iTutorGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
iTutorGroup Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer Eric Yang
Eric Yang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I enjoy working for iTutorgroup, I love the fact that you can work from home on the schedule that you desire" (in 85 reviews)

• "iTutor Group allows me to create a flexible schedule and meet amazing people from around the world" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Base pay is low, but student ratings matter" (in 37 reviews)

• "Compensation ( base rate ) is location based which creates big difference in salary between teachers for the exact same job" (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I heard so many positive things and just had to apply!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m so happy that I applied to work with iTutorGroup. I kept hearing amazing things about the company and the culture as well as the teaching experiences that I couldn’t pass the opportunity.

Cons

So many people want to be part of iTutorGroup, so you can sometimes feel pressured to push yourself.

Advice to Management

I would love to be invited to visit China someday like some other consultants. Happy 20th Anniversary iTutorGroup!

Jan 20, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

Thanks for your feedback.

It is fantastic to know that you love the job and got the opportunity you want. Thank you for your wish and we hope to see you someday in our office in China!

Have a... More

2. "Remote Tutor"

Current Employee - Remote Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Remote Tutor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at iTutorGroup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient working hours and flexible work schedule

Cons

Lesson plans are not long enough

Jan 23, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed teaching on our platform.

Our lesson plans were designed to cater different students according to the levels of their English proficiency... More

"It teaching English online very similar to other companies"

Current Employee - Home-based Online English Teacher in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Home-based Online English Teacher in Provo, UT

I have been working at iTutorGroup part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 24 hour booking
    - Super Flexible
    - Diversity in classes

Cons

As it compares to other companies it pays less and is becoming less flexible. Consider companies like VIPKID and Magic ears before you settle with this company

4. "Itutorgroup"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX

I worked at iTutorGroup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work at home when you want to.

Cons

I agree, this company was a nightmare. Do not work for them. They do not take ownership for their mistakes. There are plenty other ESL platforms to work for. Do not work with ITutorgroup. They are the worst of the worst. You will be sorry.

Advice to Management

Your teachers matter not just your profits. You need good teachers to stay afloat.

"The worst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none apart from the fact that you can work in your pjs

Cons

The worst online company you can find, only care about making money and treat staff very unfairly and illegally , they should be banned from education

Advice to Management

quit

Jan 31, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

Thank you for the feedback.

We are sorry that you are not satisfied teaching with us. Consultants are truely the key to our platform. We appreciate your diligence and dedication to bringing the... More

"What's to Complain About?"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fortson, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fortson, GA

I have been working at iTutorGroup part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Flexible schedule! You can easily customize your schedule around your life an full time job. Given plenty of notice, the schedulers are extremely helpful and willing to work with you!
    2. Support! TutorABC offers countless opportunities for professional development that are designed to help consultants provide optimal customer service to obtain the highest possible ratings.
    3. Pay! Yes, to start, the base pay is low. However, if a consultant works hard to provide high quality lessons to their students, then they will see their pay increase along with other opportunities to fatten their monthly income. I average $20-$22 an hour working from the comfort of my own home! Not a bad gig!
    3. Easy! Look, students pay a premium for this service so if you smile and, again, teach high quality lessons, then this is EASY work!
    5. Lessons! NO lesson plans! Yes, some of the lessons lack a bit of content but it is so easy to be creative to round out an excellent lesson with flashcards, props, and images from the provided image bank. All you need is some imagination!
    6. Ratings! Easy to get with a few simple tricks: Smile, corrections on the white board, images, props, a fun and engaging attitude....its not that difficult! Yes, once and a while you will come across a student who can be a challenge and might give you a low rating out of spite. BUT these students are few and far between.

Cons

None really if you understand and follow what TutorABC wants you to do. At times, there are minor cultural differences but that is to be expected and easily overcome.

Advice to Management

Personally, I would like to see a ratings challenge if/when a consultant receives a low rating due to a technical issue on their end. Other than that, this is a good company to work for if you need a flexible part time job.

Jan 22, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

We are honored that you have had a great experience with teaching on our platform! Look foward to having you in the new year with more exciting events and news coming.

"Good Job"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at iTutorGroup part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and potential to earn okay money for a "work-from-home" job.

Cons

Cultural sensitivity is a one way road but if you have good internet connection, a decent computer and just put your head down and do your work it shouldn't be a problem.

Advice to Management

I don't believe management cares about employee feedback. Especially non-Chinese employees. They are not bad. Don't get me wrong. It appears to be a cultural thing.

Jan 22, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Consultants are truely the key to our platform. We appreciate your diligence and dedication to bringing the best online learning experience to the students. Our... More

"Unfair Policies"

Current Employee - English Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - English Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedules, Relaxed Environment, Friendly Support Staff

Cons

One-Sided Respect, Policy Changes Without Proper Updates, Poor Lesson Material If You Are Not A Priority Consultant, Recanted Pay

Advice to Management

Advise staff to be fair across the board. Do not give piss-poor material and wonder why the sessions cannot always be stretched to 45 minutes for one student, that is not able to communicate back. Stop being stingy with 25-minute sessions. You must pay employees for working, you can not change the rules as you go and then punish consultants for it.

Jan 22, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We really appreciate the feedback and suggestions on areas for potential improvement. We'd love to envolve consultants to our decision making and material design... More

"Making a positive difference feels great even during the harder times."

Current Employee - Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You always feel like you make a difference and that you help students in some way. It’s the most rewarding part of being a consultant.

Cons

You have to work back to back sessions sometimes if you want to progress.

Advice to Management

Host meet-ups with consultants and staff so we can all meet.

Jan 22, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

It's great to see you enjoying teaching with us! We've always been driven by seeing our platform making a difference to both students and consultants.

10. "I enjoy the other consultants and the students."

Current Employee - Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at iTutorGroup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What makes this job especially good is the people you get to surround yourself with. When you surround yourself with the people at this company, you feel pushed to do a good job and perform well. It helps to have other people who are at the same level aiming to achieve great things.

Cons

It is busy. Your schedule can get packed and you may need to work late hours to accommodate the difference in time zones.

Advice to Management

Give us access to more in-person social events.

Jan 22, 2019 – Teacher Support Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! It is awesome to hear that we could bring the positive connections to you with wider networks. Teaching is really an amazing and rewarding job and we want to expand your... More