Abcam Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Abcam Interview Questions

2.6

Desktop Support Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

S. called from HR in Boston, I called back and he returned that call minutes later. I had a stupid error on my resume, which he took as the basis to suspiciously question me as if I was trying to deceive him. This set the tone for the entire interview. He wasn't outright mocking me, but he did lecture me 3 times for no apparent reason other than to make me feel ignorant and assert his dominance rather than ask me what I meant or to clarify what I said. He was like a cop in an interrogation room asking me why I am so nervous. In fairness, it went bad immediately and I never fully recovered.

He said they had a surprising number of candidates and he knew how he felt about my suspicious "lack of formal training" before he called, so why didn't he just delete my resume?

Definitely a low water mark for me, but I haven't had to go through other jaded, fully corporate HRs officers yet. I did learn quite a bit from the experience and made a few changes to my resume.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your job?
      Why do you want to work for Abcam?
      Describe the CompTIA A+ Certification.
      1 Answer

Lab Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

One of the most unprofessional companies I have ever come across. Do not apply for an Abcam job. I learned all that I needed about the company culture through the interview process.

My process started online where I had submitted an application. I then received a voicemail and an email around 4 weeks later asking for a phone interview. Since I currently work, having a phone interview out of the blue is near impossible and things like this must be arranged ahead of time. However, despite my repeated attempts to reply to the recruiter through email, I did not get a response. At the same time, the recruiter keeps trying to call me randomly. So I then try to call them back when I am available. As luck would have it, both of us failed to reach one another through randomly calling when one was available. I kept leaving voicemails asking the recruiter to please arrange a time through email but this never happened. Finally, after a week and a half of back and forth, I received another call but was in the middle of an important meeting at my current position. Having had enough of this nonsense, I excused myself from the meeting feigning an emergency and immediately called the recruiter back. I go through a few generic questions about why I was interested in the position. Throughout the phone interview, the recruiter kept rushing through and was strangely curt.

At the end, the recruiter asks me how much notice I would need should they choose to ask me to come in for an in person interview. I reply back saying a standard weeks worth of notice would be sufficient. The recruiter acts bewildered, asks me why I would need so much time and says they would only give a single days notice. Well, I currently work, my schedule is packed, and meetings and appointments are decided well in advance. Apparently, this is in huge contrast with Abcam, which I assume does everything on a last minute basis. Reluctantly, I agreed to a single days notice and that was that. A week later, I receive an email asking me for an in person interview for the next day. I had to pull some strings at my job and somehow made it work.

The location in Kendall Square is absolutely a mess. There are no signs outside the building and the job posting failed to mention that the job was not at the Abcam main office, but at a subsidery of Abcam. (still in Kendall Square) The communication from Abcam also failed to mention that the main door, which was unmarked, was locked and required that I contact them to open the door. The inside of the building and the Abcam subsidery offices were run down and very unsightly. Be prepared for silly questions during the interview.

After the interview, I ask the interviewer specifically if Abcam would notify me about whether or not they would offer me the position. I know of many other companies that just do not notify you if an offer isn't made. Some specifically say that a lack of contact would mean that an offer wasn't made, but Abcam's communication did not include such a phrase. I waited 2 weeks and there was no response from Abcam. I then called the interviewer directly and asked them about the status of my application. Acting surprised, the interviewer tells me that she thought the Abcam HR department had contacted me a week ago about the offer. Right on the spot, I declined the offer, said my good-byes, and hung up. This is not a company worth working for.

Lessons learned here are as follows. Abcam has no sense of proper scheduling, works on a last minute basis, and has an internal communication problem among others that one would surely find out upon actually working for them. A complete waste of time. Avoid at all costs.

Interview Questions

• How many McDonalds exist in the US?   1 Answer

Sales Specialist - MiRNA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Had 2 phone interviews which went very well. Had a Skype interview, which i thought went very well. At the end of the Skype interview the person said that she would contact me about setting up a Face-to-Face interview. Instead, i got a rejection email 2 weeks later. I was surprised, and asked for some sort of feedback, got no response from Abcam. I was very disappointed at how unprofessional the hiring process was.

