There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Good first job, but maybe not the best long-term career decision

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good first job with fair compensation right out of school. The nine by eighty (9 work days x 80 hours) work week is a definate plus that gives you time to have a life outside of your job. And finally, it is a company that I am proud to work for.

Cons

Many of the promotions are handled on a tenure basis and not necessarily on the quality and quantity of your work. This is especially true for employees that have been around for a few years and want to take the next step, but don't have 5+ years under their belts yet.

Understand that the only reason retention is a problem for the younger generation is the fact that HR limits our compensation and career growth based on our tenure and not the quality of the work we put forth.

2435 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for, in my experience they really reward success and hard work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

I have been with LM for over three years, they have always been fair. I started as an engineer and am now part of management. The business unit I work for is like working for a smaller company, they are nimble but have the backing of the Lockheed Martin. The salary's a above average and the benefits are fantastic. Because of economies of scale, my health insurance premiums were cut in half between last year and this year. The ability to move up in the company is there, but you have to work for it. They promote deserving people and reward success.

Cons

You have to be prepared for the work-load. At times working 50-60 hours a week is necessary, but at other times the schedule is flexible. Also, being a defense contractor (even though they do ALOT of space work for other government, Non DOD agencies) can be difficult. You are at the mercy of the government, if there are cut-backs there can be some scrambling to ensure people remain gainfully employed. Another issue is obtaining new business, they are very good at identifying opportunities, but then the follow-through is not always there. My team has identified business in different areas that would be a good fit, but sometimes it goes nowhere when it is pushed up the chain. At my level of program management, I don't always have the time to chase the work when I have to focus on my customer 100% of time.

Invest in more business development. Business Development has to be more than getting a business card from a government rep and turning it over to the directors for action. Try and reduce competition between the various business units would also help, but determining methods of sharing sales credit for work being conducted, it may foster more collaboration between complementary business units instead of competition.

Great company to work with

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Senior Staff in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Senior Staff in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Stability, flexibilty, ability to telecommute in some jobs. The ability to move around to other jobs, locations, and roles is good. I have had the opportunity to work in several different states for Lockheed - including WA, DC, VA, FL, & TX. I have moved around in vocations as well - from software to systems, to management. There is good training here...but it depends a lot on the corporation you work for within Lockheed...they all are run very differently.

Cons

slow career path. maybe a bit to much virtual teaming...would be nice to have more $ set aside for teaming and getting people together

the company seems a bit silo'd not enough sharing between corps. I wish thee was a way to bring people together more...to do retreats to meet the people you work with...don't save all that stuff for directors and up...we need it too!

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin