APCON Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at APCON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been APCON for more than 1 year. It is a small company where focus is on getting products out of the door on time and with quality. Being a small company you get a chance to work in different areas. Turnover is high as compared to other places I have worked before and you are held accountable. Reason I choose to stay here is because you get to work on new products and things move fast. Most of the co-workers are willing to help.

Cons

If you don't deliver you will be out very soon. Bonus payouts are not predictable. It is supposed to be quarterly but max I have seen them pay is 2 times a year.

Advice to Management

You have run the company successfully for more than 20 years. Think what needs be done to be successful for next 20 years.

Sep 20, 2016 – Senior Communications Manager

Many thanks for your positive comments. APCON recognizes that its employees across the company are committed to delivering the best products to its customers. Thank you for your contribution towards... More

"Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

Pros

Great community and team here. The environment truly is innovative and collaborative; I enjoy being able to contribute to the business. Aside from the great people, our technology is cutting edge. APCON is a company I am proud to work for.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. Everyone works hard and works as a team. Be a team player and do your job if you want to be successful.

Advice to Management

Appreciate how approachable everyone is.

Sep 16, 2016 – Senior Communications Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback on the working environment and the company’s products. We wish you continued success in your career at APCON!

"Good people, BAD LEADERSHIP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at APCON full-time

Pros

Good and smart people, decent pay and good benefits, New building in teh Dallas area, and good facilities in our HQ

Cons

most things previously written about the CEO are pretty accurate. He has his say in every aspect of the business and if you feel you might have a difference of opinion, you're done. He changes business models at his own, and no one else discretion. Has no respect for any other opinion but his own. Most current employees feel the same way and are afraid to make any kind of suggestion. Most manager can't and won't make any decisions because of fear of any repercussion from the CEO. Every employee is at a fear that they could be gone from one day to the next, as it has happened many of times with out warning.

Desperation is touch, but I recommend stay away and don't suffer the stress and anxiety this company brings on all of it's employees.

Advice to Management

No need to make any suggestions because the CEO has placed a Suggestion box over the Trash can with an empty bottom.

Sep 16, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We take each review seriously and we want you to know that it helps us to make improvements throughout the company. We value our employee’s dedication and contributions... More

"Great place for interns"

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Richardson, TX

Pros

It's difficult for a former employee to objectively evaluate a company but I will do my best. I can only comment on that which I have direct experience which is the firmware and the hardware. Apcon hardware is the best in the business with manufacturing defects in the parts per million that can be counted on one hand. The hardware never breaks, it’s solid-state, American made quality. There are also some very well maintained pieces of software, specifically any software that is not micro managed by the hardware managers. The desktop apps and mobile apps are well made and the efforts of those teams deserve commendation. There is some absurdity on glassdoor about bullying from some butt hurt walking lawsuit but it deserves no further comment. There is also an excess of comments about the CEO which seemed to be mass hysteria. I had limited interaction with Richard but they were all pleasant, he seemed reasonable and measured. The negative comments come from Oregonians who have a reputation for suing everyone that looks at them the wrong way, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cons

The firmware, is one of the most poorly written and maintained cluster kludges that I have witnessed in 20+ years. It is my observation that Apcon has made a series of predictable mistakes and lacks the experienced leadership in proper software development to correct course. The firmware department is heavily managed by hardware engineers and they make the sophomoric mistakes that even junior software engineers avoid. It is because of their lack of meddling in Apcon’s other software offerings that those projects have a measure of success. Apcon hires two types of firmware engineers; fossils and interns. The fossils haven’t learned anything new since the 70s and the interns learn from the fossils. So, though there is occasional fresh DNA in the gene pool, it is quickly corrupted and bad practices are replicated. The behemoth of firmware spaghetti code looks like it was written in anger by a masochist who picked up C programming as a therapeutic substitute to cutting himself with a razor blade. It’s the effect of hardware engineers mascaraed as software engineers so you get things like zero code coverage analysis, zero static analysis, zero dynamic analysis, free-for-all source control and technical debit measured in decades and man-years. The bulk of the firmware dinosaurs don't even use debuggers, I know, its 2003 and we've had debuggers for 15 years so it's excusable. What? It's 2016?! Sorry, there's no excuse and that's unacceptable in any modern environment. Working smart is no substitute for working hard at Apcon. Since the hardware managers have no concept of a well run software project, it is preferable to furiously run in-place because it’s a demonstrable exertion of energy rather than meticulously correcting course. I had this conversation with managers several times and it was expressed that it’s preferable to run cross country than fix the flat tire and drive. Management's "fix" is to throw more bodies at the problem like 9 women can make a baby in a month. There are a handful of good engineers in the firmware department but they practice Mortgage Driven Development, keep their heads down and milk the decrepit cow. Apcon is a good place for people who stopped learning in the 80s and have no interest in expressing their creativity. It is also a good place for people who like to work really, really hard. If working smart is your preference then Apcon is not a good fit. If you have learned from any of the advancements in software engineering this century or think outside the box then Apcon is probably not a good fit.

