iMatrix (California) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Brisco

Pros
  • The office has a work hard play hard culture is a significant reason why this company culture is great (in 5 reviews)

• Friendly work environment with plenty of opportunity for advancemennt (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, loud environment, a lot of company gossip (in 8 reviews)

• Really terrible commission structure (in 5 reviews)

"Fun Company!"

Current Employee - Inside Internet Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Internet Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress attire, friendly atmosphere, great people and great training!

Cons

You have to be in office by 7am

2. "Excellent company culture and many opportunities to get first hand experience working in HTML and CSS"

Current Employee - Senior Client Support Coach in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Support Coach in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've always really appreciated the positive atmosphere of the work environment and the management's willingness to commit themselves to employee comfort. They have awards every year that are often based on employee feedback, so you know when you win that it's based on the comments of your peers about your performance. The ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic job position that tested my web and coding knowledge every day is such a refreshing change from past jobs that often times did not properly know how to apply my skills. I would recommend this job to anyone craving an occupation involving lots of problem-solving and challenges in not only how to design and code websites, but also how to speak to design requests in a customer service context.

Cons

The only reason I couldn't give the position five stars has to do with a.) the learning environment, which could probably use a bit more documentation and b.) communication about new product features and improvements to the staff, which I have already been assured by the leadership are things that have been placed as priority for improvement.

Advice to Management

A more pro-active stance in regards to the rolling out of new software features and how the support team can speak to them would really go a long way.

3. "Perfect to gain some knowledge and leave"

Former Employee - King in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - King in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Fellow Employees: Everyone I interacted with were all very nice, helpful and friendly. Through my peers I was able to gain some knowledge regarding html, css, and seo basics. Some of my best friends to this day come from iMatrix
    2. Great gig for someone just graduating from college and looking for a little bit of experience on your resume which is tougher to get from your larger agencies
    3. Lots of opportunity to advance your position in the job market
    4. Keep in mind if you are someone graduating college 6 months to learn the basics you wont gain any more knowledge than the basics here

Cons

1. Poor leadership: for the most part you are on your own for your job managers don't really tend to do much to help advance your knowledge or work to help the company provide quality service to their clients. Often if you bring up areas for improvement managers will simply tell you that you are wrong, doesn't feel like your input counts
    2. Client Load- iMatrix focuses on a high client volume and expects a decent amount of clients to leave, account managers and the rest of the production department is overwhelmed and management tends to only hire once there are too many clients to manage not pre-emptively to ensure clients are serviced properly
    3. growing pains- company grew too quickly and you tends to launch products before they are tested for bugs- causes a lot of stress on the employeees
    4. Low Pay- salaries are not competitive with those in the digital marketing industry and there is a high turnover rate of employees as a results

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, offer competitive salaries, hire more to reduce the stress on your employees

"Take as much knowledge as you can from this place. Enjoy the time spent. And then leave as soon as you can."

Former Employee - SEO Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - SEO Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros: there are a lot of team building exercises. Every Monday they put together these games that you play, in an effort to keep employee moral up. This is something you don't see at many other companies. Time put into making sure that the week is started off on a high note.

They also offer 15 days PTO (that you must accrue through the year). This is nice when it comes around to holidays, taking off some paid time.

Employees are really close and they are what make each other sane throughout the work week. And the games in the (old) game room made it fun to interact with people during lunch.

They are growing... perhaps at a rate that is too fast for the company to keep up at. Which means a lot of room and opportunity for internal growth. Want a promotion? Don't be surprised if you see them handed out after an employee has been there for like 3-4 months.

They recognize employees every month for their hard work by giving them awards. These little things honestly count a lot when you've come to the end of a crazy month, being noticed for your hard work.

Cons

Cons:

Professional development- There seems to be a lack of professional development (when I say there seems, I mean there IS). The support position is where everyone gets trained, learning how to work in a call center with a sprinkle of some HTML and graphic design. After that initial training period , there is no real training in place for other positions. You want to work as an account manager? You have to gain knowledge and experience OUTSIDE of work. They basically just let you shadow someone for 5 days and then it's sink or swim from there. If you want to move from SEO to SEM (paid search), there is still no training. You basically have to just take some trainings outside of work on your own. The company could definitely have some improvements in this area, and I know management is already aware of this, so hopefully this gets resolved sooner than later.

