ACT Reviews | Glassdoor

ACT CEO Marten Roorda
Marten Roorda

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Gross incompetence in key middle- and upper-management positions" (in 11 reviews)

• "Many of my friends really are being outright mistreated by the CEO and other senior leadership" (in 9 reviews)

1. "VP Client Implementations"

I worked at ACT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good managers. Care about people. Work is interesting.

Cons

Confusion about which projects to move forward with.

"No wonder they're losing money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High pay, if you are in the right position, even maybe some autonomy

Cons

Unstable and low pay if you are not in the right position.

Advice to Management

Stop it already with the lay-offs! You just hire more people with fancier titles, creating more managers than employees.

"researcher"

I have been working at ACT full-time

Pros

good working environment, especially co-workers and direct supervisors.

Cons

Job security is the top concern.

"The whole experience was meh"

Pros

Engaging work, not too tough

Cons

Sometimes management is unreasonable

Advice to Management

Ask less and people will actually do more

"Avoid this place, if possible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good PTO and work life balance (depends what projects you are working on)

Cons

Unsecured and toxic atmosphere: "reorganization " seems have a 6-month routine. As an employee, you have no idea what will happen to you or your team, even your manager.
    Lack of morale and clear mission: Although senior management is telling a big and bright picture somehow, it is not clear how to implement, track, measure or adjust the projects/products.
    Tight on budget: don't expect you will get promoted on your diligent work. You need to be in the political "right circle", brag or say the words manager wants to hear. No trust at all. People are wasting time and efforts doing things what they don't even believe right.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee honestly and know what their obstacles are and start to build trust. Treat them as human, because at least you need them to work for you.
    Improve the efficiency in HR department. HR here is not to facilitate the process internal, but to create hurdles .

"IMHO"

I worked at ACT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intelligent and friendly co-workers, but I'm excluding the newer, senior management in this statement.
    A company that really does care about the success of all students and helping people of all workforce levels with their employment. This is the company mission.
    In general employees work to help both internal and external customers wherever possible, again some management excluded.
    37.5 hour work week. Some departments/managers stop you there, others will at least notice if you have to work more than 37.5 and offer flexibility when needed. But there are exceptions here too.
    Decent benefits like 6 weeks of vacation and/or sick time.

Cons

I had left a better review recently, but after speaking with multiple friends still at the company since that review, I've decided to change what I said. Many of my friends really are being outright mistreated by the CEO and other senior leadership. Unless you already have connections in senior leadership or are the type of person to keep your head down and just do as you are told...don't work here!
    Death by meetings. Too many unnecessary and often large meetings.
    Greatest negative in my opinion is that the Board of Directors looks like it doesn't know what it is doing. For example, seriously intelligent, knowledgeable, competent, long-time and sometimes lifetime employees are passed over for senior leadership in favor of outside hires that quickly leave for one reason or another. The last two CEO's they have hired have pulled in completely different directions and both obviously spent huge sums of money doing what they wanted.

Advice to Management

Change! Don't necessarily change your grand plan, but you are definitely going about it all wrong. You had a great company with a great atmosphere and employees. You're ruining it, not improving it.

"Chaos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

6 weeks of PTO to get away

Cons

Another round of job eliminations after yet another major financial investment. The cycle creates serious a lack of trust that the Board, CEO, or Senior Leadership know what they are doing and aren’t running the company into the ground. No one feels particularly safe or happy. Morale is really low. Even if you get a promotion/new position it doesn’t mean in 3-6 months they wont let you go in another round of “reorganization”. No one high in the company seems invested in employee satisfaction or development. It is sad that our mission is helping people achieve education and workplace success but you cant seem to find that within the company.

Advice to Management

Get a clue about what it takes for an investment to become profitable, start caring about your employees, stop promoting people that don’t know what they are doing.

"Don't Work Here, period."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As an employee that has worked for them for almost 10 years, I can say the pros decrease by the day. Okay benefits and PTO, however you may find better by working for the U of I.

Cons

My biggest con, is the decrease in morale and respect for employees. When I first started, the work environment was an "all hands on deck" culture. After years of layoffs, years of fear was instilled to people and employees are chained to their desks on focusing on their own survival. Some of the leadership here bully employees, by yelling at them with the door open for others to hear, dismissing, putting down, and eye rolling at team members in team meetings, snooping through personal items, accusing team members of doing certain things without investigating the event. This list can go on and on. These types of events have been reported to the proper channels, with the solution being that this piss-poor type of leadership gets promoted.

Advice to Management

ACT needs to clean house in HR and in leadership. No one should have to suffer abuse, and this company needs to follow their own policies. This company is sinking fast and needs a complete overhaul for their future.

"Toxic culture. An organization in decline."

I worked at ACT full-time

Pros

Lots of superficial features and benefits. Good place if you are in the elite and top inner circle.

Cons

Senior leaders are incompetent, trust is low, and people are afraid to be honest. Hearing the unvarnished truth is rare.

Advice to Management

Be honest, abolish spin, treat people like adults, not cogs in a machine.

"It Is Time For a Serious Culture Shift"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ACT has a great mission and what they say they are trying to accomplish is very noble and is what attracted me to the company in the first place.
    ACT offers great benefits to employees including, 6 weeks of vacation that most managers let you take at your leisure, great healthcare with different options to suit your needs, flexible work hours so you can come in late one day and be there early another to make up for it, and Friday hours in the summer so as long as you have worked your 37.5 hours you can leave ACT by noon on Friday.
    ACT also allows for people to work remotely in most cases if the need ever arises that you have sick kid, need to be home for a package, or whatever the case might be.
    ACT also has an amazing campus with outdoor working space that makes it not so bad to be at work some days.

Cons

When I said the mission of ACT is great, it is, but it SEEMS great. Once you have been there awhile and understand that ACT cares more about the bottom line than the fact that what they are doing actually affects their customers you too will wonder how they retain their non-profit status. When I started working at ACT in 2014, we were doing such great work. We were going out and actually talking to our customers about what they wanted and understanding the market before putting a product out. Now we spend a year building a product that the market told us they didn't want, put it into the market, they don't buy it, and have to pull it off the market, and have now wasted a year and millions of dollars.
    ACT has been undergoing an agile transformation for the past three years now. However, they wouldn't even know what agile is if it walked up and introduced itself. The amount of overhead processes and micromanagement at ACT is astounding. There are more managers that sit in offices and talk about what SHOULD be done than actually go out and DO something. If you as a worker want to make a decision you will need to get it approved by at like six people before you can start your work which is why development and results are so slow. But don't worry, you will get blamed for the slow process and results.
    Promotions and raises are non-existent at ACT because in most departments your manager doesn't have any idea what you are working on day to day. My manager was so far removed from me, he had no idea I was working on three teams and when I told him that he didn't believe me. Managers need to be someone who has a personal investment in your growth, not someone who got the job because they knew someone at the company and was brought in because they were friends.
    HR is a serious problem at ACT. Over the past 4 years with the company I have either personally experienced, witnessed or been told about other people going to HR about experiences with sexual harassment, sexism, and age discrimination. Yet, in every single one of these cases our HR department either told the person or myself that their was not any evidence, they did not believe them, it was the other persons culture, the other person just didn't know better, or they said they would follow up and they never did.

Advice to Management

Fix your HR department. There should never be a day that someone has to go to work and be afraid that they are going to be harassed or discriminated against for being who they are. Especially in this day and age. Also the resolution to someone coming to you and saying they have been harassed should NEVER be "okay we will send out this video on sexual harassment to the entire department." On those videos, you can push the play button then entirely ignore them, so do you honestly think the person doing any sort of harassment is getting something from them?