catching him looking down their shirts or making inappropriate comments.
    Every employee there has to put on an act when it comes to the CEO. They ACT like they like him when in actuality they can’t stand him and put up with his childish behavior just to stay off his bad side.

Advice to Management

Suggestions? Those managers, girlfriends, family of the CEO, and yes you CEO, that keep posting positive things. You know you are hurting the company more than helping it. You know this stuff goes on and by stating that the other posts on here are upsetting and wrong just proves that the CEO has his hooks into you. You have been fooled and have had the shroud pulled over your eyes. You know deep down that no matter what you try to do to protect your employees it will never happen unless you get the CEOs approval. You are his puppets, I have seen too many good people get destroyed mentally and emotionally by this “leader” of the company. You managers know that you have lost GOOD employees and coworkers to STUPID CHILDISH RANTS by the CEO. Stop lying to yourselves.
    Potential employees, don’t even bother with this black whole. This company will see the light again when the CEO is GONE, and under new leadership with someone who KNOWS how to run a real company.

6. "Great opportunity & Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at benefitsCONNECT full-time

Pros

benefitsCONNECT has positioned itself very well in the BenAdmin space for great growth

The company environment promotes cohesive open door policies which encourages collaborative interaction.

The CEO has a proven track record of success and is very entrepreneurial.

Rising waters raises all ships.

Cons

If you're not well versed in this industry, you have a LOT of learning to do. Be prepared to do your homework.

Advice to Management

Continue to put needed process flow in place to manage the growth.

"Sink or swim"

I worked at benefitsCONNECT full-time

Pros

Awesome people to work with, great team environment, great product

Cons

Not enough training for new employees with little or no experience with product, not enough qualified support staff for the amount of clients needing assistance, could use more support from management

Advice to Management

Your team wants to do a good job - they just need to feel more support from management. The perks are nice but more employees and support would be even better to balance the workload.

"Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at benefitsCONNECT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't be fooled by positive reviews of this company on this site. Any positive feedback has been written by either the CEO, his employee girlfriend, or a family member. The software was good at one time but has fell WAY behind the industry. The only positive and this has been historically true, people who have worked there care about their jobs and have a good work ethic. However, the abusive behavior by ownership and some management is too much to keep any quality employee for any amount of time.

Cons

The software was good at one time but has fell WAY behind the industry. This is all because of a CEO that is a narcissist who cannot allow a consistent development calendar to stay in place because his OCD mentality is always chasing a new squirrel that is typically a time waster and not a revenue generator. The CEO/owner is abusive and will happily berate an employee openly and in front of others. If the target is perceived by to have a less outgoing personality, the quicker you will become a victim, I mean target. Also, if you do not his friend request on facebook, you will also be identified as a non-desirable employee.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, everybody will be better off.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at benefitsCONNECT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working people and cool perks like massages and stocked kitchen. Even a gym. The employees are easy to become friends with.

Cons

Worst CEO ever. Refuses to change or take any advise. Just look at the turnover--that speaks for itself. It's a real shame because the employees actually believe in the product--which is a good product. But who wants to work in hell? Nope. Not me.

Advice to Management

So much advise has been given. All has been pushed aside and overlooked. For a company that's supposed to 'connect' there is a huge disconnect.

"Find a different company to work for - you're welcome!"

I worked at benefitsCONNECT full-time

Pros

Some great people working here - the CEO is NOT one of them! Some good perks, but not worth all the negative that you have to endure.

Cons

CEO is a narcissist that has no clue what the words "dignity and respect" mean when it comes to his employees. thinks he is the smartest one around and that all other people are incredibly stupid. Always talks about competitors and brokers like they have no clue what they are doing. That's why the turnover rate is incredibly high at this company. Once people realize what's going on, they sprint to the door!