Interview Questions

• Basic skill set questions, how i would tolerate all the traveling involved, etc.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Kind of unorganized but they ask the general questions you find online. They are mostly looking for people that will blend with the friendly environment. If you can talk like a normal person and communicate in a professional yet casual manner you can get the job

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond the call of duty at your profession.   Answer Question

Logistics Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

Got connected through a recruiter and got called for an in-person interview 2 weeks later. Met with two logistics managers. Interview was easy and straightforward to make sure the fit was good. Got offered the job the next day. I wish I had longer to decide, as they wanted an answer that night.

Customer Service Specialist - Burlingame, CA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Burlingame, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

The position was posted on Glassdoor.com on October 9, 2013. I applied online (October 10, 2013) thru Glassdoor.com which redirected me to Abcam, a company in Cambridge, MA & UK.
    Abcam acquired Epitomics Inc. I used the company email address to inquire about the status of my online application after 2 weeks. No answer. So, I contacted an HR Recruiter in MA then tried contacting a HR Generalist thru LinkedIn.com in Burlingame, CA and she answered.

At the end of the month, I got a phone and 1-to-1 interview with the Supervisor & colleague in MA on video conferencing. The Supervisor mentioned that they were not going to have 2nd interview till the end of the year (December).

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about skill set related to Customer Service and Microsoft software, for example Outlook(email), WORD, PowerPoint, etc... Personality traits and what word or phrase would you used to describe oneself. I mentioned honesty and being genuine.

I had received a voice mail message saying that I would be contacted in the first week of Dec. for a 2nd interview. I was not so I emailed & attached the voice mail message of stating that I would be contacted (to refresh the Supervisor memory). A couple of hours later, I received another voice message stating that I was not chosen for the 2nd interview.

I saved both voice mail messages & I am hoping to get in contact with the Senior HR to let her know of these messages b/c they are totally opposite of each other. The first voice mail message stating that I would get a 2nd interview & the second voice mail message stating I was not chosen. The discrepancy is disingenuine.

I just got off the phone with the Senior HR and she was no help at all in understanding. When I asked, the Senior HR stated that 100 candidates
      applied for the position.
      Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Cambridge, MA) in March 2011.

Interview

Normal, "What are your greatest weaknesses/strengths?", "Can you tell me about a time...". The usual wankery. 2 rounds of interviews either in person or via Skype. Nothing too complicated but know the company's history when you go.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abcam (Boston, MA) in January 2010.

Interview

Q1. Your degree
    Q2. Your skills
    Q3. Benefits package
    Q4. relocation

Interview Questions

• How many years working experience for this position?   1 Answer
    • Did u have hands-on? If yes, what kind of hands-on you did.   1 Answer

EMEA Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Abcam (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Since I live in Greece, the interviews were held through Skype. They contacted me through e-mail and arranged each meeting many days ahead, so I had enough time to prepare. Since they had to assess me through online interviews at this stage, they went through a series of Skype meetings and an interview task. It was challenging but it helped me show my skills and fully understand the role and its requirements. All the people I met were very warm and nice. They made you feel confident, relaxed and helped you do your best.

The major part of the interview process was with the marketing team where they explained in detail the role and the company. Although we went through the typical stressful interview questions, the people of the team were so professional, polite and understanding that by the end of the meeting it felt like talking with friends. Even though it was an online meeting.

My interviews with the HR manager and the General manager were surprisingly pleasant, although I was initially intimidated. The questions were interesting and to the point, and their approach direct and friendly. They made you feel relaxed and confident, while the conversation was engaging and enlightening.

All the people of this company seem to be really warm and kind. I think that shows the team strength and friendly atmosphere of the company. I am really looking forward to being part of it.

Interview Questions

• What part of the role you find more challenging?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Friendly and direct. They were happy to listen to me and answer my questions.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Abcam (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

The Interview process was really friendly and dynamic. I did not pass the interview at the first time, they needed a German speaker, but as soon as they had another free vacancy the gave me a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Abcam?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offer me a part-time job.
    I accepted it because the conditions are very good.