APCON Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 15, 2016

2.6

Web Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at APCON (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

I was contacted ~6 weeks after applying through LinkedIn. I had one phone interview which was disjointed and incomplete....not very well led by the recruiter. She asked to continue/finish another day (after calling me 10 minutes late for the 30-minute call) and that you would contact me in a few hours to schedule. I did not hear from her. I sent a "no thank you" note the next day. Messed up process that did not make me feel valued as a potential manager. I wish I had read glass door reviews prior to applying - they were dead on.

Interview Questions

APCON Response

Oct 25, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking to improve our processes. Our Recruitment Team's goal is to gain an understanding of each candidate's knowledge, experience, and abilities ... More

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at APCON (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews and one Skype interview. Flew to Portland for a half day of face to face interviews with a very, very welcoming team. I must say, the entire process was very impressive. I coming from a much larger company and the professionalism exhibited by this staff was second to none.

Interview Questions

• Too many to list. But nothing out of the ordinary. Typical marketing industry questions like experience, processes, financials, etc.   1 Answer

Sep 20, 2016 – Senior Communications Manager

Many thanks for your feedback. Congratulations and welcome aboard. We wish you success in your career at APCON.

Document Control Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at APCON (Portland, OR) in April 2016.

Interview

Each member of the interviewing team was very clear in describing the work environment, which made the process comfortable and easier to form an expectation of role performance. HR communication following was professional and timely regarding results.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable working within the demands of this environment?   1 Answer

Dec 19, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your interview with APCON. We are happy to hear that your experience went well and wish you great success in your career at APCON.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at APCON.

Interview

hiring process was fairly quick from first contact through initial screening plus 2 interviews (6 people). It was about three weeks from initial online submission to offer. Communication was good the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Asked to show samples of prior work.   1 Answer

Sep 11, 2015 – Human Resource Generalist

Thank you for your post on Glassdoor. It is great to have your feedback on the interview process. We are thrilled you joined the APCON team!

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at APCON.

Interview

Brief 30 minute on-site interview with the CEO and COO.
    Phone interview with a Senior Software Engineer that was mostly OO/C++ and network questions.
    Flew to Oregon for a day long interview that was with several engineers that was mostly pseudo code type problem solving. A few general interview type thought experiments

Interview Questions

• Write a function that would detect if two rectangular objects overlapped given their x,y and length/width.   1 Answer

Sep 29, 2015 – Human Resource Generalist

Thank you for your interview review. We really appreciate your feedback. We are excited you accepted the position and wish you great success in your new role!

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at APCON (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The process was odd and uncomfortable. I applied online and had a phone interview with a very inexperienced HR person. She was vague and unsure of how to answer my questions and it seemed she was hiding something. She made me very uncomfortable and I asked if she was a recruiter and she is not. I found it odd that no one in recruiting was talking to me so I read the reviews here and it makes sense now. I decided to not interview anymore with this company.

Interview Questions

• Have I worked for a difficult boss and have I worked without a boss?   1 Answer

Nov 4, 2015 – Human Resource Generalist

Thank you for your interview review. We realize that we have solid competition throughout the employment market. APCON strives to be an employer of choice and your honest feedback helps us to improve ... More

Administrative Function Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at APCON in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online. An internal recruiter left me a voicemail, requesting I contact her to schedule a phone interview. I called to schedule the interview and she chose to interview me on the spot. It was rushed on both our ends. She was attempting to squeeze me in, finding a quiet place to talk. I had an upcoming meeting at the office. The recruiter also said they weren't sure about the title of the job posting. The posting stated a manager level position but was actually more of a senior staff role. That admission was appreciated but a bit disconcerting. It seem as if the posting was misrepresentative of the role, they would have bothered to change it. The best way to describe this process is "disorganized".

Interview Questions

• The interview was easy but the entire process lacked professionalism.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at APCON in September 2014.

Interview

I applied from a public board and was contact by a Human Resources professional out of Oregon by phone for a brief interview. Then I was interviewed by one of the Oregon Directors by phone and another Oregon Director performed an interview via Skype. The last interview was Skyped with the CEO and the first professional from Human Resources.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked standard behavioral based questions.   1 Answer

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at APCON.

