iPass Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
iPass President and CEO Gary A. Griffiths
Gary A. Griffiths

Pros
  • Work-life balance/flexible work hours (in 7 reviews)

• Strong and solid sales team in the US full of good people (but i might be biased) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is in transition with new management (in 8 reviews)

• The only reason anyone is there is because it's easy to hide and do almost nothing because senior management is busy traveling all over the World (in 5 reviews)

"Company in Transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at iPass (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance/flexible work hours
    Competitive compensation
    Executive team very motivated, transparent

Cons

High employee turn-over
    Company is in transition with new management
    Product offerings still ramping up

"A startup project still in restructuring phase..... again."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at iPass full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues. Product does help travelers with their connectivity. Great office location. Lots of responsibility for each team member, and opportunity to make big impact for company. Company is public, fortunes appear to be turning the corner. Word is getting around about the value of the services. Nasdaq: iPAS

Cons

Management views staff as completely disposable. The team experiments and makes large changes on regular basis, and has switched directions a couple times in my short stint here. They are very stingy with bonus and commission compensation. Whether this is their all star performers or people they want to show the door, everybody gets low balled. Turnover is amazing in so many departments. Sales, marketing, HR, operations, finance. It doesn't matter. They have had layoffs for several years, and even with new management 2016 was no exception. They laid off so many people they had to bring back a couple to do critical jobs a couple months later. Nepotism is practiced here despite this being a public company. Good jobs also given to ex-employees and family friends of leadership (ex. CEO, CCO). If you're not in the gang, and things get tough, you are and will be disposable since there are protected staff members here. The public stock and financials look ok, but the restructuring seems to have no end.

Advice to Management

You're turning around the Business for customers. Please invest in employees and morale.

"Bad Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at iPass full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary - if you thrive in chaotic environments

Cons

Company is completely mismanaged. All the C-Level executives talk about cross-functional team work - but when the rubber hits the road, every group is a solid vertical stack with zero willingness to assist other cross functional teams. Nothing is documented. There is no defined process to do anything. Sales people are always selling things that are not on the menu - leaving development and support organizations in the wake of what they sold. The revenue for these off-the-menu items does not supplement the cash flow needs of the organization.

Their core product (Open Mobile) is losing it's value proposition day-by-day as Wi-Fi and end-to-end encryption become more or more common. Changes in executive management have not stimulated the company, but rather, continue to drive if further into darkness. Considerable downsizing has occurred here. Do not recommend.

Advice to Management

Sell whatever is left of your technology platform and close the lights......

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great people, flexible working hours, free access to gym, absolutely amazing Redwood Shores’ location. Free breakfast on Monday and free beer on Friday. All Hands’ Meetings are informative and seem to be a good tradition.

Cons

The morale after layoffs was pretty bad, but it’s getting better. Processes are a little bit chaotic and include a lot of paperwork, sometimes it takes more time to do the job than it should.

Advice to Management

I’d advise to improve processes and to use more cutting edge tools to expedite paperwork and increase efficiency.

"iPass Inc Review"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at iPass full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing environment. Very friendly staff. Energetic team. Everything is teamwork! I feel like I matter here. Flexible hours. Can communicate with the VIPS (CEO, CFO, controller, and etc.)

Cons

Instead of the Turnovers, I do not see any other cons. I really enjoy my job.

Advice to Management

More employee morale maybe. As in, team activities outside of work. We get free breakfast in the morning, which I am very grateful for.

"A make or break transition period"

Current Employee - Sales in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Redwood Shores, CA

Pros

Good coworkers, flexible hours, most people work hard.
    Compensation is pretty good, benefits are mostly good.
    Freeloaders from the Company's heydey period are gone now so remaining folks all work hard and are committed to success - adding to a "startup" feel although it's a mature as hell company. From what I have seen, the CEO is capable and is doing well in getting the Company back on it's feet and is very approachable.

Cons

Overworked employees. Legal and HR are short staffed from what I can see, good luck if you want something urgent from them.

The benefit provider is a nightmare. Costs are good but service is severely lacking.

Big layoff rounds the past few years, basically one a year. This left many people scrambling to backfill positions and duties, with little to no support from those in higher positions. Middle level managers and staff below spent too much time fighting fires that arose because there was no plan in place on who would take care of what when another was laid off. It was pretty clear that there was little to no planning around the aftermath of the layoffs.

Certain members of key management are screamers when things don't go well and seem to like being a person people are afraid of. Creates a horrible environment especially during layoffs . Always irritated me when there was screaming across the room. No one likes bullies.

Feedback/employee reviews - This depends on which team you belong in, but overall - good luck in getting them.

Advice to Management

In a layoff environment, people don't work hard for no reason. What is missing is the "why". After so many lay off rounds in which responsibilities for everyone increased with no pay raises - WHY should an employee be asked to do even more? I think steps have been taken to address this from a comp perspective, but the little things aren't there - the "thank you's" or "good job's" on a consistent basis. Management by fear doesn't work. I'd rather feel that my hard work is appreciated rather than have more beer or big events that take away my time from my already heavy workload.

8. "iPass"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at iPass (Less than a year)

Pros

Good product and flexible timings

Cons

sudden layoff happening always here

iPass Response

Sep 19, 2016 – Office Manager & HR Administrator - EMEA

Thanks for your feedback. At iPass, we understand that our employees all have lives outside of work and we will always strive to keep this in mind when developing our policies that impact our ... More

9. "Struggling company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The people are nice, the schedule is flexible, and they have a pretty nice office with table tennis, foosball, and video games.

Cons

Company is really struggling, has had multiple rounds of layoffs, and morale is terrible. Just not a lot to be excited about going to work.

Advice to Management

Look at getting acquired if you can? I do not really think there is a way to salvage the company any more

10. "A little directionless"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA

Pros

At the time, cool coworkers,

Cons

Overall company messaging & goal lacked substance

Advice to Management

Don't forget to deliver the "how" after saying the "what"

"Silicon Valley Firm, sort of stagnating"

Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at iPass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss was pretty cool, vacation time was no issue, salary was competitive, pretty nice people all around.

Cons

Very difficult to move around, not much growth so everyone is locked into their position and fighting to resurrect the place and occasionally butting heads as a result. There was some bad energy from downsizing that was happening but most of that attitude was RIF'ed. It's just a tough environment for the people there to bring out their best.

Advice to Management

I think they have the right idea: turn the place around (business shrank immensely) and get the share price up, but that'd probably take some really harsh private equity style re-org to accomplish if it's even possible at all. Best of luck, I'd tell you what to do if I knew.