Client load- as an account manager, you are taking on anywhere between 35-44 clients. What does that mean? Assuming you don't have any bubble ups, each client gets an average of 1 hour per week of your time... assuming you aren't spending hours of overtime on another client who escalated. Now how can account managers take on such a heavy load? Because "it works", according to management. Take on as many clients as possible until you can hire another account manager to take on some of your client load. But hey , since these clients are paying far below market value, maybe that is why management refers to it as "economy digital marketing". But you wouldn't see this type of client load at another digital marketing agency... but maybe that is where the grey area should be filled... Imatrix isn't a digital marketing agency, they are a web hosting company with a few additional upgrades if they can find a client who's willing to pay for a few extra services.

Pay- far too underpaid. Account managers make between $37-43k annually, to manage 40 clients. Maybe that's why it is so hard to find a willing external candidate. Internally it's just another promotion. But to be paid so little for a position that is in such high demand elsewhere? Cmon! The company clears around 25-30 million annually. Where is that money going? To the parent company, not the employees running the show.

Retention- sure, as a professional you should always be making sure retention tactics are in your back pocket. But when you are spending so much time trying to retain clients who treat you like crap, it really makes employees dread making phone calls. Perhaps if Imatrix focused more on performance, they wouldn't need to strain so hard on retention. Or maybe they should just quit upselling products to people who can't afford it. Management really pushes client retention hard mainly because they need to satisfy our parent company. But when you focus too much on retention, you have less time to learn how to be a professional digital marketer.

To conclude, Imatrix does a great job laying a foundation for adding experience to your resume and showing you what great team building is all about. Great for entry level success. But to stay and grow as a professional, this would probably not be the best decision.

Advice to Management

Lighten the work load (you hear employees always complain about this so maybe it's time to do something about it)

Pay your employees (account managers) a higher salary.

It would be cool if you didn't have to start so early (7am-4pm). I doubt having company hours from 9-5 pm PST would really upset those east coast clients... I'm pretty sure they know time zones exist.

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

Pros

Imatrix is an amazing company to work for, excellent management team that actually wants to see you succeed and move up the ladder. I was fortunate to gain some crucial sales and life experience here.

Cons

I had no problems by far the best sales job I've had thus far in my life.

Advice to Management

I had no complaints about the management, my manager Mary was very patient and helped me a lot with succeeding in the company. I've had other sales managers at other companies that are all about the numbers and don't care about your wellbeing.

"This Company is Really Great!"

Former Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

Pros

The people at this company are a unique and great. I learned so much during my time at Imatrix that has carried over to not just my professional career but also my personal life. If you work hard you will do well at this company. It is a very competitive environment but everyone wants to see you succeed. Everyone has your back. The office has a work hard play hard culture is a significant reason why this company culture is great. The management cares about your personal and professional growth.

Cons

It is a hard job to work in sales and can be a grind at times. This is not a job that is meant for everyone and a lot of people can't cut it in sales. If you do not like to work hard this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep pouring into your employees and investing in them. It pays off and it is incredible to see how the company has grown during my time there.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of good people working here. Management willing to take the time to work with individuals that show a willingness to work hard, an openness to trying different sales techniques, etc. Culture was fine but I was there to work/grind so it wasn't a huge selling point for me personally.

Cons

Sales goals are not a walk in the park. It is a grind every month and there was definitely some stress and pressure to hit goals. Sales employees were given a short leash but as I mentioned above, work ethic will go a long way both to help hit those goals and to obtain leniency for an occassional near miss.

Advice to Management

I left because of a lack of upward mobility. Being there less than a year, I of course would have had some other opportunities since this company is still growing; however, outside of forming new verticals I didn't see other avenues within the company.

Some of the other reviews mention salespeople giving false information to clients, which is accurate to a certain extent. Those individuals never lasted long but it only takes one bad apple...

I'd rotate some of the newer reps into tradeshows occasionally just to keep them interested. Obviously they are a privelege but it may help retain talent for a longer period and decrease turnover.

The lessons learned here have served me well. Thank you!

"Awful culture and products"

Former Employee - SEO in Mira Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - SEO in Mira Mesa, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It could be a good first job in sales for sales agents.