Advice to Management

Your firmware has passed a critical mass stage and time has passed for important business decisions. Sadly, the wrong choices are being made. Throwing more bodies on the pyre is not the correct course of action as many studies and books have shown. Grab a copy of the Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks. The firmware has undergone mismanagement for so long that the correct course of action is a complete rewrite with new leadership and modern tools. Demote the dinosaurs to junior roles until they demonstrate practices consistent with this century. Put hardware guys in the hardware department and let software guys run software. Also, the metrics used for measuring the department's productivity are silly. Bring in an independent consultant to establish meaningful metrics so you can have proper visibility into what is actually going on. Lines of Code has been disqualified as a meaningful metric by the industry for over 20 years.

Aug 11, 2016 – Senior Communications Manager

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate your comment highlighting APCON’s solutions as being the best in the business. Our employees play a key role in ensuring our customers are confident that... More

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at APCON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am unsure who authored the post in April, sounds a bit misdirected and a less than accurate reflection . APCON is a smaller tech environment that initially offers a perception (short lived) that you can impact your job/role, good pay and a nice breakout/lunch area - showers - good location and parking ease.

Cons

CEO - poor leader, highly political who fosters a hostile work environment / culture, Turnover/exodus in the last 6 months with a purging/lost of many longtime people (VP sales, Inside Sales).

Advice to Management

Step aside and bring in a fresh management team whosees people as assets

May 6, 2016 – Human Resource Generalist

Thank you for taking time to write a review. At APCON, we are passionate about our business and making a difference for our customers and our colleagues. It’s our joint efforts and passion for... More

"CEO = Psychopath Next Door"

Former Employee - Management in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Management in Wilsonville, OR

Pros

The many talented people who work at APCON - CEO does not deserve to have the talent only to turn around and treat them so poorly. The people are great. Nice building - I had to bring a few personal items to use on the job - because CEO is so cheap - it wasn't worth the hassle. His inter-circle are "yes" people - if not they would be fired. Never say no to him - or have an opinion of your own.

Cons

CEO is the poster of psychopath. He fits the profile to a "T". I have seen CEO hire 2 employees in the same exact role - only to pit them against each other. Pure mean streak. He gets his kicks in ruining careers and tearing people down. The moment you show even a hint of having an opinion - you are gone. 100% his way - ON EVERYTHING. CEO lives to humiliate any and everyone. No one is untouchable. I'm sure the positive reviews are written by the CEO. He's not above it.

Advice to Management

Do the employees a favor and retire - sell the company. Put them out of their misery from your horrific leadership.

May 6, 2016 – Human Resource Generalist

All Glassdoor posts are reviewed by senior managers and the HR department. APCON does encourage employees to raise any issues or concerns about the work environment with either their manager or with... More

"FUN. HARD."

I worked at APCON full-time

Pros

I worked at APCON for 5 about years and I can sum up that experience in 2 words….1. Fun 2. Hard. Like most everything in life, you get out what you put in. I can say I experienced some of my best, my proudest, and most accomplished moments at APCON, but they were also the hardest, most time consuming, and most frustrating career moments as well. Because the successes were so hard and took so long to achieve, they felt fantastic when we met them. Like all good things, they must come to an end and even though I no longer work there, my life and career will forever be tied to that little company and the people in it. If you like working in an environment where you will be challenged in ways you never imagined then APCON is the place for you. If you want an easy, no stress environment then APCON isn’t a match. High tech in general is stressful, fast, and competitive, but a highly rewarding industry.

Cons

It will age you, it will challenge you, and it can chew you up and spit you back out. It is not for the faint hearted, but for those of us who like the adrenaline and roller coaster ride high tech is the place to be.

Advice to Management

It’s easy to Monday morning quarterback and say if I were CEO, I would blah.. blah… blah.. but until I am the CEO I’ll keep my opinion to myself. We are all human trying to do our best. We make mistakes, we judge, we get mad, and we get frustrated. So my advice to any management is to remember your staff are human just like you…flawed and are doing the best they can.

Sep 29, 2015 – Senior Communications Manager

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We are thrilled to read your positive comments and are happy to hear you consider your time at APCON as providing some of your proudest and accomplished... More

"Run. Away. Train."

I worked at APCON full-time

Pros

This product is amazing. Those working on it are fortunate. I spent the first three months at my job primarily doing research on the product, competitors and the market in general in this area. I can tell you that this is a high-end and utterly superior line of network security hardware. It is an exciting time for this business as it goes forward with new launches and fresh ideas. The opportunity that APCON gave me is much appreciated and I go forward into a new career that I would not have been prepared for had it not been for this company. I have great respect for the directors who are some of the most professional and truly gifted people that I have ever worked around. Since graduate school, I have not seen this high level of professional and personal standards that these people display. I fear for the future of this product as, unless it is acquired, it may not make it to the place that it deserves to go. It needs to be set free.