Interview

Received an unsolicited call from HR department. Pleasant conversation - did a Skype interview with HR. I agreed to explore the opportunity and HR set up a telephone call with a Sales Director. The Sales Director/Interviewer stood me up twice until we finally chatted.

The call/discussion went very well. We seemed to be on the same page throughout the entire interview, We had some people/customers in common and our technical background was similar. The interviewer had to end the call abruptly but we agreed to meet in person the next time he was in town in approximately two weeks.

HR set up the meeting and we met at a hotel lobby. I decided to break the ice by identifying with the sales director by bringing up the people and background we had discussed we had in common. I found it bizarre that he could not remember a single customer that he had told me on the phone that he knew. Anyway, the interviewer talked a lot about how technical his products are and he seemed very knowledgeable about Apcon, but the longer we talked the more obvious it became that he knew very little about much anything else- the territory, the industries and markets in the territory etc. - He was kind of like what you would call an "empty suit" or what you might call a knowledgeable "order taker".

I got out of there as soon as I could.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, a few questions about my previous company that I felt should not be asked. Very unprofessional.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at APCON.

Interview

It took about 5 weeks to actually meet with the Sales Manager because he was always re-scheduling. We did a telephone interview first and then finally after a few weeks we met in person. The first set of questions seemed to be more about my knowledge of the Apcon products than one would expect - since HR had told me that I would be sent to a Boot camp in Wilsonville to learn the products as soon as I was hired. Anyway, I was prepared to discuss my knowledge of the Apcon products because I had some background in it and I spent time reviewing their website which was very good. After a few minutes of cross - correlating the products and services that I sold with Apcon products it became increasing clear that I knew what I was talking about. As a matter of fact, I viewed this discussion as an opportunity to ask the interviewer marketing questions that I had regarding the application of some of the newer features and partnerships that were described on the website. To my consternation, the sales manager couldn't really explain how any of the features either helped solve any real world problems or pull through the product sale in anw way.

Instead the interview moved on to my background and customer base experience. He asked the same exact questions that we spent on the telephone interview. It was clear that he either could not remember or didn't bother to take any notes. He did have a copy of my resume' with him, however I spent the next few minutes going over the same detail as I had
    before and most all of the initial questions were answered on the resume'. At one point in the interview we got interrupted by the interview taking a cell call, and I tried to redirect the interview back on point when he finished - however the interview moved to asking me detailed questions about my customers, name function etc and seemed this time he seemed to be taking notes. I provided a few answers but decided to ask him if he was verifying my contacts with his known contacts to see if they were in common. The interviewer/sales manager didn't really give me a straight answer, so I asked him if the customers I shared with him were Apcon customers. He told me that he couldn't answer that question. Then I asked him who is customers were in the region and how much business they were doing. He told me that Apcon is a private company and that he would not or could not tell me that information.

At this point it became clear that this was a one way interview. I answered all his questions and it was pretty clear that I was qualified for the position given my past. As a matter of fact, the interviewer went on to explained to me the next step in the process was for me to fly out WIlsonville for a presentation/meeting with others.

When he asked me if I had any questions- I asked two questions- Who was Apcon's biggest competitor and how is Apcon dealing with them. I really didn't receive much of an answer to this either.

I then decided in my mind that maybe I could find out the answers to my questions in Wilsonville, so I asked him for a commitment to the next step. He seemed surprised that I tried to close him and told me that he needed to compare me with other candidates. As I was leaving the thought crossed my mind that the Sales Manager was a bit of a phony. The job description was for a self starter that could managed the entire sales cycle from start to finish. My impression was that he was actually looking for people that he felt were more needy than the job description, more likely to need his help with either the product knowledge or the sales cycle or both and if my impressions was accurate, I may have made him feel insecure.

I never did hear back from then,

Interview Questions

• The unexpected questions centered around detailed questions about MY customers without and feedback as to why.   Answer Question