ACT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2016

2.8

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ACT (New York, NY).

Interview

Was recommended to apply for the position by the former district manager. Did two phone interviews - one with talent acquisition and one with hiring manager. Was told I should hear something within a week and loved everything I had to say. Needless to say two months later no response from anyone. Horrible communication and not worth the effort that went into me writing cover letter, resume, etc. Really disappointing

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to travel 75-80% of the time when the listing said 25-40%   Answer Question

Collection Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ACT (San Angelo, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

It was very professional, and very thorough. They asked quite a few questions about background, and life lessons. It was a few different people asking questions and it was a 3 step interview process

Interview Questions

• what is one thing that you think could you'd bring to our Company?   1 Answer

Customer Engagement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very formal with not a lot of experience required. They are just looking for people who will show up to work every day. As long as you are a down to earth person, you will be fine to get hired as a temp worker here.

Content Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ACT.

Interview

For a candidate seeking a non-leadership position, there were far too many hoops to jump through. A phone interview, a test, a work-product assignment test, then another phone interview, then over 3 hours of in-person interviews with seven people in four different rooms. The interviewers had competing agendas and did not seem very clear on what skill set they wanted. The definition of the position changed throughout the process. In the end, I did not get an offer, but I did get a curt formulaic e-mail for all of my time. I regretted applying, not because I did not get an offer, but because I let my time be wasted by an organization that was already showing signs of inefficiency and in-fighting to an outsider. The vetting process was overkill.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ACT in January 2015.

Interview

Securing a position here is extremely competitive. They receive a lot of applicants. Hiring decisions are left to individual departments, which gives each process a slightly different feel. Overall, the process was well coordinated and easy to follow for my research based department. For internship positions they keep the process on the shorter side, with only one interview for some and then sometimes a test to demonstrate your ability to meet position requirements.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about ACT?   1 Answer
    • What kind of work are you interested in in the future and how do you think this role will help you achieve those aspirations?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ACT.

Interview

Initial phone interview took about 30 minutes, followed by a in-person interview that involved the hiring manager and potential co-workers. The interview was about 3 hours. Also asked to take interactive skill based and detail based assessments. Workkeys exam is required for non-ACT employees. Took awhile from applying to hear back but then things went pretty fast.

Interview Questions

• Asked for a lot of samples, nothing expected. They will ask for salary requirements.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Only time you can request your salary so aim high, no negotiations.

Program Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA) in November 2014.

Interview

Once the application had been moved on to the hiring manager, an interview was scheduled. The time from application to interview was about a month. Interview took place in a small conference room separate from where anyone was working. Met with the hiring manager and a benefits specialist, lasting under two hours. The experience was pleasant and information was shared both ways. No questions were really unexpected. I felt I could present myself well and was able to get my own questions answered.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were related to the job duties of the position for which I was applying. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Interview

2 week process. Good Interview standard questions. met co-workers, toured the place. no questions too tough to answer. a very nice area. Was not too hard to commute.2 week process. Good Interview standard questions. met co-workers, toured the place. no questions too tough to answer. a very nice area. Was not too hard to commute.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary pre-designated

Director, Workforce Planning and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA) in June 2014.

Interview

Very thorough & highly enjoyable candidate experience. I live and work in Oregon, so I flew to ACT's beautiful corporate campus in Iowa City, IA for a day of extensive panel and 1x1 stakeholder interviews. The process was well organized and assembled thoughtfully. Transportation and lodging were first rate and easy to coordinate/settle.

Interview Questions

• ACT is a not for profit organization. Compared with for profit organizations, how does working for a non-profit resonate with you?   Answer Question

Senior Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call within 48 hours from an extremely personable and candid rep of their Talent Strategy (i.e. HR) team. We talked for at least 20 minutes and she answered my questions directly which I appreciated because relocation was involved and I wasn't sure at all if I was ready to make the leap so I was asking some pretty pointed questions right out of the gate. Later that afternoon I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and after an hour or so talking to her the wheels were in motion for me to travel to Iowa City for onsite interviews. The hiring manager's admin literally worked miracles to line up interviews with me with about 8 or 9 people on very short notice and scheduled them all to fit a very tight window I had of basically one afternoon and the following morning. All of the conversations were in the same conference room and were extremely comfortable except one (the highest ranking person, who is no longer with the company). There was a nice cross-section of functions and levels represented (line level up to VP) and I was given time at the end of each interview to ask my own questions. The way the interviewers answered my questions to them were what really sold me on the company. The questions I fielded were generally of the stock variety (what appeals to you about this company/position, what did you enjoy about your last job, how did you handle x challenge or difficult situation, what motivates you, etc.). That said, the culture at ACT is a big deal so the interviews were as much about sussing out a good "fit" as getting to your technical skills and education. It may also explain why I was put in front of so many people even for a non-management position. The company paid all the expenses for my visit and I was treated wonderfully from the moment I set foot on campus. From the time I applied till I received my offer was less than a month and I started within 2 weeks of accepting the position. I was later told by long-timers that this was almost unheard of speed for an ACT hiring but I believe that their hiring process has been streamlined considerably since then so it might not be as unusual now.

Interview Questions

• VP (no longer with the company) asked me in these exact words, "Are you a good writer"?   1 Answer