Cons

There is nothing about the CEO that is positive to say here. There is no reason that anyone at all should ever, and I mean ever, have to tolerate such abuse. What it creates is a toxic and hostile work environment. Please read these posts carefully and really think about them. Every person who has written something negative about the company only does so in relation to the CEO, not the product and this means something. I saw the writing before I took the job and I knew that I would be facing a contentious leader but, I wanted the opportunity… I like a challenge and I wanted my foot in the door.

I have not left a job in the way that I left this one since I was 16 years old, working in a corporate sandwich restaurant. I would never leave a company without giving notice and I would never leave a job that I loved so much if I did not feel that it was crucial to my sanity and health to do so. Let me preface that with this: I have a Masters degree; I've also had many jobs... none of which fired me, none of which I left on bad terms (except the old sandwich shop) and none of which didn't either outsource or downsize in the extreme. I have been known in all of my jobs as one of the hardest workers with great results and stunning reviews from clients and the people that I've served. I am a Customer Service, in the extreme, Professional… I go above and beyond for my customers, clients and candidates. At this job, I received praise on a regular basis from those people that I came in contact with outside of the company. However, inside... no one seemed to know or care about this. I felt like I worked in a tense and cyclonic vacuum... After several people in my department left, I took over a plethora of work that I was prepared for but, not entirely versed in and I made incredible progress and sorted out what could have been a major bump in the road for the company. I received the highest compliments on my performance from candidates and I am grateful of that.

However, no one… not one person… really cared.

On my last day, I had my first real confrontation with the CEO. I can tell you that this “conversation” was by far the worst one I’ve ever had with anyone that I have reported to, and I’ve had some “interesting" leaders in my life. This was not interesting; to me it was scary and odd.

I stayed completely calm the entire time while holding onto my folder with a death-grip… not because I was scared of this man but because I was afraid that I would pass out from anxiety and shock or I would unravel and tell him what no one else will. I am an honest person. I have no patience for fake behavior and therefore, unless I was talking to a client and telling them about our CEO in the most gentle (and not entirely honest) way that I could, I stay very real with people that I work with and for. Being real here does not work. Every word you say can be whipped into something that means absolutely nothing that you meant it to mean... every action and word is scrutinized in a way that I've never seen before. It is not productive, not at all empathetic and most certainly, not at all reasonable. There is not trust, no loyalty on the part of the CEO and no way to discern where you stand.

This CEO displays the most abusive, volatile, hostile and confused personality, like a chaotic hubris, that I have never been witness to. What is displayed comes at you in waves and flips back and forth from one contradictory thought to the next causing a build-up of anxiety in the entire room, it's as if you are standing before a scene in a movie that is about to turn into a major explosion or crash. There is no clarity at all in the way that this CEO displays himself. One has no way of navigating it and no way of knowing what to do with the run-away-train that is before him or her.

All I know is that I was not going to stay and be the brick wall that he so desperately appears to want to hit.

I wish you all the best. Read carefully and think critically.

Advice to Management

Stand up to the CEO... for real. Do this as a favor to yourselves and those that work so hard for you.

Dec 7, 2015 – Senior Communications Manager

We appreciate your time to write a review. Thank you for recognizing that this is an exciting time for APCON’s business. The company’s latest products are taking APCON into new markets and are... More

"Great place to get challenged, experience, meet awesome people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at APCON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like hardware? Like software? This is a great place to be to see how both of them communicate. The people at Apcon are fantastic, everyone watches out for each other and are very friendly. The culture of Apcon sounds/feels like a start-up organization since it's small, but it really brings a impact to your career by delivering experience and knowledge.

Cons

Benefits were mediocre, but it's better have some than to have none.

Advice to Management

A project description saying what goes in and what doesn't go in will help the vision of the products. And also help move the products forward into other releases.

Dec 7, 2015 – Human Resource Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to read your positive comments! Employee benefits are continuously reviewed to ensure we are remaining... More

"EgoManiac Owner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at APCON (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to play pacman all day and simply collect a paycheck. Don't expect to do any real work, just a lot of head nodding and "yes sir", then back to pacman.

Cons

The only decisions you are allowed to make at this company is what you can have for lunch. Be prepared

Advice to Management

The owner should let somebody else lead the business. The only thing the owner is effective at is bringing down the morale of the workforce. All other execs are great, and if the owner weren't in the picture, the organization would actually be capable of growing.

Dec 23, 2015 – Senior Communications Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We take each review seriously and we want you to know that it helps us to make improvements throughout the company. We wish you the best of luck in your career endeavors.