Cons

Awful culture. You know it's a bad product when they push cold calling over just created a product people will refer to others by word of mouth. Worked in marketing and realized that customers were being lied to by sales people just trying to make their quota. Huge silo effect. And by the way, every company that was a vet had the exact same content every other vet had etc which does NOT help SEO. Honestly just pay someone to make your website for you, or hire a real marketing team. Literally the worst company I have ever worked for.

iMatrix (California) Response

Dec 5, 2016 – Marketing Content Writer

I am so sorry to hear about your negative experience here at iMatrix. It is always our goal to provide a positive experience for both our employees and our clients. We really appreciate your ... More

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hours, mostly great people to work with, opportunity to travel domestically IF they like you and you meet your goals. If you travel consistently, you have the opportunity to make okay money.

Cons

Great sales opportunity if you're looking for inconsistent management, favoritism, and a less than mediocre hourly. Feels like "adult daycare," micromanagement, ping pong and arts and crafts at its finest. Benefits are whatever.

Advice to Management

Reward and praise all your employees like they're paying your bills...because they actually are.

"The Good, the Bad & the Ugly of working sales at iMatrix"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales at iMatrix is a job that grants a good opportunity for some but can be a struggling prospect for many. Due to the initial pay, my preference for outside sales and the fact I grew bored of my day to day activities, this opportunity wasn’t a match for me but could be for someone else.

First let me give a summary of what the position is like. When you walk-in on day one you are placed into a 4 week training period. The training period is actually a great learning experience despite the trainer being a very moody instructor. You learn a lot about digital marketing and the expectations of your job. After training you are a level 1 sales person. If you hit your quota two times you move to level 2 and if you exceed your quota 3 times you are at level three. At level 1, all leads and prospecting must be done on your own through cold calls, at level 2 you are working with a blend of your own leads and some warm leads, and at level 3 you are first in line for warm leads tradeshow opportunities, and appointment setter leads.

THE GOOD: If you don’t mind cold calling, being a new sales rep is not a bad gig. Your expectation is to make about 75 to 100 calls a day. The company has a young vibe to it; there is a nice beak room and often fun company events.

Cons

THE BAD: By nature the job is pretty repetitive and this can be bad for some. In order to succeed at level 1 it is a numbers game of calls made that you have to play. Though when you first start, the calls you are making are a new experience for you but most of those you are calling have heard from someone at iMatrix recently. This can make it a tough experience early on.
    THE UGLY: For new reps the salary and commission structure is pretty tough to make a living off of if you are solely supporting yourself. You are told in training about great earning potential but you’ll find that the discounts you are trained to provide to incentivize clients to buy cut into that very commission. Also after working for awhile, being a level 1 consultant can be very tough on morale. Some days you will come into work, bust your butt and get little to no bites for sales. Then you look over to your left and a higher level sales rep that has been chillin gets two incoming leads that net sales for him/her. Most level 3 reps (not all), barely make a cold call. What truly hurts about this is that all reps, no matter what level, are evaluated and paid off the same commission system. So for example if you worked your butt off in a month (100 calls a day) and made 4 that month, it’s a normal thing to see another rep that made little to no outgoing calls but receives incoming leads and tradeshow opportunities and finishes the month with 15 deals. That same rep will have a commission check 3 to 4 times greater than yours. On top of that, there are many perks senior reps get for “performance” that even if you worked hard, you likely won’t get due to the quality of leads they have over you. Unfortunately this structure breeds an unspoken culture of favoritism and inequality. Those at the top get the best opportunities & perks and those at the bottom make the best of the cold leads/opportunities.

Advice to Management

SUGGESTION TO MANAGEMENT: I would mainly suggest that the company consider restructuring how they establish their teams. Instead of organizing the sales staff by product line (vet, chiro & vision), I would suggest to organize the sales staff by seniority. Have all the level 1s sit together, all the level 2s sit together and all the level 3s sit together. Sitting by peers who are in a similar situation can motivate you instead of the discouragement many get from watching their senior reps next to them. In addition to that offer perks & bonuses for more than one measure of performance to engage the 1st & 2nd levels of sales personnel. Examples of some could be regular monthly bonuses for high average call per day, average daily talk time, most appointment sets (cold calling), highest appointment show rate, etc. If these were a part of normal pay for entry level employees, I believe you would retain more employees.